JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 21.10.2013, 18:07
cakezero

Default Please switch GUI to match JD1

No disrespect intended to those devs working on this free software but the GUI on JD2 sucks.

It takes more mouse clicks just to get things done with features buried away under sub menus and other buttons.

You get spammed with messages constantly about adding links.

Useful buttons like the stop after current downloads and quickly clean all links are gone, the arrow buttons to move items only works if you select each individual package.

JD1 worked a lot swoman than JD2, I think people wouldn't be clinging to JD1 so much if JD2 at least operated the same way.
Old 21.10.2013, 18:15
Spanish Supporter

1. You can customize the right click menu
2. You can disable the bubble notify
3. The spot marks still are there. To clean, see the broom, and the arrow to the right side of the broom. The arrow buttons works as expect.

Installer for Windows XP/Vista/Seven/Eight
|| JD2 x86 - x64 (Beta) ||

Installer for Mac
|| JD2 (Beta) ||

Installers for Linux
|| JD2 (Beta) x86 || <---> || JD2 (Beta) x64 ||

How to Create a Log
-» Click Here «-

¿Cómo crear un registro?
-» Click Aquí «-

Support Chat / Chat de Soporte
-» Click Here / Click Aquí «-

Old 02.02.2014, 00:35
gonwk

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakezero View Post
No disrespect intended to those devs working on this free software but the GUI on JD2 sucks. ...
I am with you CakeZero ... JD2 almost feels like Windows Crap ... every upgrade gets worse ...

BTW, the reason I chose to go with JD over IDM was the fact I found IDM Too Intrusive and Hard to Manuver also ...

I don't know which one is JD1 ... but I like JD 0.9.581 version ... You have More Control ...

1) I like to Manually Add my Links to the "LinkGrabber" page ... then from there I choose which one to Push to "Download" page ...

2) Also what I like about that GUI ... I can SEE and Choose How Many Max DLs I like to Allow ... If I am on Slow Connection ... choose 1 ... if I am at friends home with Faster DL Speeds ... then I choose 2-3 DLs ...

So, on and on the Old GUI is the Winner Hands Down!

Thanks,

G!
Old 02.02.2014, 16:50
Community Manager

Please add detailed critics so we might be able to help you guys

GreeZ psp

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 04.02.2014, 03:52
gonwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspzockerscene View Post
Please add detailed critics so we might be able to help you guys

GreeZ psp
Hi PSP,

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply here ... please see my comments #1 & #2 from above post ^^ as what I like to see if it possible in JD2 GUI ...

The darn GUI is hard for me to figure out ( me Stupid I suppose )

Anyway, PSP ... is there a Dummy-Proof Guide for JD2 GUI ... the WIKI refers to the Original GUI ... So!

Thanks for all of You People Help!

G!
Old 04.02.2014, 10:20
English Supporter

This seems like another lack of understanding of how the interface can be configured to suit ones needs/desire.

JD2 GUI and functions are highly configurable, please check out Settings > User Interface || bubbles || Advanced. We wont be changing the GUI in any significant manner from what it is now.

The online reference materials will be present within our new website once JD2 goes final.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]

Last edited by raztoki; 05.02.2014 at 01:57. Reason: fixed nickgrish
Old 04.02.2014, 21:21
McFrog

@gonwk
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwk View Post
I am with you CakeZero ... JD2 almost feels like Windows Crap ... every upgrade gets worse ...
Cool down - start thinking first

Quote:
1) I like to Manually Add my Links to the "LinkGrabber" page ... then from there I choose which one to Push to "Download" page ...
As to 'manually adding links' in JD2 absolutely nothing has changed in comparison to JD1 (or '0.9.581 version' as you named it correctly). You still have the choice to use clipboard monitoring as well as an 'add links'-button.

To move just single or selected links to the download page use the right-click-menu. There you'll find a command called 'add only selected'. If you don't like it's position (i wanted it more on top) use the menu-manager and push it wherever you want it.

Quote:
2) Also what I like about that GUI ... I can SEE and Choose How Many Max DLs I like to Allow ... If I am on Slow Connection ... choose 1 ... if I am at friends home with Faster DL Speeds ... then I choose 2-3 DLs ...
Even this is only a misunderstanding i.e. a lack of configuration. Seems that you still need to get used to the configuration-options of JD2.

But to be honest - when i changed to JD2, in the beginning i was as distressed as you are

At the bottom of the download page you can see the download overview. If not use the 'settings'-button (tools-symbol bottom right). I don't know how it's named in english (german configuration on my side) but it must be called 'show overview' or something like that.

If this overview is shown and you still can't find the options missed, use the configuration of the overview (left of the 'X' to close it - the button looks like a little spanner). Don't know how it's named in english as well, but you need to activate the 6th option in the list. Should be named like 'show quick set-up' or so.

After that you will see (and will be able to adjust) the speed limit, max. number of downloads, max. chunks and max. simultaneous downloads per hoster.

After all it should look like this:
Spoiler:

Hope this helps

Regards
McFrog
Attached Thumbnails
DownloadOverview.jpg  
Old 04.02.2014, 21:37
Community Manager

If you guys wqant, you can make suggestions for better default settings BUT keep in mind that our goal is NOT to make JD2 look like JD1.
It should be easy to use AND "old" users should have the chances to configure it the way they want d.h.if they want it to look/feel like JD1, they can configure it.

Note that once JD2 becomes final, we will make a FAQ which will answer all questions for users switching from JD1 to JD2...because in the end, there will be a forced update from JD1 to JD2 for all users and backward plugin compatibility for JD1 will end!
The FAQ should then asnwer questions like "where can I find the max.con and max.dls. settings in JD2?" or "How can I enable/disable the download overview?".

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 05.02.2014, 05:07
gonwk

Smile

Hi folks,

Wow ... You guys are the Best ... Thanks raztoki, McFrog & psp ...

@ raztoki, Thanks for the Tip ... but I checked my Portable version ... it has Settings ... and usual Left Pane Window for Customization of different functions ... but I did Not see a Specific Entry for "User Interface" heading as you mentioned in your tip ...
Settings > User Interface || bubbles || Advanced.

@ McFrog, Thanks So Much for taking the time and Explaining it further more ... I think Your explanation above Cleared much more for me ... and definitely the Screenshot helped a lot.
Hey McFrog BTW, I wish I could Speak & Write 1/10th as good as you in German!

So may be you guys can help with few more Questions ...

Q1: Can I run 2 Versions JD 0.9.581 and JD2 "Portable" on the same computer?

Q2: I can NOT find a Portable (Self-Contained) version of JD2?
I don't want to install it on my C:\ Drive ... I want to run it from any folder I chose. Then one Portable version that I found (JDownloaderPortable2Build19096) it wants a Folder with No Spaces in it's name ... so Basically is asking me to run it either from Desktop or the Root C:\ ... so, basically beats my purpose.

And on top of that this Portable version it just can NOT get updated and right off the back says ... "Do you really want to Exit" .. when I have not even asked to get out ... so something is screwey about it ...

Q3: On JD 0.9.581 ... I have the following at the Bottom Bar ...
Max. Con. = 2
Max. Dl. = 2 (at moment)
Speed = 0

So, what confuses me in JD2 is the "Chunk" deal ... what is Chunk equal to ... is it same as Connection or Dowload Link ... or is it something Totally Different?

Thanks again!

G!

Last edited by gonwk; 05.02.2014 at 23:02.
Old 05.02.2014, 06:21
English Supporter

A1: yes

A2: Our installers provide short-cuts/file associations (DLC, etc), you can disable the shortcuts/file associations in the installer. JD2 install is portable as in we provide all the necessary dependencies (Java Runtime Environment)! JD0.9 and JD2 stores all it's files in one location, within the 'installation directory'. You can copy that installation directory to any location and it will work (file associations/shortcuts will no longer work, assuming you enabled them originally.). Theirs zero need for a 'portable' version from a 3rd party provider what so ever! You could also copy the JDownloader.jar to a new path and run it, it will re-download all required components, but what you wont get is the binaries associated with a given installer (JDownloaer2.exe etc).

A3: chunking is parts of files. so equivalent to 'max con per file'

Last edited by raztoki; 05.02.2014 at 08:24. Reason: refinement
Old 05.02.2014, 15:57
McFrog

Quote:
If you guys wqant, you can make suggestions for better default settings BUT keep in mind that our goal is NOT to make JD2 look like JD1.
Hi psp!

You are the 'first defensive line' here so you will have to admit, that there are a lot of questions, problems and discussions coming up, which finally lead to the cognition, that there are no bugs or missing functions. The users just don't find what they need (especially not where they are used to find it in JD1).

I agree with you concerning questions like 'why do i find ... at the bottom now? I liked it better in the menu-bar where it was before'. But almost 30 years as a developer and project-manager helped me to learn a lot as to design upgrades or new versions of software. IMHO you should think about the following:
  • JD1 is a strong going program with millions of installations and users.
  • The development to make JD1 the success it is took years - years of experience, knowledge and enhancements with the help of the community-feedback.
  • There's no need to throw it all away. The lessons learned in the past are your most important and valuable assets.

I know that developers often tend to handle previous versions like a 'piece of shit' because it's not their own baby. But if they act this way, they should better go back to the sandbox and play. If there is no improvement or technical reason for a change, you should always try to keep things 'as is'.

If you disable and move standard-functions, that are regularly needed and were 'always on top and visible' in JD1, to a sub-sub-sub-menu, this means forcing millions of users to search for them and to configure JD2 (and means millions of swearings as well). So in my opinion the default settings should always provide a JD2 'looking as much like JD1 as possible'. Or at least assure, that the user can find the things he is used to without endless searches and configurations.

Same thing with (sub)menu-commands. In JD2 there is a huddle of functions (especially in the right-click-menus of the linkgrabber) that are given other names, even new icons and - to make matters worse - additionally are moved to other places or even sub-menus. There is absolutely no logical or technical need for those changes and each and every like (sorry) like this turns millions of users nuts.

So if there is no technical requirement or at least a little improvement, that leads to a change or a new design, you should always try to keep the look and feel of JD1. It was developed over years, is well-proven and millions of users are used to it's handling.

Reducing the changes to the necessary will help the users to concentrate on the handling of the new features of JD2. This way they will be able to see and enjoy the progress from the beginning of it's usage. If they all have to search first for the things they miss, they will be angry before they have a chance to see the benefits.

There is no need to prove, that JD2 is a new development by nonsensically changing as much as possible - even if the developer thinks it's smarter or way more beautiful (what might be discussed). What would you think, if Mercedes, Toyota, Volkswagen ... would come up with the idea of finding a new place and design for the blinker-switch in every new car they develop. Even if it looks more modern or sophisticated...

Maybe developers too often forget, that they don't just work for themselves. There are a few people out there, that have to deal with the things they do. And not just what they do, but even the way they do it.

Sorry guys - nonetheless you do a real great job. Just don't be so vain...

Just my 2 cents
McFrog
Old 05.02.2014, 17:39
Community Manager

No problems with critics but you're wrong: We are not just changing stuff to make it look newer.
Even in the past we tried different designs and sometimes got "shitstorms" for that but okay, we've learned from that and changed things.
So we do with JD2.
If there are any significantly bad changes from our side, users will eventually change it and we will react.
We cannot just look into the future.

Keep in mind that we also have more settings = more icons now so we had to make sure that similar settings have the same icons - keep it consistent.
Also users now have the ability to change icons and to use custom icons - I don't see anything bad here.

JD2 is not done yet and one it is, we will try to make better default context menus but till then it's up to you guys - and anyways, the menus are configurable so you can complain about the default settings but everything else is up to you.

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 05.02.2014, 23:00
gonwk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
... A2: Our installers provide short-cuts/file associations (DLC, etc), you can disable the shortcuts/file associations in the installer. JD2 install is portable as in we provide all the necessary dependencies (Java Runtime Environment)! JD0.9 and JD2 stores all it's files in one location, within the 'installation directory'. You can copy that installation directory to any location and it will work (file associations/shortcuts will no longer work, assuming you enabled them originally.). Theirs zero need for a 'portable' version from a 3rd party provider what so ever! You could also copy the JDownloader.jar to a new path and run it, it will re-download all required components, but what you wont get is the binaries associated with a given installer (JDownloaer2.exe etc). ...
Hi folks,

@ raztoki ... Thanks for Great Explanation ... just to be sure that I understood you ...

So, I can take the latest JD2 Install link from PSP Sigline and run it ...

1) The JD2 will Install on my C:\ Direcetory
2) Then I can take that Folder and Copy it to wherever that I want on my Hard Drive
3) I then can UNINSTALL that JD2 from my C:\ Drive using ADD/Remove program
4) And my newly Portable JD2 will work just fine and I can get the Updates and what not ...

Do I have it correctly!

Thanks again!

G!
Old 05.02.2014, 23:33
Community Manager

Yap, just make sure Java is with it / installed

GreeZ psp

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 07.02.2014, 04:00
gonwk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yap, just make sure Java is with it / installed

GreeZ psp

Hi PSP

Wow ... Thanks a lot man ... I downloaded the Full Installer from your Sigline (btw, the Only way to go) ... ran it thru VirusTotal, just for my peace of mind ... from 50 AV only 1 had a Warning (TrendMicro) which I looked and looked online and it seems to be a False Positive ...

Installed as you folks suggested ... then copied the entire Folder to a different location ... and it works as Portable ... THANKS!

So, I deleted the 3rd party Portable versions ...

I also decided to leave JD 2.0 where I installed it ... no sense of sweating it.

Now I gotta use the above tips to learn JD 2.0 Beta.

Thanks again all of you for your help!

G!
Old 07.02.2014, 04:44
English Supporter

Enjoy!