JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 20.01.2012, 11:55
remi

The files that were hosted on MU exclusively will be redistributed to other, smaller hosts. This will take some time though. When these hosts on their turn will become too popular they'll be forced to shut down as well. This will continue as long as most people allow and support this type of totalitarian communism.
Old 20.01.2012, 12:10
wackplayer

Default Delete Plugin- Megaupload.com

Megaupload.com was killed yesterday after an internationally coordinated U.S. FBI investigation.

That's right, even a Dutch citizen was arrested in Australia. All of Megaupload's assets in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand, including servers, domain names, even their cars and mansions - all seized in order to pay the $500 million in piracy-related losses, should they be convicted.

I had some critical backups of projects in there, LEGAL projects. THey cannot be replaced, I will have to do them from scratch. All of the previous backups were hosted there, too.

Please, let's have a moment of silence for Megaupload, and all the files contained within.

Megaupload said they'll be back, but I don't think your old accounts will work with the new sites, nor will they have all of the files hosted under the former domain name.

Last edited by wackplayer; 20.01.2012 at 12:12.
Old 20.01.2012, 12:35
remi

I like that sort of propaganda. I'm curious how many people believe what's written in the WP, an old media Mafia company, collaborating with the Mafia White House for many decades. I see that smeller media companies are copying the propaganda.

The planet's Internet traffic shrunk with 4% today. That means there's plenty of room for sharing and downloading even more.
Old 20.01.2012, 12:42
remi

Never upload your data to only one host. If your content is unique/original, use multi-upload services to minimise the risk of forced shut-down of these hosts.

Cloud backup will also never completely replace local disk backups.

If your data is sensitive, please use services that encrypt the traffic as well as the storage.

Last edited by raztoki; 20.01.2012 at 13:11.
Old 20.01.2012, 13:27
wackplayer

The backups are huge encrypted archives, it would be difficult to break down. I made a program that encrypt/decrypts the data. I've written it all off as a loss. I can start over, I still have lots of time. I still haven't seen anything remotely close to what I am doing in my project either in the patent applications nor in the marketplace. I believe I can catch up.
Old 20.01.2012, 14:29
Banned

Pirate empire collapsed megaupload. All the files went the f*ck.
Old 20.01.2012, 14:44
Banned

In Internet are hundreds of different sites hosting the files. For starters take a sh*t greatest services that contribute to bigger losses. If today or tomorrow will disappear one way or similar service are after him there will be more services, which will flood the entire Internet.
Old 20.01.2012, 14:48
remi

Cool

Thanks for giving us hope. Amen.
Old 20.01.2012, 15:01
remi

Cool

I hope they could quickly make some backups when the FBI was ringing the doorbell.
Old 20.01.2012, 19:18
vengeance

Very sad day indeed. If the law works properly the case will get thrown out, as they complied with DMCA takedown notices, are protected under Safe Harbor regulations, and their uploader incentive (money for downloads) being called "money laundering" by the FBI is just ludicrous.

So, I think we'll see MegaUpload back, unless the feds manage to twist and ignore the laws (not the first time they've succeeded in that, but we'll see). I actually read the initial report they put out and it is laughable, so I don't think it will stand up to a court. MU has money to fight back.

With regards to other filehosts being hit? I don't think it is likely; MU was most likely hit because it was the largest one (in gross bandwidth) along with having a U.S. citizen CEO, etc.

If the case DOES go through, however, THEN we have to worry about ALL other sites. Not just file hosting sites, but sites like YouTube, which will all be jeopardized, as it will mean DMCA Safe Harbor has been ruled null and void.

I see that ever happening as EXTREMELY unlikely.

I also bet the Electronic Frontier Foundation will have something to say about this case, for this exact reason. This illegal takedown threatens the very validity of the DMCA Safe Harbor provision, a crucial part of operating any service online. If that becomes null, then every site online will have to police all its users to watch for piracy, and that means new businesses will have zero ability to hire enough staff to keep up.

So, I just can't see this case ever getting off the ground. The FBI's other claims are even more ludicrous and will not stand up to scrutiny. For instance, calling the advertiser/hoster relationship a "conspiracy" and calling the money-for-downloads incentive a "money laundering scheme", which is just reckless abuse of the English language. I am sure MU's money stash will pay for great lawyers to explain the absurdity of this to the courts, if the case even gets that far.

Last edited by vengeance; 20.01.2012 at 19:30.
Old 21.01.2012, 01:49
Storm

MU and others are like a hotel except that they host files instead of people. 1000's of criminals use hotels on a daily basis. It is not the job of the hotel owner or his staff to police the occupations of their guests and they are never prosecuted for having harbored criminals. Where's the difference?

This is all about the recording companies profits, nothing else. Consider the major wall street and banking criminals who put millions out of their homes, businesses, jobs, and placed even more into the world of poverty. Has the FBI gone after them? No, and why not? Because they have been greasing the palms of politicians with large sums of campaign contributions.

Murdoch squealed that Obama had thrown in his lot with Silicon Valley when he decided not to back SOPA and the recording companies went insane promising not to give a single dime to Obama's 2012 election campaign. Perhaps this is Obama's way of making it up to them?
Old 21.01.2012, 11:06
remi

I totally agree with your analysis. Well written.

@vengeance

The only difference with previous cases (RS and HF when they were the biggest hosts) is that this time the CEO of MU didn't give in to the pressure of the power elites. He probably didn't want to pay the amounts of money his more powerful enemies were trying to squeeze out of him. I'm curious why he did take that stand. Does he want to counter-attack and prove that copyright law is completely rotten?

It also seems (but I'll take everything in this propaganda war with a grain of salt) that he accused other file hosts of the same practices. A part of that letter had been published but I can't verify whether it's authentic.
Old 21.01.2012, 16:36
madascene

Quote:
Originally Posted by vengeance View Post
Very sad day indeed. If the law works properly the case will get thrown out, as they complied with DMCA takedown notices, are protected under Safe Harbor regulations, and their uploader incentive (money for downloads) being called "money laundering" by the FBI is just ludicrous.

So, I think we'll see MegaUpload back, unless the feds manage to twist and ignore the laws (not the first time they've succeeded in that, but we'll see). I actually read the initial report they put out and it is laughable, so I don't think it will stand up to a court. MU has money to fight back.

With regards to other filehosts being hit? I don't think it is likely; MU was most likely hit because it was the largest one (in gross bandwidth) along with having a U.S. citizen CEO, etc.

If the case DOES go through, however, THEN we have to worry about ALL other sites. Not just file hosting sites, but sites like YouTube, which will all be jeopardized, as it will mean DMCA Safe Harbor has been ruled null and void.

I see that ever happening as EXTREMELY unlikely.

I also bet the Electronic Frontier Foundation will have something to say about this case, for this exact reason. This illegal takedown threatens the very validity of the DMCA Safe Harbor provision, a crucial part of operating any service online. If that becomes null, then every site online will have to police all its users to watch for piracy, and that means new businesses will have zero ability to hire enough staff to keep up.

So, I just can't see this case ever getting off the ground. The FBI's other claims are even more ludicrous and will not stand up to scrutiny. For instance, calling the advertiser/hoster relationship a "conspiracy" and calling the money-for-downloads incentive a "money laundering scheme", which is just reckless abuse of the English language. I am sure MU's money stash will pay for great lawyers to explain the absurdity of this to the courts, if the case even gets that far.
Why can't you be more informed before sprouting random nonsense? Megaupload was stripped off its safe harbor protection because it didn't adhere to the safe harbor provisions. They weren't DMCA compliant in the true sense as you say. When they received DMCA notice for a file, all they did was disable the URL mentioned but the actual files were never deleted. Which is why you could upload the same file again in a split second and get another unique URL. Furthermore, disabling one URL of a file did nothing as other URLs to the same file remained active because the actual file was never deleted.

The reward program is also no secret. They claimed to never pay copyright infringing users but that was only on paper as in reality you could always get paid no matter what you uploaded.

As if the above wasn't enough, the feds have evidence that the staff of MU were actively involved in uploading and downloading copyrighted files themselves. Note the names of TV shows in the 72 page indictment. There's also evidence through email conversations and chat logs that they were aware of existence of copyrighted files on their server but did nothing.

This operation wasn't a sudden knee-jerk reaction in total disregard for law. The feds were methodically gathering evidence for 2 years to build up a solid case before finally going for the arrest. You will find that everything has been done in a very organized manner if you read everything carefully.
Old 22.01.2012, 11:27
remi

And the MAFIA(A) will have to repeat that process for all the remaining 3000 file hosts.
Old 22.01.2012, 18:37
Community Manager

I think at the moment we got about 2000 file hosters and about 1000 image hosters.
It's gonna ba a looong way to shut all of those down

GreeZ pspzockerscene

P.S. Megaupload was a great hoster!

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 23.01.2012, 06:48
madascene

I don't think the feds are bothered about all 2000 file hosters. They know which are the top 5 filehosters where 90% of the entertainment industry files reside and they are focused on taking them down only. The rest will fall like a pack of cards.

But at the moment, these file hosters aren't waiting to be taken down, they are packing up on their own. Fileserve disabled everyone's account yesterday. Filepost is deleting everyone's account at a rapid pace. Filesonic disabled sharing today. Filejungle and Uploadstation being owned by Fileserve, will probably go the same way. Basically only Rapidshare is still standing tall among the top hosts now.
Old 23.01.2012, 10:49
Blob

The MegaUpload case is serious, in that several other major players are forced to voluntarily cut back their services. These never happened when RapidShare and Hotfiles were shaken down the other day.
Old 23.01.2012, 11:39
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob View Post
forced to voluntarily ...
I think that's a small contradiction but I understand your comment.

Maybe RS's encryption is helping them now.
Old 23.01.2012, 13:02
Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I totally agree with your analysis. Well written.
Permit me to add to it as I seriously believe most people are not considering the whole picture.

For everyone, the cost of living has increased significantly over the last few years. What has not been subjected to price increases? Nothing! In certain cases, notably energy, the increases have been totally disproportionate.

Have wages increased at the same rate? Isn't it true they either froze or decreased? Millions of people lost their jobs and are now on welfare. What this means is that the average person's buying power has been destroyed and I'm talking 50% of the planet or more. So, taking out file hosting sites is NOT going to make these people return to the cinema, nor will it encourage them to buy CD's, games, and DVD's. It's money that was already lost.

Note I have not mentioned software. That's because the story is somewhat different in that despite all it can do for you its true value is nowhere close to the price being asked. Why is that?

If you buy a music CD and later wish to sell it, that CD will retain some residual value and you wil get some of your investment back. The music on it is not being continually updated unlike software. If you buy a software title today and attempt to resell it 2 years later, what is its value? Old software is worthless, period.

Now let's look at the accumulated cost of your software...
Let's say you purchase a good laptop for around $1000. Now add the cost of your Office suite and then your pick of your 10 most preferred programs. What has that lot cost you? Generally, the software will have cost significantly more than the computer itself and this begs certain questions:
- how much is your software worth when you decide to resell your computer 3 years later?
- isn't it true that your computer's value will be higher even though its cost was inferior?
- for some people, the retail cost of the sum total of the software installed on their machine will be as much as the cost of their vehicle. How many can afford that?

Do you remember when people would class their most expensive purchases as their home and their vehicle? Today most people put their computer in 3rd place but, if they have paid for all the software on it, surely it's the software that should take 3rd place? They don't see it that way because, like their kids education fees, it is money that is lost. It has NO residual value.

With the exception of a few game titles and the software's second hand value being non-existent, this needs to be taken into consideration when authors price their software.

Some software titles are pratically worthless even when they are new releases. This particularly applies to anything that has a freeware competitor. As an example, I cite Desktop Paints "Animated Screensaver Maker" at $29.95. That price is ridiculous especially when you consider the merits of their freeware competitor "Instant Storm".

All these $19.95, $29.95, and $39.95 titles add up. If you stop to consider all the software you have installed how do you truly see their value? For what it does, would "Animated Screensaver Maker" even be worth $5.00?

Many software authors claim that piracy is putting them out of business but I believe it's their pricing that's doing that for them.

Several years ago I purchased a title called "Swish". I was very happy with it and then its author released "SwishMax" which I paid $39.95 for. It was something I needed and still use today. The program has undergone constant development but upgrades were not free. In its current guise "SwishMax4" the retail price has increased to $149.95. Even though it is far less expensive than "Adobe Flash CS5" I simply cannot justify the increase for what is essentially more functionality allied to a $0.00 used value. If the original $39.95 price had been retained I would have bought it.

I wonder how many potential sales the author has lost due to overpricing? I'll bet it's at least 5 for every sale he makes. If he had kept the price at $39.95 that would mean a return of $199.75 instead of $149.95 and the more people using it the more people he would have recommending it to others.

I'm sorry I have strayed from the original Megaupload subject but I believe these anti-piracy squealers need to take a long look in the mirror before laying all the blame on file hosting services.

Last edited by 7leagueboot; 23.01.2012 at 13:07.
Old 23.01.2012, 15:50
tommik

to 7leagueboot

You obviously have not a slightest idea of what it is to produce a music CD or film DVD... so stop your like spreading over several useless paragraphs and go away to get some life...