JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 12.04.2013, 17:09
Community Manager

The adware stuff in installers is always marked as recommended ands we all know it isn't.
Most people buy stuff without reading what's inside and without really knowing how to use them, I see no difference here.
There is an easy way to avoid installing any adware, simply turn brain.exe on.
By the way, I removed the "Solved" prefix...

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 12.04.2013, 17:34
ReXTaR

@soisbasura
@rrogntudjû
I know that does not justify...
I mean that illegal activities are active, for the reason that there are consumers of illegal product... (sorry, as I said my native language is Spanish and sometimes the phrase written out of context is desired)...
I agree with you, the solution has been slow for the program, although I must say that the complaints are very similar, there are so many millions on the planet, it seems clones and they all say the same...
Censorship seems that the issue appears as resolved? the issue is not closed and we can all continue to discuss the matter, which remains a new message every time someone posts a new comment...
sincerely, as ordinary user (I'm not part of the team JD), when I read your complaints program, show or appear somewhat aggressive, considering the language difference and perhaps the mood of each country, causing this controversy...
refuse to believe that all possible solutions offered, just seems foolish, wanting to do what you say, it is not possible, is like complaining with Microsoft for making an operating system with many bugs...
I'm sure everything I say or I can say, it will not change the perspective on this issue for some people, but maybe others I do change your perspective... and is that without knowing the root of the problem, as it may be intentional, a mistake or external manipulation, in this virtual environment, we are exposed to anything...
Finally, I believe that you are free to ask developers to remove the malicious software program, but I think anyone should criticize negatively the program, as some changes are good some are bad, I think this forum is made with intended to offer help and get constructive criticism of the program...
Greetings ...
Old 12.04.2013, 19:10
soisbasura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReXTaR View Post
... just seems foolish, wanting to do what you say, it is not possible, is like complaining with Microsoft for making an operating system with many bugs...
And exactly why it is not possible? I don't know how it is not possible to stop spreading malware with the online installer. It is as easy as removing it from the download page. There are already alternatives to install the software in Windows platform which is the one affected by the issue (offline installer, source code) so the task doesn't even need any job done, other than the less than 5min removal of a link on a website.

In no way you can compare what is happening with your given example.

If Microsoft were notified about a bug in their Software and they were refusing to solve it because the bug is giving them profit that would be comparable. And not only a simple an mostly innocuos bug but a security hole bug that puts systems in danger. That would be the correct comparison.

And though I'm not a Microsoft fan, they don't do that.

No one here is complaining about a bug in jDownloader, this is not a bug, this is a known malicious behaviour of the installer that is not wanted to be corrected.

Quote:
in this virtual environment, we are exposed to anything...
That doesn't mean you have to blindly accept it. If you can do something to solve the problem or protect others from being affected, better do it.

Quote:
Finally, I believe that you are free to ask developers to remove the malicious software program, but I think anyone should criticize negatively the program, as some changes are good some are bad
I don't think anyone can critize negatively the program if it stops spreading malware (other than the criminals that get profit from it).
On the contrary anyone should be glad if that were done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspzockerscene View Post
The adware stuff in installers is always marked as recommended ands we all know it isn't.
Most people buy stuff without reading what's inside and without really knowing how to use them, I see no difference here.
There is an easy way to avoid installing any adware, simply turn brain.exe on.
By the way, I removed the "Solved" prefix...

GreeZ pspzockerscene
I don't agree that here we are talking about adware and I know we are not going to agree on that. For me is malware what jDownloader is spreading and not innocent adware.

About the "brain.exe on" I think you are looking the problem from the perspective of a person which is an average computer user, but it happens that not all people is. And I tell you a simple example, I was not affected by this issue, but a person I recommended the software did. That person is a regular computer user but not an expert. And when that person installs software from sources thinks are reliable and if that software offers other software thinks the other offer must be good (and I know this from that person words, "if they are offering this it must be good"). So this is unhonestly playing with people trust (offering malware), and you know it.

In the past it was almost 100% true that if a software were offering other suggestions, those were not malware but other reliable software. And still honest software is doing that. As an example Adobe has recommended Chrome, or McAffee, ..., but they had never recommended a malware, and you know it.

@pspzockerscene thanks for removing the solved prefix.

Last edited by soisbasura; 12.04.2013 at 19:30.
Old 13.04.2013, 01:17
rrogntudjû
Message deleted by raztoki. Reason: cursing not permitted, post removed.
Old 13.04.2013, 02:26
ReXTaR

Talking

interesante el ultimo tema que mencionan, pero no es mas que darle vueltas al asunto, no es mas que el intento por apropiarse del proyecto y ganar dinero... creo que esta discusion no va a ninguna parte... ojala que se arregle algun dia este dilema y que todos los posibles afectados encuentre la paz eterna...
saludos...

No encuentro palabras para decirlo, y aveces siento que el pensamiento, es un idioma de signos sin sentido...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interestingly the last issue mentioned, but it is more than beating around the bush, is nothing more than an attempt to take over the project and make money ... I think this discussion is not going anywhere ... I hope that someday fix this dilemma and that all possible affected find eternal peace ...
Greetings ...

No words to say, and sometimes I feel that thinking is a nonsensical sign language ...
Old 13.04.2013, 02:56
rrogntudjû

@Lord

soisbasura said to you "If you happened to be one of those that have not been affected by the malware. Congrats. But try to respect the each time more and more and more people affected by this issue." Now you say "I think this discussion is not going anywhere" so i have to repeat if you are not concerned respect what users think and let them report their problems, this thread has its own utility even if you can't understand it.
Old 14.04.2013, 09:05
alouette

just to tell you my story:

I'm using jdownloader for years on Linux. It works very well, is open-source etc.

I adviced some friends and relatives to get and install jdownloader. For a relative we installed jd together, and we unchecked all the crapware installs during the installation so we expected it would be safe (I guess it's the "use your brain" part of the installation).

Unfortunately, all of those crapware were installed nevertheless, and it was a real pain to remove everything.

People were no longer interessed in using jdownloader after that, because they weren't trusting jdownloader any longer.

Today I installed again jdownloader on a linux computer (using deb package / ppa), and I checked several time to be sure it wouldn't load any problematic piece of software.
Old 18.04.2013, 00:36
poropopocho

Default HELP trouble with Adware (Hoolapp / FindLyrics)

Hi everyone.
I am having a really bad time since I installed JD today.
I just installed it today but now I'm stucked with some Adware that i can't get rid-off. After failling to directly unistall these Adwares (Hoolapp) y thought
that erasing JD would solve the problems altogether.
I came across this post and Followed this steps and succesfully unistalled JD.(see http://board.jdownloader.org/showthr...891#post206891)

BUT the mail problem remains.

I got the installer from JD's official site (http://jdownloader.org/download/index) for Windows- (I use Win 7)
During the installation of JD, the installer mentioned HOOLAPP but didn´t gave any options to uncheck. I trust JD so I continued... and bam!. That was it: Instantly got this program nailed to my taskbar and annoying Pop-ups and Banners started showing up in my Browser (Google Chrome) even at Google's homepage. I am going crazy over here, because I've been trying to unistall this HOOLAPP from control panel's, add/remove programs... and at first it sayd it was succesfully unistalled, but still remains as nothing happened. But now, it doesn't show up in the add/remove list. And there's this other "FindLyrics" that appears on the list, but doesn't show up anywhere else in program files or Windows. Please excuse me for this long messaje but Please, help me solve this. I am really frustrated and honestly quite dissapointed...I had used JD in the past and never experienced something like this. I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks.
JJ
Old 18.04.2013, 02:07
ReXTaR

you should have posted on this topic ...
http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=44832
besides that'd already published in Spanish ...
http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=47673
and so far, has not come to any point in the discussion ... saludos..
Old 26.04.2013, 01:56
MRMIdAS

Can't believe this isn't sorted.

Really, drop your installer company, it's hurting your project, and will affect you in the long run.
Old 28.04.2013, 11:15
kurisudesu

Hi, first of all, this is my first post and I'm not a native english speaker, so forgive me for any grammar mistakes I will most likely make.
I was a long time jdownloader user and I loved it. I do remember I had adwares & malwares installed in my windows 7, but can't remember if jdownloader had any contribution on those because I also installed many other freeware softwares.
I despise any add-on softwares that's being installed without user consent. But I guess that's the risk of installing so-called freewares.

But as of last month I upgraded to Windows 8, and I decided to choose my softwares more carefully, as removing adware/mallware can be a real pain in the butt and usually ended in reinstalling my OS.
And that was where I came across this forum. I was looking for information wheter jdownloader is safe or not, and I have to say after reading many pages of this forum, I decide NOT to install jdownloader.
I just assume if there are many users complaining about a same thing, then you just can't ignore it. It's that simple. I'd rather skip it than relying on my luck and ended up bi***ing about the software.
I'm not an expert in software business. I also understand that developers need money, and that adware is probably one way to achieve it. But as a common user, truthfully, I'm WILLING to pay a reasonable amount for a clean software, rather than installing a "free" version that includes adwares. But in the end, free or not, in my opinion, a legitimate software should never contain any adware/malware. It's just plain wrong.

I also didn't see any statements from the developers about this (or maybe I missed it?), and if someone could record a video about before-after installing jdownloader (how the software installed add-ons without user consent), and post it on youtube, I think it could be great input for anyone reading this posts, including the developers.

Another thing, probably off-topic. As adware is a common issue on many Windows applications, I'm seriously thinking on moving to Mac. Is JD for Mac also install adwares?
Old 29.04.2013, 17:42
ReXTaR

has anyone noticed that when you install the java, installation program offers the installation of a toolbar? .... greetings ...
Old 30.04.2013, 02:28
soisbasura

Quote:
has anyone noticed that when you install the java, installation program offers the installation of a toolbar? .... greetings ...
I doubt that Oracle has different installer for different countries so I would have to say that you are totally wrong or you are downloading Java from a not reliable source.

The Java Runtime Environment package is not offering anything on its installer, nor in the webinstaller nor in the offline installer (the web installer is just a small package, less than 1mb that downloads the offline installer at the beginning of the installation process).

Anyway there are so many other java packages (the development ones, JSE, JEE, JME...) that is imposible to know what you are talking about. Anyway I'm sure that even in case Oracle were offering a software on any installer that is going to be a reliable software.

So I don't know what you pretend with your message. I have myself mentioned examples of software offering other software on the installer and that's not a problem at all. I repeat the example, Adobe Reader offers a McAffee toolbar and in the past has been offering Google Chrome (both reliable software). And they give the chance, to not install it, by providing a checkbox you can disable.

But the JDownloader installer is offering malware and it doesn´t provide a clear choice to disable the installation of the malware.

Two persons can offer you a free drink, and they have that in common.

But then it happens that one person had offered you a refreshing and healthy drink while the other person had offered you a disgusting poisoned drink.

If someone doesn't want to see the difference, just fine, go on with your blindness, but do not try to blind others.
Old 30.04.2013, 10:50
rrogntudjû

Maybe he wanted to say "tango" not "java".

My sweet lord
Hm, my lord
Hm, my lord

I really want to see you
Really want to be with you
Really want to see you, lord
But it takes so long, my lord

My sweet lord
Hm, my lord
Hm, my lord

I really want to know you
Really want to go with you
Really want to show you lord
That it won't take long, my lord (hallelujah)

Last edited by rrogntudjû; 30.04.2013 at 11:04.
Old 31.05.2013, 09:26
Falco1965

Default Portaldosites

FCK
I've installed jdownloader and my system is now fulled with this malware.
With win8 it's near impossible to remove!
I've used several antyspyware programs, I've done the unistal procedure in the portaldosites homepage, but it's still there!
Why this insane idea to add this fcked software to the jdownloader installation?
Old 31.05.2013, 16:24
Community Manager

Merged jd adware threads.
@Falco
Try AdwCleaner!

GreeZ psp

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 03.06.2013, 04:40
rrogntudjû

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspzockerscene View Post
Merged jd adware threads.
@Falco
Try AdwCleaner!

GreeZ psp
Just a question like that, don't take offense, is AdwCleaner also works for that?

Old 04.06.2013, 18:34
Community Manager

I got no answer to that
I suppose less traffic rank means that our users are more confident and need less support

GreeZ psp

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 04.06.2013, 19:06
rrogntudjû

Or maybe "I suppose less traffic rank means that our nonusers are more confident and need less support"

adware=users
malware=nonusers

No you don't think? download pages are includes in this test, and since january the curve is dramatically down... and your banker what he think about that, he has a better curve him we can compare? This thread about "The Bug" was started the 24.12.2012, a coindicence you think you really? Maybe they wait after "SOLVED"...

Last edited by rrogntudjû; 04.06.2013 at 21:04.
Old 15.06.2013, 00:19
breezytrees

Default "Safe Saver" browser malware addon.

I believe your web installer for jdownloader also installs a malware browser extension called "Safe Saver," or an addon that parades itself as "Safe Saver.

Safe Saver is a browser addon that finds coupons. It has yet to find me coupons, but it does replace ads with different ads on every site that I visit.

**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

I have yet to be able to be able to fully uninstall safe saver. Everytime I uninstall it, it reappears in my browser extensions upon restart.

edit: I have found out how to delete it. Use add/remove programs in your control panel. Simply uninstalling it from each of your browsers does nothing.

Last edited by breezytrees; 15.06.2013 at 00:42. Reason: uninstall instructions.
Old 22.06.2013, 00:49
arthra

Thanks for Jdownloader. The application itself is awesome but unfortunately what is packed with it is quite repelling.

This is what I got when I installed what I downloaded on 22nd Jun 2013.

P.S. Is it no longer possible to have the offline installer?
Old 22.06.2013, 01:11
ReXTaR

yes... offline installer.... is supposed here ... http://jdownloader.org/download/offline
but links to download looks the same thing....
maybe its recent change...
http://installer.jdownloader.org/WebInstallerJD2.exe

but... in.... http://jdownloader.org/download/index
http://installer.jdownloader.org/WebInstaller.exe

is similar ... but not the same ...

by the way ... using mcafee ... O_o? I thought I had already gone, maybe you should find one more effective ...
Old 23.06.2013, 17:33
arthra

Well McAfee used to be good but I think since Intel took control of it, it became crap. I'm sticking to it though as I have a long subscription with them. But any say about the trojans? Or is it a false positive?
Old 24.06.2013, 17:15
ReXTaR

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthra View Post
Well McAfee used to be good but I think since Intel took control of it, it became crap. I'm sticking to it though as I have a long subscription with them. But any say about the trojans? Or is it a false positive?
well ... because that depends ... if you are subscribed to McAfee, I suggest you send them to support file and have it tested ...

if you've read every response to this thread you will see that is very long and that at some point I will make with the kaspersky, to which they answered that it was a false positive ... that for toolbar.exe file, yet there are still complaints about different files or toolbars ...

I think the problem lies in offering online installer page should be some existing deal to offer in that way, so if it THROUGH a third party, that third party is the one that adds advertising or tools that can be considered malware ...

I personally have always used the offline installer ... so far I have not had problems with malware, adware, spyware or any similar problem ... on the other hand I have seen google chrome users have many problems with the "spontaneous publicity" ...

I use opera and extension called Ghostery and is wonderful ... i do not problemos...
Old 01.07.2013, 02:01
michaelf

Default spyware & scam

I just registered as I am really pissed;

download & install jdowloader and I get News crap, lyrics crap and other stuff installed which tries to download cookies and my bookmarks and also collects all my clicks.

Oh and all this crap wont de-install and cannot be removed without going through the registry.

Conclusion; Jdownoader is a scam. I used it many years but it won't come near my pc's now
Old 01.07.2013, 10:43
JD Manager

Here is a totally clean link to JDownloader 2: http://installer.jdownloader.org/ic/...tSetup_x86.exe

BTW: Would you prefer to pay for a JDownloader without ads?
Old 01.07.2013, 12:17
michaelf

Angry

too late, if have any understanding of customer behavior you'll realise that you screw once they never come back.

and I'm still trying to get all this crap off my laptop, Qvo6.com crap now.

For all I care you guys should go out of business, if you can call this business. you guys located in Nigeria I guess?
Old 01.07.2013, 12:27
JD Manager

Nope, germany. And InstallCore in Israel.

And qvo6.com: No Idea. I told InstallCore to remove it from our installer.
They gave me this link: Maybe it helps: **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**
Old 01.07.2013, 19:19
rrogntudjû

Each time i click on the button to update JD2 now see what i have in my face:

Old 01.07.2013, 19:27
JD Manager

Great thing. You Antivirus tool warns you that JDownloader tries to delete a toolbar during Installation. You should allow it. JDownloader tries to remove toolbar.exe (The JDownloader Toolbar)

1. Renames the file to filename.removed
  2. Runs through all other Updatejobs
  3. if all succeed, jdownloader cleans up, and deletes the *.removed files (and other backup files)
  4. if the update fails, jdownloader uses the *.removed (and other backup files) to revert all changes and restore the old state

We removed The JDownloader Toolbar from the JD2 Beta. We stopped to offer it weeks ago - now we do not need the toolbar.exe any more.

Last edited by Think3r; 02.02.2014 at 20:45. Reason: typo
Old 01.07.2013, 19:38
rrogntudjû

Ah good news, and what you need instead of the toolbar.exe now?
Old 01.07.2013, 21:00
Ehrenmitglied

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrogntudjû View Post
Ah good news, and what you need instead of the toolbar.exe now?
toolbar2.exe ...:w00t:
Old 01.07.2013, 21:30
Banned

No toolbar does not install in the system. Is only save in the root folder JD2.
Antivirus for a different display name for the message of a possible risk.
After all, you can delete this file, Shift + Del and what so much shouting?
Very good program to download, it supports so many sites that "drill a hole in the skulls" and not like that You viruses destroy system ^^

Last edited by djmakinera; 01.07.2013 at 21:41.
Old 01.07.2013, 21:34
rrogntudjû2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisbaer View Post
toolbar2.exe ...:w00t:
Excellent
Old 01.07.2013, 22:30
rrogntudjû

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalado View Post
Here is a totally clean link to JDownloader 2: hxxp://installer.jdownloader.org/ic/JD2SilentSetup_x86.exe
From wikipedia: Silent installation

Installation that does not display messages or windows during its progress. "Silent installation" is not the same as "unattended installation" (see below): All silent installations are unattended but not all unattended installations are silent. The reason behind a silent installation may be convenience or subterfuge. Malware is almost always installed silently.

Not sure it help your link for the trust...

Last edited by rrogntudjû; 02.07.2013 at 01:12.
Old 02.07.2013, 01:51
michaelf

still having problems removing Qvo6, it it a rootkit of some sorts?
Old 02.07.2013, 02:36
rrogntudjû

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
still having problems removing Qvo6, it it a rootkit of some sorts?
Qvo6 is not a just a "spyware & scam", it can be considered as "virus", a poisoning if you prefer. It change your results on google pages to force you as i already said to download rogues like SpyHunter or Spyware Doctor etc... to force you to pay to remove imaginary things or unblock pages you can't have access after the infection... on pages you are redirected you can also download trojans or keyloggers without your knowledge etc.. The typical criminal crap. You must use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and AdwCleaner and verify carefully all things about redirection, the path in the properties of the icons shortcuts of all your browsers, and the network settings everywhere... browsers network properties, TCP/IP properties > auto, proxy, HOSTS file, DNS etc!

To avoid a large part of these inconvenience (due to silent installs most of the time) you can use only portables versions of your browsers with a non identifiable folder path (change the cache settings to have better performance)

hxxp://www.malwarebytes.org/
hxxp://general-changelog-team.fr/en/tools/15-adwcleaner

hxxp://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

Last edited by rrogntudjû; 02.07.2013 at 07:28. Reason: advice & links
Old 02.07.2013, 08:48
N3X15

I've used JDownloader for many years, and being a software developer myself, I've been amazed with how well the software works, despite all the plugins and websites that need to be maintained on a daily basis. Five of my computers have had JDownloader on their hard drives. I've even been considering helping out or donating (although my job has put a damper on that until next quarter).

However, this latest news is very worrisome, particularly to someone with expansive network security and computer forensics training and experience. If the installer is installing malware without permission, than simply handwaving it away with "Bah, just run this remover tool and you'll be fine" won't cut it - That remover tool will only remove the malware it recognizes, and new malware usually isn't added to antiviruses until a week later. This is the primary reason that even Microsoft recommends reformatting after a virus infection. People who - god forbid - use this in an enterprise environment will also have the computers on their network to worry about. Did the malware spread to them? Is it sitting on a fileserver somewhere, waiting for someone to open it? The fact that the malware reportedly being installed changes from person to person is also concerning: It indicates that the installer can download very new strains at the whim of the company who made it.

I know your company is hard-pressed for funding. I know that feeling and the desperation it brings. However, working with a company that actively spreads malware in their products is NOT the way to go, no matter the benefits. As has happened already, you will alienate your customers and scare future customers away, in addition to tainting the reputation of your company. I highly recommend cutting off all contact with this company and removing the installer from your website until a clean one can be produced. If you need a suggestion, I highly recommend NSIS - It's flexible, relatively simple to use, and free. There's also InstallShield, but that's fairly expensive and doesn't give you as much bang for your buck.

Please, do the right thing. If you need to offer premium features or embedded banner ads to cover your costs, I doubt anyone will curse your names for it, as long as the method you use isn't intrusive. Malware (and yes, adware does fit into the malware category) is NOT the way to go. Even if other companies are doing the same thing, it doesn't make it right. Every FOSS project that Oracle has acquired has been forked because of their reputation for adding malware into Java installers and other shady business practices.

If you're having trouble coming up with profitable ideas for premium features, ask your community - It's what we're here for. If all else fails, you can always open-source JD. I, for one, would be happy to help out on my spare time. Whatever you do, do the right thing and ditch the malware: It's not profitable, it's not good PR, and it's not good ethics. It doesn't matter if the installer only installs the malware if you give it permission: If I stopped you on the street and asked if I could inject you with AIDS, would you agree? If I then asked you if you wanted to buy my car, would you even consider my offer? The same logic follows with these loaded installers. The only way Oracle gets away with it is because Java is a requirement of the web, much like Flash. Think of what would happen if the general public became aware of all of the Java forks out there: How many people would move away from the Oracle JRE just because of the shit it tries to give you?

Until this is resolved, I am uninstalling JD and will recommend my users, friends, and family do the same. I hate to do so, but I have no choice: I can't risk the proprietary information on my computer being compromised by the crap you may end up installing.
Old 02.07.2013, 15:35
ReXTaR

JD2 its great....
Old 03.07.2013, 09:51
davidrenaud

Yes, i confirm malware when install with Webinstaller.exe for windows.

Last edited by davidrenaud; 03.07.2013 at 09:54. Reason: shortcut on desktop, change start link in browser, command line at startup, ...
Old 13.07.2013, 14:04
consumerx

Default Adware concerns for Mac OS X?

Hi,
Are these adware concerns applicable to the Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion installation?
installer.jdownloader.org/JD2SilentSetup.dmg
I ask because it is an installer and not the normal drag-&-drop installation common for Mac applications. It asks to install Flashgot, but I don't know if anything will happen in the background.
Thanks!