JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Go Back   JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH > English Support > General Discussion

Old 29.09.2016, 11:52
Linkgrabbing Monster

Default Having issues, related to JDownloader?

Hi.

In the last week, two external USB 3.0 hard drives of 4TB have suddenly stopped working.

Hard drives are SEAGATE Brand: One Expansion portable drive model and the other model Backup plus.

At the time of stop working, both were saving music that was downloaded from JD, leaving the computer blocked.

When i start the notebook with someone of the two externals drives damaged plugged, the system stay in the main logo window "MSI" stopped (without starts).

Both have the same symptoms: connect to the computer, the browser window file/folder appears, but I can not see the content of these folders, leaving blocked any operation you want to do with the USB HDD: chkdsk, System Tools on the HDD, SeaTools for windows, HDD regenerator 2011 ...

I have contacted the support service and Seagate have told me that the failure is most likely due to malware that could be installed along with JD, or one to come along with any download.

I answered them that JD is virus-free:

http://jdownloader.org/es/knowledge/wiki/faq

They insist that the explanations I have given them and the symptoms the failure is logical and not physical, it almost certainly is due to a virus.

Please, I'm desperate... I could lost almost 8TB data.

Has it happened to anyone else something similar?.

Anyone has become infected USB external hard drive so that it leave it locked, can display the contents but can not access any element?

Thank you. A greeting.
Old 29.09.2016, 11:56
JD Manager

JDownloader installer contains optional adware/bundleware. No trojan/virus. You can either decline the installation of them during installation or use the adware free installer from http://jdownloader.org/jdownloader2
Old 29.09.2016, 11:57
JD Manager

In doubt I would suggest to boot from linux usb stick , attach your drive and check its content.
Also check firewall/av and permissions setup
Old 29.09.2016, 11:57
JD Manager

If you want I can also take a look via Teamviewer, just send me ID and PW to support@jdownloader.org
Old 29.09.2016, 12:22
Linkgrabbing Monster

Thanks, as always, for your quick response and attention.

I believe you know my issue with the first hard disk.

At this very moment, the software Seagate Recovery "SeaTools" is working by examining the unit (It will take time almost 2 days).

I greatly appreciate your willingness to help. As soon as it finish checking the hard drive, if it continues failed, I'll contact you and we will try.

However, keep in mind, please, that while I have connected the hard disk, I can not start the computer with installed SO, or any boot media with: linux, hdd regenerator ...

Regards
Old 29.09.2016, 12:28
JD Manager

Why can't you start another OS from disk/usb drive with this disk attached?
Old 29.09.2016, 17:13
Linkgrabbing Monster

I don´t know. But it is like this. Maybe I not quite understand your question, but don´t know what to answer. Just that until I disconnect the USB external hard drive will not start anything.

I tested with a bootable CD introduced with hdd regenerator 2011, but does not read until I disconnect hdd.
Old 29.09.2016, 17:32
JD Manager

First boot of cd and when os is booted up, then attach the disk
When you attach usb and then try to boot up it may not boot because of boot order in bios. Maybe computer tries to boot from usb
Old 29.09.2016, 17:54
Linkgrabbing Monster

Ok.

Sorry, i understand the boot order, but thougt that if my legacy bios doesn´t recognize it on start, if i attach hdd after boot-cd run, in my case hdd regenerator, will not recognize it.

When SeaTools finish (now 60%. I think will take about 10 hours more). I'll try, if no success i will try with a dvd/usb bootable with a linux distribution.

Do you recommend any particular distribution, or Ubuntu Desktop Edition with graphical interface could be enough?

Last edited by djinet; 29.09.2016 at 17:57.
Old 30.09.2016, 10:00
JD Manager

I don't recommend any distribution.
But ubuntu is okay (Im using it myself since many many hears)
I suggest to boot up the linux
then attach the usb drive and then check if it works
you can open a terminal and enter dmesg
and check if there are any errors
Old 01.05.2017, 20:43
Linkgrabbing Monster

Default Third external hard drive damaged

Hi.

Could you please examine my logs for the last three days, specifically where it shows the disconnection errors of the 4Gb USB external hard drive?

It's the third time that it happens to me when downloading with jDownloader. Have been damaged 3 external hard disks (broken). The hard drives all have the same symptoms: they connect to the computer, after a few seconds the file browsing window appears, but it is locked, preventing the operation on any file or folder, even on the hard disk. I can not extract it, it stays hooked. Sometimes, when I connect it, it simply sounds the connection sound, then the disconnect sound and does not show anything. I'm sure it's not a virus. The computer does not boot with the hard disk connected; Therefore, I can not use any data rescue application, etc.

Could it have anything to see with the process of saving the file and/or decompression of others at the same time on the hard drive, overloading it with an excessive flow of data writing or something similar?

Thanks in advance. A greeting.

Here are the logs:

01.05.17 13.18.28 <--> 29.04.17 13.36.58 jdlog://4604289150841/

Last edited by djinet; 01.05.2017 at 20:47.
Old 02.05.2017, 17:27
JD Manager

What device is it? Can you provide exact hardware description? Maybe there are known issues with it.
How old are those drives? Because 4GB is very small for current hardware/external storage sizes.

You could try to boot from Linux Live Distro and check if it can access the usb drive or check kernel log for any information about hardware failure.

Warmth may cause issues but that would require either very bad hardware or very high write throughput over very long time.
Old 05.05.2017, 13:25
Linkgrabbing Monster

Thanks for your answer Jiaz.

It has happened to me with 3 hard disks, all of the same brand: Seagate, although 2 of them were of the "expansion" model and the other "backup plus".

There is no possibility of starting the computer with the hard disk connected. It is blocked and prevents the start of a live distro linux.

I am now trying with Western Digital external usb hard disk 4Tb.
Old 05.05.2017, 14:37
JD Manager

You could try to open up such a device and use an external usb-sata adapter(in case there is no more warranty)
Maybe just the adapter died.
Not being able to boot with such device attached can also be sign of some usb issues.
Old 06.05.2017, 20:23
Linkgrabbing Monster

Hi Jiaz, thank you for your kindness in responding, on issues that might not be within your competence.

I have tried everything with 3 hard disks damaged. I have removed them from their external shell and inserted into another one, so problem with the usb is not.

I have also connected them to other equipment and give the same symptoms and failures.

The thing is that if I start the Seagate utility: Seatools (**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**), and I look for the coincidence that it is scanning the device while I connect it ( This happens only on 5% of the occasions), if it hooks with the long repair utility, while the long time it takes the procedure, the hard disk is activated and I can access the files (very curious). It's the only solution I have left to get a backup.

At the moment, as I said, I am testing with an external hard drive, also 4TB from another brand Western Digital, to see if there is the problem, but I'm spending a lot of money in units (Which have been sent to the technical service of Seagate and returned me a similar units repaired and recertified, but have been broken again with the same procedure, downloading with jDownloader, and presenting the same symptoms once inoperative), excessive, 160 € cost, units of these characteristics , So I imagine you understand the payout i would have to make for a higher capacity hard drive, if you consider 4TB today to be obsolete.

Thanks again. A greeting.
Old 08.05.2017, 12:32
JD Manager

Nothing to thank me for. I only try to provide help and ideas to find the cause of this hardware issue.
Did you check that maybe the usb port does not provide enough power to startup the device? did you try an usb hub ? Did you try the usb devices on different computer/laptop?
Old 08.05.2017, 19:54
Linkgrabbing Monster

Yes, unfortunately, I have tried everything.

I sent the laptop to be repaired by MSI technical service, when the second time occurs, explaining that have been broken 2 usb external hard discs. They changed the womanboard.

And yes, like i explained in previous post, i tried also to connect to another computers, with the same issue.

I also bought a hub, with external power, for not to connect directly to the usb port of the laptop.

But nothing, the same thing, few days ago, happened again.

Thank you.

Last edited by djinet; 08.05.2017 at 19:57.
Old 09.05.2017, 08:47
JD Manager

I'm sorry but I'm out of ideas. I can only think of bad hardware or some usb issues that's killing usb devices.
I wonder that you are still able to access the drives (somehow). In case they are *dead* then they would be lost and not magically rescued by waiting long enough. That's why I think some issue with usb ports.