JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 27.03.2011, 00:13
Brak

Default Create file then stop.

Hi.

This idea is in my head a long time.

Downloading the big file and when that file is many is uncomfortable (for example 13 files which size is 1,09 gb per file or something like that ) because Jdownloader any new downloads create a new files (disk drive work 100% so veeery slows system at few seconds) in all time.

In my eyes, Jdownloader starting create file on the disk when file have minimum ~1 mb, so i found solution for this problem - force download in all file (or force one per time), control when the file is created and stop
(deactivate) when i want to downloading 2 or 1 files at the same time. But this is not a good and comfortable way.

Maybe good idea is new option - Create file and stop which means exactly how has name, with new icon which show the file is created on hard drive?

This maybe should work like this:
When i have setting download 2 file at the same time, Jdownloader Create needed 2 file and download in fullspead,meanwhile start download needed date to create next part, when create file is complete - download is automatic stop for this part and go to next...
In results,all files was created and system slow down is only for example 2 - 3 min and disappears random slowing system after download and start each file in all time downloading (which can be hours)...

Of course this can works and have sense only for premium accounts...

Please for opinion, thanks

Last edited by Jiaz; 27.03.2011 at 11:08.
Old 27.03.2011, 10:42
remi

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you want.

Do you want jD to create full size files on your disk before starting downloads in order to avoid full disk situations or fragmentation of your disk?
Old 27.03.2011, 11:08
JD Manager

the advantage for pre-creating the download files on disk is not very much.
1.) modern filesystems should not have any problems with creating big files over time at all
2.) filesystem only will get slow in such a situation when you have
2.1.) not much space left
2.2.) a very bad antivirus tool causing pain in the axx
3.) as most downloaded files will get extracted after downloads there is no real advantage as the files get deleted after extraction anyway
Old 27.03.2011, 11:20
English Supporter

@Brak
I think the system slowdown is not during file creation but when finishing download / anti virus checking. So your complicated thought might not help.
Old 27.03.2011, 15:20
Brak

My anti virus scanning only what Firefox doing.

In my case - create 200-400 mb parts takes exactly few seconds so that is not problem, but 1,09gb mkv movie takes around i don't know 10 sec (parts can be bigger!), ok but in laptop which all hard drive sucks there must be a big problem with this (reading speed in my disk (beginning) is about 120 mb/s so not bad ,new drive have about 140-150mb/s and i know - that is reading but shows that disk is not old).

While file is created -and for example i watching movie in VLC i have strange artefacts , which disappear in next "scene"...Don't know the other have at the same situation but ok - that can be only in my case..

I don't say nothing about slowdown system after downloading, i says only about hard drive working when create new file on disk ... But working in system and watching website is not a biggest problem - try play games when new file was created on disk, you MUST see the slowing down performance...

But in my idea - slowing is only in beginning downloading , and later Jdownloader used the previous created file... Of course that must be under control , and limited for packeted or something... Maybe that is area to extension , not Jdownloader main function...

I hope that now everyone knows what I meant

Last edited by Brak; 27.03.2011 at 15:22.
Old 27.03.2011, 15:25
JD Manager

as jd does not pre-create any files at the moment, this slowdown can only come from
1.) filesystem full/high fragmentation grade
2.) antivirus scanning the file (if it only protect your browser, it aint a good av )

file is created and watching movie?
are we talking about the file you are downloading or 2 different files?
in case you watch the file thats currently downloaded, then artefacts are kinda normal as the complete file is not yet available
Old 28.03.2011, 03:31
Brak

Hmm interesting...

1)i have defragmented partition (Ultimate defrag 3)...
2)that is my kaspersky settings, observe only ports for Firefox (in my opinion - virus can install only 2 ways, pendrive and browser - in my case firefox) , scanning parts of movie and games in all time is not a good idea, but when i download the programs, can scan manual ,so I think, that is balance between security and performance;)

About movie i mean movie what is in hard drive (and partition in my case) which Jdownloader create file...

So Jiaz - you try to say me, that Jdownloader don't pre-create any files? How is that possible, now i download a random file like this:

**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

What i see? Jdownloader download about 4 mb date, then start pre-creating part on disk witch extension .part in end (like other download manager, but in other then can be on/off in options), size of this file increase 200mb,400mb,500mb,600mb,700mb,800mb,900mb,1 gb and Jdownloader return to download (when file is created Jdownloader not download any date). So i have illusion or something? Maybe you don't understand what i mean - sorry my language is not good i know that,trying write the better how i can :/

So now i don't understand what's going on :(

Specially for this i doing that in other (older then my "main") hard drive...
Old 28.03.2011, 05:43
English Supporter

If in the beginning of download you always see the creation of .part with size increase stepping 100 MB until 1 GB (the downloaded file size) before the download actually start, it is not done by JD, maybe Kapersky does that.

I believe what Jiaz means by pre-create is create and reserve the needed space by filling it with zeroes for example, like the above scenario, it's not done by JD.

What JD does is open for writing a .part file with zero size and start download as soon as possible.
Old 28.03.2011, 10:49
JD Manager

jd does only write the bytes that exist.
pre-creating, i mean creating an empty file that has the final filesize length.

i reallly suggest to find the cause for your heavy system usage by using taskmanager and also checking kaspersky (one of our most beloved av tool ever :p )
Old 17.11.2017, 12:19
sbaloo

Hi i have the same issues but only when my jdownloader2 is downloading to my nas from my windows 10 station. If i said to my jdownloader2 to download on the windows 10 disk. No issues
Old 17.11.2017, 12:29
JD Manager

Use less connectoins/chunks to avoid timeout during file creation
Old 17.11.2017, 12:39
English Supporter

@sbaloo
wired or wireless network? though could be caused by sparse issue over network sharing.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]