JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 17.11.2010, 23:15
mcp000

Default prefered routers / recommendations

which router would you guys recommend for jdownloader-usage?
which one is the most uncomplicated, the most recommended one?
which routers are YOU using?
which ones are best for a fast reconnect and for as less problems with reconnect as possible?

thx in advance for any recommendation

just bought a netgear wgr 614 v10 and already regretting it badly cuz it blows , also had a d-link 604 for pretty long time but not possible anymore as it seems, troubles with provider-hardware (?!?!?)

(using win xp sp 3 , adsl modem and 16 mb connection)
Old 18.11.2010, 06:48
fma16

Personnaly, I use my ISP router; I didn't need more
Old 18.11.2010, 09:21
remi

Cool

Please, read "Getting started with Reconnection".

Search the Reconnect forum and you'll find other reconnect scripts for the routers that are sold in your area or that you can easily buy on the web.
Old 18.11.2010, 09:23
JD English Support (inactive)

If you only have one computer connected to the internet, you do not need a router. You only need a modem. The only extra advantage of a router is that it provides an external firewall (so you do not need a software firewall).

Your ISP should support at least one connection standard (PPPOA, PPPOE, PPP, DHCP, or a static IP). For technical reasons, straight DHCP is the best. These will not change regardless of whether you use a router. Find out from your ISP what modem standard(s) they support and which connection standard(s) they support. Buy an inexpensive modem that is supported. If you do not need it to contain a firewall or multiple computer routing, then it is a lot cheaper and usually faster.

The connection standards are software. For those of us with routers, the connection standard runs on the router and we usually have PPPOE login to the Router. If you only have a modem, the lowest levels of communication are handled on the modem and your connection is in software.
---------------------------------
If you decide to get a router, do not get a router with wireless capabilities unless you need to connect a wireless computer. Not only is this less expensive, but it is much more secure. In addition, the set-up and reconnection for a wireless router is more complicated.

Use a router or modem that the support people at your ISP are familiar with (in the US, the telephone and cable companies each only usually know how to support one model).
Old 18.11.2010, 14:05
mcp000

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
Please, read "Getting started with Reconnection".

Search the Reconnect forum and you'll find other reconnect scripts for the routers that are sold in your area or that you can easily buy on the web.

yeah very helpful lol thx a lot. like if i havent done that. believe it or not, BUT IM ABLE TO READ ffs. i DID manage to make me a script for my new router cuz none of the forum ones worked for me (funny thing is there are only 2 scripts in here for it). and my script worked / works but only until i start to download, then suddenly my router decides to not let jd reconnect him anymore...

http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=22298

Last edited by mcp000; 18.11.2010 at 14:12.
Old 18.11.2010, 14:10
mcp000

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
If you only have one computer connected to the internet, you do not need a router. You only need a modem. The only extra advantage of a router is that it provides an external firewall (so you do not need a software firewall).

Your ISP should support at least one connection standard (PPPOA, PPPOE, PPP, DHCP, or a static IP). For technical reasons, straight DHCP is the best. These will not change regardless of whether you use a router. Find out from your ISP what modem standard(s) they support and which connection standard(s) they support. Buy an inexpensive modem that is supported. If you do not need it to contain a firewall or multiple computer routing, then it is a lot cheaper and usually faster.

The connection standards are software. For those of us with routers, the connection standard runs on the router and we usually have PPPOE login to the Router. If you only have a modem, the lowest levels of communication are handled on the modem and your connection is in software.
---------------------------------
If you decide to get a router, do not get a router with wireless capabilities unless you need to connect a wireless computer. Not only is this less expensive, but it is much more secure. In addition, the set-up and reconnection for a wireless router is more complicated.

Use a router or modem that the support people at your ISP are familiar with (in the US, the telephone and cable companies each only usually know how to support one model).
well thx for the time u invested into that post. but i know all that -.-
im battling with my network since 2 weeks now in about 5 forums... even without wanting it, i somehow got a very detailed view now into how routers, networks and all that crap work -.-
and my provider doesnt let me any other choice than to going with modem and router for only one computer (i tried it ALL) ye...
w/e
im only asking for the routers the ppl in here are using to get a hint for the new one i will buy. if you dont tell me your router or dont wanna tell or w/e just dont bother to reply here

regards
Old 18.11.2010, 14:27
remi

If you're asking for advice it's not very polite to tell people you already know evrything. How would we know what you already know?

My second advice is to just buy a router/modem in a local shop and try it. First inform yourself about the shop's return policy.

( I guess you already knew this as well )
Old 18.11.2010, 19:25
mcp000

i think it wasnt very polite from YOU to just boom this standard-reply -.-

not everybody who is new here is a person who doesnt read stickys neither uses search function or tries as much as possible on his own before he asks something here.

in my case i found out many things here on my own, cuz its just best way to do it in my eyes. and in the end i found myself left with only one question: the one i wanted to ask here ^^ which are the most common routers here. which ones make the less problems.
i know now that my router was a bad choice, cuz jd is not able to support every single model and every single router that is built and sold on the world. so i gave up the plan to wait and try and try and hope for making my netgear run properly, cuz many many ppl are not able to do so. thats obvious in all the other forums i tried to find out whats wrong and why my script is failing so hardly.

so b2t i think the essence of my problem is the choice of the router ima buy now, cuz i need it only for jd and for nothing else.

and yes i was in the shop today where i baught it and made me notes abt all the other models that are sold there to compare them with the forums , the expiriences in there and the script - list of jd to return mine and test some others.

so yes ! i knew already what your second very useful post tries to tell me ^^

(btw sarcasm goes hand in hand with arrogance... did u know? ^^)

peace out
Old 19.11.2010, 10:15
JD English Support (inactive)

Please forgive me if I am confused. If you have a separate modem, then just use the modem. Tell your OS that you have a network with the correct login (for your ISP) and communication standard of the modem. You should be able to use IPCONFIG to change your IP address
Code:
ipconfig /release, 
something to delay a few seconds {try Ping or sleep from the resource kit}, 
ipconfig /renew
The modem should convert the ADSL and possibly ATM to Ethernet. The OS takes the Ethernet (or even ATM) and converts it to IP, TCP, and so on.

To force a logon, you might have to tell windows that it is a dialup or other kind of connection (it is not a direct internet connection or LAN without login and you don't have a domain server).

If you connect the modem to the computer via a hub, then turning off the computer should not drop your internet connection (a little trick I accidentally discovered).
Old 20.11.2010, 11:37
remi

Cool

@mcp000

I like such superior and utterly perfect people like you. You know so much and you wrote that you conducted some research on this site that I'm just amazed that you didn't know what drbits is telling you. I also wrote something similar (but much easier to understand) in a recent post. See http://board.jdownloader.org/showpos...92&postcount=2
I'm amazed that a genius like you didn't know such a simple fact.