JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Go Back   JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH > English Support > General Discussion

Old 13.06.2011, 07:15
inxs9000rpm

Question Is There a STICKY for JD Function Descriptions?

I have searched this General Discussion forum for explanations of the ancilliary JD Functions like:

FILE | SAVE | Backup & LinkList Backup;
FILE | JD Restore;
FILE | Restart.

Other than the Basic Tutorial (which doesn't cover these functions), there seems to be no Sticky explaining these Toolbar features. I was looking for them because I just installed (from new) the latest release of JDR but it didn't automatically find the Linklist from the previous version of JDR I had been using.

This forum helped me identify the necessary database.zip file to copy over. Howver, in reading the "solution" threads I found various queries / advices about Backing up, copying folders, copying full JDR Directory, etc. None of those advices explicitly referred to the Toolbar functions. Hence, I am wondering whether there is such a Sticky? Did I miss it somewhere obvious?

Appreciate that someone may comment that this posting should've been entered in the WishList Forum. But I disagree, as this ever JD growing functionality should have a Sticky Guide, if only to explain the purposes of (and differences between) these functions, even if there are no screen examples of Usage.

Cheers
Old 13.06.2011, 08:46
remi

There is no sticky thread, because there is no consolidated documentation about these functions. I'll try to give a description of these functions. I'm not completely sure that they're correct, because they're based on what I read here in these forums and on my own experience with the program. I would have to look at the code to get a complete picture of these functions, but I don't want to make time for that.

1.a) File -> Save -> Backup : automatically creates a backup file in the jD\backup folder of all links in the Download queue together with all the settings.

1.b) File -> Save -> Save Linklist : asks for a file path and name and creates a container file of all the links in the Download queue.

2) File -> JD Restore : stops the downloads, exits and restarts jD with the jdupdate.jar file.

3) File -> Restart : stops the downloads, exits and restarts jD.
Old 13.06.2011, 15:43
Freeloader

We will add this stuff after the major release. There's no sense adding all of this at this point as JD will be going through some major changes in a few months.

Last edited by Freeloader; 14.06.2011 at 13:12.
Old 14.06.2011, 05:54
inxs9000rpm

Default Thanks Remi

I appreciate your explanations Remi - they were helpful.

I trust the pending documentation, that Freeloader mentioned, will contain details of instance when Functions 2) and 3) are indicated as required/appropriate:

2) File -> JD Restore
3) File -> Restart

Incidentally, what is the jdupdate.jar file? Does it contain updates to the JDR software or updates to the Host servers' authorisation codes?

Cheers.
Old 14.06.2011, 08:53
remi

I'm not 100% sure that jD uses the jdupdate.jar when 'Restoring' jD. All I'm sure about is that it updates jD when the jD installation seems to be in a corrupt or non-updated state.

I don't know why launching with jdupdate.jar is recommended more often than the simple execution of the File -> JD Restore function. I think there must be a small difference between the two procedures.
Old 14.06.2011, 08:57
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeloader View Post
We will add this stuff after the major release. There's no sense adding all of this at this point as JD will be going through same major changes in a few months.
I think documentation should be written before coding in order to save time. Coding the wrong design is very costly.