JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH
 

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 30.05.2009, 01:23
brfritos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Like sagei perfect explained - english is not my primary language, so excuse some errors or lack of phrase comprehension - some functions became very complicated.
Is not because the new look 'n' feel, but the absence of consistency in them.

For exemple, in the old version when I disable the clipboard monitoring, it remains disable.
In this new version I have to uncheck the function in the button interface AND in the program configuration. Other thing is the choice to name it a file download "high priority" or "low priority", this terms are mainly used in OS functions or software codes, in the real world they are not a smart choice.
And it appears a try to reinvent the wheel, since all other programs just do a "move to the top/bottom" or "move one line above/bellow".

Patterns are good some times.

Link Grabber remains a puzzle for me.
The old link collector had every choice in an simply window, but this time you have to paste the files, click continue, add the package (with a forced name, like "out" or "various") and then change the package name in the download window.
For a change that the developers call it "we're simplifying things", seems just the opposite to me.
Even if I'm missing something, where in the hell clicking with the right mouse button to change anything is "intuitive"?

One of the things that maked "the old" JDownloader terrific great is that it get the job done and is easy to use!
This new version is very beautiful, but it seems more complicated to learn in the long term.
I don't meant to offend the developers, but the new version reminds me...Cryptload!

Yes, I don't like this program, since it suffers from some problems, like lack of easy of use and bugs.
Interface usability is not a simply "put the buttons or not" guys, Apple teach us that with the iPhone.
In this new version when you try to do something the program simply do the opposite of it!
You even make me feel nostalgia for USDownloader!

I think the program is not finished and need some changes, but the future seems bright and it shows a great potencial.

[ ]'s
  #62  
Old 30.05.2009, 04:10
woongah
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default In cold head

I finally managed to make the new JD run... I discovered that, on my computer, the "Install load'n click" dialog wasn't big enough to show its "Ok-Cancel" buttons; and it's not resizable, so i had to get a glimpse of an illumination by the almighty, select some text in the dialog and then "go" on the button (which? I don't know, because I can't see it) by pressing "tab".
I suppose you guys either have big screens, either you don't suffer from miopy as I do and keeps your screens at a higher resolution than mine...

In all, it's not so bad as I initially thought, even if the left side option panel, which permanently wastes a quarter of my screen to tell me the boiling temperature of the water - while I can't read the complete name of the files I'm downloading for lack of horizontal space - stills looks as a dumb design to me... oh, and I really hate the colours palette.

The new link grabber works quite well, but for this mania it has of putting each link in a separate package -even if you grabbed a whole page of links in just one step;
So I have to merge all the packages, seelect the download directory and finally add the links...
Now, the fact that my paleozoic computer needs between three and five seconds to open a menu on a right button click, and that all these actions need at least a right button click... explains why, somtimes, I feel so nostalgic of the old interface.

I hope that the situation will evolve fast, and that the future JD will not be so dependent on the right-button as it seems now.

Last edited by woongah; 30.05.2009 at 04:21. Reason: I post an incomplete version out of a mistake on my part
  #63  
Old 30.05.2009, 04:13
lRs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I really like the new JDownloader. Thanks to the staff !
  #64  
Old 30.05.2009, 04:47
Emm Emm is offline
DSL User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 39
Default

The auto update feature shouldn't have been enabled so early... the whole app is still buggy for updating it this way.

It's always better to do a fresh update. And it's not uncommon for beta apps!

Overall, I like 0.5 better, but it would be nice if you would adopt a different storage model for the settings... like an XML one.

It would be helpful in such cases as beta testing.

For example to store the Host's TOS accepted values and settings in one xml, separately from the rest of the settings... or a subfolder, each host with its own xml file, so that when it gets an update it won't affect the rest of the plugins settings nor would it affect the overall app upgrade process.

Not to sound disrespectful, but I find it funny how you store data in the current way... it might have its advantages, I don't know since I'm not that familiar with this approach.
  #65  
Old 30.05.2009, 04:58
Gweilo's Avatar
Gweilo Gweilo is offline
JD Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagei View Post
Beg to differ gweilo but I wasn't insulting you. Besides my apology was for my previous posts on the subject of this new version and it was issued precisely because you a senior member intervened in this matter. Some of the other posters have been abusive and I do not care to be numbered among them. For all my complaints jd has been very helpful to me and I will always be grateful for that.
Since the post offended you i apologise again.That's not hypocrisy it's courtesy.
You seem to have made up your mind so I doubt anything I say would help. You could stick to your indignation of being insulted or you could accept it wasn't meant that way.

Fine. No ill will.


Less argumentively: I use text files to organise my links because it's universally compatible and in my text editor (Ultraedit) I can easily sort, search, merge, delete, make notes, convert to and from HTML/BBCODE for forum posts, use macros, use the font I like, etc., etc. It's no harder for me to switch to JD and paste them in to check links or download than to switch modes in JD itself.

My JD download window only has the links I'm downloading now. It can crash and trash them all and it's annoying but I don't lose any links. I can just do a fresh install in 10 minutes.
I can't imagine using it with pages and pages of links, shuffling and re/deactivating them. Possible surely but terribly fiddly.
  #66  
Old 30.05.2009, 11:17
djuzi's Avatar
djuzi djuzi is offline
JD Polish Support (inactive)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Poland
Posts: 486
Default

You guys ask why we did not put 0.4x back on our website. The reason is simple: 0.4 won't be developed anymore - so it means - it will work badly after few days, weeks, because of no plugin updates or so.
  #67  
Old 30.05.2009, 11:37
Gweilo's Avatar
Gweilo Gweilo is offline
JD Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djuzi View Post
You guys ask why we did not put 0.4x back on our website. The reason is simple: 0.4 won't be developed anymore - so it means - it will work badly after few days, weeks, because of no plugin updates or so.
Everyone knows that. But some people are digging up old copies on other sites and uploading them anyway.
If you could put up the last working version before the beta, and have it default to NOT check for updates, then you can make a lot of people happy. Put disclaimers on it: No support, no updates.

(It's quite normal for open source projects to make old versions available for those that want them for whatever reason, under those conditions.)

And it would only really be needed for a couple of weeks at most, I think, by then the .5 version should be stable enough to wean them off.
(I myself have been using the 0.5 and while not happy with the GUI changes, will stick with it.)
  #68  
Old 30.05.2009, 12:02
peter_zan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Version with future !

Hello everyone

I am so very pleased to see JD working flawlessly in the new version!! I tested the beta before but beside looking nice and neat it was a bit buggy. Now the recent update is just great!!

I am no JD geek, but with the new version I can collect my links in the first place and later decide what I want to download, for example when I change to faster internet ! LinkGrabber is a great function ! And monitoring clipboard is simply great!!

I think that prioritizing is the way to go, no top to bottom list !! I have my downloads in alphabetical order, I want to find the needed ones fast and just speed up one or a few of them when I need them.


And you know what is best of all ?? Plugins work again!!) I was able to continue downloads for files I had back from April that didn't download because of plugins running out of date. Hey it's been solved!


Overall great thanks to the developers. You did a BRILLIANT job and when I am done with paying my bills next week, you are getting a donation from me!!


Keep up the great work!!


Regards,

Peter
  #69  
Old 30.05.2009, 12:59
dRdoS7
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi,

I haven't read all of these posts but I'd like to remind people of 20 years or so of Microsoft bugs, or "undocumented features" to some. When was the last time you had a problem with a new version of MS Windows and you could very easily contact them to explain your problems or worthwhile additions and, more importantly get them addressed, and quickly?

There'll always be some trouble with a new version no matter how much it's tested (believe me, I've only had minor experience in programming very simple stuff where I work, and there's usually something not thought of or missed).

"The man who never made a mistake, never made anything"

My 2 cents worth.

dRdoS7.

PS. Keep up the good work!!!

Last edited by dRdoS7; 30.05.2009 at 13:01. Reason: missed the "t", see how easy it was to miss something!!!
  #70  
Old 31.05.2009, 01:34
sagei
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Gweilo thank you for meeting me halfway. This issue has caused some deep divisions and cooler heads are needed.
  #71  
Old 31.05.2009, 11:44
guix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The new jdownloader is not operative.
When i try to download show the error
Quote:
31-may-2009 10:39:05 - java_downloader-> Key not found: gui.images.play (null)
31-may-2009 10:39:05 - java_downloader-> Could not find image: gui.images.play
31-may-2009 10:39:05 - java_downloader-> image not found: gui.images.play(gui.images.play_32_32
31-may-2009 10:39:05 - java_downloader-> Exception occured
java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(Unknown Source)
at jd.utils.JDTheme.II(Unknown Source)
at jd.gui.skins.simple.SimpleGUI$12.run(SimpleGUI.java:830)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at jd.gui.skins.simple.JDEventQueue.dispatchEvent(JDEventQueue.java:175)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
The Jdownloader installation is fresh and the Java is updated.
Try to change the theme and language and the error continue.
  #72  
Old 31.05.2009, 12:09
whattheheck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi guix,

JDownloader downloads for me but i can reproduce the warnings you get in the log.

Try the following to see if it fixes your download problem.

When the links are added initially, they go into the linkgrabber window. To get them to actually download you must right click on the package name and select "Add selected package(s)".

Have a look at steps 14 and 15 of the following guide.

http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=2541

Rgds,
/heck
  #73  
Old 31.05.2009, 12:37
guix
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It works.
Thx:biggrin:
  #74  
Old 31.05.2009, 19:12
papa47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The new version has all kinds of problems. I don't want to sound ungrateful, I love jd, I couldn't download RS links without it.

I put 10 downloads into the program and went to bed, I woke up to find that only 2 of them were successful. I got all kinds of errors.

"aborted, no permissions to write to hard disks"

"Lost connection"

"program is out of memory"

several downloaded to 100% and did not extract

And my favorite...

a few of the files downloaded 100%, only to say "aborted, download incomplete"


I like the look and feel of the interface, vast improvements in user-friendliness, but the newer version has all kinds of bugs. I'm downloading the old version since it was stable and had very few issues.
  #75  
Old 31.05.2009, 21:19
Doug
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wow, thanks to everyone who added the links to the good previous version. It really helps to have it instead of the terrible new one (ugly too, it looks as bad as windows vista) in which you have to search for options for 10 minutes, click three times to do something that you could do with one click in the previous version, and when you finally click those three times, nothing will work anyway.

I had to re-add many links manually to the reinstalled old version but it was worth it. Can I ensure that the usable old version will never update to the horrible new one? For example, block something in the hosts file etc.?
  #76  
Old 01.06.2009, 08:28
yaroslavi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[COLOR="SeaGreen"
The sort function is working again in new updates!thank you very much JD team!I'm happy now:angel:[/COLOR]

I appreciate the developer's hard work,it's just that it's missing something here and there.Either than that,it's and excellent software at least for me.
OK, maybe some sorting functions have been appeared again in new updates, but, please, tell me, why you removed arrows, which allowed me to sort downloads in my own order. The only way to do it now is just to drag and drop. But it's really uncomfortable when you have a nubdred of downloads.
Please, return this arrows and especially the ones "On the top" and "Down", it will make work with JDownloader much easier.

Last edited by yaroslavi; 01.06.2009 at 08:29. Reason: mistake in quoting
  #77  
Old 01.06.2009, 08:35
papa47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Wow, thanks to everyone who added the links to the good previous version. It really helps to have it instead of the terrible new one (ugly too, it looks as bad as windows vista) in which you have to search for options for 10 minutes, click three times to do something that you could do with one click in the previous version, and when you finally click those three times, nothing will work anyway.

I had to re-add many links manually to the reinstalled old version but it was worth it. Can I ensure that the usable old version will never update to the horrible new one? For example, block something in the hosts file etc.?

You got that right!
  #78  
Old 07.06.2009, 01:14
tiny-e
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool Don't Panic.

Listen:

Firstly, I applaud the devs of JDownloader for making such a smart, feature-laden piece of software. In any one of its iterations, really blows away most of the competition (most of which is payware).

I also applaud their friendliness and restraint, as I would have told the douche that started this thread to piss off, and then locked the topic.

If you're paying money for a piece of software and someone pushes you an update that borks your system, you can be rightly irritated. If you, however, update to the latest BETA of a free application, don't expect things to work like they used to. Period.

The fact that there are so many updates should impress you as it shows this is not an abandonware project. This leads me to think that all issues will be ironed out in fairly-short order.

Until then, the process you have to go through to get your hentai/pr0n may be somewhat different than what you're used to. Deal with it.
  #79  
Old 07.06.2009, 08:40
papa47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny-e View Post
Listen:

Firstly, I applaud the devs of JDownloader for making such a smart, feature-laden piece of software. In any one of its iterations, really blows away most of the competition (most of which is payware).

I also applaud their friendliness and restraint, as I would have told the douche that started this thread to piss off, and then locked the topic.

If you're paying money for a piece of software and someone pushes you an update that borks your system, you can be rightly irritated. If you, however, update to the latest BETA of a free application, don't expect things to work like they used to. Period.

The fact that there are so many updates should impress you as it shows this is not an abandonware project. This leads me to think that all issues will be ironed out in fairly-short order.

Until then, the process you have to go through to get your hentai/pr0n may be somewhat different than what you're used to. Deal with it.
I agree with the person, not douche, as you so rudely put it, that started this thread that the new version is full of bugs and mistakes. Its a pretty rational expectation to think that an update would be a better product than its predecessor. And the latest version is not a Beta as you claim it to be, it is a full update that one would trust to be ready for the end user, which it clearly is not. When you start the program and the auto-update says new updates are ready to be installed, that is not a beta version, but an update to the program that should have already been tested and ready for the masses.
  #80  
Old 08.06.2009, 07:25
maloon44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Angry "Tested" ?? Really ?

I agree too! I'm on mac, the last version was something like paradise and the new one is full of bugs and absolutely useless...
And I really don't understand the argument why you did'nt put the old version on line with so many complaints !!
If anyone can give me some link to the last mac version before that terrible update ...:thumbup:
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:07.
Provided By AppWork GmbH | Privacy | Imprint
Parts of the Design are used from Kirsch designed by Andrew & Austin
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.