JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 05.02.2010, 15:21
Danny182

Default standby

when I downloader the computer goes in standby, I don't see the plugin antstandby on the program. how can i solve??
Old 06.02.2010, 08:27
JD English Support (inactive)

In JDownloader, go to Settings - Plugins & Addons - Addons. Look for JDAntiStandBy. Make sure the box next to it is checked. Then, in the left hand column you should see a list of addons (the last on my list is JD unrar). JDAntiStandBy will be near the top of this list. Click on it. A page should appear that says Mode in the corner. If JD standby is missing from the list on the left, don't worry it will have default settings.

Click on the drop-down menu and select "Prevent standby while Downloading".
-----------------------------
Unless you are using a battery operated computer (laptop, notebook), you do not need it ever to go into standby. Modern computers and displays drop to less than 5% of their maximum power use when nothing is running. The only time you need Hibernate is when you want to power down the computer (maybe to move it), but you aren't finished with the programs.

Screen Savers are now only for fun. It is better to power down the monitor after 15 minutes and save the energy. Screen savers use your CPU and monitor, so they use energy and they may interfere with programs you are running (some take 80% of your CPU time.

Back in the 1980's we had black and white monitors that used to burn out the phosphor where ever something was displayed for hours at a time. Color monitors do not use the same phosphors or electron guns, so your windows do not burn into the screen. My monitor has clocked around 25000 hours and works fine..

So, you should change your power options in the Control panel. Set Screen Saver to None. On the Power page, Set your disk time-out to something reasonable like 10 minutes and your monitor time out to whatever seems reasonable (maybe 15 minutes). It has to be long enough that if you are just reading the screen it won't go blank before you move the mouse or type on the keyboard.

Set the standby and hibernation options to Never. If you disable hibernation, you get a lot of disk space back.
Old 06.02.2010, 14:05
Danny182

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
In JDownloader, go to Settings - Plugins & Addons - Addons. Look for JDAntiStandBy. Make sure the box next to it is checked. Then, in the left hand column you should see a list of addons (the last on my list is JD unrar). JDAntiStandBy will be near the top of this list. Click on it. A page should appear that says Mode in the corner. If JD standby is missing from the list on the left, don't worry it will have default settings.

Click on the drop-down menu and select "Prevent standby while Downloading".
-----------------------------
Unless you are using a battery operated computer (laptop, notebook), you do not need it ever to go into standby. Modern computers and displays drop to less than 5% of their maximum power use when nothing is running. The only time you need Hibernate is when you want to power down the computer (maybe to move it), but you aren't finished with the programs.

Screen Savers are now only for fun. It is better to power down the monitor after 15 minutes and save the energy. Screen savers use your CPU and monitor, so they use energy and they may interfere with programs you are running (some take 80% of your CPU time.

Back in the 1980's we had black and white monitors that used to burn out the phosphor where ever something was displayed for hours at a time. Color monitors do not use the same phosphors or electron guns, so your windows do not burn into the screen. My monitor has clocked around 25000 hours and works fine..

So, you should change your power options in the Control panel. Set Screen Saver to None. On the Power page, Set your disk time-out to something reasonable like 10 minutes and your monitor time out to whatever seems reasonable (maybe 15 minutes). It has to be long enough that if you are just reading the screen it won't go blank before you move the mouse or type on the keyboard.

Set the standby and hibernation options to Never. If you disable hibernation, you get a lot of disk space back.
thanks for the reply..
in addons i don't have that... look
http://i49.tinypic.com/1gqfdh.jpg
i updated the program..

help me
Old 06.02.2010, 14:26
remi

It probably is a Nightly-only add-on.
Old 06.02.2010, 21:39

I apologize. I just looked in JD 9.579 (with the plugin updates) and that addon is not there.

Please read the rest about not needing standby unless you are on a battery powered computer. This is in the last two paragraphs.

Just turn off standby, screen savers, and hibernation. set your computer to power down the hard drives and the monitor instead of standby.

I have an old computer with an old fashioned monitor. The monitor uses 60 watts of power. The computer + 4 external hard drives use 100 watts. After the system is idle for a while, it powers down by 1/2. Newer processors use only as much power as they need (if you use 25% of the processor power, it will power down to about 30%, even when you are interacting with it).

:) For now, this is the price of running JD, but not feeding it enough links to keep it working until you return.

If you are desperate, you can change to the Nightly test version, but I do not recommend it.

Last edited by drbits; 06.02.2010 at 21:42.
Old 07.02.2010, 02:07
Danny182

ok, so U are telling me, that I should take off the automatic standby on my computer ...
there isn't an antistandby for this jD... when?
Old 07.02.2010, 09:58

That is all correct.

An antistandby addon will be in the next Major release. I don't know when that will be. Everything here is free and none of the people are paid. It is difficult to predict availability of volunteers (they seem to put their job and family before JD).

It is not costing you a lot in electric power to leave the computer running, especially if you turn off the display when you leave.

The heaviest JD users don't worry about that, we leave JD running 167 hours per week.

This discussion is done.

CLOSED
Old 07.02.2010, 10:08
remi

You can also use the JD Shutdown add-on to shut your computer down when the downloads are finished or, as drbits says, feed jD enough links to keep it running.

You'll only find the anti-standby add-on in the Nightly version, but that's for testers or people who like to take risks.
Old 07.02.2010, 11:21
Danny182

ok thank u guys..