JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 31.01.2014, 01:50
roshambo

Default Update when closing

There's options to update upon startup which is nice but it would be nicer (in my case) if there were options to update when you close JD.

When starting I want it to load asap but don't care how long it takes to close.

Shutting down the computer when JD is open would have to be considered but wouldn't that currently just result in a failed update and upon the next JD clean close it would update?
Old 31.01.2014, 02:32
English Supporter

Depending on your settings, updating should happen in the background (on defaults). Plugins on the fly (restarts generally not required), core updates downloads take place pre installation and installation on start. Installation should only take seconds (does here on 3 year old laptop). Not quite the answer your wanting, but I believe closing update event wont ensure another update again on start (depending on when updates come out and how long you've closed JD for). Typically JD on start it will make sure you're up to date again, which might ask you to restart to reinstall newer updates, if your not using the -forceupdate switch. You can use switch -forceupdate which will ensure update prior to starting JD main GUI.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]

Last edited by raztoki; 01.02.2014 at 01:07. Reason: fixed nickgrish
Old 01.02.2014, 00:26
roshambo

Just did an almost daily update when starting JD for the second time today, it took 25 seconds on an FX8320, downloaded around 1 MB\s, which is about normal, occasionally its a minute or two, probably gui updates.

The thing is when I open JD I want to use it, didn't JD used to update on close?
Old 01.02.2014, 02:09
English Supporter

See what appwork thinks, but from my gut feeling installing updates on shutdown probably wont happen.

Old 01.02.2014, 13:12
Ultra Loader

What's the point of updating a software on closing it?

Look at this scenario: fatal bug introduced in latest update, you start JD, you use it with the bug (even for hours), you don't notice the bug, maybe you've lost 10GiB of downloads! So you close JD, and you're update, but now the damage is done.
Old 04.02.2014, 07:21
roshambo

How I use it is long after the typical daily update time when most of eu is sleeping, I open JD for, then close it again, and often reopen a few hours later. In this case update on close would give me updates earlier and more importantly doesn't require 25 seconds to open JD that second time.

The scenario you gave has just as much likelihood to have a 'buggy' version updating on start as you are on close and these buggy versions happen rarely.

I'm not saying it should be default but an option would be very nice.

Last edited by roshambo; 04.02.2014 at 07:32.
Old 04.02.2014, 09:23
English Supporter

Talked it over with Appwork, and they are of the same opinion as I.

Since the update system loads plugin updates without the need to restart, and once JD2 goes stable we wont be having any where near as many core updates (which require restarts) as we are currently having in our Beta phase. We don't see need to install updates on closing of process (close or shutdown).

raztoki

Old 04.02.2014, 23:07
roshambo

Oh well, thanks for a definitive answer. Next step is disabling auto updates I guess, it's only lately become a distraction for me, as they are updating almost daily, already 2 different updates today.

Thinking of scheduling and update but is there a way to update without opening the gui?
Old 05.02.2014, 00:56
English Supporter

there is a switch (-norestart), but it will stop on first event that requires process restart. Update process takes 3 or so restarts in order to fully install & start. Switch was made so we could control/dev with without the next stage taking place. So not as simple as using that switch for what you want it for.

raztoki