JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 14.07.2011, 19:00
BugMeNot Account

Default Auto-Compress downloaded files

Hello!

I will directly give you an example: I have 50 files to download totally :30 gb. But I have 28 GB free space on my hdd or usb (jdownloader is portable :D ) . How can i download the files ?

Solution:

JD must compress the files automatically like uncompress the (rar) files automatically. 7-zip is GPL licenced and works cross platform. Latest Sun Java can understand which platform is working at the moment. 7-zip is very small, fast, good, secure. So there is no any reason for JD to automaticallly compress and uncompress downloaded files if the user wants.

I read for 7Z integration on forums but you had not give any option for compress files. You always talk about uncompress the files.

I think if you add a feture to compress it is not difficult to compress the files.

Thank you!

Last edited by Jiaz; 15.07.2011 at 07:31.
Old 14.07.2011, 21:02
Da_Man

delete some of the files in the hd or buy a new drive
but i do understand what you mean, i have 8 2tb hdd and yet my free space now is only 100gb left :D

*CMIIW* but compressing the files, it will need temporary space so you cant compress 30gb files with only 28gb space, and if the files is already compressed it will not give you much more compression
Old 15.07.2011, 07:31
JD Manager

sorry, but this feature will not come!
Old 15.07.2011, 08:01
BugMeNot Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man View Post
delete some of the files in the hd or buy a new drive
but i do understand what you mean, i have 8 2tb hdd and yet my free space now is only 100gb left :D

*CMIIW* but compressing the files, it will need temporary space so you cant compress 30gb files with only 28gb space, and if the files is already compressed it will not give you much more compression
No i don't download one file as 28 GB. 28 GB is totally (for example of 50 video files). So when the one is finish, the compression will start, so we have always free space to compress it. If at the end some files will not compress because of temp free space problem it will log the errors.
If the files which are downloading are already compressed files, JD iwll not compress them ofcourse...
So the temp free space is not problem. Maybe at the end some of 2-3 files will not compress..
Old 15.07.2011, 09:55
remi

I can feel the pain when someone is running out of disk space.

If you're downloading uncompressed DVD files then you'll need to compress to XDIV or something similar. Compressing video files with a generic compressing tool like 7-Zip doesn't make much sense.

Setting the parameters for such video compression is not so easy and automation will be difficult.

It's better to ask the uploader to compress the video files before they are uploaded. I think the number of people still burning uncompressed DVDs is decreasing by the day as more advanced formats and video players are used. It always takes some time before uploaders understand that they have to adapt to technological progress.

Finally, don't give up your hope, because there is always the possibility that the Event Manager comes back.

See also
Old 15.07.2011, 13:02
cippazza

If your hdd file system is NTFS you may create a folder, right click on it, choose Properties , Advanced and set the "Compress .." attibute, and let JD download files in that folder.
In this way your files are automatically compressed.

bye
Old 15.07.2011, 19:43
BugMeNot Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cippazza View Post
If your hdd file system is NTFS you may create a folder, right click on it, choose Properties , Advanced and set the "Compress .." attibute, and let JD download files in that folder.
In this way your files are automatically compressed.

bye
I use Linux. My hdd is not ntfs. Even the usb that i use with portable JD. Sometimes i download some files out of home from my usb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I can feel the pain when someone is running out of disk space.

If you're downloading uncompressed DVD files then you'll need to compress to XDIV or something similar. Compressing video files with a generic compressing tool like 7-Zip doesn't make much sense.

Setting the parameters for such video compression is not so easy and automation will be difficult.

It's better to ask the uploader to compress the video files before they are uploaded. I think the number of people still burning uncompressed DVDs is decreasing by the day as more advanced formats and video players are used. It always takes some time before uploaders understand that they have to adapt to technological progress.

Finally, don't give up your hope, because there is always the possibility that the Event Manager comes back.

See also
I am not talking just about video files. Any type can be(except already compressed filetypes)...

Anyway Thank you!
Old 15.07.2011, 20:18
cippazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsy View Post
I use Linux. My hdd is not ntfs. Even the usb that i use with portable JD. Sometimes i download some files out of home from my usb.
then you may use compFUSED : h t t p ://freshmeat.net/projects/compf/

bye
Old 16.07.2011, 10:35
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsy View Post
I am not talking just about video files. Any type can be(except already compressed filetypes)...
I don't see any reason why uploaders would upload media files or documents that aren't compressed. It's just a waste of their bandwidth and that of all the people downloading those files.

I'll never download a .wav file because it usually is 3 times as big as the compressed lossless .ape file.

You have to tell those uploaders about their mistakes otherwise they'll continue repeating those mistakes.