JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 19.01.2012, 14:47
grzegorj

Default Problems with Google Books: each page goes to a separate directory

Hello,
I have reported three problems with Google Books on the Polish forum and I was sent to Bugtracker. However, these are three different problems, and I feel they should be regarded separately. Moreover, I have not found anything on the problems on the Bugtracker, so I have decided to place these three threads, one for each problem. Sorry if you feel my behaviour is annoying, it is not my intention at all.

So the first problem is as follows. When JDownloader catches a link from Google Books, each single page of the book is placed in a separate directory (PA0001, PA0002 and so on). I feel this is an error. It would be expected if all pages were placed in the same directory automatically.

Because of such a manner, it is not possible to add two or more addresses at once to JDownloader. You must add one address, then move it to the list of downloads, and only next you may add another book. I think it is not what a user of the program would expect.

An example of a book which is fully available from Google and behaves as described:
**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

Thanks!
Old 19.01.2012, 14:55
grzegorj

Default Problems with Google Books: cannot download PDF's

Some books are offered complete by Google. An example is:
**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

A PDF link is available then:

Unfortunately, JDownloader reports this file as not found, even if you can easily download it with any browser.

It would be expected that JDownloader could download such a file just as a browser can.

Thanks!
Old 19.01.2012, 15:20
grzegorj

Default Problems with Google books: very slow download

While you try to download a Google book which is partially available, you can download only several pages for a time. JDownloader says that the file is unavailable. But if you leave the program for many hours, you can download somehow several pages. As a result, you need a month or even a year to download all the pages which are available.

However, any browser (MSIE, Firefox, Opera, or Chrome) allows you to browse most part of the pages without any problems. And even more, Firefox allows you to record them as well: three pages at once, the current, the previous and the next one (when you save the page as html). So, if JDownloader used the same download procedure as (any) browser, the speed of downloading of the book would increase many times.

This is true that some pages are blocked by Google even if they are available at all. JDownloader can pass this blocking somehow, while browsers cannot do it normally (if you do not use Tor or some hacker's methods). However, it is possible to find pages with partially available Google books which are not blocked, ex.

So, it is possible to view all available pages without waiting and without being blocked by Google. But viewing means nothing but placing the pages in the browser's cache. So, downloading them is possible as well. It would be excellent if JDownloader could download Google books, using two mechanisms at the same time: the present one, slow but resistant to blocking, and the mechanism implemented in browsers, which allows to view the pages without waiting, especially from the outer pages (like the quoted one on turklib.ru).

This is just an idea for JDownloader programmers: make the program compatible to browsers, let it be able to download Google books like browsers can.

Thank you so much for your attention, and once again, do not be angry if the problem seems to be too annoying.

Grzegorz J.
Old 20.01.2012, 11:44
remi

This idea has been coming up several times during jD's history. Also recently with the transparent proxy blocking problem. I was very surprised myself that standard browsers seem to be immune for it while jD can't take that hurdle.

The same with plug-ins. At the moment they break as soon as the corresponding site is changed slightly or the JavaScript code is changed. Browsers have no problem at all, but jD needs to be updated and it certainly takes a toll on its programmers.

I think a JS engine will be included in the next release of jD and that might already solve your problem and that of the brittleness of the other plug-ins. Further details can certainly be obtained from jD's programmers.
Old 20.01.2012, 13:42
Polish Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
The same with plug-ins. At the moment they break as soon as the corresponding site is changed slightly or the JavaScript code is changed. Browsers have no problem at all, but jD needs to be updated and it certainly takes a toll on its programmers.
In browser case - user has to tell it what to do: select link, download, save etc, because browser doesn't work automatically. So the browser doesn't really need to know about any changes because the user always decide what to do.
The plugin however is written to automate user's action so every change on the page makes it broken because it can't recognize new "state" of the page.
This is why the developers prefer the hosters with the APIs - no matter what is changed at the page - plugin should work, because it uses internal hoster's function/procedures for the specific action. Of course when the hoster's programmers mess with their API (without informing developers of the 3rd party apps) - this can also broke the plugin (filesonic 3-4 months ago).
Old 20.01.2012, 13:58
remi

I understand the case with the HMI changes, but I intended to refer more to the JS (internal/invisible) changes, but was to fast.

We saw those JS problems years ago with the zippyshit plug-in. That site would always update its JS because it could count on the delay in jD's publishing process. With a JS engine and more browser integration ( don't ask me how as I'm a simple, and total ass - according to raztoki ) this would be a problem from the past.
Old 22.01.2012, 00:53
Community Manager

1.We got a JS engine in the current Stale, it's just not as easy as you might think
2.Merging google books threads...

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?