JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 08.06.2011, 15:35
cuzz

Default Speed extremely slow toward the end of a download

I Live in Australia and i am on cable with a max download speed of around 2.25mb/sec. In order to reach this speed i need at least 15 "max connections per file", per download. All is well during the download, as the connections max out to 15 and i'm able to download at 2.25mb/sec.

However, toward the end of downloading a file, for example, the last 20mb of a 200mb file, the connections in JDownloader drop from 15 slowly down to 1, before the file has completed downloading. I'm assuming this is built into the program in order to close connections. However, for me at least, this causes the download to drastically slow down, from 2mb/sec to 50kb/sec and lower. Basically, if it takes 5 mins to download 180 mb, it will then take 20 minutes to download that last 20 mb.

Is there anyway to stop JDownloader from reducing max connections toward the end of the file? If not, is there any other solution i can implement to stop this problem from occurring? (Im pretty sure its an inherited problem with cable / my location (australia)).

ps: This occurs on many hosters, filesonic, fileserve and depositfiles, with only 1 download active.

Last edited by Jiaz; 09.06.2011 at 09:03.
Old 08.06.2011, 15:51
JD Manager

can you give more information of firewall/av/os/java version

the slow end of download is caused because jdownloader can only use static chunks at the moment. its on my todo list to add support for dynamic chunks, so jd can start new chunks when others are finished
Old 08.06.2011, 16:34
cuzz

antivirus: AVG anti virus
jdownloader nightly version
no firewall
windows 7 x64
java ver6 update24 later updated to 26, still occurring

Although it doesnt drop to 50kbsec range on all downloads, the speed reduction is often substantial and in my opinion worth looking into as u mentioned.
Old 09.06.2011, 11:02
remi

Allow java and javaw in your firewall and virus software. Disable (or un-install) the html/web download scanner in your virus software.

You can avoid this speed problem by starting several downloads from the same host simultaneously and by using 1 or very few connections per download (Max. Con.).
Old 09.06.2011, 13:56
cuzz

Decent suggestion, however, if i set my max connections to 1 or very few, each download will download at an unacceptable speed, 200kb/sec range, and if im downloading only one file and not several files, its just too slow.
Old 10.06.2011, 09:16
remi

Cool

That's why you need to download several files simultaneously. Free loaders can't do that - it's a feature for people who pay for downloading.
Old 12.12.2011, 22:16
cuz09

It's definitely related to JDownloaders inability to download dynamic chunks. According to a post by Jiaz, dynamic chunk support is meant to be part of the next "downloadcore". This post was more than 6 months ago.

Is there an estimated time-frame for the release of this feature? When can we expect dynamic chunk support? Will it be pushed out via nightly builds first, or will it require a new base install from the website?
Old 13.12.2011, 09:37
remi

Cool

As far as I understand Jiaz' posts #38 and #40 about the ETA for the next Nightly release, a test version will be released around the 9th of January.
Old 08.01.2012, 00:11
Wind Gust

I'm having great trouble with Fileserve. It is nearly as bad as being a free user.

Will there be a core update on monday to enable dynamic packets?
Old 08.01.2012, 03:33
English Supporter

At this stage it will be an alpha release and not a beta (nightly). But it will be usable (stable enough to use) just not all feature additions + code changes will been implemented/completed yet. Dynamic chunking hasn't been implemented as of yet, but parts of the framework has.

Our Next Major Version will require a new install (new config system and it's not transferable). It will be also optimised for java 1.7.

@cuzz
is that 2.2MegaBytes / sec or Megabit? Either way I would have thought you should be able to max out your connection with less connections than that. Try running less max con per file and more max dl. I recommend 4 4 0 which allows better distribution of chunksize with less chance of one part holding back the next download from starting, which effectively what happens with 15 1 0.

@faiakes
No core updates are been made to current stable/beta's you will need to wait for the next major update.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]

Last edited by raztoki; 08.01.2012 at 04:04.
Old 11.01.2012, 23:02
Wind Gust

Any idea when the next core update is going to take place?
Old 12.01.2012, 01:32
English Supporter

Well since your question is about dymanic chunking and that doesn't have a working implementation yet. Just wait until it happens, as we haven't even publicly released an alpha version nor beta let along stable. This will be some time yet.. My guesstimate ~3months or more for beta

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 12.01.2012, 09:59
remi

@Faiakes

I don't think dynamic chunking will come in the next release of jD. I don't even expect it this year because most of the bugs need to be removed from the next release before it can become a stable release and that will take a lot of time.

Note also that the dynamic chunking feature isn't registered in the features tracker. That means that it isn't a top priority.
Old 14.01.2012, 14:38
Wind Gust

Hmmmm

I'm willing to wait 3 months but not a year.

As a Fileserve customer I am finding the use of jDownloader inadequate.

I have to micromanage every single FS download. I have a 6.2MB/s (that is correct) connection and I end downloading multiple parts at under 100KB/s :(

My experience is not perceptibly affected but whatever other bugs you have identified, just the lack of dynamic chunking.

In any case, thank you for your efforts, it is a free program after all.
Old 14.01.2012, 15:02
Community Manager

Sorry there is nothing we can do right now.
Note that you still have the option of using filserves own downloadmanager which is probably...not very good

GreeZ psp

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 15.01.2012, 10:58
remi

LOL. Yes, try Ricky's download mismanager.

@Faiakes

If you've an account, please try the recommendation in post #4.
Old 17.01.2012, 19:20
Wind Gust

I have tried all sorts of combinations between Max. Con. and Max. Dls and nothing seems to produce a consistent result.

I am running no firewall other than Windows 7's.
Up until now javaw 64bit was the only entry on the list (inbound rules), I have now added java 32 & 64 bit, but I don't think it has made a difference.

I am running Avira free, which I don't think offers html/web protection.

:P the funny think it that the FS manager is worse!!!:outch:
It too appears not to have dynamic packet handling ability. I have asked them and I'm waiting for a response.
Old 17.01.2012, 21:38
Freeloader

avira has a web scanner it actually has two guard settings > java and javaw has to be allowed through both of them.

thats only one of them and if you look carefully at the 2nd image there is also a web guard option

Last edited by Freeloader; 17.01.2012 at 22:14.
Old 18.01.2012, 09:39
remi

That looks like rocket science or is it Chinese?
Old 19.01.2012, 18:40
Wind Gust

Exceptions added (thanks for instructions) but no difference.
Old 20.01.2012, 09:52
remi

Cool

I would un-install the virus and reboot your computer. It's possible you need special removal software and registry cleaners to remove it completely.

Last edited by raztoki; 20.01.2012 at 14:07.
Old 20.01.2012, 21:32
Wind Gust

Hmmmm...I doubt.

The problem existed before and recently I had an upgrade with a new install of Win7 (unless you're saying that any anti-virus/Avira will always cause problems to jDownloader.
Old 21.01.2012, 09:38
remi

Having speed issues? read this!

If you mean you had the problem before you installed the virus, then I would speculate that Ricky doesn't want to become the biggest host (and then be attacked by the FBI) by applying the techniques of mismanagement. Why don't you contact Ricky directly if you're complaining about his bad service?
Old 21.01.2012, 09:58
Wind Gust

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
Having speed issues? read this!

If you mean you had the problem before you installed the virus, then I would speculate that Ricky doesn't want to become the biggest host (and then be attacked by the FBI) by applying the techniques of mismanagement. Why don't you contact Ricky directly if you're complaining about his bad service?
Hi remi

I assume Ricky is someone from Fileserve?

I don't think I have general speed issues. RS and jD max out my connection every time. It's FS and jD that don't play well together.

An FS download will start well nearly maxing my connection and progressively slow down to under 100KB/s. But it makes sense if it is lack of dynamic packet handling on part of jD.
Old 21.01.2012, 10:52
remi

Yes Ricky is FSe. He's probably driving a Mercedes Benz.

If you're using multiple connections per download it's normal that your speed degrades near the end of the download as jD doesn't support dynamic chunking.

If you want to optimise your speed an compensate for the dynamic chunking, download multiple files simultaneously and set "Max. Con." to 1.
Old 21.01.2012, 19:07
Wind Gust

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
Yes Ricky is FSe. He's probably driving a Mercedes Benz.

If you're using multiple connections per download it's normal that your speed degrades near the end of the download as jD doesn't support dynamic chunking.

If you want to optimise your speed an compensate for the dynamic chunking, download multiple files simultaneously and set "Max. Con." to 1.
Hmmm, that is the best possible combo.

It still a bit of hit & miss. I am monitoring a large download as we speak and with Max.Con set to 1, and 3 downloads, overall download speed fluctuates between 4-5MB/s. Still, better than 300KB/s.

Thanks

Last edited by Faiakes; 22.01.2012 at 18:11.