JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 26.03.2015, 05:51
Llamatron

Lightbulb Pending Downloads category doesn't include "captcha recognition" state

I've just started making use of the state filter to the right of the search bar (bottom of the GUI). Links in the "Captcha recognition" state don't appear in the "Pending Downloads" state, which I think is weird.

oh, I see they do appear in "running downloads". IMO it would be less confusing if captcha recog matched both running and pending filters. I agree it's potentially nice to see links appear when they how up for catchas, if you have the filter set to "running".

I still don't think it's nice to have them disappear from pending until they actually start. Maybe I'm missing a use-case, like ctrl-a -> disable or skip, and you wouldn't want the link that was currently up for catcha to get disabled/skipped.

Maybe the best thing would be to have a "pending and incomplete" on the dropdown menu. So I'd see pending and still-running downloads, but not all the already-downloaded-and-succesfully-extracted links I keep around for duplicate-detection.
Old 26.03.2015, 07:18
JD Manager

Old 26.03.2015, 08:29
Llamatron

From the title on that ticket, you left out my idea of having a "pending and incomplete" option. I think I'd like to be able to see running downloads along with captcha-ing and pending, and exclude fully-completed downloads. This would keep things manageable when a lot of completed links are still kept around in the download pane for whatever reason.

That's kind of a separate thing, so IDK if you missed it or you just thought it wasn't something you wanted to implement.
Old 26.03.2015, 09:50
Llamatron

another corner case: rapidgator has a 3min wait-time before the captcha is solvable. The link is currently counted as "running", and not "pending" during this wait, even though the icon used is still the "pending" stopwatch.

So probably the short captcha-wait times should show up in both running and pending, along with the captcha-recognize state.
Old 26.03.2015, 13:07
English Supporter

Pending vs. Waiting
_**External links are only visible to Support Staff**
Old 26.03.2015, 13:47
JD Manager

I can add many stats. As you use this feature, I ask you to suggest some ideal stats you want to use this feature with
Then I will update ticket, okay?
Old 26.03.2015, 16:36
Llamatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
I can add many stats. As you use this feature, I ask you to suggest some ideal stats you want to use this feature with
Then I will update ticket, okay?
Ya for sure. It probably makes sense to make a note of all the things I run into wanting to be able to do, instead of implementing while still thinking of ideas. The code and the GUI could end up messy that way. Maybe you'll see a cleaner design than just added every one of my ideas to the menu.

I already thought of another thing I'd like to be able to see: Currently running and next-queued links. That should be one link per hoster that has non-finished download links, regardless of whether we're downloading from a hoster, waiting, or doing something with a captcha. This is useful to answer the question "what's going to happen next?"

This is useful for:
  • Making sure the next queued link is one you're still interested in
  • Just knowing when the next captcha is expected for various reasons
  • Going out or to sleep soon, want to make sure the next-queued item for each hoster is large so it keeps that hoster busy while I'm not able to solve captchas.
  • Trying to align downloads from multiple hosters so you can restart JD2 or your whole computer without leaving a hoster idle for longer than needed.
  • Seeing if you've completed all the links from a given hoster, in which case you might want to go out and find some more links to files on that hoster.

If all four hosters currently have a download running, then great, I can just show running downloads. But if I want to know "how long until the next captcha", I need to flip back to "all" or "pending" and scroll around looking for the top priority link. Maybe I'm missing an easier way to find this, but I doubt there's one that also shows the currently running downloads at the same time.
Old 26.03.2015, 16:53
Llamatron

A decent fraction of the time I spend poking at JD2 is to queue things up so I can start a large file right before going to sleep. Sometimes this means finding a particularly small file to queue up next on that hoster, to have time for it to finish and be ready to start a new one before a certain time.

IDK how exactly JD2 could make that task easier. A sort-by-size across packages would be useful, though. I can already use the search -> hoster feature to filter links to just one hoster, but I have to dig through all the packages.

This is a pretty crazy idea, but what about having another primary tab (alongside Downloads and Linkgrabber) where you could get a not-by-package view of your download links? And maybe another tab for a by-hoster view? Either that or a menu choice for different ways to present the links in the Downloads tab. (Views that don't group by package could have packages as a column).

Another thing I've often found myself wanting to do is move links between packages while the view is filtered by a search. (or less often, re-order within a package). Implementing my search wishlist issue would go a long way towards making this less needed, but it would still be nice. . Obviously the challenge is to define where exactly in the un-filtered list moved links will go. Unless the code behind the GUI makes it hard to implement, I think just putting drag-n-dropped links immediately after the displayed link they were dragged under should do the trick. (Or at the head of the package, if dragged above any other displayed link). The other obvious choice would be to base the position on the link below the drag-n-drop position, and put the moved links before that. (Then the special-case is at the end of the package, when there is no link to put them before.)

What do you think of this idea? Too much shoot-yourself-in-the-foot potential if you select links based on a search that finds some but not all links in a multi-part set? (e.g. when searching by comment, or filtering on pending downloads if one part was already complete?)

I put this in a separate post so it could get split to a new thread, even though the first couple paragraphs are more like part of my last post.

Would you rather I start new threads for each wishlist feature request? Because I have more: e.g. better keyboard navigation within a package. (left arrow selects the parent package for the selected link, I forget if I had other keyboard nav ideas that I can't remember ATM.)
Old 26.03.2015, 18:44
JD Manager

Please tell me what states you would like to filter on and what they should show.
Eg.
running -> show all downloads that are active/downloading
pending -> show all downloads that are active but are waiting for timeout/captcha/password

A filter for next-queued Links is not that easy. For one thing I only calculate the next link when I have to, to save memory/cpu. Finding next candidate is very complex thing and also changes all the time (priorities, positino in link, server issues, waiting times, connection issues, account limits, free limits, captchas, aborted captchas, and so on and on).
It also makes no sense to just show 1 link per hoster when the next x downloads will happen from same hoster

Sorting by size will also not help much. For many free hosters there are the same limitations after a download independant from filesize.So it will not be faster in the end when you download the small files first. This really depends if you can use the small files on their own or are they part of a bigger archive...

Moving on a filtered view...Okay..HOW The link will not land where you move it to/drop it on, because there can be many other links before that link when you turn off filter again On a filtered view there is no absolute position in list and so the big question is...where to move it to? Move a link from a Package ONTO a package so it gets insert at begin/end..yes, but drop after another link.....
it will only be possible to move relative to other links.
Again: nothing that is impossible -> but something that needs to be thought through else noone knows how it will work at the end. Relative Move would be easy to do!

Yes, please start new Threads for each feature. makes it easier for discussion and ticket creation

About your Idea with Hoster Table.
What exactly would you use it for? No packages at all? only list of links and all information in columns?
Old 26.03.2015, 19:22
Llamatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Please tell me what states you would like to filter on and what they should show.
Eg.
running -> show all downloads that are active/downloading
pending -> show all downloads that are active but are waiting for timeout/captcha/password
haha, ok yeah I'll round up all my related ideas for this into one place in a bit, so you don't have to dig through all my posts in this thread to find them

Quote:
A filter for next-queued Links is not that easy. For one thing I only calculate the next link when I have to, to save memory/cpu. Finding next candidate is very complex thing and also changes all the time (priorities, positino in link, server issues, waiting times, connection issues, account limits, free limits, captchas, aborted captchas, and so on and on).
The GUI already does that to figure out which link should show the wait-time countdown for that hoster. I want a way to have links that have running timers displayed along with running downloads.

Quote:
It also makes no sense to just show 1 link per hoster when the next x downloads will happen from same hoster
If I just want to see the state of my interaction with all the hosters I have links for, I only want to see the current link for each hoster, whether it's running or waiting. This is true even if one of the hosters will complete multiple files before the current download from another hoster finishes.

That is an interesting point, though. I didn't think of it because it would be a lot harder to implement, but it could be useful to have a "everything that will happen in the next x hours" view (assuming prompt captcha solves and no unexpected changes in download speeds or wait times), with a slider for the time window.

Quote:
Sorting by size will also not help much. For many free hosters there are the same limitations after a download independant from filesize.So it will not be faster in the end when you download the small files first.
If there are gaps in when I'm around to solve captchas, utilization is maximized if this time is spent downloading a large file, instead of stalled on a captcha.

Quote:
Moving on a filtered view...Okay..HOW The link will not land where you move it to/drop it on, because there can be many other links before that link when you turn off filter again On a filtered view there is no absolute position in list and so the big question is...where to move it to?
I already described my idea for that. summary: in the absolute position immediately after the displayed link you dropped it under. Pick either the previous or next displayed-link, and drop into the absolute position after/before it.

There might be corner cases when moving multiple links, e.g. maybe if the destination position is between the first and last source link. Or if it IS one of the source links.

I agree, this needs some thought to make it as easy as possible to understand where your links will be in the absolute unfiltered view.

A search (find, rather than filter) would be helpful, esp. while testing a feature like this where bugs could send your links somewhere unexpected. Or again, my wishlist ticket for search to not lose your place when leaving search would help here.

Quote:
Move a link from a Package ONTO a package so it gets insert at begin/end..yes
You mean doable, not that it's already implemented, right? Because it's not working for me.

Quote:
Yes, please start new Threads for each feature. makes it easier for discussion and ticket creation

About your Idea with Hoster Table.
What exactly would you use it for? No packages at all? only list of links and all information in columns?
I'll post new threads later today; need to do something else while it's still daytime here.

Last edited by Llamatron; 26.03.2015 at 19:28. Reason: reply to the "no sense to just show 1 link per hoster" part.