JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 28.05.2012, 15:57
peace

Arrow Same filename, but in fact different files

It can happent that two files have the same name but in fact it has to do with two totally different files. Currently JD skips the second file if you want to download it as it sees it as the same file (relevant option enabled of course). As the files have different filesizes and most of the times those are totally different filesizes, it could be possible to automatically download both just by implementing such a size comparison in order to avoid the manual and extra work involved.
Old 28.05.2012, 16:18
Community Manager

Bugtracker ticket:

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 03.06.2012, 21:49
peace

I checked the discussion in the ticket and I would like to add that it can happen that some archives have identical name and can also have different sizes, either because they have different compression rate (true mirror) or because one of them has a few more files (not an exact mirror, however both hold the same main files, thus it could regarded as a mirror), however when the filesize difference between the two files is huge, that is when one file is 10MB and the other 20MB, 30MB or more, those archives contain almost for sure completely different stuff. I have come across that issue many times and I had to manually rename one archive to also download the other as the archives contained completely different stuff and my default rule was set to skip identical files.
Old 04.06.2012, 05:07
English Supporter

why not use rename by default? if that's the out come you desire?

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 04.06.2012, 22:20
peace

Because by selecting by default Auto rename instead of Skip link I will download many times all the other files that do not pose such problem. A typical example would be: I have to download 100 files, for each file I queue 3-5 links (various hosters). If I choose Auto rename, I will download 100 files X 3 to 5 times = 300 to 500 files instead of only 100. That's true that the case of truly different file with identical filename is very rare but this is a fact that could be taken into account for the development of JD. And one of the safest way to judge if this is a different file is for JD to compare the filesizes, double size means for sure a different file (stuff), and in this latter case JD could autorename (as you suggested!) the second file... That would be a perfect handling from all aspects.
Old 05.06.2012, 04:32
English Supporter

problem is you can not rely on advertised filesize they are often wrong or rounded up or down. It's entirely up to the host provider. It is not a good judge on real filesize as indicated in the svn ticket. Think the best thing to do with your request is change how you add links to JD vs changing our behaviour within the controller as its not necessary. Use sort by filesize will get you the largest files within a given package once the largest are download others wont dl if you choose skip. In JD2 hover your mouse over the size column and right click sort by size (twice). Once the below ticket is created you should be able to add links as current sort order.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 05.06.2012, 18:50
peace

Wink

The only way it suits me to sort links and packages is by date added... So in case I want to download a new file that has the same name with another file I had downloaded in the past, this is skipped. That's true that many old files are the same with the new ones and are well skipped but some are not and they shouldn't be skipped. The major problem is that when a file is currently skipped I really do not know if this is skipped because it is really the same, as JD sees only the name and does not check at all the filesizes. If it could check the filesizes it would download the file. I hope now I provided more details of what I am facing. In fact, I need to check all the list (compare the filesizes) everytime there is a "File already exists" status instead of just deleting the link from the Download window.

I understand that there are hundreds of hosters but the hosters I have used so far never indicate wrong filesize. What they say it is or they round up or down but never double filesizes or display completely different filesizes, so it could be possible for JD to verify if there is a big difference in filesizes to regard this file as different, even if it has the same filename.