JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 10.08.2018, 07:49
Giga Loader

Default Updates + Password Protect = Help me

Hi,

This is the second or third time this has happened. Few weeks back, I had discovered and began using the password protect feature for when the GUI is minimised to the tray icon. Updates were working fine. Then one update came, installed and then jDownloader refused to start. Nothing worked, even if I pasted an older cfg folder back.

I reinstalled jD, then today once again the same thing happened. In addition, before the update that broke it, for some reason I could not get rid of the bubble notification for updates. Even with it off, it would still present a bubble notification for when an update is available.

And lastly, for some reason, the installation folder is called "JDownloader 2.0", then after the update it was called "JDownloader v2.0" and then after reinstallation it installed in "JDownloader 2.0" as originally. This is incredibly confusing and frustrating. What's even worse is that JD doesn't seem to be making any automatic backups or retaining the older files pre-update in case an update fails. I just can't launch it anymore after updates and I'm not sure if it has to do with the password protection or not, though it certainly only happens with it on. I tried to remove the json file that has the GUI settings, thinking it would reset the password protect settings, but it still made no difference.
Old 10.08.2018, 11:31
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrato View Post
I tried to remove the json file that has the GUI settings, thinking it would reset the password protect settings, but it still made no difference.
No need to reinstall JDownloader, just remove the file cfg/org.jdownloader.settings.GraphicalUserInterfaceSettings.json in your JDownloader folder. It's important to close/kill JDownloader before.
Old 10.08.2018, 11:32
JD Manager

Quote:
And lastly, for some reason, the installation folder is called "JDownloader 2.0", then after the update it was called "JDownloader v2.0" and then after reinstallation it installed in "JDownloader 2.0" as originally.
The same installer should use the same installation folder. There are several versions of the installer out there and in case you redownload the installer each time, that would explain the folder name difference.
Old 10.08.2018, 11:35
JD Manager

Quote:
What's even worse is that JD doesn't seem to be making any automatic backups or retaining the older files pre-update in case an update fails.
Updates don't touch settings/accounts/list and in case the update failes, it will automatically be reverted.
Old 10.08.2018, 11:36
JD Manager

There are other ppl with same issue when password protection is enabled but yet I'm not able to reproduce
the issue myself. see https://board.jdownloader.org/showth...light=password

Last edited by Jiaz; 10.08.2018 at 11:39.
Old 10.08.2018, 11:37
JD Manager

Quote:
I just can't launch it anymore after updates and I'm not sure if it has to do with the password protection or not, though it certainly only happens with it on.
It's caused by the password protection
Old 10.08.2018, 11:39
JD Manager

In case you can reproduce the issue, please tell me how or let's do a teamviewer session and check this out together, contact us via support@jdownloader.org
Old 10.08.2018, 12:24
Giga Loader

Thanks Jiaz, I set the password protected value to false in the gui json file you mentioned and it worked.

Any ideas about the bubble notification for updates issue, why it's not respecting the option set? Or did I miss something and not understand if you gave the solution already?

I've also been wondering about how to reproduce it. So far there seems to be no set way. The first time I enabled the password, it had been updating and launching fine for quite some time. This time it happened with the 4th update or something (the one closest to when I started this thread).

Within the folder, when attempting to launch with the password enabled, the LOCK file appears then is immediately destroyed as the program terminates. I suspect it's to do with just normal semaphore-esque behaviour but thought I'd say it anyway in case it helps figure it out.

It might be difficult to do a TV session due to my extreme timezone but let me know your plan and maybe I can attempt it myself as well.
Old 10.08.2018, 13:31
JD Manager

Can you please show a screenshot of the bubble settings and what notification exactly you mean?

What timezone are you in?

So when the issue happens, JDownloader doesn't start at all but simply *closes* again? no JDownloader process running?
When you can reproduce the issue, it fails as long as you remove the password?
If yes, then please do the following. Close JDownloader and delete the logs folder. Now try to start JDownloader and wait for issue to happen and then zip the logs folder and send to support@jdownloader.org so I can check it
Old 10.08.2018, 13:57
JD Manager

What OS are you using?
Old 10.08.2018, 14:03
JD Manager

Finally I was able to reproduce the issue
Will be fixed with next update
Old 11.08.2018, 04:43
Giga Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Can you please show a screenshot of the bubble settings and what notification exactly you mean?

So when the issue happens, JDownloader doesn't start at all but simply *closes* again? no JDownloader process running?
So in Settings > Bubble Notify > "Show Bubbles if ... an Update is ready for installation." I have set it unchecked.

After thinking about it, I'm thinking this may not be the problem as it's not really a bubble notification.

You know how when you click on the update icon, if there is an update, it brings forth a dialogue box detailing the update with two buttons allowing for installing and the other leaving it for later, right? That's the dialogue box I'm talking about, which I think I was mistakenly calling a bubble notification.

What's happening is that JD is checking for updates, as expected. My expected behaviour is for it to just flash the update icon (the earth icon). But after the reinstallation, it flashes it but also brings forth this dialogue box aforementioned. I can't seem to find or remember where to find the settings for this.
--
It starts in the sense that the password input box shows up for an instant, my chosen task manager shows it launch then terminate. Too fast to do anything. Launch and immediate termination.
--
That's great to hear! How did you manage to reproduce it?
Old 13.08.2018, 11:45
JD Manager

The Bubble Notification is something different. It's a notification *popup* that will inform you about pending/available update. Similiar to blinking/flashing update button. You can disable the blinking in Settings-Advanced Settings-GraphicalUserInterfaceSettings.updatebuttonflashingenabled

The dialog you're looking for is
Settings-Advanced Settings-
UpdateSettings.doaskbeforedownloadinganupdate
UpdateSettings.doaskmebeforeinstallinganupdateenabled

mgpai (user from here) contacted me and showed me via teamviewer how to reproduce the issue and then I was able to reproduce it myself and finally fix it
Old 13.08.2018, 12:56
Giga Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
The Bubble Notification is something different. It's a notification *popup* that will inform you about pending/available update. Similiar to blinking/flashing update button. You can disable the blinking in Settings-Advanced Settings-GraphicalUserInterfaceSettings.updatebuttonflashingenabled

The dialog you're looking for is
Settings-Advanced Settings-
UpdateSettings.doaskbeforedownloadinganupdate
UpdateSettings.doaskmebeforeinstallinganupdateenabled

mgpai (user from here) contacted me and showed me via teamviewer how to reproduce the issue and then I was able to reproduce it myself and finally fix it
Yeah, the flashing icon is what I want to retain and keep enabled. So my expected (and what I used to have) behaviour is:

- JD checks for update automatically.
- Once it finds it, the icon flashes (but no dialogue pops up telling me there's an update available). Only a tray notification comes up saying there's an update available along with the flashing icon.

Right now, instead, the dialogue pops up telling me there's an update (in addition to the flashing). I've tried changing all the related values and options, but for some reason it hasn't made any difference. In the meantime, has the new update been pushed? It says I'm at latest version but no update took place since I started the thread.

--

What seemed to be the reliable trigger to reproduce it? If I were to try to reproduce it, I'd just enable the password then wait and see because sometimes it would be fine and then a certain update would break it.
Old 13.08.2018, 13:48
JD Manager

Can you provide a screenshot of the dialog that you mean? Also please provide a screenshot of the advanced settings with search for *update*. There has been several since last friday. You can check build date in about dialog of JDownloader in Menu-Help-about.
The build date should be minimum 13.08 08:52 CEST 2018

The password issue should be fixed already and no longer happen again.
Old 14.08.2018, 12:18
Giga Loader

I'll post if it comes up again (since I haven't been alerted to updates yet, it hasn't come up for me to screenshot), but as you know, it says something like "an update is available" and has two buttons "install now" or "later". The thing is that the order seems to be off.

When JD was running as expected before, the icon would flash, indicating an update is available, as per my settings. If I clicked on it, it would show the aforementioned dialogue. So basically, for me to know if there was an update available, I'd either see a tray notification pop up in the bottom-right saying an update is ready, or I would see if the icon is flashing in the GUI.

With default settings, it shows the "update is available" as soon as it checks in the background. I would change this setting to be the case above, where only the icon flashes and the dialogue would come upon clicking the world flashing icon.

--

Thanks for the build date - is there a release log somewhere I can see to know what the definite latest build number is? I've tried many times but I end up on older stuff from 7 years ago. I'm unable to see if the svn page has some section that shows this as well.

My current Build Date indicates "Aug 14 08.46.57 CEST 2018". I haven't seen any automatic update notification at all, so am I correct to deduce this has all been done in the background?

Thanks for your help btw!

P.S. Here's the advanced settings capture: **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

Last edited by serrato; 14.08.2018 at 12:23. Reason: Forgot to add image.
Old 15.08.2018, 20:40
JD Manager

Quote:
With default settings, it shows the "update is available" as soon as it checks in the background. I would change this setting to be the case above, where only the icon flashes and the dialogue would come upon clicking the world flashing icon.
The screenshot of yours shows that you don't have set *default* settings
The *reset* icon is visible for those entries that are not default.

Disable/Reset *Do ask me before installing an update*. This causes the dialog to show up as soon as there is a pending update available. Then background updates will be installed automatically and in case there is an update that requires restart, the icon will flash/blink. That should work as expected then

Last edited by Jiaz; 15.08.2018 at 20:44.
Old 15.08.2018, 20:44
JD Manager

Quote:
Thanks for the build date - is there a release log somewhere I can see to know what the definite latest build number is? I've tried many times but I end up on older stuff from 7 years ago. I'm unable to see if the svn page has some section that shows this as well.
I'm sorry but there is no such log. As we release many many updates each day, from 0-5/10 on normal day/weekend up to 20-40 on very busy days. You could check out the source code repository history if you're into java but it would be waste of time to have a log that shows. Updated Plugin XY. 10 mins later. Updated Plugin XY again...and so on

The svn site is very limited to non developers because there have been some ppl in the past scrabing the tracker for changes/messages that caused high server load.

When I find some free time, I might add some *latest build* version info somewhere on our homepage/forum... so you can check if your version is up2date or *outdated like hell*
Old 16.08.2018, 06:30
Giga Loader

OK so I just got an update notification so I grabbed a screenshot.

I know I've changed the setting. I don't want the default. I just want it to silently tell me about available updates, but it keeps popping up the update notification regardless. As in, I only desire the flashing icon instead of the pop up. I only expect the pop up once I click on the flashing icon. Even now, it checked automatically in the background (expected), it found an update and showed the pop up, which comes in the way of everything (undesirable).

**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

I know it's not THAT big of an issue, but I'm trying to figure out if something smaller isn't broken, because even though the previous installation I had was perfect in terms of behaviour, there was something broken that I noticed very late, which was that if I disabled a download, the icon in the context menu would show "disable" with a checkmark. If I enabled the download, it would still show "disable" but unchecked. It was really odd. It no longer does so after I did the reinstall.

Ah I see. I meant only a value somewhere that simply displays the absolute build number or just the build date, just to know that it was compiled today, or yesterday etc. But if it's difficult currently then no worries.
Old 16.08.2018, 12:49
Giga Loader

OK after thinking some more over it, is this option being set to true the reason why I keep seeing this pop up?

Setting: "Do Ask Me Before Installing An Update" : True (Default false)
Pop up that came few mins after I declined it the first time: **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

If that's the case, then I think I might have misunderstood the setting. I cannot test right now as a download is ongoing and if I cancel it the server might delay it for several hours so yea lol.