JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 26.06.2016, 06:52
phil_ga

Default Download speed varies like crazy

Proud donator here. Love this program.

But, JD DL speeds have been crazy the last month or more. Good for the last two weeks, then crazy again today.

Firstly: For me 'crazy' means that I use multiple hosters but mostly UL.to and for years I have been getting a constant max of 6 MB/s, day-in, day-out. Now it varies from 6 down to 0.2, to 0.05 MB/s. EVERY time I stop the current downloads and restart them in JD, the speed jumps back to the 5 to 6 range, but only for while..
For me 'good' means I get 3-6 Mb/s, varying constantly.
But "excellent' means I used to get 5.8-6.1, constantly, 24/7.
(8 chunks/download, max of 12 simultaneous, max of 4 per hoster. Problem is identical with 1 chunk, and with only 1 hoster)

Secondly: I have a 100 Mb/s direct cable connection. At no point has it been down or stopped. Every time I check Ookla speed test I get ~100 Mb/s speed down and 1-2 up. This is what I paid the cable company for. Ookla test is approx. the same results WHILE JD is slow and while JD is acting normal. I simply cannot correlate this problem with my internet connection stability. The cable company came out, inspected, tested, said I was crazy, its not them, but replaced the connection box at my house because it looked a little aging (5 yrs). After that, I have had 'good' but not 'excellent' results most of the time. When JD fluctuates, our home network is fine, browsers all ok, no-one else here has problems (no other JD users). Only JD and me.

Today it is mostly 'crazy' again. Stable for a while, then drops very low and will stay there until I do the stop/start DL think with JD.

I am out of ideas. Its not the cable as far as I can tell. It does not make sense JD would do this (no others complained??). Is there something in my router that cripples it? Overloads JD? Any suggestions would be welcome. Because I am now stumped.

Logs
25.06.16 08.55.44 <--> 24.06.16 14.59.58 jdlog://3060135891641/
Old 26.06.2016, 13:48
JD Manager

Sounds like unstable internet connection or hardware/connection issues.
Speedtest has NOTHING to do with download speed you can expect from filesharing server!

Where do you download from? What host? Free or premium? What firewall/av?
LAN or WLAN connection? Did you test the exact same file in browser?
Old 26.06.2016, 15:03
phil_ga

Thanks.
Main problem is with Uploaded. The main one I use. Premium. As you can guess they are not big on responding to queries - I am still waiting from last month!
Firewall is windows and avast. Same issue when they are both turned off for a few hours - unchanged problem. LAN is hardwired full to this PC, the rest of the house is wireless.
I will check some of the same files in browser tomorrow morning... but I cant monitor the speed so easily there as in JD.
I am guessing an Uploaded.net issue or unstable hardware. Ive changed connection and cat5 cables already this month. I am also guessing fro your response that no other JD users are reporting similar.
Old 26.06.2016, 15:29
English Supporter

My first thoughts are....

after a bit of investigation and thought, Phil is on Optus cable (an Australian telco provider). Optus cable is heavily over over subscribed service, you must also remember that cable is a shared medium with people on your ring. He is also accessing from Australia to -> European file servers (if I recall all uploaded servers are Euroland), so it could be a routing issue.

I would take speed tests with grain of salt, its common knowledge in Australia and other places around the world ISP give highest QoS rules to those test servers so that the ISP ranking is influenced. Best bet is to do independent speed test to similar region as uploaded.to fileservers (do https/ftps connection so that you do not trigger ISP caches either). Do it with similar connections also!

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 27.06.2016, 13:22
JD Manager

Please use the taskmanager of windows (network graph) to monitor speed of download in browser
Old 29.06.2016, 09:50
phil_ga

Thanks for all the suggestions. Not resolved. Likely not a JD2 issue. I will look for a network monitor program, and monitor for a while to see if I can find the source. Taskmanager shows network in percent. What does percent mean? Does not seem useful. Any suggestions for a network activity monitor/recorder program?
Raztoki is correct, but I imagined that's why I get 6 MB/s from uploaded, while I have a 50 mB/s cable. I guess the stability issue is some new subscribers on 'my' cable, which the company denies, or instability at the uploaded.net end.
Right now its consistently fast again the last 2 3 days, but not full speed...
Old 29.06.2016, 10:09
JD Manager

50Mbit/s = 6.25 Mbyte/s (max, normally is it around 5-6), so all fine with that speed.
Old 29.06.2016, 10:10
JD Manager

The network graph should not provide absolute numbers. it is more a *how steady* the speed is. Because browser tend to *average* a lot and speeds with up/downs easily look like good speed in browser while it is not in reality
Old 29.06.2016, 10:19
phil_ga

I am now trying GlassWire. Looks good so far. I'll see if it can monitor individual programs and connections for a few days. It shows in MB/s units, so its easy to follow, on a program by program basis...
Old 29.06.2016, 10:46
JD Manager

Okay, thanks for the feedback!
Old 02.07.2016, 05:02
phil_ga

Its now been stable for days.
I can only assume it was an issue at uploaded.net.
GlassWire is brilliant to follow network activity!

Perhaps close this topic?
Old 02.07.2016, 05:07
English Supporter

No worries

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 04.07.2016, 11:08
JD Manager

Thanks for the feedback!