JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 17.03.2010, 07:45
JD Addict

Default Auto rename (file exists) doesn't work [right]

I'm not 100% sure how this works, but I have a good idea how I want it to work. (BTW, it may not matter, but this a MacPro running 10.6.2 with 6GB RAM.)

I expect if an archive being downloaded has the same name as one that already exists in the download location (like 1.rar), then it would be renamed something like 1.rar-1 (a Mac convention) or 1_1.rar. A problem might exist (and I think I may have hit it a couple times) where the expanding archive with multiple parts can't find what it's looking for. There may be a database feature that says "for this archive, we had to rename 1.part1.rar to 1_1.part1.rar and 1.part2.rar to 1_1.part2.rar [etc.], so when we unrar, we have to remember what the renaming did".

Fine. If that works, it works. I have seen situations where it looks like the unrar process creates several instances of the same file that looks like "sammy_1_2_3_4.part1.rar" when there were only two parts to begin with, and these four instances are all the exact same size. Now, I have had few instances (I cannot say never) where it did not eventually extract, but having four or five or six 179.3MB files sitting around might cause trouble.

Now, the EXACT bug I'm reporting is during the unrar process: if you have a target file, like "blonde.wmv", that already exists, the extract will fail with a non-useful message. What I would expect is that the auto-rename extends to unrar and the extraction should succeed. OR I get a message that says a duplicate file already exists. OR a folder is created named the same as the archive (plus, maybe, "extracted") and the duplicate(s) put in there.

This is really useful because you often don't know what the extracted files are going to be named, and you may have 2113 files in your download directory, some of which are very generically name. Oops, 2114. No, 2115...
Old 17.03.2010, 19:29
JD English Support (inactive)

Default Good question!

Auto-rename does work (as you have seen). There unfortunately is no connection between auto=rename and the database. Auto-rename is only a life-preserver to keep files from getting overwritten (when they are not the same).

JDownloader has no way to know whether the files are identical, unless the web site provides an MD5 or other checksum. Right now, that information is not used to avoid duplication. You could recommend that as a function for the future (In the suggestions and wishes forum).

For archives, the auto-expand does not work with renamed files. However, if we collapse identical files, that should be less of a problem.

Right now, the best strategy is usually to set "Skip file" instead of "Auto-rename". The skipped file will be disabled in the Link List with a note "File already exists". You can then rename the existing file and download the new one if you wish.

There is a bug in "Skip file". It occasionally skips a file it should not have. If you use that setting, check each package before assuming it is complete.

Cheers,
drbits