JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 11.02.2020, 14:40
I will play nice!

Default System freezes at JDownloader startup (macOS)

Dear community,

I am using JDownloader 2 for years and I do highly appreciate all the effort that the developers are putting into this lovely piece of software.

However, for quite a while (round about 1 year) I experience an issue when starting up JDownloader: My system freezes until JDownloader has started up. So that takes for about 20-30 seconds. After that everything works fine again.

I do have a MacBook Pro and run it on macOS Mojave. Java and JDownloader are up to date and I don't experience this issue anywhere else on my system. This error came up all of a sudden. I theoretically can live with this problem and first I thought a solution might be implemented with a newer version, but unfortunately it didn't.

I also tried to use all available search functions for this problem, but nothing came up with that exact same error.
Thus, if there's a way to remedy the issue, I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot in advance for your support!
Old 14.02.2020, 01:53
I will play nice!

Default System freezing when starting JD2 (macOS)

Dear community,

I keep it rather short, since I already started a rather detailed new thread a couple of days ago, but it obviously didn't get posted here / approved.
Thus, not wasting too much time in case it doesn't get rough, I rather short, as said.

First of all, great work to all JD2 developers.
I'm facing the problem that my whole system freezes when starting JD2 on macOS Mojave. This takes approximately 30 seconds. After JD2 has "booted" everything works fine again. Are there maybe solutions for this topic, or known causes?

Thanks a lot for the support!
Old 15.02.2020, 05:53
JD Legend

hmmm not sure why it is causing you to totally freeze, it could be several issues like something interfering in memory with some other app or maybe a corrupted plist etc.

When was the last time you also ran such as Disk Utilities to check and repair permissions or boot into recovery mode and run DU to check the disc and possibly repair if needed?
Are you running and SSD on that MBP?
One app I recommend that sometimes one may need to run also is Diskwarrior. IT actually can find and repair some things that Disk Utility does not repair.

Just a thought.
Old 15.02.2020, 13:20
I will play nice!

Hi Statter,

thanks for your prompt reply!
I just ran the Disk Utility tool, and the result was "The volume appears to be ok".

And yes, it is a SSD. I even replaced the SSD last summer with a new one, but applied a Time Machine Backup on it. With both the new SSD and with the old SSD, the system freezes. If I had to guess, I would go for a "software issue". As you said, maybe some interference in memory with another app, or something like that.

Do you think, that uninstalling JD2 completely and then do a fresh install might solve the issue? I usually hesitate with uninstalling and installing software again, since this - at least in an Apple environment - didn't solve the problem for me, once.
Old 17.02.2020, 21:33
JD Legend

well I would first suggest you try to find and run DiskWarrior (maybe a friend has a USB stick with it installed you could possibly borrow to boot up with) as even though Disk utility says that everything is ok there still could be Directory structures or actual used/free space errors that DU doesnt always see.

and not knowing still which OS your using what software or other items including yuk Adobe flash, what Java version etc your using or what other items you may have not updated properly it is still more than likely a software issue unless diskwarrior finds an issue not reported with DU although it could still be a combination too.

Some of the older Apple OS updates used to check and at least put certain apps that they knew caused problems were move to another directory so they would not start up automatically and the folder was labeled also as a warning so to speak so the end user knew what they need to update or to find another product that could do the same job etc.

Unfortunately at this Time since things they have changed their OS installs at the app store the OSes now are not doing such anymore.

Uninstalling and reinstalling might help but I think something else is going on at a lower level than the app itself

Last edited by Statter; 17.02.2020 at 21:36.