JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 27.06.2016, 21:55
DSL Light User

Default JDownloader 2 memory leak.

For the past couple of weeks, JDownloader 2 has started frequently getting stuck due to enormous memory use. It gets so bad that it causes all the other programs on my computer to be sluggish because of the amount of memory it is using. I don't know why this is. It gets to the point that I sometimes have to forcefully stop JDownloader via the Windows Task Manager, something I hate to do because of the risks involved.

This problem usually starts after either downloading some files (usually multiples files in one package), but sometimes occurs after just using the linkgrabber.
Old 28.06.2016, 09:55
JD Manager

JDownloader does not have a memleak. It can only use max memory. If you say your whole system gets sluggish then it is very likely a memlean in firewall/av/other tool. For example we know that some av tools have issues with sparse files and killer network driver have a memleak , https://support.jdownloader.org/Know...emleak---crash

You can check about dialog of JDownloader to check how much memory java is max allowed to use
Old 28.06.2016, 10:04
DSL Light User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
JDownloader does not have a memleak. It can only use max memory. If you say your whole system gets sluggish then it is very likely a memlean in firewall/av/other tool. For example we know that some av tools have issues with sparse files and killer network driver have a memleak , **External links are only visible to Support Staff**...

You can check about dialog of JDownloader to check how much memory java is max allowed to use
When I check the Windows task manager during this problem, JDownloader is shown using large percentages of the memory and CPU (especially the CPU).

The about dialogue shows a maximum of only 235 MB for Java, but JDownloader is currently using over 270 MB (and it's not even stuck right now).
Old 28.06.2016, 10:11
JD Manager

270 mbyte is okay. How much memory does your system have?
Old 28.06.2016, 10:23
DSL Light User

Quote:
270 mbyte is okay.
True. But I think it starts to use more when the problem occurs. Truth be told, I was mostly just looking at the CPU stats (rather than the RAM stats) in Windows Task Manager during the times when the problem occured, so I don't know exactly how much RAM it was using at the time.
Quote:
How much memory does your system have?
8 GB. It's mainly the CPU usage that's the problem, though. It sometimes uses upwards of 70% of my CPU when the problem hits.
Old 28.06.2016, 10:25
JD Manager

Okay, then the reason is the very little memory for JDownloader. 230 max is only okay for light usage and not many links in list. You have to increase max memory for JDownloader. Open the existing .vmoptions file in your JDownloader folder and append/change the line

-Xmx512m

This means that JDownloader is allowed to use max 512mbyte
Old 28.06.2016, 10:32
DSL Light User

Quote:
Okay, then the reason is the very little memory for JDownloader. 230 max is only okay for light usage and not many links in list. You have to increase max memory for JDownloader. Open the existing .vmoptions file in your JDownloader folder and append/change the line

-Xmx512m

This means that JDownloader is allowed to use max 512mbyte
I edited the .vmoptions file as you recommended. I'll try out JDownloader again tomorrow, and I'll report back if I still have any problems.
Old 28.06.2016, 10:36
JD Manager

That should reduce cpu usage a lot. Depending on your usage you can also increase max memory more.
Old 13.11.2017, 19:49
Super Loader

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'JavaNativeException', reason: 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space'
specifically "MALLOC 270.6M 286 "
hxxps://pastebin.com/gLba4r9v

The above error looks like a memory leak to me. You probably mean the core doesn't have leaks but plugins do? Is there a simulation/reference plugin that is used to test for memory leaks? Or just blaming the VM instead? Memory leaks under special conditions can be difficult to track (when not using a debugger).

Last edited by darkfader; 13.11.2017 at 20:00.
Old 13.11.2017, 20:04
JD Manager

OutOfMemory does not mean there is a memleak. It also happens when you have higher workload/number of links than the allowed heap can handle
Please check About Dialog of JDownloader. It will show how much memory is in use and how much memory is possible to use by java.

To me it looks like your Mac installation suffers the known 256MB limited memory issue.
You have to edit your plist/vmoptions file to allow higher heap memory. 256MB is not enough for GUI + many links.
In your JDownloader Application you should find a .vmoptions list file, edit it and
remove any
-Xms
line and add
-Xmx1g
to it
Depending on age of your installation, this may also be set in plist file of your Application Launcher
Old 13.11.2017, 20:32
JD Manager

Would be nice if you could post a screenshot of about dialog, so I can see if I was right about limited heap