JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 15.01.2011, 17:54
iMax

Exclamation Hijacking a download

i am in North America; the download of files here is considered illegal, so all the "official" media and ISP are against any kind of "share" and/or "file-download"
Just pay for all the shit they sell: and all is OK.
I am using JDownloader to get my stuff from wherever and whenever I want.
This way I have all the control....or so I thought...
Watching it downloading a file of 200 Mb on my 500 kbps bandwidth is intersting.
The download starts and then will time out with socket error.
I would "reset" and wait...wait...wait...
Seemingly nothing is happening for 5-10 minutes, although I have a premium account and the stuff just should come down the pipe continuously...there is a sort of "hang-up" time.
Then all of a sudden the file is down in 20-30 seconds with the speed of 2.6 Mbps....my line is only 500 Kbps...
Based on my KGB experience this is some sort of 'holding-up-and-sniffing" politics done by the ISP.
Does anyone have the same experience?
Am I the only one/
Is this too crazy to happen?
Any thought is appreciated

PS: if this is the newest "control" over Internet usage; what can we do about this?
Old 16.01.2011, 13:00
remi

You can publish your findings on different forums in order to try finding other people who're experiencing the same problems.

When you see a pattern in all those facts you'll probably be able to find the cause.

This site already contains a lot of data. Maybe you should start searching here. Also read some sticky posts of this forum.

Note that I don't think downloading files is illegal in North America, otherwise that would make the Internet illegal and everybody would be in prison by now. By coming here you probably already downloaded hundreds of files from this site without being aware of it.
Old 17.01.2011, 16:01
Hoshi_Reed

I think you mean to say downloading copyrighted files is illegal, not "downloading files" as html, txt, jpg, png, your kid singing into the mic happy birthday and sent to you as an mp3, your friends wedding avi/mp4, all those banners and ads are FILES that everyone downloads and are legal.

As far as your problem goes;

Is this symptom also present when you don't use jD? Like save as function from your browser or use another Download Manager? Is it only specific files like mp3, mp4, rar, pdf, etc? Only from specific hosts like RS/MU or ALL downloads including basic html or your e-mail? Have you recently scanned for virus, malware, etc? Is your hardware okay? Is the ISP configured correctly and not having problems?

Pick the appropriate site/forum after you test all these possible causes.
Old 19.01.2011, 16:21
Hoshi_Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMax View Post
Watching it downloading a file of 200 Mb on my 500 kbps bandwidth is intersting.
The download starts and then will time out with socket error.
I would "reset" and wait...wait...wait...
Seemingly nothing is happening for 5-10 minutes, although I have a premium account and the stuff just should come down the pipe continuously...there is a sort of "hang-up" time.
Then all of a sudden the file is down in 20-30 seconds with the speed of 2.6 Mbps....my line is only 500 Kbps...
Didn't notice this closely.

How is your CPU usage/load and temp at the time? Also how is your time clock ticking? I'm currently having hardware problems that is causing my internet speed to "appear" higher than possible for my connection (be it through jD or regular web browsing or via DM's) and my sound/video crackles or stutters and sometimes the computer appears to freeze/slow down and takes 5-10 minutes to shutdown via the power button.

Like I said a few days ago, is this happening only in jD, if so then it is probably a bug or problem running jD (due to corruption, conflicting, etc) or across all your connections (if so then you may have a problem in hardware, OS, internet, etc)
Old 20.01.2011, 09:04
JD English Support (inactive)

JDownloader buffers up to 2 MB of data, so if something else is using most of the CPU time, JD will buffer the data and then when it saves the buffer it will appear to download very fast.

Please open your computer box and inspect for dirt (Dust Bunnies). Too much dirt can cause overheating and some dirt can conduct electricity and cause a short. Since the fans move the dirt around, the problems can be intermittent.

If you have a lot of dirt inside your computer, get a can of "compressed air" (really a liquid, don't breath it) and blow the dirt out.

Please download a copy of Sisoftware Sandra Lite (the free version). This has a module to graph your CPU temperature, fan speed, and voltages. You can start it running when you start your computer and then examine it after you have had a problem. The voltages should be almost constant. The temperature should rise to a specific value for your Processor and then not change much. The fan speed should increase and decrease based on the system use.

If the CPU temperature is OK and the CPU fan is constant, then it could be that the entire box is too hot and you probably need to clean or replace the case fan.

I have an old computer (without the equipment to show voltages and so on). When I saw that my processor chip was getting too hot, I took off the sides of my mid-tower case and taped a 20" (50cm) fan to the side of the box with the processor. The problem was that my home was getting too hot, so the case fan could not cool the computer enough. The fan is larger than the computer box and provides plenty of airflow.

I positioned the fan and computer so that my refrigerator blocks any EMF from the computer (you have to block the radio waves that the computer generates or it can interfere with your neighbour's radio, TV, or portable telephones - which is against the law in most countries). Another way to block the EMF is to cover one side of the fan with aluminium window screen and ground the screen to the computer box.
Old 20.01.2011, 09:53
remi

Wow, I would like to see a picture of that PC-fridge configuration.