JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 19.11.2010, 06:34
slogga

Default Video Errors & Bluescreens Using JD

Hey there,

been using JDownloader for a while now, but recently I have begun to have a weird error that causes video errors & blue screens.

Basically, while watching a video file using any program (I have tried VLC, quicktime WMP, makes no difference) and JDownloader at the same time, eventually the video output will corrupt, displaying weird colours etc, and then the whole system will freeze and blue screen with many different errors.

Before you ask, yes I am 100% sure this is a JDownloader or Java error, it only ever happens while watching a video + using JDownloader. I am also sure this isn't a video card problem or driver error, because I have tried multiple drivers for 2 separate cards, both of which work fine in my other computer.

I am aware I should get a log for the error, but I don't have time to get one before the system dies. Is there anyway to identify what might be wrong with it?
Old 19.11.2010, 07:30
JD English Support (inactive)

Without further information, my best guess is that you have an incompatibility between your video card and java. Some users have problems with Java 6 update 18, java 6 update 22, any 64 bit Java version and any version of Java earlier than 1.6.0_10 (6 update 10). If you are running any of these, please download and install Java 32 bit JRE 6 update 21 from java.sun.com/products/archive.

If that does not fix the problem, please create a script (or BAT file) for starting JDownloader (assuming Windows OS):
Code:
cd /d <your jdownloader directory>
java -Dsun.java2d.ddscale=true -Xmx512m -jar jdownloader.jar
To make things easier, you can create a shortcut on your desktop for this command. This is what JDownloader.exe does, with the extra -D parameter.

If you are using OS-X or Linux, leave the /d out of the cd command.
If you are using OS-X, leave the -Xmx512m out of the second command line.

If using the proper Java version or adding the extra command line parameter helps, please let us know what helped.

If you still have problems, please post the emergency log and the other requested information (below).

We need to know at least:
the JD version
the Java version
the OS and version
Video Card Manufacturer and model

Please read and follow General Discussion -> Self Help Index -> Posting an emergency log.
This starts JDownloader from the command line and saves a copy of the log to disk, so your log is saved, even if the system hangs.
Old 19.11.2010, 10:48
slogga

Hey, thanks for your reply.

As I noted, it's not a video card problem, because I have tried different video cars with the same result.

Unfortunately, neither of those suggestions fixed anything. I updated to Update 21, and I tried running JDownloader using a bat file, but the problem still occurred.

JD Version: -xmas Version 0.9.580
Java Version: JRE 6 Update 21
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional x64-bit
Video Card models tried: Zotac ATi 6850
Leadtek GeForce GTX275
Sapphire ATi 4850

I will try to replicate it and get a log for you.

ok, trying to run the .bat file, I am getting this message in the jderr.txt error log:

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

It is not running JD after I enter this command into the console, so maybe I am doing something wrong?

Last edited by slogga; 19.11.2010 at 10:55.
Old 20.11.2010, 11:04
slogga

Bump.
Old 20.11.2010, 11:20

Read the rules. You must wait 72 hours before bumping. We do not have enough staff to read every message quickly. On the other hand, after a whole day, I can understand bumping.
---------------------------------------------
For some reason, your java directory is not being found. Please make sure you have installed the 32 bit version of java JRE 6 update 21 (1.6.0_21).
Code:
cd /d <your java directory>
java -version
Change the batch file to put the Java directory in front of the second line.
Code:
<your java directory>\java -Dsun.java2d.ddscale=true -Xmx512m -jar jdownloader.jar
Usually, the Java directory under Windows 7 x64 is
c:\program files (x86)\java\jre6\bin
or
c:\program files (x86)\java\java6\bin
Old 21.11.2010, 09:41
slogga

Ok, I successfully ran JDownloader using the bat, however after I triggered the issue, nothing showed up with either text file (jderr and the other one).

Is there nothing else I can try? I have tried multiple versions of

VLC Player
JDownloader
Java
Driver versions

What else could be causing the problem?
Old 21.11.2010, 12:52
remi

Let me adjust drbits' message. drbits is correct, but not as clear as you would like it to be.

You need to provide an "emergency" log, otherwise you'll be wasting your time.
Old 21.11.2010, 13:12

The scripts above are not the scripts for an emergency log. The jderr.txt file is not mentioned in your script, so it is never created. If JDownloader works and your computer is not crashing, then you have success.

If you are still having a problem, look in the JDownloader directory for "hs_err*.log". Please attach these to a message.

To post an emergency log on your system, run JDownloader this way:
Code:
<your java directory>\java -verbose -Dsun.java2d.ddscale=true -Xmx512m -jar jdownloader.jar -debug -brdebug 1>jdlog.txt 2>jderr.txt
Combine the two text files and the hs_err*.log files into an archive and attach it to a message.

Java and your multimedia program both use some of the special features on your graphics adapter board. However, if you install the correct driver for the board, then there should not be conflicts.

JD displays dialogues and Captcha prompts in On-Top mode.If you are using VLC in full-screen mode, make sure to set Always On Top. If you are using VLC in a window, it does not matter.

For best results, use a display board that is relatively new (the model should be from the past two years) and the most up to date driver from the display board's support web site. However, this does not affect JDownloader much. It mostly affects full-screen display and games.

I often use JDownloader and VLC in full-screen mode at the same time. I use a similar command line to the recommended Emergency Log line earlier in this message. The differences are that I have an old machine with limited memory (and a 9 year old display board), so I change the -Xmx512m to -Xmx384m, add an option that changes java to adapt its memory use to the available memory. I also add the JD version, date, and time to the log files (I archive my log files, because I am a tester).