JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Go Back   JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH > English Support > Suggestions & Requests

Old 08.09.2010, 15:24
roflmywaffle

Talking JDownloader "Home" tab

What do you guys think about having a "Home" tab for JDownloader?

A sort of a project tab of some sort with a giant embossed, fancy JD logo on the top half of the tab, with maybe a feedreader / tickerbar for current updates for JDownloader from the SVN logs. I think it would be pretty neat; a sort of corporate identity to show the awesomeness of JD. And maybe even provide some links from the tab; a link to the homepage, a link to the forum, or whatever else, something clever you guys could come up with.

Just a thought is all. Let's see what you guys think.
Old 08.09.2010, 19:49
JD Legend

Would be neat indeed but who wants to administer that thing? We even don't have daily Twitter/Facebook updates

-------------------------------------------

Besucht meinen Entwicklerblog: mike-bonn.de
Old 09.09.2010, 12:59
remi

I would like to have some webcam output there.

A webcam showing how hard Jiaz is working. Answering his phone, answering chat questions, drinking, replying to thread posts, shopping, solving problems, organising teamviewer sessions, debugging code, wiping his sweat, refactoring code, managing the servers, eating, writing code, studying some courses, creating svn entries, sleeping (does he ever sleep or can he multitask that as well?), etc.

I think that would be spectacular.
Old 09.09.2010, 15:08
Community Manager & Admin (inaktiv)

Haha, indeed.
But don't forget coalado and Greeny. ^^
Greetz

REGELN: Bugreports | RULES: Bugreports

Erste Schritte & Tutorials | Self Help Index | Read Me | JD 2 Beta - FAQ

Support Chat

Keep smiling, it's simple!
Old 10.09.2010, 12:36
remi

I would use a split screen with Jiaz and psp. I like observing hard working people.
Old 10.09.2010, 13:54
Community Manager & Admin (inaktiv)

He's not working as hard as you think.
Oops, okay, I shut up. ^^
Greetz

REGELN: Bugreports | RULES: Bugreports

Erste Schritte & Tutorials | Self Help Index | Read Me | JD 2 Beta - FAQ

Support Chat

Keep smiling, it's simple!
Old 11.09.2010, 16:51
roflmywaffle

Haha, so it's essentially webcams.com, only no (or less) nudity.
Old 12.09.2010, 12:57
remi

That totally depends on what Jiaz and psp will be wearing. I'm not into guys so that will be more interesting for the female customers. LOL.

Let's wait for a decision by jD's management.
Old 15.09.2010, 16:24
roflmywaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I'm not into guys so that will be more interesting for the female customers. LOL.
More interestingly, are there any female customers of JDownloader? I think the next questionnaire should be gender based, just to know for research purposes.
Old 15.09.2010, 16:41
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflmywaffle View Post
More interestingly, are there any female customers of JDownloader?P
Yes, for sure. I also have a (beuatiful) female friend who has an armlet made of an cat-5 and some months ago I had a girlfriend who was using JD daily - I also tried to convince her to participate in JDs developement (informatics students ^^)

Oh wow, this is bloody off-topic and I'm even feeding it

-------------------------------------------

Besucht meinen Entwicklerblog: mike-bonn.de

Last edited by vivalostioz; 15.09.2010 at 16:43.
Old 15.09.2010, 22:10
JD Manager

Home Tab: Good Idea.
We were thinking of something like this anyway.

@Remi: Yes he sleeps. Sometimes ;-P
Old 16.09.2010, 12:21
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostioz View Post
Yes, for sure. I also have a (beuatiful) female friend who has an armlet made of an cat-5 and some months ago I had a girlfriend who was using JD daily - I also tried to convince her to participate in JDs developement (informatics students ^^)

Oh wow, this is bloody off-topic and I'm even feeding it
I don't think you're off-topic, because you can theoretically ask her to make a picture of that beautiful armlet and put that picture in the Home tab. jD would get a totally different look and feel.

Let's ask what Greeny things about it, because he didn't respond to this thread yet.

Note that this thread is becoming hilariously popular in my country.
Old 16.09.2010, 14:54
Greeny

I like this feature, too. Closable Tab, for sure ^^
Old 19.09.2010, 15:43
roflmywaffle

Haha, awesome!

So the plan is now coming together (hopefully).... *maniacal laugh*

By yeah, could there also be some sort of live counter to see how many JD users there are online at any time? Just to get an idea of the average global usage of JD (would be good for statistics purposes, trends, promoting the awesomeness of JDownloader, etc.).
Old 19.09.2010, 15:48
roflmywaffle

So yeah, I take it that the general consensus is that this is a good idea, and would be considered (of course, still pending).

So, what should be included on the closable Home tab then?

I was thinking the following:

- Giant, embossed JDownloader logo
- Minifeed for updates from the SVN site
- Count of active internet users connected through JDownloader

Anything else?
Old 20.09.2010, 13:20
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflmywaffle View Post
Just to get an idea of the average global usage of JD (would be good for statistics purposes, trends, promoting the awesomeness of JDownloader, etc.).
Why not some statistics about how much was downloaded in this session, in all previous sessions accumulated, the duration of the session, the duration of all previous sessions accumulated, etc.?
Old 20.09.2010, 17:31
roflmywaffle

Quote:
Why not some statistics about how much was downloaded in this session, in all previous sessions accumulated, the duration of the session, the duration of all previous sessions accumulated, etc.?
Any sort of statistic deemed interesting, valuable, important or informative is welcome.

But my concern is: this might rely heavily on usage data, and users may feel uncomfortable with the idea that what they are downloading is somewhat "monitored". What do you think?

Last edited by roflmywaffle; 28.09.2010 at 16:32.
Old 26.09.2010, 16:25
remi

These basic statistics exist in other download managers. Have a look at Azureus.

Automated gathering of statistics about other people's use of jD might become a privacy issue and I wouldn't consider it or turn it off.

My concern is that all the data (giant jD logo, feedreader / tickerbar, links, webcams, armlet picture, live counter, statistics) will be difficult to accommodate in one tab, unless customers are using a giant screen.

Maybe a 'learning' function based on the inputs of an eye tracking device might be needed here. I think jD might become the first downloader in the universe with this sort of sophistication.
Old 27.09.2010, 06:04
roflmywaffle

Quote:
My concern is that all the data (giant jD logo, feedreader / tickerbar, links, webcams, armlet picture, live counter, statistics) will be difficult to accommodate in one tab, unless customers are using a giant screen.
I am still rather intrigued at the fact that there's still talk about the webcams.

But with regards to screen resolution, surely there could be a new questionnaire just for this? A quick question (multiple choice naturally), listing all known sizes (or at least sizes that are common to most video card drivers), and then collect data from there...

The wikipedia page on Display resolution has some useful information, including statistics from **External links are only visible to Support Staff**Steam.
Old 27.09.2010, 14:49
remi

If I remember well, the webcams were only necessary for female jD customers, because nearly all important jD devs are male. I've a page where I can verify whether the devs are working hard or not.
Old 28.09.2010, 16:29
roflmywaffle

Quote:
If I remember well, the webcams were only necessary for female jD customers, because nearly all important jD devs are male.
Haha, but to complete the experience, there must also be a live chat, just so they know it's real and not fake. I'm sure it's not too hard to create a dedicated JD Chat channel just for this.
Old 29.09.2010, 14:09
remi

Cool

Yes, and motion detection would be a nice to have feature as well. The webcam is only shown when a developer is really working. A sleeping developer is not very interesting to watch.
Old 07.10.2010, 07:52
roflmywaffle

Haha, sounds like someone should get started on testing. :-D
Old 07.10.2010, 08:49
JD Legend

:outch: How do we say bloat JD?

Home Tabs!
:censored:
Old 07.10.2010, 13:20
omran

Just make a home tab ... Put ads in it and then get money for more(or the first's) full time developers to finish all the ToDo list
Old 10.10.2010, 06:35
roflmywaffle

omran has a point. I mean, the main tab will be closable, but at least with some ads, JD can make a few extra bucks. Good thinking!

Only let's make sure the ads are something acceptable; not ads for "Russian Mail Order Bride" or "Young Horny Girls in [Your Town] waiting for you!!". I've had enough of Zoosk and CupidSearch ads on Facebook.
Old 10.10.2010, 21:42
JD Legend

Again I don't want to have extra bloated software. If I do I usually run M$ products.

If JD does such please make it so it can be turned off as I also don't want extra processing cycles being wasted unless I so desire.

My 2 cents.
Old 11.10.2010, 03:46
JD English Support (inactive)

1) We cannot collect even the simplest information about use without explicit user permission. I estimate that less than 5% of JD users are forum members. Most non-members want to maintain anonymity.

2) There is already a Feature Request for an optional Addon to collect and report anonymous statistical information. Once the Logging system is fixed, we could also return crash information this way.

3) There is a feature request for a set-up page (runs a speed test, sets some parameters, checks antivirus and firewall settings, checks for the default browser, helps set the Style, and asks about premium accounts.

4) Any staff pictures could be in a thread in the forum. I am sure most of them will be wearing disguises.

5) The managers want to reduce the number of tabs to speed-up the program. This is why the Log tab is not shown by default. In the next release, the Settings tab might not be shown by default.

6) Web cams on developers are out of the question. These people are working from home and have families who could also appear in the video. Besides, have you ever tried to solve hard problems while people are watching (I have)?

7) JD already checks for updates each time you start.

8) The JD servers are already heavily loaded. Which of you will pay for the extra bandwidth?

Last edited by drbits; 11.10.2010 at 03:55.
Old 12.10.2010, 11:59
roflmywaffle

To offer a response/rebuttal for your points:

1) Fair enough.

2) That is definitely a good idea to allow crash feedback.

3) This is also a great idea.

4) I'll just say a picture is worth a thousand words.

5) This makes sense, hence why we offered it to be closable tab. But yeah, point made.

6) Everyone likes to be in the spotlight! :D

7) That's true.

8) Isn't that the point of Flattr? ;P
Old 13.10.2010, 07:59
JD English Support (inactive)

Maybe pictures and web cam should require payment? I think the going rate for web-cam sites is $2US/minute. Of course, people will pay more to watch naked women than developers (naked or not).

Watching Jiaz should be worth at least $0.02US/minute. Unfortunately, I think he has young children and they should not appear on web-cam or pictures (there are crazies and worse out there).
Old 14.10.2010, 16:20
roflmywaffle

Lets wait to see what Jiaz says about that.
Old 14.10.2010, 20:21
Community Manager

Jiaz just told me he has no kids but maybe watching him is still worth some money;)
We all bash jiaz when he isn't there but be prepared, once he is back he'll bash you:w00t::P

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 15.10.2010, 08:00
JD Legend

HAHA it might be reversed though and depending on Jiaz's mood one may catch him in an x-rated viewing .... lets say 3:am in underwear maybe while banging away at the keys .... Yikes!

Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 04.11.2010, 13:39
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by omran View Post
Just make a home tab ... Put ads in it and then get money for more(or the first's) full time developers to finish all the ToDo list
That's against jD's mission statement. jD wants to be a tool that bypasses all adds by automating downloading from OCHs.