JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 20.06.2013, 05:37
JD Legend

Default install location

I just installed JD2 on a new PC running XP. I didn't see any option to choose the install location.

It has installed itself (170 MB!) in
"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\JDownloader v2.0\JDownloader2.exe"

I do not want programs hidden down in my "Documents and settings". It is neither a document nor a setting. When I backup my documents, I don't want to backup huge program installations.

Can I just move the folder to a more rational location?
I have a partition for OS, and one for programs, and the rest for data. I use "Documents and settings" as little as possible, and never for programs.

Please also give the option to download a complete self-contained installer, and choose the install folder.

I dislike the style of having a tiny stub downloader/installer.
If I want to reinstall, or install on another PC, I have to start all over again with the 30+ MB download, which takes a half hour for me.

-- PS. So I just moved the folder to my programs folder and it seems to work. But please give some install options.

Last edited by Gweilo; 20.06.2013 at 05:56.
Old 20.06.2013, 06:05
Spanish Supporter

You can change the path. When you open the setup wizard there is an option: advanced installation. The size of the installation should be about 70 MB. Yes you can copy all path and it works.
Old 20.06.2013, 06:37
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lram32 View Post
You can change the path. When you open the setup wizard there is an option: advanced installation. The size of the installation should be about 70 MB. Yes you can copy all path and it works.
Well I'll take your word for it but I didn't see that or any options, and don't want to start all over again from the "web installer". I always check for install options, as so many free programs try to piggyback toolbars, and all kinds of demoware crap.

However the folder JD created is much bigger than 70 MB.
I tried to paste in the file listing but it's too long.
But the summary:
Total Files Listed:
4293 File(s) 170,679,601 bytes

Last edited by Gweilo; 20.06.2013 at 07:05.
Old 20.06.2013, 07:44
English Supporter

Installer should provide you with custom path, it's located within appdata because of how windows now protects program files directories and creates many issues with permissions. JD saves all data to one folder, so its easier to install to a path that user has permission. Also JD is designed as a one person application, its not multiuser friendly without you sharing every detail.

Backing up JD is still as simple as going to the install path and copying the installation directory, or just the cfg/config folder (depending on the version of JD you are running). In respects to amount of files, loads of files are logs or captcha images which can be wiped at any point in time, and configs volume of files can be attributed to you resizing captcha dialogs for instance, it will save each hoster position and size on screen. The size of JD installation shouldn't be that large, my JD2 install is only
59.9 MB (62,858,684 bytes)
5,860 Files, 868 Folders

oh the newer installers are packaged with it's own version of java, this is to over come systems with badly installed java, or really old java it uses what it comes with instead. You can remove this if you want to free some space.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]

Last edited by raztoki; 20.06.2013 at 07:51.
Old 20.06.2013, 10:04
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
Installer should provide you with custom path, it's located within appdata because of how windows now protects program files directories and creates many issues with permissions. JD saves all data to one folder, so its easier to install to a path that user has permission. Also JD is designed as a one person application, its not multiuser friendly without you sharing every detail.
Well, I don't have any other programs installing themselves in "Documents and settings".
My OS is on an SSD, which has limited space. I need to watch how much space programs take up or move the obese ones to a hard disk.

If there was a "custom path" option, it was very subtle. When in the process should this appear? Is this an option that times out and goes to a default, because I left it running as the download took a long time.

Does the installer leave any files behind?
This is why I like to just download the actual installer and not a "web installer" that puts "temporary" files all over the place and may or may not clean them up.

Quote:
oh the newer installers are packaged with it's own version of java, this is to over come systems with badly installed java, or really old java it uses what it comes with instead. You can remove this if you want to free some space.
That must be it.
How do I remove this? Just delete a folder? Which one? I guess "jre" Java runtime, 114 MB?

Since I have a new install of Windows XP SP3 with all updates, including the latest version of Java before I installed JD, I don't know why this was necessary. I would like to be informed and asked before a program downloads and installs 114MB of files, taking a very long time.

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
Quote:
Originally Posted by java.com
Verified Java Version
Completion checkmark
Congratulations!
You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 25).

Last edited by Gweilo; 20.06.2013 at 10:10.
Old 20.06.2013, 13:02
English Supporter

I don't foresee JD growing in any significant size in the near future. The only time it would grow would be when we import 3rd party components like libraries or binaries. If you are not downloading to JD2 default path or my docs\downloads\ it won't hog vast quantity of space.

custom paths provided, just double checked with coalado.

If the installer has any temp files they will most likely be within system temp provided by system variable. OS cleanup should take care of any files not removed, some times not always possible as they are open by itself.

The java provided can be removed by just deleting the folder, its not installed. It's just provided in worse case scenario.

Last edited by coalado; 20.06.2013 at 13:05.
Old 20.06.2013, 14:02
JD Legend

Quote:
I don't foresee JD growing in any significant size in the near future. The only time it would grow would be when we import 3rd party components like libraries or binaries. If you are not downloading to JD2 default path or my docs\downloads\ it won't hog vast quantity of space.

custom paths provided, just double checked with coalado.
Okay, blue on blue. More contrast would be good.

Also, if more than one person installed it, each would have their own 170 MB folder in Documents. Instead of one program folder and a few config files.

I'm just getting a 1 TB drive next week, but still don't like bloat.
I'll be making backups. Hundreds of MB of program files I don't need to backup at all doesn't make that easier. If I'm backing up "Documents" and much of that is actually several copies of an unneeded Java install, that's just silly.

Quote:
The java provided can be removed by just deleting the folder, its not installed. It's just provided in worse case scenario.
Thanks, but really, it should check the current install first, or just ask the user, default to get it if you like.

Even if I have a big disk now, my download speed is actually getting worse as the local ISP oversells their capacity.
Old 20.06.2013, 14:27
English Supporter

Well the live jd installer requires java, if the system java is messed up, or even a bad release it will make the live installer fail. Think that's why it's provided.

Overselling is how ISP make money. Retail residential over sold many times more so than business grade services. Considering the price you pay for residential compared to business services you are getting really good deal cost wise.

Old 20.06.2013, 16:50
JD Legend

Quote:
Well the live jd installer requires java, if the system java is messed up, or even a bad release it will make the live installer fail. Think that's why it's provided.
Let it fail and then tell me to download the jre version.
Provide the option, don't force me to spend 30 minutes downloading files I don't need.

Quote:
Overselling is how ISP make money. Retail residential over sold many times more so than business grade services. Considering the price you pay for residential compared to business services you are getting really good deal cost wise.
Not really, business plans here are pretty cheap. I could write a page about local ISPs, but suffice it that I am paying twice what most people are in HK, while Speedtest shows me as in the bottom 5% of speed for the territory. Over the last 10 years the cost has doubled, while speed declines, as I'm in a rural area with limited upstream connection and more people connecting more devices all the time.
It's one of the tradeoffs for living in the countryside close to the beach.
There's a fibre connection coming sometime undetermined, but they're more interested in selling expensive 4G phone services than improving basic home broadband.

Last edited by Gweilo; 20.06.2013 at 16:53.
Old 20.06.2013, 22:23
English Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
Let it fail and then tell me to download the jre version.
Provide the option, don't force me to spend 30 minutes downloading files I don't need.
I have brought this up with coalado couple months back, he said when JD2 goes final it will be done that way, but until then its done this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
Not really, business plans here are pretty cheap. I could write a page about local ISPs, but suffice it that I am paying twice what most people are in HK, while Speedtest shows me as in the bottom 5% of speed for the territory. Over the last 10 years the cost has doubled, while speed declines, as I'm in a rural area with limited upstream connection and more people connecting more devices all the time.
It's one of the tradeoffs for living in the countryside close to the beach.
There's a fibre connection coming sometime undetermined, but they're more interested in selling expensive 4G phone services than improving basic home broadband.
depends on the business plan they are not created equally, one which provide you with guaranteed 1:1 bandwidth and 99.9% uptime supply agreement cost loads more than entry level business plans, that's resold with no guarantee of available bandwidth and uptime. I was not referring to those. Well they do say mobile is the way of the future lol. For sure rural areas generally are the zones which get neglected as return on investment in those areas very slow to pay off. Only when government policy stipulates regional areas need to cost the same as metropolitan are there any benefit... only issue is the supply. Problem then is the metro area is subsidising more expensive areas and metro people don't like that so much. At least with NBN (National Broadband Network) in Australia this address all those issues you are facing.