JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH
 

View Poll Results: What version of operating system do you use
OS-X 10.6 or later 72 77.42%
OS-X 10.5 15 16.13%
OS-X 10.4 or earlier 6 6.45%
Something else 6 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 15.08.2011, 03:03
GhostLyrics
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statter View Post
@ GhostLyrics, if you have things that can help them in the java world to get the Mac OS and JD to work more like we would like it to for the Mac ... Please let them know or supply some code for them to test please.

JD is good but it does not really fit the Mac GUI as is. :(

Maybe you could code some things for them and pass it on also
If I was able to code Java I would already have contributed, believe me.

Nevertheless I've summed up what I could find in one session of looking very hard and thinking at a list on my blog **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

Feel free to contact me via PM or this thread. English and German are okay.

Edit: now this is interesting. I can't see my own link. o.O
Edit2: check the homepage link in my public profile. The link there should be okay with the board's terms of usage.

Last edited by GhostLyrics; 15.08.2011 at 03:14. Reason: external link...
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 15.08.2011, 10:41
Statter Statter is offline
JD VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 455
Default

The JD form porously has external links blocked to non supporters if you want to add a link that is seen put such as " or but space between h ttp etc.

Nice list btw but some will not be able to be done easily without bloating the Java app ... some things may be able to be done with some checking and linking or jumps within a java settings file .. overall though maybe ask the Admins mods here to grab it and put it into a forum topic or maybe a dev area file for referencing. Of course you could also make a post in wishes probably too.

It wold be great to see some of those implemented but, in reality if they happen it will take a really good java coder to make the diffences show between the different OS'es unless the team decided to make a major look and feel change ...
__________________
OS X !0.6.8 Mac Pro Intel (Workhorse)
OS X 10.10.5 MBP Intel (Secondary)
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 15.08.2011, 13:24
GhostLyrics
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statter View Post
Nice list btw but some will not be able to be done easily without bloating the Java app ... some things may be able to be done with some checking and linking or jumps within a java settings file ..
Why do you think so? I admit, I'm not a coder, but many, many things I've suggested are actually reduction not addition.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 15.08.2011, 21:22
Statter Statter is offline
JD VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 455
Default

by bloating I mean extra code, it may not be a lot but it may also be more too. The reason I say this is that those in the windows world may not want or like the OS X style and changes although they make more sense to those who use OS X and have used Windows also. thus extra code to try to please the separate OS'es and mentality. Im' not a coder anymore either I have not coded since the days of pre 16 bit and I also coded in assembly so I'm way out of date on such.

The "Addon: Improved MacOSX Dock"

This is probably feasible as it is essentially an addon extra code of course.

The "Addon: Growl Notification"
is ok but should of course it should be able to be turned off (not everyone likes Growl and it can sometimes cause more problems) and a couple of options added also in what one wishes to be notified on as you were implying an option for individual download and for all, etc.

The "User Interface: Menubar"
There are some things that will cause complaints probably again from the windows users of their naming convention is changed. Settings versus Preferences is a semantic thing and both are for the same purpose. I disagree with loosing icons, often they use up less space than text and it is not contrary to OS X standards. OS X usually gives the option to show icons only, show text and icons or text only. That option would be accepatable versus removing them completely. It has been that way pre OS X also. Personally I like having the icons as it uses less screen real-estate.
As for File versus Links reading such as DLC, it is a bit confusing but DLC is a set of links although they could possibly rename the "add container" to "open DLC" or similar.

The "User Interface: Keyboard"
The “CMD” / Apple Key is essentially Mac only terminology and such as the Windows key is for the PC now. There just mainly needs to be a keyboard mapping switch that allows for one to switch between Windows keyboard mapping and Apple keyboard mapping. The mappings are not that different but for a few keys and functions. The Apple CMD is equivalent to the Windows Control Key, the Apple "option key" is equivalent to the Windows "alt" and so on. One example of course can be found at h ttp://support.apple.com/kb/ht1167 or h ttp://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/apple-keyboard.html then of course there are still a lot of older keyboards in use still today also on both sides of the camp. Keyboard mapping is a better option.

The "User Interface: Tabs"
The look of the tabs is more of a design than look than anything and removing the X for lose on those tabs is dumb (sorry) The statement of "to remove the close buttons on those tabs to make them look native" is inaccurate. Look at how such apps as safari handles Tabbed windows. Although having an option to turn it off or on would be acceptable removing them altogether is not IMHO. If the interface pulled up separate full windows showing several items at once similar to Settings/Preferences then yes those tabs do not need the close as one would close the hole separate window when done. If they wish to recode JD to do that of course takes more coding and possibly a slightly bigger footprint and CPU/memory resources etc. Remember we are working with Java not native code for Apple nor Windows.

Again "The tabs also have icons on them which are not appropriate in OS X" is inaccurate also. In the application they are fine and just need an option to switch to a users preference. When one opens a tab in JD often they would like to close it after their done. If these were again tabs within a separate window that pooped up such as in the Safari Preferences windo then of course they the X's would not be needed within that visible Tab set.

Granted the look and feel is not there within OS X as many of us would like to see but, remember most of the coders for JD were windows orientated not Mac. If they would have been then this discussion would be turned around probably also.
I'm sure that the JD team would like to implement everything they could for the interface for all camps but as with any thing that gets coded it takes time to ensure that one fix or change doe s not break something else that is critical in the apps operation.
Too many coders now days tend to add bloat rather than minimizing it for efficiency and when something breaks they often make a band aid fix for this or that and eventually the whole app is bloated beyond repair and they will often end up having to recode an App from scratch for a few new changes as things are so screwed up from the band aids. new change.

The Devs may have different thoughts but overall this should probably be in a separate topic for such discussions. Hopefully they get a good Mac familiar Java programer if they do not already have one on board.

Hope that explains it as I see it anyway.
__________________
OS X !0.6.8 Mac Pro Intel (Workhorse)
OS X 10.10.5 MBP Intel (Secondary)
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 16.08.2011, 12:42
remi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There has been a Mac developer for jD, but I'm not sure s(he) is still around. Jiaz has a Mac now and that makes a difference because he can now test some features on the Mac as well.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 16.08.2011, 18:20
fma16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

@GhostLyrics
Some of yours recommendations are good It don't really matter for me, since I can download thing easily but why not?

Also, Maybe an -only MacOS- version can be released for the 1.0 version, but I don't know if it's feasible...
About the icons and the close button in the Tabs, I doesn't agree with you. I want to open my log, check few things, and close it, as I do for the Scheduler. Icons make the whole thing easier to read
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 24.10.2011, 21:18
atomray
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default how to delete a file from downloading list

I use a mac mini,osx version 10.7.2
I can't delete any file from downloading list by pressing delete key,and there isn't any delete option in menu.
How can I delete a file from download list?:confused:
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 25.10.2011, 05:27
spnyc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomray View Post
I use a mac mini,osx version 10.7.2
I can't delete any file from downloading list by pressing delete key,and there isn't any delete option in menu.
How can I delete a file from download list?:confused:
Try function+delete. That's what works for me on my laptop...
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 15.11.2011, 01:21
wishZor
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm not entirely certain if I can post this here. Anyway, as of yesterday I cannot download using jdownloader on my mac anymore. Although this may not be entirely true. I just went from the download to the settings tab and it took more or less 20 minutes.

I'm trying to go back to the settings button to enable the loggin, although as far as I know the logging is currently enabled and yet I see no log-tab.

It seems that jdownloader went incredibly slow, I already tried reinstalling it and that did not help much.

Hoping anyone can offer me any options.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 15.11.2011, 10:04
remi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It's possible you're suffering from the last java update 29.

Please, provide an Emergency Log.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 15.11.2011, 23:59
wishZor
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm using mac osx lion version 10.7.2 - I don't think the log files will make you much wiser ... I cannot make jdwonloader do much more.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (448 Bytes, 285 views)
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 16.11.2011, 09:12
remi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool

I see "Unable to access jarfile jdownloader.jar".

Your java doesn't find the file JDownloader.jar. I don't know the command nor method you're using to start jD, but you need to execute the command ""java -Xmx1024m -jar JDownloader.jar"" in the directory that contains the JDownloader.jar file or use the path to that file.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 09.12.2011, 08:23
Statter Statter is offline
JD VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 455
Default

wishZor, considering the archived log files you sent are empty except one then yes they are of no use.

Second It could be that your config files got corrupted some how such as a friend of mines did recently.
This would not update nor delete anything either etc.

Be sure you have Jdownlaoder closed for the following process:
I had to go into their app and do a right click on it to show contents.
Then under Contents/Resources/Java/ directory is the config folder.
Inside that folder there should be four files.
database.log
database.properties
database.script
version.cfg

It is safe to delete all four of these files (do not delete the folder itself though. Trash the above four files and be sure to empty the trash. Then restart Jdownloader.

When you restart it it may take a bit of time to connect but it should connect to the update servers and start updating what it needs to.
If for some reason the update does not start then you may need to try closing and restarting another time and as soon as it is restarted select the check for updates globe at the top right set of icons. You probably will see that updates are already in progress ... you may have to have some patience for the process to finish but it should within 5 minutes maximum.

If for some reason the above does not work at all then you have to go into terminal and drill down into the app itself to execute the command ""java -Xmx1024m -jar JDownloader.jar"" which is also in the root of the Contents/Resources/Java/ directory.

I refuse atm to run Lion as it is still unstable for production and as such I [S]have no idea about which version of Java update you may be using but be very careful as Apple quit supporting Java as they had done for so many years with this update of Lion also. In Lion, Java is no longer preinstalled, but rather is available for download as an optional package after install or before opening an application that requires the Java runtime. I know many though that have updated and they have no real problem with Jdownloader to my knowledge other than the occasional hoster burp or bad connectivity from their ISP to the hoster's ISP etc.

If needed you may wish to try to run a restore of course and or the permission repairs and also check the disk for errors.

One may also wish to review and report problems with Java and Lion here "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**
One may also have a corrupted Java install and as such may need to reinstall the update again such as spoken of here "**External links are only visible to Support Staff** etc.

Apple has also released the latest 10.7.3 update to developers on December 2, so maybe if there is an issue it will get fixed there.

Spoiler:
I do not consider any of this below should be installed in Lion as they were not designed for Lion and may crash or corrupt your system.
Previous downloads of Java for Mac are **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff** for Java SE 6 to version 1.6.0_24
for Java SE 6 to version 1.6.0_26 is not currently found except info here **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

All Apple Security type updates may be found here also **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**


spnyc and others ... first there is not a function delete on the Mac. considering this is Java and the interface for the Mac Java is not near where it needs to be although there I think is at least one Mac programer on the team, one needs to use the ctrl key and mouse click or a right click if they have a mouse attached for the drop down menus to pop up. One has to select either the folder/package or file within a folder/package and do the right click to see which item in the dropdown list they wish to use.
as bellow
__________________
OS X !0.6.8 Mac Pro Intel (Workhorse)
OS X 10.10.5 MBP Intel (Secondary)

Last edited by Statter; 10.12.2011 at 00:06. Reason: Added info and spoiler
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 20.12.2011, 14:03
arthisoftseo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi, I am interested to know more about OS x. I am new here.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 29.12.2011, 09:55
Statter Statter is offline
JD VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 455
Default

arthisoftseo, Not sure why your asking such a question at JD as they do not supply info as such and only deal with the Mac as it pertains to their product.

If you want to learn about the Mac you might wish to look at places such as "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**
Or better yet from the source itself "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**
__________________
OS X !0.6.8 Mac Pro Intel (Workhorse)
OS X 10.10.5 MBP Intel (Secondary)
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 31.05.2013, 15:56
warm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statter View Post
wishZor, considering the archived log files you sent are empty except one then yes they are of no use.

Second It could be that your config files got corrupted some how such as a friend of mines did recently.
This would not update nor delete anything either etc.

Be sure you have Jdownlaoder closed for the following process:
I had to go into their app and do a right click on it to show contents.
Then under Contents/Resources/Java/ directory is the config folder.
Inside that folder there should be four files.
database.log
database.properties
database.script
version.cfg

It is safe to delete all four of these files (do not delete the folder itself though. Trash the above four files and be sure to empty the trash. Then restart Jdownloader.

When you restart it it may take a bit of time to connect but it should connect to the update servers and start updating what it needs to.
If for some reason the update does not start then you may need to try closing and restarting another time and as soon as it is restarted select the check for updates globe at the top right set of icons. You probably will see that updates are already in progress ... you may have to have some patience for the process to finish but it should within 5 minutes maximum.

If for some reason the above does not work at all then you have to go into terminal and drill down into the app itself to execute the command ""java -Xmx1024m -jar JDownloader.jar"" which is also in the root of the Contents/Resources/Java/ directory.

I refuse atm to run Lion as it is still unstable for production and as such I [S]have no idea about which version of Java update you may be using but be very careful as Apple quit supporting Java as they had done for so many years with this update of Lion also. In Lion, Java is no longer preinstalled, but rather is available for download as an optional package after install or before opening an application that requires the Java runtime. I know many though that have updated and they have no real problem with Jdownloader to my knowledge other than the occasional hoster burp or bad connectivity from their ISP to the hoster's ISP etc.

If needed you may wish to try to run a restore of course and or the permission repairs and also check the disk for errors.

One may also wish to review and report problems with Java and Lion here "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**
One may also have a corrupted Java install and as such may need to reinstall the update again such as spoken of here "**External links are only visible to Support Staff** etc.

Apple has also released the latest 10.7.3 update to developers on December 2, so maybe if there is an issue it will get fixed there.

Spoiler:
I do not consider any of this below should be installed in Lion as they were not designed for Lion and may crash or corrupt your system.
Previous downloads of Java for Mac are **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff** for Java SE 6 to version 1.6.0_24
for Java SE 6 to version 1.6.0_26 is not currently found except info here **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

All Apple Security type updates may be found here also **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**


spnyc and others ... first there is not a function delete on the Mac. considering this is Java and the interface for the Mac Java is not near where it needs to be although there I think is at least one Mac programer on the team, one needs to use the ctrl key and mouse click or a right click if they have a mouse attached for the drop down menus to pop up. One has to select either the folder/package or file within a folder/package and do the right click to see which item in the dropdown list they wish to use.
as bellow
An easy question. I would like to delete the queue list on my MAC. 10.6.8 and no right click button on the mouse
Ta


Yes in embarrassed red. Function/delete does work. Thank you

Last edited by warm; 31.05.2013 at 15:59. Reason: found the answer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:49.
Provided By AppWork GmbH | Privacy | Imprint
Parts of the Design are used from Kirsch designed by Andrew & Austin
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.