JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 18.02.2018, 13:57
JD82

Default Ubuntu 17.10: Unclickable menus on JDownloader 2

After upgrading from 17.04 to 17.10, and consequent switch from Unity to Gnome Shell, all the menus of JDownloader 2 became unclickable.

By "unclickable" I don't mean disabled, but that I cannot click them with the mouse.

The menu opens when I press the mouse button and closes when I release it. So I can keep the menu open by long pressing it but, even when open, the items are not clickable.

This happens with all the menus, like the usual Drop-down main menu or the right click menu.

With the right click menu, it stays open when I right click but I cannot select any entry with the mouse because the focus is on the back.

I am using OpenJDK 1.8:

Code:
$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_151"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-8u151-b12-0ubuntu0.17.10.2-b12)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)
Old 19.02.2018, 12:27
JD Manager

Please try OracleJDK. I would say its issue between used window manager and openjdk.
Old 19.02.2018, 19:19
JD82

I tired with the Oracle JDK
Code:
$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_161"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.161-b12, mixed mode)
Same result: the menus are still unclickable.

JDownloader seems to be the only application where there is this weird behavior with the menus. I also tried other Java applications, like **External links are only visible to Support Staff**this one for example, but there the menus are working fine.

Ubuntu 17.10 is the latest version of Ubuntu, which is one of the most popular (if not the most popular) GNU/Linux distribution. It is officially supported by Valve (Steam for Linux) and Dell.

Please consider investigating this issue.
Old 19.02.2018, 19:32
JD Manager

Can you please start JDownloader manually in console with
java -jar JDownloader.jar -console
do you see any exceptions/errors?

I'm working on ubuntu myself as well as another developer and we don't have this issue and never had. Also this is out of our(JDownloader) hand as this is all happening within java itself and not JDownloader code.

So it must be something specific to your system/setup.

We can also do a teamviewer session and check this together if you like
Contact us via support@jdownloader.org
Old 19.02.2018, 20:04
JD82

First of all thank you for your willingness to help and I am very happy to know that multiple developers are already using the same OS that I use

I did some more tests and I have more info: since you told me that it should be specific to my setup I just created a new user on my machine and installer JD2 from scratch, using the shell script from the official download page. And I was really surprised to see that it was working fine!

Than I went back to my user and started JD2 form console with the command from your previous post looking for errors and, even bigger surprise, it was working fine also from my user! But only when starting it directly with java -jar.

Than I tried to start JD2 using the same script that the launcher is using, the ~/jd2/JDownloader2 file, and I had once again the broken menus.

I than compared the 2 JDownloader2 files from the freshly installed JD2 and my really old installation and I noticed that they are different!

Than I copied the new file over my installation but I got this error when trying to execute it:
Code:
~/jd2$ ./JDownloader2
Errore: impossibile trovare o caricare la classe principale com.install4j.runtime.launcher.UnixLauncher
Which translate to "Error: unable to find or load the main class com.install4j.runtime.launcher.UnixLauncher".

Just in case you are interested in having a look at the two files, I have attached them to this post.

What do you want me to do? Are you interested in more information about this issue to provide a fix for other people affected or should I just wipe and reinstall JD2 on my user?

Let me know and thanks again for the help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip JDownloader2.zip (6.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 20.02.2018, 11:19
JD Manager

I've answered via e-mail. Please check
Old 20.02.2018, 20:13
JD Manager

Caused by old installation and old bundled java.
Removal of old bundled java is enough. Just delete/rename the jre folder within your JDownloader installation

Thanks for the feedback via email