JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.08.2017, 08:52
denywinarto denywinarto is offline
DSL Light User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
Default Installing for multiple users under multiseat

I'm working on multiseat deployment using aster multiseat.
details : **External links are only visible to Support Staff**www.ibik.ru
Basically each seat has its own username and thus appdata folder
And i want all users to be able to use Jd separately

Now what i want to achieve is,
each user must store download under their own appdata,
but app files must stay in sync under 1 folder, because jdownloader updates very frequently.

It's complicated since Jdownloader doesn't allow install for all users.
Is there anyway to sync the app files using symlink while having different config (just for download locations) ?

Which file should i be looking for this purpose?

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.08.2017, 09:00
Jiaz's Avatar
Jiaz Jiaz is offline
JD Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 65,294
Default

I'm sorry but JDownloader doesn't support multiseat installations. Each user requires his own installation. But of course you can try. settings/lists are stored in cfg folder, so this must be bound to each user
Rest you can try to share/symlink. On an unix system this won't work because user a updating JDownloader will result in files owned by a and b no longer can access those files.
__________________
JD-Dev & Server-Admin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.08.2017, 11:37
denywinarto denywinarto is offline
DSL Light User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
On an unix system this won't work because user a updating JDownloader will result in files owned by a and b no longer can access those files.
I'm using windows 10,
So it's pointless even if i symlink'ed all of them?
e.g Once it's updated by admin it won't be usable by user a and b
any other workaround?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.08.2017, 11:40
Jiaz's Avatar
Jiaz Jiaz is offline
JD Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 65,294
Default

Files created by admin/user xy won't be accessable/readable by user z
That's why a JDownloader installation does not support multiple users
You could move all users to the same group, then it should work
__________________
JD-Dev & Server-Admin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08.08.2017, 11:51
denywinarto denywinarto is offline
DSL Light User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Files created by admin/user xy won't be accessable/readable by user z
That's why a JDownloader installation does not support multiple users
You could move all users to the same group, then it should work
Hmm that would complicate my setup even i more i think cause i need 1 admin for maintenance and other users being non-admin with certain features being blocked.. i guess i'll copy paste to all users for now..
Please consider this in the future, IIRC IDM can also be installed for all users..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.08.2017, 11:55
Jiaz's Avatar
Jiaz Jiaz is offline
JD Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 65,294
Default

Not that easy because of ownership/permission issues. There are no plans at the moment to provide support for that.
__________________
JD-Dev & Server-Admin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.08.2017, 12:30
raztoki's Avatar
raztoki raztoki is offline
English Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 16,191
Default

our users don't typically need it application and configs separated. It's really only required for people who want to use the program commercially.

raztoki
__________________
raztoki @ jDownloader reporter/developer
http://svn.jdownloader.org/users/170

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.08.2017, 09:52
denywinarto denywinarto is offline
DSL Light User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
our users don't typically need it application and configs separated. It's really only required for people who want to use the program commercially.

raztoki
Sorry for the late reply, well im using it for multimedia school purpose, but it guess it's still commercial since they hired me for it

IDM separates each user's download based on my documents location,
is there anyway to set the download path to %My Documents% or C:\Users\%user%\Downloads?

I tested it but jd wont accept it..

Can i request this for a feature? Make Jdownloader accept relative my documents path..

Last edited by denywinarto; 25.08.2017 at 10:15.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.08.2017, 10:51
raztoki's Avatar
raztoki raztoki is offline
English Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 16,191
Default

JDownloader is multiple licence project. But I guess you should pass it to your legal team to make sure, as I'm not giving you legal advice.

in respects to download path. JD will work with relative path, think it has to be within the install directory though. You might be able to go lower by using series of '../' for instance

I don't believe we do support operating specific wildcards. So no environment based setters $home or %user%.
To say yes or no on the request, I'll leave that decision up to Appwork as it they will be the ones making support, and most likely be stored within Appwork Project.

raztoki
__________________
raztoki @ jDownloader reporter/developer
http://svn.jdownloader.org/users/170

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.08.2017, 12:31
denywinarto denywinarto is offline
DSL Light User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
JDownloader is multiple licence project. But I guess you should pass it to your legal team to make sure, as I'm not giving you legal advice.

in respects to download path. JD will work with relative path, think it has to be within the install directory though. You might be able to go lower by using series of '../' for instance

I don't believe we do support operating specific wildcards. So no environment based setters $home or %user%.
To say yes or no on the request, I'll leave that decision up to Appwork as it they will be the ones making support, and most likely be stored within Appwork Project.

raztoki
How does this relative path works?
googled a bit and there are posts mentioning to put /downloaded as relative path download.
I tried it but it doesn't work.

Ok i will post in on feature subforums.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28.08.2017, 14:05
Jiaz's Avatar
Jiaz Jiaz is offline
JD Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 65,294
Default

Any folder within the JDownloader folder itself will work relative. That means JDownloader will update the folder location automatically. This is useful for usb drives or multi os usage.
__________________
JD-Dev & Server-Admin
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28.08.2017, 14:06
Jiaz's Avatar
Jiaz Jiaz is offline
JD Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 65,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denywinarto View Post
IDM separates each user's download based on my documents location,
is there anyway to set the download path to %My Documents% or C:\Users\%user%\Downloads?
You have to specify full path. JDownloader does not evaluate environment variables
__________________
JD-Dev & Server-Admin
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:05.
Provided By AppWork GmbH | Privacy | Imprint
Parts of the Design are used from Kirsch designed by Andrew & Austin
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.