JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 08.04.2022, 23:42
JD Adviser

Question Any tips/tricks/workarounds when downloading Instagram profiles?

I've stopped archiving Instagram profiles for a few months now because I've killed eight accounts so far. Every one of them has been locked out (even only after I've downloaded a single profile) and I need to provide a 360 video to prove I'm not a bot but obviously, I'm not doing that. Haha.

It's pretty obvious why this is happening. However, I started this thread to ask if maybe anyone here has a workaround or any tips/tricks they can share that works with JD2? I tried searching the forum but couldn't find a thread specific for this.

I have no idea about all the bot/spam prevention methods they have now but would adding a delay per single download work? Or does using LinkCrawler alone already trigger it? This is just a thought, would like to know anything that can help since I'm itching to start archiving Instagram again.

At the moment, I've found this website where I can download posts one at a time even without an account: **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff** Little warning though, if you have AV/AM Web protection, the link might get flagged but haven't found anything sketchy about it so far. It works pretty well but as you can imagine, doing it this way could be quite tiresome.

Looking forward to getting any help. Thanks!
Old 11.04.2022, 15:37
Community Manager

Hi,
so far I haven't been able to get an Instagram account banned this way during testing so I guess you're trying to download a lot!

The only thing you can do in JD/our plugin atm is to increase the "request limit" (see Instagram plugin settings, scroll all the way down).

Apart from this, it might be a good idea to use other tools specified for downloading from Instagram (search open source projects on github.com).
Those will sometimes provide more settings/fine tuning to avoid account blocks.

-psp-

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 13.04.2022, 16:17
JD Adviser

Quote:
Hi,
so far I haven't been able to get an Instagram account banned this way during testing so I guess you're trying to download a lot!
Hahaha. Not really a lot but I do like to download full profiles, so that can range from hundreds to thousands of files in one link which is probably why I get banned immediately.

I don't even do anything after downloading, I don't open nor view the photos. I can probably confidently say that I haven't even opened 99% of the folders I have, let alone a file. There's just something about knowing I've "archived" an account that's satisfying. And with the way JD2 works, updating each account is extremely simple, other downloaders would take longer identifying duplicates and skipping them. I honestly thought I'd outgrow this data hoarder mentality after a few years but...nope.

Quote:
The only thing you can do in JD/our plugin atm is to increase the "request limit" (see Instagram plugin settings, scroll all the way down).
Define global request limit? I checked and it was already at 400, which I'm assuming is the default. What would be the best number for this, do you think? 10,000ms?

Quote:
Apart from this, it might be a good idea to use other tools specified for downloading from Instagram (search open source projects on github.com).
Those will sometimes provide more settings/fine tuning to avoid account blocks.
I've used Instaloader but it also got some accounts of mine suspended. Haven't tried anything else 'cause I've been too lazy to create/maintain new accounts. It's been almost a year now and I'm really itching to get back. Haha.

Thanks for the response though! I'll try them out very soon when I get around to making the accounts.
Old 14.04.2022, 00:22
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeM View Post
I don't even do anything after downloading, I don't open nor view the photos. I can probably confidently say that I haven't even opened 99% of the folders I have, let alone a file. There's just something about knowing I've "archived" an account that's satisfying.
Sounds just like the usual data hoarder - all good

Quote:
And with the way JD2 works, updating each account is extremely simple, other downloaders would take longer identifying duplicates and skipping them.
While I do thank you for your props I can imagine that scripts specifically designed for this purpose could do an even better and faster job
The problem is when you re-crawl a profile while you might only download the "new" items, JD still needs to walk through the complete profile to find all items and this causes a lot of http requests and may trigger Instagram anto bot measures

Quote:
Define global request limit? I checked and it was already at 400, which I'm assuming is the default. What would be the best number for this, do you think? 10,000ms?
It's really hard to say.
You could also e.g. check other open source projects on github and see which values they're using.
After all it's trial and error.
I'd start with 3000ms and check if you still get banned that fast.
Just keep in mind that it will slow down the crawl process tremendously.
Also check if you get banned after crawling profiles or only when actually downloading a lot of images.
Also if you don't mind the image quality you can turn off the following setting which will also reduce the amount of http requests when downloading:
Settings -> Plugins -> instagram.com -> "Try to download original quality" --> Disable this

Quote:
I've used Instaloader but it also got some accounts of mine suspended. Haven't tried anything else 'cause I've been too lazy to create/maintain new accounts. It's been almost a year now and I'm really itching to get back. Haha.
There is no way to block bots 100% but there is also no way to avoid account bans 100%.
After all we don't have the time to further investigate how to effectively avoid such blocks.
My guess would be that Instaloader has a bigger userbase and developer-community so a lot of people are working together to improve this -> Using that may cause less account bans than using JD but that's only my assumption.

Quote:
Thanks for the response though! I'll try them out very soon when I get around to making the accounts.
Good luck

-psp-

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?