JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Go Back   JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH > English Support > General Discussion

Old 06.10.2009, 17:17
alacard

Default Memory leak

pc stats

Intel Duo Core 2 2.9
4gig's of ram
1 Tera hard drive x2
Windows 7 RTM
Java version 1.6.0_15
Jdownloader vsrion 0.8.821

when ever i open jdownloader it starts with 126k ram used
but after about 5-10 min of downloading u can sit there and watch it go up.
it can get as high as 3.5 gigs of ram being used and want stop. that if i have the main window open or in the system tray.

if u need anymore info. will be happy to supply, thx inadvance

Last edited by Jiaz; 06.10.2009 at 17:49.
Old 06.10.2009, 17:49
JD Manager

do you use 64bit os? if so , thats the cause of it

there are known java and win7 problems with 64bit os, also remember win7 is not fully supported by java at the moment
Old 06.10.2009, 18:32
james3

@alacard

could you try this please

open JD full screen and bring up the windows task manager, highlight javaw.exe in the Processes tab and click the Minimise button in the top right of JD, you might have to do this a couple of times

does this release the memory usage?

this works in XP 32bit but I'm unsure if it does in W7 64bit
Old 07.10.2009, 16:47
alacard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
do you use 64bit os? if so , thats the cause of it

there are known java and win7 problems with 64bit os, also remember win7 is not fully supported by java at the moment
Yes it is 64bit os, ill try google and see if they have any java beta's for W7 64bit

@james3

No didnt work but thanks for the tip will have to remember that if I have the same problem on my xp pc.

Edit: found a beta version of **External links are only visible to Support Staff**java (Java SE Runtime Environment 7 Preview Release, Milestone 4) that seems to fix the memory leak, been running jdownloader for 8+ hours with milestone 4 with no problems

Last edited by alacard; 08.10.2009 at 05:30.
Old 26.10.2009, 17:46
Squished Squirrel

I'm encountering a memory leak with 0.9.246 on OSX 10.4.11 PPC with all available Java updates as provided by Apple (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306)

What I have found is that the memory leak only occurs if the Download tab is in front. If the download tab is in front, memory is gobbled up at about 177MB/hour. (It grew to 1GB in 6 hours before I noticed.)

If I simply pick another tab, like settings, to be in front, memory usage doesn't seam to grow. Switching to another tab doesn't release the memory that has been lost, it simply stops the bleeding.

This was with a multipart rapidshare download, if that makes a difference.
Old 05.11.2009, 05:25
JD English Support (inactive)

I have been running JD 0.9.421 and the memory leak is worse than it was in Pinky_5. I am seeing memory increases even when the program is minimized.

I did try the trick of minimizing and maximizing JD, but after about 10 times per JD tab, there was no memory returned.

I am downloading the newest Java version for Windows (Java EE 5 SDK Update 8 (with JDK 6 U17) for Windows, English). I will see if that makes a difference.
Old 05.11.2009, 09:15
remi

Cool

I'm running jD v.0.9.334 and I'm not seeing any difference with previous versions, except my little beautiful jD v.0.4.936 that only needs around 10 MB, i.e., on average two to four times less than more recent versions.
Old 05.11.2009, 12:46
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
I have been running JD 0.9.421 and the memory leak is worse than it was in Pinky_5. I am seeing memory increases even when the program is minimized.

I did try the trick of minimizing and maximizing JD, but after about 10 times per JD tab, there was no memory returned.

I am downloading the newest Java version for Windows (Java EE 5 SDK Update 8 (with JDK 6 U17) for Windows, English). I will see if that makes a difference.
what os?
i need more information on that, what os, what theme? how many links in downloadlist.
Old 05.11.2009, 12:47
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I'm running jD v.0.9.334 and I'm not seeing any difference with previous versions, except my little beautiful jD v.0.4.936 that only needs around 10 MB, i.e., on average two to four times less than more recent versions.
please update
Old 07.11.2009, 12:35

Sorry to be so late getting back to you. I am on to a different problem.

However, I am on Windows XP sp3, up to date patches and IE 8. Java 6u16 just updated to 6u17 (no help). I found out that one has to install the JRE. Installing the JDK doesn't set the system JAVAPATH, so the old Java is used.

I am one of the hogs with 19630 links. Using a variety of hosts (all as a free user). I use the "Windows style". I assume this is the JRE's built-in theme (chrome). Next time I will attach a log for you.

-------------

Right now, JD comes up, but will not begin transfer. Do you know where I ask questions about / report that one?

Again, 6u16 and 6u17 are both the same here.
Old 07.11.2009, 15:13
JD Manager

Quote:
Sorry to be so late getting back to you. I am on to a different problem.

However, I am on Windows XP sp3, up to date patches and IE 8. Java 6u16 just updated to 6u17 (no help). I found out that one has to install the JRE. Installing the JDK doesn't set the system JAVAPATH, so the old Java is used.

I am one of the hogs with 19630 links. Using a variety of hosts (all as a free user). I use the "Windows style". I assume this is the JRE's built-in theme (chrome). Next time I will attach a log for you.

-------------

Right now, JD comes up, but will not begin transfer. Do you know where I ask questions about / report that one?

Again, 6u16 and 6u17 are both the same here.
open new bugreport and attach screenshots and logfiles and information about system, firewall and so on
Old 07.11.2009, 15:14
JD Manager

also note that its known that some firewall/antivirus are known to cause memleaks because of their onlinescanning tools
Old 09.11.2009, 14:27
starphoenix

Hi,

sorry for my bad english.
I installed Windows 7 32bit , java 6u17 and jd v 0.9.579 and I have the same problem : whenever i use Jd, memory usage increases from 35-40 % to 95-100% in less than 2 hours and my pc freezes.
Even when I use jd but i don't download anything memory usage increases.

I had the same configuration but Windows Xp Sp3 and no problem at all.

I tried Windows 7 64 bit,java 6u15 and 6u16 ,i ran Jd in windows Xp Sp3 compatibilty mode with no success.
Old 09.11.2009, 14:29
JD Manager

64bit or 32bit win7? because you name both?
Old 09.11.2009, 14:49
starphoenix

Because now I'm using Windows 7 32 bit but I tried Wiindows 7 64 bit too.
Old 10.11.2009, 07:27

My problem may be similar. I have the Windows SDK (Software Development Kit) installed. It installs some different (debug-able) versions of a few OS DLLs, including much of the TCP-IP stack. There is even a security hole that allows people to blue screen my system if I have IPv6 (or IPv6 tunneling) activated.

Microsoft has never gotten the TCP-IP-Ethernet-ATM stack correct on any of their OS (dating back to Windows 3.31). They keep trying to leave in LANMAN and NetBIOS compatibility (both are huge security problems).

You might try and see if you can find a 3rd party TCP stack that supports IPv4 and IPv6, but not NetBIOS over TCP. It would almost be like adding a smart firewall.

------------------------------

To Jiaz,

How are network errors (time-outs, squelches of various types, bad headers, ICMP, etc.) handled in JD? If they generate exceptions that are not caught and recoded within the initial caller or call-back, that might cause a memory leak in the JVM.
Old 10.11.2009, 13:18
JD Manager

there are no uncaught exceptions. every error gets caught at least in the singledownloadcontroller. such things do not create memleaks, because under win7 32bit same situation all stays fine. as long as firewall and others do too because we know of many such tools that also create memleaks (eg online webscanner)
Old 11.11.2009, 00:34

The exceptions were just an idea, because of the ugotfile infinite loop. I was seeing some watchdog exceptions in one of the logs (when things weren't working at all).

I will have to check out the SDK and Process Explorer to make sure there are no extras being added to the program. The only reason I know that installing the SDK changes OS files is because it changes something in winsock to allow logging -- but that isn't supposed to be turned on.

The person who is having trouble with Win7: I cannot remember if he is using a retail version. The Beta could have problems like mine.

It is getting to be time for a new OS install (Win XP Home OEM with SP and patches slipstreamed). I will be more careful what I install and test for this kind of problem with JD as I reinstall things (like my security suite).

Last edited by drbits; 11.11.2009 at 00:41.
Old 11.11.2009, 02:09
JD Manager

the issues between java and win7 64bit exist since its release candidate 1. (boardsearch and supportchat). we can only hope and wait till microsoft or sun fix the cause.
Old 28.12.2009, 18:54
mark909

I am having the same problem with the latest JD and 10.4.11 with the latest Java, on a TiG4. This problem also occurred while downloading from rapidshare, but I haven't had a chance to try any other hosts.

However, not having the download tab in front, hiding JD, or disabling the Host or Status columns (as mentioned in another thread), hasn't seemed to make a difference. I'm not using any virus software either.

According to top, the CPU load is very low, but the virtual memory size is massive, even when the program is just waiting and not actually downloading anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squished Squirrel View Post
I'm encountering a memory leak with 0.9.246 on OSX 10.4.11 PPC with all available Java updates as provided by Apple (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306)

What I have found is that the memory leak only occurs if the Download tab is in front. If the download tab is in front, memory is gobbled up at about 177MB/hour. (It grew to 1GB in 6 hours before I noticed.)

If I simply pick another tab, like settings, to be in front, memory usage doesn't seam to grow. Switching to another tab doesn't release the memory that has been lost, it simply stops the bleeding.

This was with a multipart rapidshare download, if that makes a difference.
Old 29.12.2009, 09:31
remi

Cool

I would try another, older Java version.
Old 29.12.2009, 10:53

I am on Windows, so these suggestions may not be compatible with your version of Java (Java should just exit with an error message). -X options are not necessarilly on each implemenation of the JRE.

Things to try:
1) From the command line change into the JDownloader directory. Start JDownloader with
Code:
java <options> -jar JDownloader.jar
where the options are
-Xmx512m Restrict the heap size to no more than 512 MB. You can set this as low as 128 MB if it works (the lower case m at the end means 1024*1024).
-XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy Changes how the JRE allocates memory
-XX:+UseParallelGC Changes how the JRE runs the Garbage collector (especially useful if your computer is multi-processor or has hyperthreading.

The suggestion is to try each of these individually (to see if they are accepted and to see if they do anything), and then to try them together and see if that helps.

There are other options people are using on the PC, but they are probably not useful on your computer, because they control how the graphics card is used and I think Apple has that standardized.

Please let us know if any of this helps.
Old 29.12.2009, 14:06
mark909

That command isn't working, most likely because the application is jDownloader.app, which isn't a .jar file. It won't launch without specifying -jar either. It does start using "open jDownloader.app", but the man pages don't show any options for restricting memory usage.
Old 29.12.2009, 17:28
mark909

Quote:
I would try another, older Java version.
Is there a way to select which version it uses? Trying to downgrade Java is not good solution because it would effect everything that uses Java. Speaking of which, I'm not having this problem with any other Java applications, so that leads me to believe that there is a bug in JDownloader. Without adding any links, or doing anything with it, sitting idle it uses about 925M of virtual memory, 130M real memory, and has 26 threads.
Old 30.12.2009, 13:42
remi

Cool

It's a problem with your JRE, because jD can only use 512 MB if you start it with the -Xmx512m parameter.

Most problems are caused by a virus software, but you don't have one. On Vista and W7 these memory leaks are caused by the 64 bits version. Using the 32 bits version solves the problem.

If you don't want to use another version of the JRE, because you think your other application need a specific one, then you're stuck. jD can work with all versions including the JRE 1.5.
Old 30.12.2009, 14:55
mark909

Quote:
It's a problem with your JRE, because jD can only use 512 MB if you start it with the -Xmx512m parameter.
While I appreciate the feedback, that doesn't seem like a logical conclusion -- if all Java applications run fine except jD, then there is a problem with JRE.

As noted above, I haven't been able to start it with the -Xmx512m parameter.

Quote:
If you don't want to use another version of the JRE, because you think your other application need a specific one, then you're stuck. jD can work with all versions including the JRE 1.5.
Putting aside that, imho, jD should be made to work with the latest version, which version is known to work? Nor am I sure how well it would be to try to downgrade to an earlier version. I'm currently at "Java 5 Update 19". Within Java Preferences, I can choose between J2SE 1.4.2 or J2SE 5.0 (there is no mention of a 1.5 anywhere), but only for applets executed from the browser or applications launched from Java Network Launching Protocol. Is JNLP used to launch jD??
Old 31.12.2009, 03:20

Default My last ditch attempt to help.

If the advice we have been giving you does not help, you may have to wait until some of the experts come back from vacation. I am only a member.

Quote:
As noted above, I haven't been able to start it with the -Xmx512m parameter.
You did not state that in this thread. I provided several command line options for you to try. Please tell us what happens if you include that parameter or any of the others.

To control the version of java being used by JDownloader, you can install Java to the JDownloader directory or you can change your $path to specify the java directory you want JDownloader to use. The latest version from Sun is Java J2SE JRE 1.6.0.17 (also called Java 6 update 17 or Java 6u17). JD has been tested with several versions of Java 1.5 and 1.6. I use 1.6.0.17. JD follows the "Java 5 standard" set by Sun.

Java Network Launcher is not used. You can try using the JNLP to start jdownloader.jar or jdupdate.jar and tell us what happens.

I am sorry, I know Windows and I know unix/linux. I am not familiar with the changes Apple made to OSX. I do not know the name of the Java executable for OSX. It should be just "java" with no quotes. You should be able to use the following from the shell (assuming ksh).
Code:
cd /usr/bin/jdownloader
set path=/usr/bin/java/java5 $path
java -verbose -debug -jar jdownloader.jar >jdlog 2>jderrlog
You may need to change the directories to match the location of the files on your computer. You may need to replace the space in the set path statement with a colon. If your version of java supports it, you can also try using -verbose:gc to get memory information as the program runs.

Because your build of Java is not a Sun build, it would be helpful if you could attach the output of java -version, java -h, and java -X (each should work, but could fail) and the the two log files to a message. If you have a rar program available, make a rar archive, use Go Advanced in this thread, and click on Manage Attachments to upload the rar file.

If you do not have access to a rar program, please email a tgz or z or zip archive to dr.bits@gmail.com and I will convert the archive and upload it. I can also convert a sit (StuffIt) archive, but not easily. Please do not include anything executable, it might not reach me.

The preceding paragraph will self destruct in two days.

Last edited by drbits; 31.12.2009 at 03:47. Reason: Missing words
Old 31.12.2009, 11:49
remi

Cool

Quote:
The preceding paragraph will self destruct in two days.
Funny. I'm not sure how it can destruct itself automatically....
Old 31.12.2009, 14:55
mark909

Quote:
You did not state that in this thread. I provided several command line options for you to try. Please tell us what happens if you include that parameter or any of the others.
Thanks for the help. I did state "That command isn't working, most likely because the application is jDownloader.app, which isn't a .jar file." I tried getting the .jar file, but when I went to http://jdownloader.org/download/index and selected "Other" the file is an .exe installer, which afaik, only runs on MS-DOS/Windows.

Anyway, I did find the .jar buried inside the package: /jDownloader.app/contents/resources/Java. So I tried "java -Xmx512m -jar JDownloader.jar" and it launched with much verbosity. I did not try doing anything with the program from its GUI, but it seemed to be using about 900M of virtual memory.

Sorry, but how to I exit java to get my command line back without shutting down JDownloader.jar??

Quote:
To control the version of java being used by JDownloader, you can install Java to the JDownloader directory or you can change your $path to specify the java directory you want JDownloader to use. The latest version from Sun is Java J2SE JRE 1.6.0.17 (also called Java 6 update 17 or Java 6u17). JD has been tested with several versions of Java 1.5 and 1.6. I use 1.6.0.17. JD follows the "Java 5 standard" set by Sun.
I have the latest version available for 10.4.11. Installing Java 6 would require upgrading my OS to 10.6 which would be a bad idea with the hardware and applications I'm using. Fwiw, I do not think I can easily change where Java is installed, as Apple uses it's own installer/updater for Java.

Quote:
Because your build of Java is not a Sun build, it would be helpful if you could attach the output of java -version, java -h, and java -X (each should work, but could fail) and the the two log files to a message.
Here is the version:
java version "1.5.0_19"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-138, mixed mode, sharing)

The other two did work, listing commands.

Quote:
If you have a rar program available, make a rar archive, use Go Advanced in this thread, and click on Manage Attachments to upload the rar file.

If you do not have access to a rar program, please email a tgz or z or zip archive to dr.bits@gmail.com and I will convert the archive and upload it. I can also convert a sit (StuffIt) archive, but not easily. Please do not include anything executable, it might not reach me.
Thanks, unfortunately, afaik, there is no free rar program for OS X, but I can make a zip. I'll let you know.
Old 31.12.2009, 15:35
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark909 View Post
Sorry, but how to I exit java to get my command line back without shutting down JDownloader.jar??
Can't you open another command console?
Old 29.01.2010, 15:16
mark909

I've been able to get the JD to limit its memory usage from the command line, but then it doesn't work. It can grab links, but fails to download any files. I've tried this numerous times with several different hosts. So until the memory leak or whatever else is fixed, the workaround has been to use JD when I'm not using the computer for anything else.
Old 30.01.2010, 12:10
remi

Did you already provide a detailed jD log or JRE log of your problems?

Last edited by remi; 30.01.2010 at 12:14.