JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 10.06.2011, 20:34
Dexter_prog

Default jDownloader and memory leaks

So, even after installing the patch and the latest java JDK, jDownloader keeps leaking memory, specially after downloading lots of files. It starts at 100 mb and goes over 500 in some hours.

I also installed this fix, which didn't fix the leak: http://board.jdownloader.org/showthr...highlight=leak

Closing jDownloader releases the overused ram.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Windows 7 x64.

Last edited by Jiaz; 10.06.2011 at 22:35.
Old 10.06.2011, 22:35
JD Manager

thats no memory leak. jd is set to use max 512mb heap. so java vm will use memory when needed. the memory shown by taskmanager is java+jd+heap, so the real usage is a lot less and heap can decrease over time too.

also the next major update will contain many updates that reduce memory use noticable
Old 11.06.2011, 08:29
remi

@Dexter_prog

If you want jD to use less memory, use a 32 bits version of the JRE because jD doesn't needs a 64 bits version.

Also minimise jD's window and it will consume a fraction of the memory when it's open.
Old 14.06.2011, 03:48
Dexter_prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
thats no memory leak. jd is set to use max 512mb heap. so java vm will use memory when needed. the memory shown by taskmanager is java+jd+heap, so the real usage is a lot less and heap can decrease over time too.

also the next major update will contain many updates that reduce memory use noticable
But the problem is that it is not decreasing any time. This is after 1 day of using jDownloader non-stop (downloading):

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
@Dexter_prog

If you want jD to use less memory, use a 32 bits version of the JRE because jD doesn't needs a 64 bits version.

Also minimise jD's window and it will consume a fraction of the memory when it's open.
I am using the 32-bit version and most of the time it is minimized :/
Old 14.06.2011, 10:11
remi

Here are some other recommendations :-

1) decrease the number of links if you've many links in your download queue;

2) deactivate the extensions you don't use;

3) change the Style (theme).
Old 15.06.2011, 23:03
pmshah

I have a Zotac mini ITX Atom (dual core) + nVidia ION 2 GB system running Win 7, which is on 24/7 running uTorrent and sometimes IDM also. Occassionally I may use VLC player at the same time. In this situation memory usage never exceeds 70 %.

Then I subscribed to FileSonic premium which currently seems to be the most popular host. The downloading from this site never worked right. As per their recommendation I installed your software The experience was quite a shock. From having downloaded nearly 4 GB of data I could get only 2 useful files of 400 mb each. Rest was all garbage. The other nasty part of the experience was that the memory usage went up to 98 %.

I am attaching 2 files of the screen shots. Please study all parts of the screen shots to understand what I mean. This is from a different PC as I could not manage to do anything on my Atom system with 98 % memory usage, not even screenshots.

Most of the files were either corrupt and had Filesonic webpage at the beginning and some of them had to be abandoned with "File Not Found" response when the Filesonic site itself responded as "Available."

What gives?
Attached Thumbnails
jDownloader.jpg   filesonic_available.jpg  

Last edited by pmshah; 15.06.2011 at 23:07. Reason: Correcting typo.
Old 16.06.2011, 10:24
remi

Cool

First test your account in your browser. If your password contains special characters, please change it.

Allow java and javaw in your firewall and virus software. Disable (or un-install) the html/web download scanner in your virus software.

Then remove your account, restart jD, and add the account again.

If this wouldn't work, please provide (some example links and) a complete and detailed log.
Old 16.06.2011, 16:35
Dexter_prog

Quote:
Here are some other recommendations :-

1) decrease the number of links if you've many links in your download queue;

2) deactivate the extensions you don't use;

3) change the Style (theme).
So the number of links causes some memory links then? I have already disabled most extensions and the style was set to the 2D one, which seems to be the least flamboyant of all.
Old 17.06.2011, 09:29
remi

The more links you have in your download queue the more memory jD needs.

I've always the Windoze style and never had problems. Currently my jD uses 5 MB and it's downloading several files.

What's your JRE version?
Old 17.06.2011, 17:01
pmshah

I am downloading only 2 files and that too with only 2 streams each. My memory usage goes up to 98% in no time and then everything practically stops.

I am using the latest version of Firefox 3.6.17 (not 4.0). I can log into my account without any problems. jDownloader can simply NOT resume the download and it simply abandons the file.
Old 17.06.2011, 17:21
pmshah

I am downloading only 2 files and that too with only 2 streams each. My memory usage goes up to 98% in no time and then everything practically stops.

I am using the latest version of Firefox 3.6.17 (not 4.0). I can log into my account without any problems. jDownloader can simply NOT resume the download and it simply abandons the file.
Old 18.06.2011, 10:01
remi

What version of the JRE (java) are you using?

"98 % memory usage"

Reduce the Max.Con. setting (bottom right corner of jD window) to 1. Reset the affected links.

Try File -> Restore JD.

Quote:
If this wouldn't work, please provide (some example links and) a complete and detailed log.
Old 19.06.2011, 07:47
pmshah

Smile Found solution

I am running version 6 update 16.

Soon as I exit jDownloader the memory usage drops down to usual 58/60 %.

Anyways I have found another solution to downloading from Filesonic which can also handle dlc containers with ease. In fact all day yesterday and last night till late I experimented with downloading one 1.46 GB rar file from Filesonic. The download got interrupted at least 7 to 8 times due once to power outage of a couple of seconds, 4 to 5 times due to "File not found" response from Filesonic and a couple of times forced by me. This new found solution managed to resume the download every time. I first tested and then extracted the file - part pf a multi segment rar file - WITHOUT ANY ERRORS.

Over this weekend I will be experimenting and testing it further. It is of course not the most efficient downloader so far as band width utilization (around 90 %) nor is it as easy to use as IDM but with Utorrent and IDM downloads also proceeding simultaneously I have 100 % utilization.

I am HAPPY !

Last edited by pmshah; 19.06.2011 at 07:56. Reason: typo correction
Old 19.06.2011, 08:44
remi

Cool

I must have been heavily distracted when writing my previous post, because I didn't write what I had in mind.

"98 % memory usage" means that jD is using almost 512 MB of your RAM memory. This is the maximum default memory allocated to jD. This means your RAM memory is really small or you're running a buggy JRE.

In the latter case I would replace your JRE by the JRE 1.6 update 17 or update 21. See "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**.

Of course, due to the many power outages you're experiencing, downloading such big files is like playing with fire.

Last edited by remi; 20.06.2011 at 09:03. Reason: typo
Old 20.06.2011, 07:03
pmshah

Quote:
I must have been heavily distracted when writing my previous post, because I didn't write what I had in mind.

"98 % memory usage" means that jD is using almost 512 MB of your RAM memory. This is the maximum default memory allocated to jD. This means your RAM memory is really small or you're running a buggy JRE.

In the latter case I would replace your JRE by the JRE 1.6 update 17 or update 21. See "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**.

Of course, due to the many power outage you're experiencing, downloading such big files is like playing with fire.
I have 2 GB of ram and my system is running "Win 7 Ultimate x86" with latest updates. Apart from the basis system requirements of the OS, only other software running are uTorrent amd jDownloader. I may have VLC running at the same time.

I am going to follow your suggestion and update my jre to the latest version. I WILL report back my experience. However I did end up with situations where jDownloader was unable to resume downloads from Filesonic and had to abandon those partially downloaded files and start from scratch.