JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 29.09.2014, 21:26
wijitha

Default "Start Controller" - Programme not opening

After updating, Start controller message appears and Programme not loading.
Old 29.09.2014, 23:11
Community Manager

Log and other information missing!

GreeZ psp

Ad-free installers || Werbefreie Installer
Windows Setup<--JD2 BETA-->Linux Setup x86 || Linux Setup x64 || Mac Setup
-----=>Support Chat<=-----
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
That's true James
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Die Leute verstehen einfach nicht dass nur weil man mit einer Waffe auch auf Menschen schießen kann dass ein Schützenver​ein kein Ort für Amoklaufide​en ist
Old 13.10.2014, 10:12
jugno123

Since the last update I'm having trouble with downloading.
I have links in the download queue and when I press "Start download" it doesn't respond, and stops (like nothing is there).
I tried this with many links from different websites and nothing works.
Old 13.10.2014, 13:14
Community Manager

Log please!

GreeZ psp

Ad-free installers || Werbefreie Installer
Windows Setup<--JD2 BETA-->Linux Setup x86 || Linux Setup x64 || Mac Setup
-----=>Support Chat<=-----
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
That's true James
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Die Leute verstehen einfach nicht dass nur weil man mit einer Waffe auch auf Menschen schießen kann dass ein Schützenver​ein kein Ort für Amoklaufide​en ist
Old 27.10.2014, 08:19
stevenmusicmaker

1) @Pspzockerscene, I would think that if the program, jDownloader V. 0.9.581, is not opening up properly but instead is locked in the 'start controller' loop which is scrolling over & over & over at the bottom of the initial jDownloader icon that shows before the app is 'painted' you might understand that someone in that case cannot exactly create a log. So why are you asking for one?

Besides, how are you suppose to create a log for something that ONLY HAPPENS when you are starting the program while it gets caught in a loop saying 'start controller' while never opening the program? If it opened, you would not need to create a log to begin with because there would be no problem then!

2) I have a MacBook Pro running SnowLeopard and I had not updated since June 9, 2014 (because of things like this). When I updated October 26, 2014, I began getting this 'start controller' problem. Since most people are on Windows it is difficult to understand what files to remove, much less what that might do to the program, since that is NEVER actually explained!

3) How long has this problem been going on? I see comments going back to February of 2014 with this issue!

4) I think there is a Mac section but I do not know where it is! I find it all a little confusing.

5) I have been using jDownloader since 2010 and think the program is great, so thank you to those who work on it, it is indispensable!

Thank you

Edited, added later:
Lram32 said:

Yes, the problem wasn't with BitloadCom, as you said was caused by other plugin.
According to other user's feedback, the solution also is deleting the folder hoster (C:\JDownloader\jd\plugins\hoster)

Well, after I initially posted this I went into my Mac inside the application folder to see if I could locate some folders with those names. I did find ...jDownloader\jd\plugins\hoster, and when I removed the entire folder -'hoster' filled with names of hosting sites, jDownloader finally opened, but then it would not copy links to the linkgrabber. An un-updated-jDownloader (old copy) is still working and copies links, but not the one I removed 'hoster' that finally opened. I replaced the folder and it went back to showing 'start controller' scrolling in the initial icon that shows up when first opening that is supposed to say 'painting app?'! What should I do now, besides keep using my older un-updated program? Thankfully I did make this ( actually several) backups!

This was why I asked what would happen if you removed 'hoster' (to fix the initial problem), since a non-functional downloader is as useful as one that refuses to open, scrolling 'star controller'!

---And remember, like under my name, I'm a 'babe'.....:)

Last edited by stevenmusicmaker; 27.10.2014 at 09:24.
Old 27.10.2014, 09:27
English Supporter

Assuming logging level in jd09 is enabled (at some level), the log is saved in the base install path, its over written on start. So it should be present if enabled, else not start jd via command line and output log to file. something along the lines of java -jar JDownloader.jar -debug > output.txt

I would try JDownloader 2 and see if that resolves the issue for you. Logging has changed in that version, its more verbose which allows us to identify issues easier/quicker.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 28.10.2014, 02:23
stevenmusicmaker

@raztoki, thanks for responding.

I am using a Macbook Pro, running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, and yes, jDownloader V. 0.9.581. I have multiple backups of V. 0.9.581 (they have not been updated since June 9, 2014--I update when I no longer can download from certain sites, I was trying to see if those sites were fixed when this 'start controller' problem developed on updating Oct. 26, 2014), I even hunted for and found my old disk-image for jD V. 0.8.821, which I opened and updated. At least with jD V. 0.8.821 updated I am able to download from one site that quit downloading without the fresh updates (Dailymotion), but VeeHD still will not download without logging into VeeHD, it use to work just by copying the link, logged in or not! Plus I have my backup copies of jD V. 0.9.581 (but certain sites no longer download properly now, like also Filenuke).

But I really do like to keep a running list of everything I have downloaded.

1) Do others do that or do they remove all that info?

I notice that previous downloads are being grayed out and I like the script dark (easier to read) and

2) I wonder why jD V. 0.8.821 is graying out after downloading a file?

3) Why did jD start graying out (and even eliminating) things from my download list?

I am glad I had backups, it is one reason I quit updating, so these things would not happen!

Anyway, I can do quite complicated tasks, but on the computer some things need to be spelled out completely (I'm a 'babe', remember:). So I tried looking in the applications folder on my Macbook Pro, under 'Contents' for a text file you mentioned. While I found
JDownloader.jar & JDownloader.exe & jdupdate.jar I did not find any other associated txt files nearby. Plus I did not know what you wanted me to do with that file (it is inside the Application folder itself I found these things under 'Contents'.

So, to recap, I previously found that by removing the 'hoster' folder I could get jD V. 0.9.581 to stop scrolling 'start controller' and it would then 'paint' the program. But the program-application would not function, would not copy links. Nor could I update!!!

I was thinking about copying a 'hoster' folder from one of my backups of the same jD V. 0.9.581 (but not updated since June 9). If it functions, I will try to see if it works on sites that the older jD V. 0.8.821 (which is updated) works on.

I may even try taking the 'hoster' from jD V. 0.8.821 (which is updated) and see if THAT adds greater functionality on sites not working on jD V. 0.9.581 (VeeHD, Filenuke, Dailymotion). Dailymotion NOW works on jD V. 0.8.821, so there's THAT!:)

I might try jDownloader 2, but I liked the (previous) way jD V. 0.9.581 use to work before the graying and doing changes I did not tell it to do!

Any suggestions about the 'start controller' problem, to fix it?

Can you answer my numbered questions, too? Anybody?

Anyway, thank you for responding!

Steve
Old 28.10.2014, 02:45
English Supporter

a) keeping all previous downloads as history in download tab is not recommended for any extended period of time. Each entry requires memory allocation and this can be quite system consuming in GUI refresh tasks also! I advise that you purge everything older than 1 month. Do not keep more than 5 000 - 10 000 links.

2) freezing on load can be caused by out of memory and too many plugins. Deleting the plugins directory can cause updater to grab them all again and it will mean less plugins because we periodically delete old plugins. Up until couple months ago, we were not doing this regularly (manual process) and JD0.9 would run out of memory caused by too many plugins!

3) would only eliminate when you tell it to ? I assume you changed a setting to remove links as processed maybe?

Try JDownloader 2 , see how you go! Make a backup of existing 0.9 and JD2 to a new path. You then will have copy of both and you can switch between.

raztoki

Old 28.10.2014, 08:19
stevenmusicmaker

Hey raztoki, thanks for the response!

I did not describe the 'disappearing link' problem properly. I looked back on my older backups and what happened is I updated jD V. 09 and it started graying-out all the old links that were dead and removing them from my 'Total Size'. Why did the programmers change the program to do that?

I liked these old links dark-black (I can read them) and I liked my count size (i know…) but I just do not like what has been the same for like years and years to suddenly change without any warning of any sort!

So, I had a backup and I started using it without updating, since it still had the links. My current jDownloader V. 0.9.581 only has 1248 links in the 'Download' list, but an older backup has 7,700 links or more. Sometime I research when I downloaded something in the past, or I searched for links that still work to re-download, and it was/is a nice resource to have all links in one place.

1) Do you know why the jD program started graying stuff out once it downloads? This is a newer 'feature' I would like to disable, does this happen to you too?

1) Can you disable this graying-out of what is just downloaded?

MY REAL PROBLEM HERE:

Anyway. Remember, I am running on a MacBook Pro using Snow Leopard and V. 0.9.581. The problem is, --I updated October 26, 2014 and when I tried to reopen jD V. 09 the initial icon only scrolled a continuous 'start controller' at the bottom of the icon, instead of 'painting user interface'.

Someone suggested replacing the 'hoster' folder saying it 'solved' the problem IT DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. If I empty hoster of its contents the jD DOES open but does NOT work properly.

If I take an older hoster folder from a backup and replace, then it DOES open and 'paint user interface' but it will not run the module to check for updates so I am stuck with an app with no updates!

2) Is jDownloader trying to force everyone to go to jDownloader 2?

3) Is there a true fix for V. 0.9.581 for the 'start controller' problem?

4) WHAT'S APP?

I may have missed the solution.:(

Steve

Remember, I'm a 'babe', says so under my name:)
Old 28.10.2014, 09:15
English Supporter

1a) no new core updates since 2009. nothing has changed in which would cause that, other than maybe your settings.
1b) believe greying out happens at times for mirror handling once 1 starts above and you have max sim cons higher it will progress to the next download. The rest below become greyed out. once again see 1a) this has always been the case in that version and earlier.

2) JDownloader is a application, and we are not forcing upgrade yet. It will happen shortly, and updates to 0.9 will stop. No fixes can be applied to this version, all fixes are only available in JD2 because of development cycle and old update system doesn't permit it. Please give JD2 a go and see how you go!

3) still undetermined the reason/cause, only speculation as I haven't see any logs or teamviewed. I gave reasons why already for the speculation.

4) not following.

Last edited by raztoki; 28.10.2014 at 10:22.
Old 28.10.2014, 10:06
stevenmusicmaker

Raztoki, thanks for all your answers.

Number 4, What's app, was a play on words, what's up (why this problem with 'start controller' and no real fix for the app:).

You stated this as a fix (I found it searching):

08.03.2014, 07:57

raztoki
Tasmanian JDevil

close jdownloader, and run jdupdate.jar (found within the installation directory of 0.9 and old NIGHTLY)

this was fixed slightly after updates where pushed, only a few would be effected if they updated within that window.

(Steve)
Where is the installation directory? Is it part of the jD program/application? Where is the installation directory of 0.9 and old NIGHTLY?

I don't mean to be dense, but I am missing your solution.

You wrote this solution back in March and yet when I updated in October/2014 I experienced this 'start controller' problem! That's a wide window for this problem to still be occurring!

Besides changing to jD-2 BETA,

1) Would you please explain what your solution I quoted means?

2) Coud you explain, "run jdupdate.jar (found within the installation directory of 0.9 and old NIGHTLY)"

3) I do not know where the installation directory of V. 0.9.581 is?

I will think about jD-2 BETA, but I would prefer a working V. 0.9.581 with all my links listed in the downloader window.

4) Can that list be surgically implanted into jD-2 BETA's program, a config folder or some other name? I have been searching through the bowels of jD V. 0.9.581, so I could find it and implant it!:)

Thank you for all you answers.

I really do appreciate your help! But I would like my older program to get healthy again and accept the updates without showing 'start controller'!

Kindly,

Steve

Last edited by stevenmusicmaker; 28.10.2014 at 10:08. Reason: sp
Old 28.10.2014, 10:29
English Supporter

can you please paste link to that quoted text, or use the quote button so I can actually read the source thread, I have no context to that threads history. Your issue may or may not be related.

where is it installed? windows users program files most likely and mac /applciation/jdownloader.app

you can import 0.9 into JD2 by either copying config/ directory into JD2 install path before running JD2 for the first time. On first run it will convert configs over (accounts/lists/settings). You can also import via add container/volume file menu but all links hit linkgrabber and you loose download history etc.

raztoki

Old 28.10.2014, 11:15
stevenmusicmaker

Raztoki, here is the link, most of the posts were discussing the 'start controller' problem on this page.

http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=55823

I don't know how to use the quote button, sorry!

When you say "you can import 0.9 into jD2 by either copying config/directory into jD2," are you saying that I go into my application folder on my Macbook Pro and find the config folder or directory folder(?) in 0.9 and then go into the application folder for jD2 and replace that config folder (directory folder?) with the config folder from 0.9?

1) Is that what you mean?

Many of your solutions go over-my-head because I think you assume I am fluent in programming or something. You cannot be too simplified for me, since I do not have great confidence in how to do stuff on computers. It does not mean I am not capable, but that phrasing and terms about the program are still Greek to me, sometimes. Please, break it down in itty bitty steps! I won't mind, and judging from some of the comments posted elsewhere when telling how to fix a problem, others won't mind either.

2) Are you then saying that after placing 0.9's config folder or directory into jD2's config folder, that when I 'run' jD2 for the first time that it will then process the config folder properly from 0.9, showing my download history properly?

At least, that's what I think you said!

Anyway, I am still hoping a real solution is out there for jD V. 0.9.581 on the 'start controller' problem. It is NOT solved, at least, I have no working understanding of a solution!

3) Did the link I just give help you understand what you wrote which I quoted in my previous post?

Thank you, raztoki, for your patience!:)

Steve

Remember, I'm a 'babe', says so under my name...:)

Last edited by stevenmusicmaker; 28.10.2014 at 11:19. Reason: add "for the first time, showing my download history properly"
Old 28.10.2014, 12:34
English Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmusicmaker View Post
Raztoki, here is the link, most of the posts were discussing the 'start controller' problem on this page.

http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=55823
thanks, I don't think your issue is related to that thread to be honest. Last time that happened it effected large group of people, this time you are the only person.

Quote:
I don't know how to use the quote button, sorry!
where you copied the test from (post) it has buttons quote and quote+ for normal users.
quote+ allows you to press many different posts , once you have multiple selection done (button changes colour when you click) you press quote button and it will open editor when quotes all provided.

Quote:
When you say "you can import 0.9 into jD2 by either copying config/directory into jD2," are you saying that I go into my application folder on my Macbook Pro and find the config folder or directory folder(?) in 0.9 and then go into the application folder for jD2 and replace that config folder (directory folder?) with the config folder from 0.9?
yes. jd 0.9 has a config/ directory jd2 uses cfg/ directory. you paste the config/ from 0.9 into root path that has cfg/ logs/ tmp/ etc.

Quote:
1) Is that what you mean?

Many of your solutions go over-my-head because I think you assume I am fluent in programming or something. You cannot be too simplified for me, since I do not have great confidence in how to do stuff on computers. It does not mean I am not capable, but that phrasing and terms about the program are still Greek to me, sometimes. Please, break it down in itty bitty steps! I won't mind, and judging from some of the comments posted elsewhere when telling how to fix a problem, others won't mind either.
Maybe easier with teamviewer session than going back and forth, its very time consuming for both of us and its not getting anywhere.

Jump our online chat and find myself or coalado and ask for Teamviewer session

Quote:
2) Are you then saying that after placing 0.9's config folder or directory into jD2's config folder, that when I 'run' jD2 for the first time that it will then process the config folder properly from 0.9, showing my download history properly?

At least, that's what I think you said!
yes see above I answered that again.

Quote:
Anyway, I am still hoping a real solution is out there for jD V. 0.9.581 on the 'start controller' problem. It is NOT solved, at least, I have no working understanding of a solution!

3) Did the link I just give help you understand what you wrote which I quoted in my previous post?

Thank you, raztoki, for your patience!:)

Steve

Remember, I'm a 'babe', says so under my name...:)
think that's covered above also.