JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 29.05.2011, 03:59
chico

Default Can one set different speeds for different containers?

I have a premium Filesonic account and get decent speeds and I'm happy with it and JDownloader. Ideally, however, I would like to run my speedy premium Filesonic downloads at the same time as some other downloads; namely rapidshare, megaupload, fileserve etc. for which I don't have premium accounts.

Unfortunately, those Fsonic downloads are speedy because they inevitably suck up all the bandwith available and leave all other downloads dead. It would be nice to have the Fsonic going at the same time as a few of those others so JDownloader wouldn't be sitting around doing nothing while waiting for (non premium) timed waits to finish.

Right now it's either download Filesonic stuff OR everything else. Can I somehow limit the speeds of just the Filesonic downloads (or their containers) so the others don't get crushed? Is there some better solution?

Thank you.

*OS 10.6.7, JDownloader 0.9.581

Last edited by Jiaz; 31.05.2011 at 13:37.
Old 29.05.2011, 05:50
Freeloader

How many max connections are u using? The only way I can think of is decreasing the max connections setting to 1 or 2.

Quote:
Quote:
Right now it's either download Filesonic stuff OR everything else. Can I somehow limit the speeds of just the Filesonic downloads (or their containers) so the others don't get crushed? Is there some better solution?
Not sure but I think this is in the TODO list
Old 29.05.2011, 08:06
remi

@chico

You can launch multiple instances of jD and set the Speed option for each instance. Distribute your links according to your speed limits. Note that you can't launch multiple instances from the same jD folder.
Old 29.05.2011, 12:05
chico

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
@chico

You can launch multiple instances of jD and set the Speed option for each instance. Distribute your links according to your speed limits. Note that you can't launch multiple instances from the same jD folder.
This is very interesting. I've never heard of such a thing, but how would this work? I would duplicate the JDownloader program and just put it in a different place and launch? I can't imagine the finder seeing two separate programs running. Would I have to use different versions of JD?

Please enlighten me.

Last edited by chico; 29.05.2011 at 12:14.
Old 29.05.2011, 12:17
chico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeloader View Post
The only way I can think of is decreasing the max connections setting to 1 or 2.
This is interesting too. I will try this and get back to you.
Old 29.05.2011, 12:36
remi

Even if you set "Max. Con." and "Maximum Simultaneous Downloads Per Host" to 1 your premium download might suffocate your other downloads if your bandwidth isn't sufficient.

You can launch multiple instances of jD as long as they don't use the same configuration and link list.

Note that jD isn't the only program that allows launching multiple instances. The search tool I'm using allows it as well. Most programs have a tabbed (or multi document) interface making multiple instance less useful.
Old 29.05.2011, 17:01
chico

Quote:
Even if you set "Max. Con." and "Maximum Simultaneous Downloads Per Host" to 1 your premium download might suffocate your other downloads if your bandwidth isn't sufficient.

You can launch multiple instances of jD as long as they don't use the same configuration and link list.

Note that jD isn't the only program that allows launching multiple instances. The search tool I'm using allows it as well. Most programs have a tabbed (or multi document) interface making multiple instance less useful.
Okay, but I don't understand exactly how to do this. Do I do as I asked, ie. duplicate the program and put it somewhere else and then launch it? While I understand the logic of not having the same link list I'm not completely sure what "don't use the same configuration" might entail. Sorry but I need more explanation.

Last edited by chico; 30.05.2011 at 01:14.
Old 29.05.2011, 17:13
chico

@ Freeloader.

Well, your suggestion was a partial solution. Limiting the number of connections did seem to leave some "breathing room" for my non-premium downloads, but I found I was only using about 3/4 of my possible bandwith. When I tried upping the connections by just one, BOOM, the premium downloads sucked up all the bandwith again. Using only part of my potential speeds is not an ideal solution.

I also tried severely limiting the number of downloads to just two: one premium one regular by disabling parts, but this was not a great solution either because I found myself constantly checking to see if the premium download was finished so I could re-enable another. Such "babysitting" flies in the face of JDownloader's best feature–to "set it and forget it."

Your input was none-the-less appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by chico; 29.05.2011 at 17:17.
Old 30.05.2011, 07:43
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico View Post
Okay, but I don't understand exactly how to do this. Do I do as I asked, ie. duplicate the program and put it somewhere else and then launch it? While I understand the logic of not having the same link list I'm not completely sure what "don't use the same configuration" might entail. Sorry but I need more explanation.
Copy your jD folder to another folder. Start one instance of jD and remove all the links you don't want to download in that instance and set the maximum Speed. Do the same for the second instance.

The configuration data are the settings of jD.
Old 30.05.2011, 09:22
Freeloader

well then your only option is what remi suggested, you can go on with remis solution until the new download system is integrated.

youre welcome
Old 30.05.2011, 11:59
chico

Quote:
Copy your jD folder to another folder. Start one instance of jD and remove all the links you don't want to download in that instance and set the maximum Speed. Do the same for the second instance.

The configuration data are the settings of jD.
Thank you. Will do.