JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 12.07.2012, 00:15
Giga Loader

Default JD's VM Size & CPU use too high!!

These issues may have been prev. discussed---I didn't exhaustively research in the archives of this forum, so if there are topical threads, just throw some links my way ... thx.
Anyway ...

When JD (my version: 0.9.581, with all the updates) is running, my two separate PC systems -- XP-Pro and Win 7 -based -- show massive CPU activity (80-90%) and VM Size is 483MB.
That makes both of these PCs very slow and "draggy". Any way around this? Are the latest version of JD more efficient?

Last edited by Jiaz; 12.07.2012 at 12:40.
Old 12.07.2012, 06:12
English Supporter

A typical fresh install will use less than 100MB RAM to load and run with a few hundred links. I run about 6000 Links in a old nightly test test version and it consumes about 150MB/RAM. Once you start hitting that 512 MB ram limit you've started to the upper limit of reserve HEAD space, you might need to allocate more by starting JDownloader by command line/shortcut,
javaw -jar jdownloader.jar -Xmx1024m

When you reach that upper limit the program and the OS swapping like mad to keep the programming running as you're out of memory allocation.

The latest version of JD (JDownloader 2) has had extensive rewrites and does consume less memory resources and rewrites to other components require less cpu cycles. Typically when your eating that much ram it tends to be because you have 1000's of links (virgin or completed downloads) within the download list. Each entry requires a memory allocation. To reduce memory use reduce your download list often by removing completed downloads. Do not use it as a 'history' of what you've been downloading as this doesn't work well for your memory requirement issues. CPU load it shouldn't chew that many cpu cycles, unless you are constantly downloading but also say using extracting addons. Want less cpu cycles my recommendation is turn off all auto extraction procedures, along with checksuming, but that would then mean you need to do these tasks yourself!

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 12.07.2012, 07:24
Giga Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
A typical fresh install will use less than 100MB RAM to load and run with a few hundred links. I run about 6000 Links in a old nightly test test version and it consumes about 150MB/RAM. Once you start hitting that 512 MB ram limit you've started to the upper limit of reserve HEAD space, you might need to allocate more by starting JDownloader by command line/shortcut,
javaw -jar jdownloader.jar -Xmx1024m

When you reach that upper limit the program and the OS swapping like mad to keep the programming running as you're out of memory allocation.

The latest version of JD (JDownloader 2) has had extensive rewrites and does consume less memory resources and rewrites to other components require less cpu cycles. Typically when your eating that much ram it tends to be because you have 1000's of links (virgin or completed downloads) within the download list. Each entry requires a memory allocation. To reduce memory use reduce your download list often by removing completed downloads. Do not use it as a 'history' of what you've been downloading as this doesn't work well for your memory requirement issues. CPU load it shouldn't chew that many cpu cycles, unless you are constantly downloading but also say using extracting addons. Want less cpu cycles my recommendation is turn off all auto extraction procedures, along with checksuming, but that would then mean you need to do these tasks yourself!

raztoki
Yes -- several-K links

Many don't work since the MU take-down (lotta file-hosts left us then!). I want to delete them from JD but I still want the list (= record) of them (along with their URL, Package/Filename, Status, etc.) Can I squeeze out an XLS or similar list (out of JD) and then get rid of them from JD?
Old 12.07.2012, 08:31
English Supporter

simple answer is no raw text list can be exported, nor can it in JD2. You can make a DLC, it saves link info and passwords within crypted volume. You can do a backup of jdownloader/config/ and then start deleting old stuff, revert config for backup history. that's the only way to keep a history without suffering issues with large download queue.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 14.07.2012, 14:25
Giga Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
simple answer is no raw text list can be exported, nor can it in JD2. You can make a DLC, it saves link info and passwords within crypted volume. You can do a backup of jdownloader/config/ and then start deleting old stuff, revert config for backup history. that's the only way to keep a history without suffering issues with large download queue.
I assume database.script is the 'main' file in jdownloader/config/ that contains the links ... and no way to edit or display in text editor?

BTW my database.script is ~14MB. Is that "too large"?
Old 14.07.2012, 14:37
Giga Loader

Okay, I deleted most of the links (down to a few 100) but that only reduced database.script to 9.4MB -- and CPU and VM issues are virtually unaffected.
Old 16.07.2012, 03:24
Giga Loader

I just updated JD (last updated in May), and even with most of those old links deleted, my VM is is up over 1GB ... the exact opposite what one would expect.

JD "support" or "development" team ... any clues?
Old 16.07.2012, 13:28
JD Manager

vm size with more than 512/640mb (default Xmx parameter) is a sign for memleak inside firewall/av. no unusual issue with some firewall/Av.
What exactly is the problem? JD may eat up to its max heap limit and thats okay.

if you want to use several thousand links, pleaes use the the pre-beta of jd2 for it
http://board.jdownloader.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50

old stable/nightly are not meant for so many links!