JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to have .ZIP file extraction support in JDownloader?
Yes, please. 38 92.68%
No, I don't care for it. 2 4.88%
I'm Neutral. 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20.01.2010, 12:01
Fibre Channel User

Arrow JD unZIP - Extracting ZIP files

I absolutely love the JD Unrar Plugin extension. It works very well, saving us a ton of time and disk space.

It also extracts the .RAR file contents so much faster than I would later on, probably because the file is still fresh in RAM/SWAP when it just has ended downloading.

The only problem is that whenever we have a .ZIP compressed file instead of a .RAR, the plugin does not work. I don't really understand why, because a ZIP decompression algorithm shouldn't be hard to find.

So, I would like to request/suggest/plead/beg for a JD unZIP plugin. It might be a new one that behaves just like the JD Unrar or maybe it might be enough just to add .ZIP file support to the already existing plugin (JD Unrar).

Please... Can it be done?
Old 20.01.2010, 13:31
sdman

I know that (i'm not sure) JD will uncompress all compressed file types soon... Am I right ?
Old 20.01.2010, 14:48
remi

There are many more archiving formats. 7-Zip is being integrated into jD (use board search) and supports most of them.
Old 20.01.2010, 17:23
Fibre Channel User

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
There are many more archiving formats. 7-Zip is being integrated into jD (use board search) and supports most of them.
I don't know if this is good or bad... I don't want to loose the functionality we already have on the JD Unrar plugin.

Can you point me to this 7-zip discussion or give some more info about it?

I couldn't find it anywhere in this forum...
( tried both ZIP and 7-zip on all open forums and only got "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.")
Old 20.01.2010, 18:55
Community Manager

Bugtracker ticket

*closed*
Guys next time pls use the boardsearch!!

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 22.01.2010, 00:53
JD Legend

Zip issue can be sticky.
Old 22.01.2010, 00:55
Community Manager

Nope, it's just another requested feature which you can also find in the bugtracker...

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 22.01.2010, 06:41
Fibre Channel User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspzockerscene View Post
Guys next time pls use the boardsearch!!
I did, more than once, and it returned absolutely nothing...
(tried both ZIP and 7-zip on all open forums
and only got "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.")
Isn't that strange?
(that a simple search for ZIP on the board returns nothing)
I thought it might be a glitch related to my Browser (Opera 10),
but nope, it's the same results in Firefox too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspzockerscene View Post
Nope, it's just another requested feature which you can also find in the bugtracker...
I went and saw the bugtracker.
I fail to see how this great feature, meant to improve
the program, could be a bug.
But that's not the point; I'm not really asking for
"multiple archive formats (e.g. 7zip)" support;
I just wanted the most "ancient" and common available compression
format available out there: ZIP.

When I said "It might be a new one that behaves just like the JD Unrar",
what I meant is this:

We all know that the great JD Unrar plugin relies on a single executable
to do the actual file extraction ("JD folder"\tools\Windows\unrarw32\unrar.exe)
and probably takes the resulting messages/codes to determine if the extraction was
successful or not. We know there's 3 executables, one for each major OS (windows, Linux, mac-OS).

What I was really thinking about is taking the code that already exists
(and is very successful) for extracting files in .RAR format and copy it,
adapting to cope with another executable that would extract the most
common compression file (.ZIP).

I'm guessing it's easy enough to find a freeware that could take the role of
"unrar.exe" for .ZIP files (for all 3 OS's - I suggest **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**).
The next step would be just adjusting the result messages/codes to pass on to the
program for checking if the extraction was successful, etc. While this might not
be that easy
, it's a whole lot easier than implementing an "universal"
file extraction for every other format available
(.7Z / .ACE / .ARC / .ARJ / .B64
/ .BZ2 / .CAB / .DEB / .GZ / .IMF / .JAR / .LHA / .LZH / .LZMA / .LZO / .LZX / .NTX / .PEA
/ .RPM / .SIS / .SIT / .TAR / .TBZ2 / .TGZ / .TZ / .UHA / .UU / .UUE / .WZ / .XPI / .XX /
.XXE / .YENC / .Z).
While I believe some of these formats are really popular, I'm guessing that the .ZIP is
uncontested as the number 2 format in popularity (or maybe even number 1).

Bottom line, what I'm advocating here is that this mimicking solution for the .ZIP format
could be implemented a whole lot faster than any other solution and would make
the most number of users really happy.
Old 22.01.2010, 10:55
remi

I tried an external search engine and I easily found many references. Among them are :-

Using 7-Zip-JBinding to extract downloaded archives

Bug #1173: JDUnrar: Support for multiple archive (e.g. 7zip)
Old 22.01.2010, 15:59
remi

Unbelievable. I tried "7-Zip" (I used double quotes), 5 characters and nothing found.

It must be fixed, otherwise we can't use it and a link to an external search engine must be provided in order to search the forum.

Last edited by remi; 22.01.2010 at 16:02.
Old 03.03.2010, 01:04
Fibre Channel User

One month and a half later, there is no indication that the "7-Zip-JBinding" plugin will ever leave (or even enter) "the drawing board". We can't find any indication here that anyone took this project seriously or developed it to any point.

I'm not complaining; as I previously stated, it's not an easy task; it's expected to be complicated, specially when the goal is to provide support for so many different compression formats.

I'm still convinced that a whole lot of people would like and benefit from a very simple JDUnzip plugin, mimicking the successful (implemented and tested) code from the JDUnrar plugin.

I only wish some developer could read this and agree with me...
Old 03.03.2010, 06:07
JD English Support (inactive)

Several developers have read this and agree with you. The JD 7zip plugin is being worked on by a 7-zip expert, outside the normal team. We do not expect feedback until it is ready for Beta test. In the meantime, you can use the JDinfo File Writer addon to keep track of passwords and other information.

Thank you for keeping us on our toes, but with an all volunteer team, it takes a long time to make some things happen. The team is understaffed and must work on some core parts of the code.

If you know any Java or JavaScript developers who might be interested in helping, please have them email support@jdownloader.org. We also need translators and support people (especially in Polish, my Polish is awful).

From suggesting improvement to development and even donors to keep the servers running, everybody's help is appreciated. Our "pay" is that we get to use a better JDownloader and we gain experience in new areas. I am getting experience in customer service (in 4 languages). Who knew that I would be using machine translation to confuse people in so many languages!

Last edited by drbits; 21.07.2010 at 05:03.
Old 03.03.2010, 10:45
JD Manager

zip support is planed by using the 7unzip binary same way we currently use unrar binary.
we first need to evaluate if the 7unzip binary works the same on every os (linux i can test myself, but we need tests on windows/mac)
if it works same on all os, an intergration into jd is possible and not so complex. its mainly finding the right parameter and updating the regex to match the binaries output.
development has slowed down, because myself and coalado are very busy besides jd at the moment and we also have to finish university as fast as we can so we can work fulltime on jd again.

our next goal is to optimize performance/reduce ressource hunger and close alot of bugtracker tickets
Old 03.03.2010, 12:36
remi

Does this mean that Boris Brodski (7-Zip) is no longer working on this integration?
Old 03.03.2010, 14:06
JD Manager

i dont know more than he wrote last time in forum. no contact to him
Old 03.03.2010, 20:24

If Boris is not going to help with the integration, there are more choices.

Peazip (**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**) was designed to be portable. It is LGPL. It is written in Pascal. I have not found the command-line or SDK information yet.

7-Zip is a Windows program, with a Posix port.

The 7za library is designed to be called from programs on various OS. It may be easier than program integration. The SDK is available: **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

p7zip is a Posix (C++) port of the 7-zip program. The source should be compilable for any of our platforms.
**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

A Java package implementing part of the 7za library interface is
**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

None of these include unrar. That is still proprietary. That would mean choosing a merge/decompression program within the plugin. However, I believe the 7za library includes most merging.

Last edited by drbits; 03.03.2010 at 20:50.
Old 05.03.2010, 04:58
Fibre Channel User

Quote:
...development has slowed down, because myself and coalado are very busy besides jd at the moment and we also have to finish university as fast as we can so we can work fulltime on jd again. our next goal is to optimize performance/reduce ressource hunger and close alot of bugtracker tickets
Hi, Jiaz,
thank you so much for your reply!

I mostly wanted to know what was the "official" position on this subject and how things were going with the 7-zip plugin. I completely understand the understaffed/time consumption issues. I was under the assumption that the "jd-crew" (developers) had grown bigger since the enormous popularity of the program; for that I apologize.

I have no problem waiting as long as it takes to have this ZIP extraction functionality on the program, since the program is already amazing and works perfectly as it is now. I'm glad most developers are "on board" with this idea, as drbits pointed out.

Thank you all for the amazing work you've done so far with the program.

Cheers!
Old 05.03.2010, 13:32
JD Legend

I never had a zip-file when downloading with JD. I rather prefer tar support than zip support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio20 View Post
I was under the assumption that the "jd-crew" (developers) had grown bigger since the enormous popularity of the program
Exactly, that's what I don't understand. I hope the developers out there will gain interest in our project.

-------------------------------------------

Besucht meinen Entwicklerblog: mike-bonn.de

Last edited by vivalostioz; 05.03.2010 at 13:36.
Old 06.03.2010, 01:56

1) The official position is that zip and other archive support will be added. All of the packages we have looked at support zip, 7z, tar, gz, and bz2. We may have to support unrar using the same (crude) package we are using now, because that is a proprietary format.

2) One of the problems we have dealing with split archives of any type is knowing that we have all of the pieces before we try to reconstitute the original files. We will probably add some checks for that later this year (as well as keeping Download Units, the set of files for an archive together).

3) Of course we want to support tar. However, I would be much more interested in tgz. Both should be in available eventually. The format we probably will not support is the old Mac SIT (StuffIT) files. That is proprietary and there is little call for it. If I had my way, we would support either everything in peazip or in 7-zip.

4) As indicated earlier, we expected help from Boris Brodski on this, but we haven't hear from him in months.

5) It is hard to recruit volunteer developers for a mid-level project. High profile projects like Mozilla have an easier time. Currently, our two Managers are in real-life crisis mode. Since they are also the most prolific developers, we are left with a major hole in the development team.
Old 18.04.2010, 18:15
darkdragon-001

Lightbulb

Until this option is integrated, could you please make an option to run the downloaded file after it's finished.
Then make some options, to only run files with special endings, like archives, images and so on.

Then it's perhaps easier to wait until this great feature will be there
Old 18.04.2010, 20:39

Sorry, that was recently proposed and the managers rejected it.

Again, part of the delay is because a member of 7zip volunteered to work with us and disappeared. Part is also that there are more general (and even basic) things that need to be rewritten.
Old 12.09.2010, 04:43
JD Legend

Anyone know if this will ever be done?

If a unrar can be made why can't unzip be, i mean zip files have been around a lot longer.
Old 12.09.2010, 09:41
JD Manager

becasue it needs time, and we are short of manpower and day only has 24hours
Old 12.09.2010, 13:48
remi

@Tyler

If you can find a good Java programmer, please refer her/him to jD's developers page and "First Developer Steps".
You can contact the developers with support@jdownloader.org

See also :-

- Using 7-Zip-JBinding to extract downloaded archives (the famous Boris Brodski thread)

- Bug #1173: JDUnrar: Support for multiple archive (e.g. 7zip)
Old 13.09.2010, 05:31

Assuming that the Event Manager permits asynchronous calls to external programs, you will be able to run programs after they complete download. You will also be able to write an external script to call 7-zip for .zip files, execute newly downloaded .exe files (possibly under Sandboxie), and so on.

This is part of the additional details I added to the Event Manager feature request, but I don't know whether the developers will implement it.
Old 17.09.2010, 02:00
wazz

That wud great if u add winzip support

Jus like JD unrar
Old 17.09.2010, 12:20
Community Manager & Admin (inaktiv)

Feature will come when it's done.
That's the ticket you have to pay attention for:

Greetz &

REGELN: Bugreports | RULES: Bugreports

Erste Schritte & Tutorials | Self Help Index | Read Me | JD 2 Beta - FAQ

Support Chat