JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 22.08.2021, 04:10
Modem User

Default Synology permissions

Since jdownloader runs as root on synology, all the files it creates are owned by root and not by any of the groups that contain actual users.

How can I correct this problem so that files are owned by users that actually have login privileges?

Also, I don’t love that the app runs with root privileges, just as a matter of best practices that’s kind of a no-no… any comments on that?

Last edited by CharlieKelly; 22.08.2021 at 08:28.
Old 24.08.2021, 15:39
JD Manager

@CharlieKelly: JDownloader itself doesn't require root but it's most easiest for *normal* users when they don't know about ownership/groups/permissions.
Especially on NAS devices it's more *complex* to use different users as you have to make sure that samba/networkshare configurations are still working so the
"JDownloader" user can read/write into downloadfolder AND the samba/network user can read/write them.

1.) you can modify start script to set a different umask for new created files/folders, so normal users can access/delete them, still they are user/group root
2.) you can use Eventscripter, see https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=70525, and use a script that chmod the downloaded/extracted files to different user afterwards. In doubt or need help, contact mgpai and ask him for hints/help.
3.) you can modify the start script to run JDownloader as different user, but then also have to take care about all folders ownership/group/permissions and also make sure the user is allowed to read/write into download folder and that the samba/networkshare configuration still allows to access those files.

In case you need help/got questions, just let us know!
Old 22.09.2021, 08:37
Modem User

Modifying the startup would be my preference. I’d rather assign group permissions to downloaded files. I’m unclear on how jdownloader starts up on synology, though. The device uses upstart, not systemd but beyond that I don’t know how the jdownloader package launches itself.

And help locating/modifying the startup script would be appreciated.
Old 22.09.2021, 10:32
JD Manager

@CharlieKelly: Depends how you setup JDownloader
DSM6 and community netzbär package, then you should find the start script in
/var/packages/JDownloader.../scripts/start-stop-script

for manual installation, see the way you autostart JDownloader, for example
https://support.jdownloader.org/Know...s-installation