JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 18.10.2010, 13:07
gazo

Default JDownloader update causes crash

Windows XP SP3

I have just updated JDownloader with the latest 2 available updates
While downloading everything stalls suddenly

Normally not a serious issue however, now all internet connection is broken and neither IE8 nor Outlook will establish a connection anymore. Not even after a restart

The only solution thusfar is to perform a system restore

What is wrong with JDownloader friends?

Last edited by gazo; 18.10.2010 at 13:18.
Old 18.10.2010, 14:08
remi

Start jD with "java -verbose -Xmx512m -jar jdownloader.jar -debug -brdebug 1>jdlog.txt 2>jderr.txt", wait for the crash, archive the two .txt files with 7zip and attach the archive to your post.
Old 19.10.2010, 14:53
gazo

I have included the reports as requested.

The download ran fine for a few minutes and then stalled again rendering all internet connections idle
No other option than a system restore

Please let me know what action to take
Attached Files
File Type: zip Report.zip (692.0 KB, 356 views)
Old 20.10.2010, 09:29
JD English Support (inactive)

1) This problem is usually in the Antivirus program. JDownloader cannot modify your other programs, because it only writes to programs in the JDownloader directory and your chosen download directory. It does not mess up the registry, because any registry entries it makes are well known and in a specific file. This is unlike MS Office programs that can put tens of thousands of items in the registry.

Please read General Discussion -> Self Help Index -> Choosing and installing security software.

If the antivirus program is trying to scan the data that is being downloaded, it is possible that the antivirus is locking-up.

2) Before changing your security software, save a restore point. After you have finished uninstalling your security software and installing it correctly (or using the recommended programs), save another restore point. Always restart your computer after uninstalling or installing an antivirus program, even if there is no message.

3) Let us know how things are going. If you have a problem, go back to message 2 of this thread and give us another report.
Old 20.10.2010, 12:25
remi

Cool

@gazo

If you aren't running any virus software (you didn't tell us - but drbits is right in suspecting it), I would recommend using the JRE update 20. First remove update 21.

On "**External links are only visible to Support Staff** you'll find an archive of all versions of the JRE.

Also consider re-installing your jD. You can copy the old \config dir in your jdownloader directory over the new one to retain your settings and links.

Also reduce the Max.Con. setting (bottom right corner of jD window) to 1.
Old 20.10.2010, 12:53
gazo

Thanks for contributing to a possible solution of my problem

I did not mention the Virus scanner I was using since I did not expect that to be the problem
In fact I have been using AVG Free edition (even recommended by yourselves!)
jDownloader had already been reinstalled with the existing config files

This morning I have uninstalled AVG Free 2011 and re downloaded a set of files amount to 5 Gb. To my surprise all went well!
I have since re-installed AVG Free 2011 and I am planning a further download to see what will happen this time

The peculiar behaviour only commenced after I had the last 2 updates installed while I have been using this constellation for over a year now downloading hundreds of Gb without a glitch.

I am enclosing another set of reports which were made during this succesfull download session

Could you please explain why the max conn setting should be reduced to 1?
I expect it to greatly reduce the download speed which is presently around 10 MB/sec using 20 connections
Attached Files
File Type: zip Jdownloader.zip (729.6 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by gazo; 20.10.2010 at 13:20.
Old 20.10.2010, 13:20
remi

I'm glad you solved it. Virus malware is the most important problem for Windoze.

Please, read "Optimizing your number of connections" and you'll probably understand the connections issue.
Old 20.10.2010, 13:34
gazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I'm glad you solved it. Virus malware is the most important problem for Windoze.

Please, read "Optimizing your number of connections" and you'll probably understand the connections issue.
I am afraid that sofar the solution was only the beginning
I'm planning another session to see the results of re-installing AVG and JRE 20
I'll report back with the results of course
Meanwhile JRE is updated to version 22!
Old 21.10.2010, 13:08

Setting Max.Con.=1 eliminates the "Chunkload" overhead. The Article that remi refers to tells you how to analyse your best Max.Con. based on the capacity of your connection.

Setting Max.Con. to a large value only speeds downloading if you are only downloading one file. It is never recommended to use Max.Con. > 5 (diminishing returns).

If you are downloading at 10MiBytes/second, that is equivalent to around 87.5Mibits/second. That is equivalent to just over two normal "Cable internet" connections. What is more common is 10Mibits/second.

Last edited by drbits; 21.10.2010 at 13:16.
Old 21.10.2010, 13:13
gazo

I have been seriously trying to understand the settings

I am regularly downloading large amaounts of files
My download speed with a 120 Mbs connection ranges from 12-15 MB/sec
I am very interested in the optimal settings you recommend for my situation
Old 23.10.2010, 11:07
gazo

I have undertaken some more downloads
The situation is now that I can download without any problem sofar provided that IE8 is not displaying a website with vBulletin Forum software!
Immediately when starting a download when IE8 is showing a vBulletin site, all internet connections are broken and cannot be restored without system restore.

I have in the past experienced multiple occasions where is was impossible to open tabs or other web pages when a page with vBulletin was displayed

I have changed the settings to Conn 5 and DL to 10
Average DL speed now 12.8 MB/sec

Last edited by gazo; 23.10.2010 at 11:11.
Old 23.10.2010, 13:34
remi

Did you ever try another browser? IE is a malware attractor and famous for being a collection of bugs and security holes.
Old 03.11.2010, 18:08
gazo

I have tried other browsers Chrome and Firefox
However since this phenomena occurred only after use of JDownloader from the beginning without ever causing any problem, I would be surprised if I suddenly would have to change browser as a solution to a problem that started after the installation of the latest 2 updates of the program

I have since modified the settings of connections and downloads to orecommended values and have not encountered another close down yet!
Old 04.11.2010, 02:37

Please reinstall AVG 2011, but use the Custom installation. Do not install the LinkScanner. This is probably what is causing your problem. Remember that AVG may be updating itself in the background.

LinkScanner/SafeSurf reads every byte the comes down your internet connection (which really slows the connection) and scans it for virus/malware signatures. It has been known to drop packets or even close connections.

Crashing on specific web sites or templates is a virus symptom. Please do a Whole Computer scan: Scan inside archives, Use Heuristics, Scan System Environment, and Enable Thorough Scanning (scans all files instead of just executables). Perform a Rootkit scan.

Please change to Firefox, Crome, or Opera. Add the WOT (Web Of Trust) addon. For Firefox, please use the NoScript addon (I do not know which of the others have it available).
Old 04.11.2010, 09:47
gazo

Thanks for the suggestion to disable LinkScanner
I will see what it brings and come back