JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Go Back   JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH > International Support > JDownloader 2

Old 17.10.2018, 07:20
Wind Gust

Default Something wrong with latest update

Ever since I ran into a JD2 update which caused me some confusion with rar5 (mentioned in an older post) I've learned to backup JD2 before any update (and only update once per week now). This allows me to revert to the previous update if anything "bad" happens.

Sunday night I updated JD2. Since then download speeds have gone way down making it impossible to download anything with JD2 in a reasonable amount of time. For a file that would previously download anywhere from 300kb/s to 2.5Mb/s the download speeds are under 10kb/sec so a file that used to take 15-25 minutes to download was now estimated at 6 hours to over a day! No way I'm going to wait for that.

So I reverted to the previous version. No other changes made. Same download link for my test. And sure enough it was back to the old (more-ore less livable) speed. Download speed about 1Mb/s, estimated download time about 16m. Kill it. Switch to the current version and start the download again. Download speed, about 9.99 kb/s, estimated download time, 1d 7h!

I can flip back and forth with the same test download and get reproducible results. So the question is, what changed?
Old 17.10.2018, 07:32
Wind Gust

After I posted the above I thought of one permutation I didn't test. That is revert to the previous "working" (faster download) version and then update it again to the current version. This time the download speed don't go down. So I am now back to using the current update and don't know what happened when I updated it the other day. In all the updates I've ever done that kind of behavior has never previous occurred. Oh well, must have been a stay gamma ray I guess!
Old 17.10.2018, 10:37
JD Manager

JDownloader has no influence on download speed. It loads as fast as your setup/system allows. Of course sites may detect use of managers and throttle such downloads, but then it would affect all users and not tied to an update. There are many possible causes, for example different final download servers (load balancing) and one time the fast one is used, the next time the slow one is in use. You can find download server in mouse over in connection column while download is running.