JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 06.03.2010, 15:41
Shaphan

Default JD doesn't connect to the internet at all

Hey guys,

Has someone here ever been confronted with JD not connecting to the internet at all, even though there is a solid connection that works a hundred per cent for any other application that needs internet connection?

I redownloaded and reinstalled JD and it launches just fine, but the support chat won't work, link grabber won't work, JDupdate.main says server is busy or cannot connect and the reconnection will not work either - all of these are signs JD simply makes no connection to my understanding.

Someone got some idea? I suppose there's a very easy solution to this.

Thx a lot,
Shaphan

Last edited by Jiaz; 16.03.2010 at 17:56.
Old 06.03.2010, 20:31
JD English Support (inactive)

Yes, you would have found the solution if you searched the board.
In any case, we need a list of some of the links you have tried. If possible, we want you to upload a Log. If that is not possible, we need your OS, version, #bits, and the same information for Java.

In this case, we need to know what security software you use.

Usually this problem means that your firewall is not allowing JDownloader to communicate with the outside world. The easiest way to test if this is the problem is to set a restore point and uninstall your security software (antivirus, firewall, IDS, etc.). If this fixes your problem, see the next paragraph. You can restore your security software with the restore point.

The firewall should be set to allow sending on any port to any address by JDownloader, Java, and Javaw. Further, JDownloader will try to listen on several ports (depending on the addons you have installed). The easiest way to do this is to have your firewall prompt you and allow it for local connections. If you have a firewall in your router, then you can enable JDownloader, Java, and Javaw as a listening server in your software firewall, but not in the Router.

Your antivirus should have exceptions for JDownloader, Java, and Javaw so that they are not interfered with. In addition, your antivirus must not interfere with the network. No Linkscanner, no scanning of downloaded data. These features interfere with all downloading and browsing. They can also slow your system down by up to about 1/3.
Old 06.03.2010, 20:36
zhenya

Yes, I found this site because am having the same problem with my laptop. Works great on the desktop. Have also reinstalled, done a Sys Restore, etc. but it will not grab my Ctrl Cs or respond. I just checked it now and it won't even open. Hope someone else can give some resolution.
Cheers
Zhenya
Old 07.03.2010, 04:06
English Supporter

1. Check "Enable monitoring the clipboard".
2. Try to add URLs manually.
3. Upload the log, there are a lot of proof about connections.

Last edited by tony2long; 07.03.2010 at 04:11.
Old 07.03.2010, 05:08

@ zhenya:

That is a different error. Please tell us:
1) What operating system and version (including #bits) you run.
2) The same information for Java.
3) What kind of security software are you running?
4) What do you mean that it won't even open? Does the program start? Does it start after a reboot?
5) Have you tried renaming the JDownloader directory and installing again?
Old 07.03.2010, 10:52
remi

If you're using JRE (java) version 6.0_18 then go back to version 6.0_17.

Here are some recommendations for using jD and W7.
Old 08.03.2010, 06:45
Shaphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
@ zhenya:

That is a different error. Please tell us:
1) What operating system and version (including #bits) you run.
2) The same information for Java.
3) What kind of security software are you running?
4) What do you mean that it won't even open? Does the program start? Does it start after a reboot?
5) Have you tried renaming the JDownloader directory and installing again?
1.Mac OS 10.6.2
2.Latest for snow leopard
3.Little Snitch, JD is allowed any internet access
4.JD launches fine, but it will not complete any task that uses internet connection
5.Clarify please. You mean JD's location in applications folder? What should I rename there?
Old 08.03.2010, 07:57

5) Has to do with file and directory protections. You have to make sure that the JDownloader directory and all of its contents are readable and executable for you. On Windows "7" this has become a major problem.
4) OK. This defines the problem.
3) Looks like a good software firewall. Are you running an antivirus? You should be, even on Snow Leopard. Make sure it scans files when you open them for read or execute, not for write or copy. Make sure it does not scan your network data.
2) Unfortunately, not a good answer. Please enter the following on a command line and record the first line of the results: java -version
There are bugs in Sun's latest release of Java, if Apple picked that up, you may have to go back to the previous version. You should see something like 1.6.0_16 (or 6u16). If Apple updated to the 1.6.0_18 (or 6u18) version, it is a good idea to download the previous version of Java, uninstall Java, and install the older version. The Java -version should also tell you whether it is a 32 bit or 64 bit model. If it is available, you should install the 32 bit model (no need to uninstall the 64 bit, it is in a different directory).
1) Thank you.

I really do not know what is happening. If you go back to the second post in this topic, I requested some links you have tried, and a Log. Using the instructions from my signature, generate a log and save it to a file (since you cannot upload one), and upload the file to x7.to using your browser and PM the URL to drbits (me). I will keep it in strict confidence.

One more thing I just thought of for you to try. Once you start JDownloader, make sure that Settings - Basics - Download & Connections - Internet & Network "Proxy Settings" does not have the Proxy enabled (or that it has the correct information).

From the Log, I should be able to see what error is occurring and we can progress.
Old 08.03.2010, 10:05
JD Manager

please provide a logfile
menubar ? log, then click upload and give url here
also make sure you set proxy in jd if you need one
Old 09.03.2010, 06:31
Shaphan

Quote:
5) Has to do with file and directory protections. You have to make sure that the JDownloader directory and all of its contents are readable and executable for you. On Windows "7" this has become a major problem.
4) OK. This defines the problem.
3) Looks like a good software firewall. Are you running an antivirus? You should be, even on Snow Leopard. Make sure it scans files when you open them for read or execute, not for write or copy. Make sure it does not scan your network data.
2) Unfortunately, not a good answer. Please enter the following on a command line and record the first line of the results: java -version
There are bugs in Sun's latest release of Java, if Apple picked that up, you may have to go back to the previous version. You should see something like 1.6.0_16 (or 6u16). If Apple updated to the 1.6.0_18 (or 6u18) version, it is a good idea to download the previous version of Java, uninstall Java, and install the older version. The Java -version should also tell you whether it is a 32 bit or 64 bit model. If it is available, you should install the 32 bit model (no need to uninstall the 64 bit, it is in a different directory).
1) Thank you.

I really do not know what is happening. If you go back to the second post in this topic, I requested some links you have tried, and a Log. Using the instructions from my signature, generate a log and save it to a file (since you cannot upload one), and upload the file to x7.to using your browser and PM the URL to drbits (me). I will keep it in strict confidence.

One more thing I just thought of for you to try. Once you start JDownloader, make sure that Settings - Basics - Download & Connections - Internet & Network "Proxy Settings" does not have the Proxy enabled (or that it has the correct information).

From the Log, I should be able to see what error is occurring and we can progress.
2. java version "1.6.0_17"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04-248-10M3025)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.3-b01-101, mixed mode)
3. I only have little snitch controlling connections... JD is allowed any connection
5. Have the rights
Old 09.03.2010, 07:04
English Supporter

@Shaphan

You "only" have little snitch controlling connections, and you are complaining that JD doesn't connect to the internet at all.

You ignore Jiaz's request (post #9) and only reply to drbits.

:huh:
Old 09.03.2010, 22:05
Shaphan

Little Snitch is allowing any JD connection to the internet, of course..... Weird you thought otherwise....

I can't yet reply to Jiaz yet, as I am not in reach of the computer displaying my issue. I will as soon as possible....

No reason to be confused.
Old 09.03.2010, 23:27

Thank you tony.

Jiaz is the real expert here. We always ask for links and a Log. See my signature for Log instructions.

Please check the Windows Firewall to make sure it is completely disabled.

Please install 32 bit Java 1.6.0_17. The 64 bit version has problems. To make things easier, I uploaded a copy to "x7.to/qexoji". Please install that, as Jiaz directed above. Then upload a log. Please also post the links you tested with here.

Do not expect further help until you have installed this version of Java and uploaded a log.

Last edited by drbits; 09.03.2010 at 23:33.
Old 10.03.2010, 06:41
Shaphan

Your share is a windows application. Where can I get the 32 bit mac version?

Also I do not have any firewall to be disabled.

I can't upload the log earlier than Saturday, but I will asap.
Old 10.03.2010, 07:15
English Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaphan View Post
Little Snitch is allowing any JD connection to the internet, of course..... Weird you thought otherwise....

No reason to be confused.
How about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3rb View Post
Jettisoned,

I had the same problem, turned out it was LittleSnitch - I removed all the old rules I had for JDownloader reinstalled the latest(older) file from the DMG and went through the update process about 2 times and voila... a working copy of the newest JDownloader which is - GREAT !!

Well done team !
Old 10.03.2010, 10:42
remi

Here you'll find support for that firewall :- "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**
Old 11.03.2010, 09:33
frmjin

HI.....enjoy it.............
Old 11.03.2010, 10:29
remi

Cool

Quote:
You guys made a liar out of me. You gave him the answer and he hadn't even started the test!
I'm sorry. Why would we need logs if the problem can be solved by configuring a firewall?
Old 11.03.2010, 13:26
English Supporter

I'm sorry too, drbits, I just wanted to show the proof that my thought is not weird. If I were him, Little Snitch is my #1 suspect, not JD! He is not at home until Saturday anyway, can't test it, can't upload a log until then.
Old 11.03.2010, 19:07
Shaphan

@drbits

I yet see you not as a liar :D

Sry couldn't getr the log up till now, will try the other options saturday night, if they do not work, you'll have my log file up by saturday night..

Thx for your efforts, guys.
Old 13.03.2010, 15:48
Shaphan

One thing I have to correct:
java version "1.5.0_22"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_22-b03-333-9M3125)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_22-147, mixed mode, sharing)

Also, JD is not letting me upload the log file, it simply says upload failure in the log upon trying.
Old 13.03.2010, 15:52
JD Manager

copy and paste log to pastebin.com and give url as pm
Old 13.03.2010, 20:47

@ Jiaz
Does upload require Java 1.6?

@ Shaphan
JDownloader should run with Java 1.5.0_22 (unless somebody made a big mistake).
However, Apple supplies the Java updates for your Operating System. It might be good to install a Java 1.6 family JRE. Releases 15, 16, and 17 are known to be good. Release 18 (1.6.0_18) is not good. If you do upgrade, can you tell me what section of the website it is in (for example, is it in Support or Downloads)?

@ remi and tony,
No reason to apologize. I should have put smilies in there.
I am trying to get people used to the idea of posting URLs and uploading Logs whenever they have a problem.
Old 14.03.2010, 10:06
remi

No apologies were needed. We know you're a good guy and I understood your intentions, but I didn't want Shaphan to suffer more than necessary.

If we need to apologise for the slightest misunderstanding then it's no fun any more.

Last edited by remi; 14.03.2010 at 10:16.
Old 15.03.2010, 15:01
Shaphan

Okay guys, as I just discovered, I have a general issue with the internet conneciton from the account I have the JD issue on. The only application that I used recently on the account actively that connects to the internet is firefox, and this is the only one working. Apps like software update, safari and other webbrowsers all can not connect to the internet, which is why I'll be resetting the account. Assuming this will wipe out the other internet issues, I suspect JD will work fine then as well. I now know for sure the only thing wrong with JD is the internet, and this I can handle anyways.

So thanks for all your time and help and I'm sorry to not have discovered the problem was nothing to do with JD right away. Please excuse me taking so much of your time, I'll make sure to think of simple solutions or bugs like this in future.

Cheers and thx again,
Shaphan
Old 16.03.2010, 12:55

Thank you for letting us know. We have to think in those terms sometimes as well.

Do not hesitate to ask for help when you need it.

Cheers
DrBits