JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Closed Thread

Old 14.02.2011, 15:37
AriGold

Default Facemoods

Hello

I've used Jdownloader for the past year and a half and have had nothing but good experiences with it.

I changed PC's today and so decided to install Jdownloader on it. After downloading and installing Jdownloader I found that the program "facemoods" installed itself. I did not choose to download this!!. I saw a page advertising facemoods during the installation of Jdownloader however I did not willingly select to install the program.

Therefore I must have either been careless during when I was installing Jdownloader and forgot to uncheck the box or rather maliciously it automatically installed itself without my permission.

Anyway it's a right pain. It adds a stupid toolbar in Firefox as well as change the default homepage and search engine in both firefox and IE! It's a hassel having to change everything back to normal. I've just uninstalled it using the control panel setting. Furthermore I'm currently conducting a virus/malware check to check whether this is actually dangerous on top of being annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem and can someone tell me whether this is a virus/trojan/malware and if so how do I remove this? I've had a breif look on the internet and there are people out there saying this is malware/trojan.

I'm really worried as I'm a tech noob and my quarantine skills only extend to uninstalling the program and carrying out a basic virus and malware check on Avast and Malwarebytes respectively.

Last edited by Jiaz; 14.02.2011 at 16:33.
Old 14.02.2011, 16:33
JD Manager

Hi, FaceMoods is no Malware/Trojan. It's a normal bundled Toolbar. We are willing to help to restore your state before installing Facemoods. Just visit the supportchat and we will guide/help you to restore your previous settings in case you do not know how to do this.
On the page advertising facemoods you can continue to install without installing Facemoods. I guess you oversaw this option and installed it by accident.
Old 14.02.2011, 16:54
AriGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Hi, FaceMoods is no Malware/Trojan. It's a normal bundled Toolbar. We are willing to help to restore your state before installing Facemoods. Just visit the supportchat and we will guide/help you to restore your previous settings in case you do not know how to do this.
On the page advertising facemoods you can continue to install without installing Facemoods. I guess you oversaw this option and installed it by accident.
Thank you very much. It's very reassuring to hear that.

I think I've managed to change back everything from my homepage and default search engine (using about:config) - found some helpful tips on the internet from people who have had the misfortune of also installing it.

An initial Avast (free version) scan comes with no issues, the Malwarebytes one going on at the moment should hopefully yield a similar result.

Anyway I've learnt me lesson from this; never rush through an installation process.
Old 15.03.2011, 08:44
ljuba

Default facemoods installation with jdownloader

This is terrible choice to install this facemods with jdownloader.

You have just lost long time user!

I have now uninstalled jdownloader and facemods toolbars but it persisted in all browserers after that.

I needed to manually serch removal instructions for facemods.

What gives you right to change all of my home pages and default search providers to facemods?

Shame on you!

Last edited by Jiaz; 15.03.2011 at 09:45.
Old 15.03.2011, 09:04
remi
Message deleted by raztoki. Reason: referenced advice via link does not exist
Old 15.03.2011, 09:41
JD Manager

Sorry. If you need any help, do not hesitate to ask.
You have the choice to skip the facemoods installation during jdownloader install process.

However: Due to many user complains, we will remove facemoods how it is now with end of march.
Old 15.03.2011, 10:08
remi

I would suggest to test such things in the test (nightly) version of jD.
Old 20.03.2011, 12:10
rjaco31

Same as OP here, i'll try to find another software to replace jDownloader, the trust is just gone..
Old 20.03.2011, 12:13
Community Manager

Bugtracker ticket:

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 28.04.2011, 13:23
jdownloadScam

You idiot, I downloaded jdownloader yesterday and in installed that malware hijacking crap facemoods that i cant get rid of now.

Why don't you POST how to get rid of it?

Why should I waste my time contact you? You said you remove it in March, you didn't.

Fukcing idiot, you just wasted over an hour of my time so far....this is NOT the way to do business
Old 28.04.2011, 14:02
JD Manager

What is left after uninstalling facemoods?
For chrome I published a simple screenshot here: http://jdownloader.org/knowledge/wik...move-facemoods

BTW:
We indeed updated the installer. It is possible to choose exactly what you want to install:

Either install Facemoods complete, or the facebook extensions only, or skip facemoods installation completly

Of course the screen is localized.

Isn't this installer screen VERY clear?
Old 29.04.2011, 10:14
remi

Unhappy

I thought you wrote faecesmood would be removed ... :(
Old 29.04.2011, 11:08
JD Manager

It will be removed completely, and replaced by something better. Until this "something" is ready for release, we decided to keep facemoods.

To avoid "Installs by accident", we re-layouted the installed screen, and implemented the "custom" options.

However, it seems that it is not possible to avoid this at all.
It is perhaps a good idea to publish some Step-by-step instructions to revert the facemoods installation.
Old 29.04.2011, 14:44
Community Manager

Yep, put it on the support.jdownloader page^^

GreeZ psp

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 24.05.2011, 17:38
gorila

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalado View Post
You have the choice to skip the facemoods installation during jdownloader install process.

However: Due to many user complains, we will remove facemoods how it is now with end of march.
No, that isn't true. Essentially you give us no choice because the installation of "Facemods" is by default. If you want to make money in a decent way then try doing somrething decent. Hijacking my entire access to internet isn't the best choice.

Installing Facemod silently on my computer equals to installing a virus. Shame on you.

Furthermore, I have installed JDownloader to use it along with filesonic who uses unfair policy to hijack my bank account with the "recurring" payment which I have never ordered. Certain company SegPay was involved.

SHAME - SHAME - SHAME (Please, take into account that I am an intelligent man and don't try to convince me you have the right to do what you are doing. What you do is an Internet fraud.

I will try to avoid in future the following companies: JDownloader Filesonic and SegPay.

This is an obvious example of dirty business. Guys avoid this.

Last edited by gorila; 24.05.2011 at 17:42.
Old 24.05.2011, 17:57
JD Manager

Correct. we did not remove Facemoods, but we replaced the installer. No it is much more clear. Facemoods is not a virus, and I had no real problems uninstalling it. If you have, please tell us about your problems.

1. Uninstall Facemoods as usual
2. Revert Startpage, and search

We are not connected in any way to filesonic. Besides hundreds of other premiumservices, JDownloader is able to handle filesonic accounts, too.

I don't like hidden recurring payments, too, but there are some services like that out there. Just to name another one: 4shared.com

However: Why don't you blame us for filesonic issues?
Old 24.05.2011, 19:46
gorila

Quote:
Correct. we did not remove Facemoods, but we replaced the installer. No it is much more clear. Facemoods is not a virus, and I had no real problems uninstalling it. If you have, please tell us about your problems.

1. Uninstall Facemoods as usual
2. Revert Startpage, and search

We are not connected in any way to filesonic. Besides hundreds of other premiumservices, JDownloader is able to handle filesonic accounts, too.

I don't like hidden recurring payments, too, but there are some services like that out there. Just to name another one: 4shared.com

However: Why don't you blame us for filesonic issues?
PR BS!!!

Once again: you are not right. You are spreading Facemods which is in fact Legalized Virus. I will make sure never to have it on my computers. Ever.

I am not blaming you for filesonic issues but I am telling you about the issues in your "free" software. I have wasted a great deal of my time to "uninstall" your Facemods from my computer. That isn't an ordinary uninstall where things are gone once and forever, after the install. I had to remove "remains" of facemods manually and I am still in doubt if I have removed everything. Is there anything left deep, hidden in registry?

You are perfectly aware that there are many people who have "installed" facemods and do not have enough skills to remove it because it isn't simple. They are your real "customers" or should I say victims. Facemods have made sure it is extremely hard get rid of their "useful software. Those people are hi-jacked owing to your "free" software. They will never be able to GOOGLE again, they will have just to "Facemod" internet. At lerast untill they scrap a machine infected with JDownloader. Something like JDownloader was "Gator" once upon a time. You have to do many things to get rid of it.

Is that a virus? It is worse then that: a semi-legal piece of junk, hidden from your anti-virus programs as a legal program, residing on many machines and is a serious obstacle to get access to internet. Only a treat of legal actions prevents Anti Virus companies from putting Facemods on virus list.

If you want to make your business model legal just charge your users for using your software and guarantee that your software is free of scum.

For me things are simple: I will go back to good old Rapidshare and will use their Download Manager.
Old 24.05.2011, 20:02
han-solo

Sry, you all act like you paid for jdownloader... like the developers owe YOU..

It's free, it is obviously lots of work, it is far the best downloadmanager ever!
If people donated enough we wouldn't have that problem.

Furthermore, Facemoods is not a virus, it is Adware - which you choosed to install voluntarily. Therefore Antivirus doesn't detect it, ADWare-Remove-Tools do.

What's with the time consumption of the removal? Does it come anywhere close the amount of time jdownloader saved you?

I rather uncheck the install box of Facemoods than have to read eventually: "Sorry, it's become too expensive, jdownloader will no longer be maintained" - or have to pay for that.

Did you install any freeware the last couple of years??
If you did it blind like you did with jdownloader you should have 20 Toolbars installed by now..

Last of all, If you're not able to uncheck the box before installing, or are generally unable to keep your system adware free, maybe you should migrate to Linux or MacOs..
You could also compile Jdownloader yourself, it's open source..

I'm not happy with this facemoods stuff either, but that's no reason to be so damn insulting and demanding...

Geez, i don't wanna live your lives...
Old 24.05.2011, 20:30
Community Manager

Hey people.
MANY other software developers (which develop PAID software) also have toolbars and addons in their installers.
When paying attention while installing software you can deselect those toolbars and if you don't, well honestly you're stupid.
Just take ICQ as an example...most people just click "next" all the time and then they install things they don't want.
If, in real life, you always "press" accept you'll lose your money:rolleyes:
Also JDownloader did not always and will not always have Facemoods in it's installation!

I know you probably won't like my post but if i see any insults here again i'll just close this whole thread!
You told us what you don't like->We are working on it->Accept it or not but don't start spamming here or insulting us!

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 24.05.2011, 20:38
gorila

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-solo View Post

Geez, i don't wanna live your lives...
Okay, I surrender. Live your own life.

I am sure you have fair goals but the software you develop as a community is misused in the worst possible way: JDownloader serves just as a trojan horse to carry Facemods into as many computers worldwide as possible. Some of us know how to deal with that internet scum but vast majority of users will remain without a real access to internet after they install Facemods. Think what you are doing?

Sure, only a cynic may advice me to migrate to OSX or Linux just to avoid an internet scum. Just stop spreading it. That would have been enough.

After my three posts I will leave this place.
Old 25.05.2011, 08:41
remi

@jD management

Would it be possible to provide some insight in the cost categories and income sources of jD? More openness about the financial status of jD might temper the anger of people who installed the Faecesmode thing by accident.
Old 25.05.2011, 09:55
JD Manager

@remi:
No sorry. Anyway, this would not help anybody. Bundleing JDownloader is very important to keep JD free. If every user would pay a few cents, we could remove bundles completely.

@gorila:

I cannot do more than promising, that we will replace facemoods soon. I cannot exactly tell you when.

Quote:
will remain without a real access to internet
:confused: Does facemoods act differently on different systems? I Installed, AND uninstalled facemoods many times, and I never had any internet access restrictions.
Old 25.05.2011, 16:59
Freeloader

Same here coalado, I installed it and had no problems at all > no restrictions and no problems when uninstalling it.

System win xp
Old 26.05.2011, 10:30
JD Manager

BTW, Facemoods released a short video tutorial, to help people to remove facemoods.

http://jdownloader.org/knowledge/wik...move-facemoods
Old 26.05.2011, 15:00
Community Manager

Nice that they made the video but actually it would be easier for users and for them if they just included all this in their uninstaller^^

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 03.07.2011, 22:46
Iknis

Default Complaint

Downloaded Jdownloader a few hours ago, and have to say it's a useful program. However.. I have spent part of my evening uninstalling attached malware known as 'Facemoods' from my several browsers and from my computer. When you package your downloads with such parasitic s**t, you lose all recognition for your product which is as I said, a good one.. what the hell seriously?
Old 04.07.2011, 10:02
remi

Please read "Please, no facemoods".
Old 07.07.2011, 22:55
daves22

Well I've seen some crap in my many years of IT experience but this is the worst ever.

Jdownloader has always been recommended by me to friends family and clients but never again - I'm no noob and to say it is clear you know you are installing is nonsense. I miss very little and never saw this coming until the next day when I rebooted my PC after installing Jdownloader to add to a fresh installation of win 7

This is in my opinion an unferhand method of installing this malicious malware - it is - no doubt about that - after doing everyting the video shows and editing the registry to remove traces (see - I'm no noob) Spybot found more hidden keys,diretories and traces 19 in total

if you value this crap more than your good reputation and program carry on it's clear from this post the removal was promised months ago

if you are short of cash I would donate and so would many others but please avoid this crap.It clearly breached my security..... it's not a virus eh - perhaps not but it's clearly malicious malware i WOULDN'T WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH

Rant over
Old 08.07.2011, 08:28
JD Manager

@daves22:
basically, I agree with you. We are working since a few months together with browser and toolbar experts from ASK on a much better alternative. This means an optional toolbar/browser extension which brings a lot of useful JD features. (If anybody has some good feature requests for browser<->JD integration, please tell us! It's still time for feature requests)

Unfortunately, developing takes time, and developing with a big company like ASK, even takes more time (Quality Checks, Compliance, ...)

In the meantime, we keep Facemoods.

* Installation is Optional (There is an extra Installscreen that explains what facemood is, and what it does. you just have to click "skip")
* There is a detailed "Remove Instruction"

About Keys, directories,... Can you name what exactly? Do these things really matter a lot?

If you can tell me what was left back, I can ask Facemoods why, and maybe convince them to improve this.
Old 08.07.2011, 20:37
daves22

Supplying removal details is fine but I'm not convinced it has gone completely

Quote:
About Keys, directories,... Can you name what exactly? Do these things really matter a lot?

If you can tell me what was left back, I can ask Facemoods why, and maybe convince them to improve this.
I deleted the details but if you install,remove with add/remove progams in Windows then use something like Eusing free registry cleaner to delete any registry entries - reboot then run Spybot s&d you should be able to replicate what I did
Old 11.07.2011, 19:59
dejaime

Well, JDownloader allows you to skip facemoods, but that disabled-but-checked checkbox tricks you into thinking otherwise.

When I tried uninstalling (through Control Panel->Uninstall a Program) there was one file that I couldn't delete (Cannot delete file: Access is denied)...
I had to access my win partition using Ubuntu and remove the file without caring for windows' file access restrictions... Some people on other forum community used Unlocker 1.9 to erase remaining trash files from facemoods.

unftntly I don't remember what was the name of the file...
Old 23.07.2011, 15:28
ettlich

I am also a victim of this. This is basically the first time I've ever missed a toolbar in an installation process. It is maliciously hidden, there is only a tiny warning in light gray letters.

I am very angry about this. I spare you the insults you got from other users but be aware that I feel the same way. I have sensitive data on this computer and it put me in shock when I saw some malware program was installed.

The un-install process is a pain, too. If it was only a toolbar from a reputable company like yahoo, but tricking people into installing this is cheat and fraud, especially after knowing about all the issues with it.
Old 24.07.2011, 02:43
ettlich

this facemoods crap ruined my firefox completely. the good old google/wikipedia etc. address bar search is destroyed for me.

after some work i was able to implement a kind of google search, but when i enter "fraud wiki" it does not redirect me to the wikipedia article named "fraud" like it used to do before you messed up my browser.

you know, there are people who don't have hours of free time to waste on this just so that you can cheat your way into 10 cents by making someone install malware.

this is just cheap and dishonorable :(
Old 26.07.2011, 09:32
remi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettlich View Post
I am also a victim of this. This is basically the first time I've ever missed a toolbar in an installation process. It is maliciously hidden, there is only a tiny warning in light gray letters.
Can you please show this with a screen shot?

I understand you're angry but I use a safe browser and this has never happened to my browser.
Old 19.08.2011, 22:16
gennaman

I will NOT install jdownloader ANIMORE!!!
Facemoods is crap.
Trust is gone.
Bye bye
Old 20.08.2011, 07:35
remi

I usually don't install extensions/add-ons. Why did you install Faecesmood if you don't have to?
Old 08.09.2011, 22:40
lid

Angry You call something installed to your computer without your permission "no MALware"?

Quote:
You call something installed to your computer without your permission "no MALware"? Get real buddy!!
Old 08.09.2011, 22:46
lid

Angry end of march of which year?

Quote:

Crap! I didn't notice until the next day all my browsers were changed by a malware, adware or spyware whatever it is, called facemood. Default search engine, home page and a tool bar. I was wondering what happened and spent about an hour to search and remove everything I could see about this facemood. Next, I will then uninstall Jdownloader and never use it again!
Old 08.09.2011, 23:12
lid

Thumbs down Who knows what's next?

Crap! I didn't notice until the next day all my browsers (all! IE, Firefox, Chrome, they did lots of work to screw up my computer) were changed by a adware or spyware whatever it is, called facemoods. Default search engine, home page and a tool bar. I was wondering what happened and spent about an hour to search and remove everything I could see about this facemood. Next, I will then uninstall Jdownloader and never use it again!

That piece of junk spent me an hour, who knows what comes next with Jdownloader? Maybe a whole Saturday afternoon with some other shitty malware, adware, or what-ever-ware. Shame on you people! Can you imagine?

Will people still trust something like this anymore after they were screwed once?
I hope not!
Old 09.09.2011, 09:41
remi

I also regret that this can happen but it is a way to cover some of jD's expenditures.

I never saw it and I'm using jD for many years. You must have accepted its installation otherwise it wouldn't have been installed. There are instructions for removing it and I don't think it takes more than 5 minutes.

Since you installed jD just for one day you won't miss it. Just use another inferior tool.
Old 09.09.2011, 10:14
remi

I can understand your frustration and why you're triple posting.

Here is my reply : "complaint".
Closed Thread