JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 10.03.2017, 06:41
DSL Light User

Default Reduce JDownloader 2 CPU usage?

JDownloader 2 tends to use a large amount of my system resources. I'm not too worried about RAM usage, but I don't like how much of my CPU that it uses. When I check my Windows Task Manager, I can see that it often uses a large amount of CPU. I am now even worried that JDownloader is overheating my CPU.

I recently checked my CPU temperature while downloading some files with JDownloader, and it fluctuated between about 50 and 72 degrees Celcius, staying mostly in the 60s. (It's recommended that my CPU stay below 60 degrees the majority of the time, and not go over 70 degrees often). After stopping the JDownloader downloads, my CPU temperatures dropped significantly, staying mostly between 47 and 58 degrees, only occasionally going over 60.

Is there any way to make JDownloader use less CPU?
Old 10.03.2017, 08:13
Banned

https://board.jdownloader.org/showpo...42&postcount=2
Old 10.03.2017, 11:06
Black Hole

I had to turn off the overview panel on the download tab to make JD2 even usable after a couple hours of running. Jiaz also set my "General Settings: Max Download Link History Entries" setting (in the Advanced Settings) to Zero, since every time I had a link skip and get unskipped it was eating memory which resulted in caching and high CPU use. Lastly, whenever I leave it unattended I have to switch to the Settings tab before I minimize the window- that also reduces CPU use.

And, unfortunately, I still have to reset JD2 like clockwork every 24 hours or so to get the CPU usage back to something tolerable. For some reason, the longer it runs, the more it uses, and resetting JD2 (closing and reopening it) makes it work. My biggest issue when it uses high CPU is it is impossible to do anything in the GUI- scrolling becomes unwieldy, I can't drag/drop, and captcha windows get extremely laggy.
Old 10.03.2017, 13:13
Banned

Set to a higher value than the default 1000

Code:
GraphicalUserInterfaceSettings.downloadstablerefreshinterval
Old 10.03.2017, 14:11
JD Manager

With help of JVisualVM (part of Java JDK) we can hook into JDownloader and check what is causing the high cpu usage.

What OS? What CPU? How many max. Downloads? How many Links/Packages do you have in list? Please provide screenshot of the About dialog of JDownloader when CPU usage is high again.
Old 10.03.2017, 14:12
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechcott View Post
After stopping the JDownloader downloads, my CPU temperatures dropped significantly, staying mostly between 47 and 58 degrees, only occasionally going over 60.
I suggest to check CPU cooling. An idle system should NOT have such high cpu temperature!
Old 10.03.2017, 19:38
DSL Light User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmakinera View Post
I don't understand what that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrown View Post
I had to turn off the overview panel on the download tab to make JD2 even usable after a couple hours of running. Jiaz also set my "General Settings: Max Download Link History Entries" setting (in the Advanced Settings) to Zero, since every time I had a link skip and get unskipped it was eating memory which resulted in caching and high CPU use. Lastly, whenever I leave it unattended I have to switch to the Settings tab before I minimize the window- that also reduces CPU use.

And, unfortunately, I still have to reset JD2 like clockwork every 24 hours or so to get the CPU usage back to something tolerable. For some reason, the longer it runs, the more it uses, and resetting JD2 (closing and reopening it) makes it work. My biggest issue when it uses high CPU is it is impossible to do anything in the GUI- scrolling becomes unwieldy, I can't drag/drop, and captcha windows get extremely laggy.
That may be related to my issue. Also, at the time, I had a number of items set to force download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmakinera View Post
Set to a higher value than the default 1000

Code:
GraphicalUserInterfaceSettings.downloadstablerefreshinterval
What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
With help of JVisualVM (part of Java JDK) we can hook into JDownloader and check what is causing the high cpu usage.

What OS? What CPU? How many max. Downloads? How many Links/Packages do you have in list? Please provide screenshot of the About dialog of JDownloader when CPU usage is high again.
Windows 10 64-bit. AMD A4-5300B CPU. 2 maximum downloads, but I had it set to forced at the time, so it was downloading over that limit.

Regarding the screenshot, for some reason I can't get JDownloader to use a lot of CPU now, even on the forced download setting. In fact, its CPU usage now is positively tiny, my system's overall CPU usage is quite low, and my CPU temperatures are only in the 50s. It might be related to how long I leave it running.

Quote:
I suggest to check CPU cooling. An idle system should NOT have such high cpu temperature!
I think you may be right. Even without JDownloader running, even moderate CPU usage whenever I'm using other programs (especially Opera browser) seems to drive the temperatures up. Do you know of any way to determine whether a CPU is being adequately cooled?
Old 13.03.2017, 19:48
JD Manager

Thanks for the feedback. There might be a bug when using Force. It might end in endless retry loop = causing high CPU usage. When you encounter this again, would be nice if you can check if JDownloader does a fast *retry* of a download. Also important how many links/packages you have in list.

For example I have a silent cooled (no fan running) Intel CPU with 40-45 degree celsius.
Maybe the cooling grid is full of dust? tried to clean it?
Old 13.03.2017, 20:02
DSL Light User

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. There might be a bug when using Force. It might end in endless retry loop = causing high CPU usage. When you encounter this again, would be nice if you can check if JDownloader does a fast *retry* of a download. Also important how many links/packages you have in list.

For example I have a silent cooled (no fan running) Intel CPU with 40-45 degree celsius.
Maybe the cooling grid is full of dust? tried to clean it?
I don't believe there's any dust in the cooler. It appears clean. I just recently bought this computer (refurbished), and it appeared dust-free inside when I got it.

Now that I've started using JDownloader's normal download setting combined with a stop mark for large numbers of downloads and only use forced downloads for one or two downloads, it's using a lot less CPU power. In fact, it's mostly staying below 5%. I think the overusing the force download option was probably to blame for JDownloader's overuse of CPU. (I was often setting dozens of links to force download simultaneously. It only actually downloaded 4 or 5 at a time before moving on to the next ones, but it seems that it ate up a lot of CPU anyway.) I have thousands of links in my download list, as I tend to leave finished downloads in the list so that my linkgrabber can tell me if I've downloaded something before or not.

Regarding the general high temperature issue (which I still have), I've created a thread at the AMD forum here:

**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**
Old 13.03.2017, 20:12
JD Manager

Thanks for the feedback. Force may lead to tight loops causing high cpu usage. I will check this and fix if I can reproduce. Please report back in case you can reproduce the issue