JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 29.03.2010, 03:05
Dhar

Exclamation captcha sound alert [international]

Hi,:) I wish there was an option to set a sound alert whenever the captcha has to be manually entered by the user.

Well, in case the user is not in front of the monitor a sound alert will be really helpful, as it is not possible to constantly monitor the downloads.

I regularly face this problem..:helpsmilie:
So, I am really looking forward to find sound alerts option in JDownloader.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jiaz; 29.03.2010 at 12:52.
Old 29.03.2010, 03:07
Community Manager

This will be possible with the eventmanager once it's back (boardsearch).

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 29.03.2010, 12:14
remi

You can also use an older version of jD because older versions (I'm sure of 0.4) had a sound theme.

Note that these older versions no longer support all the hosts.
Old 29.03.2010, 22:37
JD English Support (inactive)

Please do not use such old versions. We will not be able to supply support.

If you are using Windows (2K or newer), there is a way to set a sound on every pop-up window. Just look at your sound settings in Control Panel.
Old 30.03.2010, 13:21
remi

I can still give support for jD 0.4. if necessary. It works fine, it's cute, I haven't found any bugs in it, and it has several useful features that are missing in jD 0.9. I'm using it every day.

In the hypothetical case that you would find a bug in that version, the policy of the current jD Team is that it won't be corrected.
Old 01.04.2010, 01:13
roflmywaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
it has several useful features that are missing in jD 0.9.
Just to interject, but what features were in 0.4 that are now removed in 0.9?
And how come they were removed?
Old 01.04.2010, 08:47

The entire program was restructured. The user interface is very different (There was no linkgrabber, it was part of the download list).

I know the Event Manager was replaced by the Scheduler plugin, but the Event Manager is still needed (the Scheduler should just create events).

I don't know what else is missing.

Some things worked better in 0.4, but most will be fixed in the April release.
Old 01.04.2010, 11:28
JD Manager

Eventmanager will come back once we have time for it and the needed changes in jd are done.
Old 01.04.2010, 13:19
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflmywaffle View Post
Just to interject, but what features were in 0.4 that are now removed in 0.9?
And how come they were removed?
jD 0.4 has several features that disappeared in later versions :-

- an identifiable JDownloader process/image name (firewall/virus problems started with the 'anonymous' java(w) processes; I never found out the reasons why this was changed);

- event manager (this functionality would solve many of the problems, suggestions and requirements posted in this board; I never found out the reasons why this very important functionality was removed);

- colour scheme that indicates statuses of links and packages (was replaced by an icon that disappears when the window is too small);

- when you click on a package at the bottom of the queue, the package contents are displayed (in later versions you need to scroll down);

- possibility to add non-working links to the download queue for later retrying (in current version you can do that by not checking the links, but that's cumbersome because you need to find and reset that setting first);

- when deleting links and/or packages, you get a confirmation dialogue mentioning the number of links AND packages;

- sound theme (I don't need it);

- some other download settings;

- etc.

In the board's archive you'll find many threads about the transition from 0.4. to 0.5. It has been the most busy period on this board and attracted many new 'surprised' and 'shocked' members. This transition was the main reason why I became a regular contributor of this board as I was one of them.

I was astonished that so much functionality and usability was sacrificed for no particular reason. If the reason would have been 'restructuring' or refactoring of the code then this should have enhanced the possibilities of these functions. Instead of enhancing them they were totally removed.

Gradually and slowly however, jD 0.4's functionality and usability came back, but as you can see, after one year the work still isn't finished.

Note that jD 0.9 has much more functionality and supports many more host plug-ins than jD 0.4., but I don't necessarily need all those new functions. That's one of the reasons why I use Notepad++ and not Open Office for typing texts.

My conclusion and suggestion is that jD should have developed 2 versions, one small and cute version that would simply download files from the most important hosts (I don't need any of the current add-ons and most of the host plug-ins) and one bloated version with all the whistles and bells (current version?) for those who have lots of RAM memory and CPU power. I think it's still possible if jD's architecture allows it of course.
Old 02.04.2010, 13:08
Robert22

Default No sound notifications availbale

Hello

I'm not sure - but am I right, that there is no sound beep option available, when captcha popup window appears? If so, please move thread to forum wishes section.

Often I just miss entering captcha, even when sitting at computer but not looking at screen.

Thanks!
Old 02.04.2010, 13:16
remi

Last edited by remi; 04.04.2010 at 12:03. Reason: became redundant after the merge
Old 02.04.2010, 21:07
roflmywaffle

Most interesting.
Old 02.04.2010, 21:54
Community Manager

Merged Sound Notification threads!

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 03.04.2010, 18:19
Robert22

Hello

In meantime I have missed many many captchas but no problem - just to provide feedback -

I have checked Control Panel sound options, did I missed the correct one or no one doesn't react on XP notification area pop ups, whatever.
Do you have any more information, how these pop ups might be named?

Thanks!
Old 03.04.2010, 20:56

No. You just want a sound associated with any window open. It is part of the Windows set.

One of the improvements coming later this month is that missed Captchas will not be considered an error, just Temporarily Unavailable. So, if you miss on, you won't have to enable or resume it. This should take some of the pressure off.

Suggestion:
Get plenty of Rapidshare, MediaFire, MegaUpload, and other links that JD does not usually ask for a Captcha. Save those for when you are not at the desk.

You could disable sharingmatrix and hotfile when you are not present, but that means going to Settings - Plugins and Addons - Hosts and unchecking the right hand checkbox for those hosts. This is probably not worthwhile. This will be less of a problem soon.

If you are doing something else, JD is very insistent about the Captcha responses. It puts the Window on-top of on-top, so it will always pop-up. Unfortunately, for me, it even does this when a movie is playing full-screen.
------------------------

In Settings - Basic - User Interface - General - Feel, I set "Timeout for input windows" to 300 (5 minutes).

In Settings - Modules - Anticaptcha, I set "Countdown for Captcha windows" to 120 (2 minutes, You could use 5 minutes).

Extending the time for responding to prompts may help you when you are present. but your mind is on something else (you are present, but your mind is not? ).
------------------------------
I added a Bugtracker ticket note to provide Zzz mode for sounds when system is not occupied. Added a bug about full screen mode.

Last edited by drbits; 03.04.2010 at 21:46.
Old 16.05.2010, 17:58
JD Fan

Default Sound and Countdown

I like the alerting by sound but I'd also like to see the countdown be able to be set to unlimited so the captcha remains until I can get to it whether that's 8 hours or 5 minutes. For me the only time it appears is on the double capthcas so there's no point in continuing to the next download because it will error too until all for that server have gone into an error status.

Last edited by cityguy; 16.05.2010 at 18:01. Reason: changed email notificiation
Old 17.05.2010, 13:47
remi

Captchas time out after a few minutes. jD should should stay with the same link and retry it until the customer shows up. An alert might help if the customer is around.
Old 17.05.2010, 19:32
JD Fan

Default Not True

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
Captchas time out after a few minutes. jD should should stay with the same link and retry it until the customer shows up. An alert might help if the customer is around.
There is an option that lets you set the amount of time before the captcha times out and then because it would require intervention by someone entering the captcha it wouldn't make sense to continue to retry the segment endlessly so I would assume that JD would mark it in error and move onto the next segment.
Old 17.05.2010, 19:45

You can set an infinite time-out for Captchas. But, this means that other notifications will also not be displayed: other Captchas, warnings, and so on.

The Captcha does time out at the server end, sometimes in less than 2 minutes (which is not consistent with normal web design). When a Captcha display times out, it should be removed from the screen so that other notifications can be displayed. Missing a Captcha is not supposed to be an error, but queue a connection attempt for the next file from that host. That way, it does not lock out a whole host (for example, many Hotfile downloads do not need a Captcha, it depends on the file size).

The Captcha is not related to the notification area. That just happens to be the default location when JDownloader is minimized (most programs are inconsiderate enough to display it in the middle of the screen). It is a child window of JDownloader, and therefore the normal Open Window sound should work with it. Just make it a loud sound (most .wav files are recorded at a low volume).

Last edited by drbits; 17.05.2010 at 19:53.
Old 17.05.2010, 20:20
JD Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
You can set an infinite time-out for Captchas. But, this means that other notifications will also not be displayed: other Captchas, warnings, and so on.

The Captcha does time out at the server end, sometimes in less than 2 minutes (which is not consistent with normal web design). When a Captcha display times out, it should be removed from the screen so that other notifications can be displayed. Missing a Captcha is not supposed to be an error, but queue a connection attempt for the next file from that host. That way, it does not lock out a whole host (for example, many Hotfile downloads do not need a Captcha, it depends on the file size).
Well we seem to have differing opinions. Within JD there is a specific option that allows you to set the timeout of the captcha but only up to 600 which would be 10 minutes. As long as I enter that capture before that 10 minutes expires the download will begin. So while there may be a timeout on the server end for Hotfile, which is mostly the service that I seem to download from, it must be at least 10 minutes unless the captcha is changing and being re-displayed and I'm not realizing it because I'm not at my computer to watch it but I don't think that's the case.

As for the lack of other captchas, error messages, etc the only pop-up I've ever seen from JD has been captcha and if I'm not there to fill it in I won't be there to fill in the other captchas or see error messages, etc. that won't be displayed because the first one is still in "countdown".

Although I would think that it would be coded in such a way that one captcha would not affect a second from being displayed. We've all seen the erratic program that keeps popping up window after window faster than we can click on the OK button so I don't know why JD if working on another segment would not display that captcha as well as any others in need of intervention. However, one could look at it the other way an presume that if one captcha is being displayed and not being addressed there is no reason to display a second one and therefore put the entire download into a wait state until the first captcha is satisifed but then most free services aren't going to allow multiple downloads of different segments anyway so I guess it just depends on who you users are as to what makes more sense.

The other thing that I do know is that when I wake up in the morning several of those segments have gone into an error status and must be resumed. Since the download of the offending segments do require manual intervention it's no use in attempting a retry so going into a resumable status makes sense rather than continuously trying to download a segment that will fail time after time.