JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 06.12.2010, 22:45
killwin98

Default Can't reconnect with D-Link MODEM: DSL-360R

Hello,
I'm new to the Jdownloader world, but it looks great!

I'm connecting my laptop (running Windows 7) directly to my modem with a cable. The modem model is D-Link DSL-360R. Every time I open my computer I have to use a dial-up (basically I just click "connect" because the username and password are already there).

So on Jdownloader I went to settings > reconnection > batch tab, and put this info for the batch script:

Code:
rasdial Drava Net /disconnect
ping www.google.de -n 8
rasdial Drava Net myusername mypassword
Of course that I put my actual username and password.

So first of all, I can't even find the "save settings" button, and it seems like nothing is working (for example, it says my "limit reached" on megaupload) so I'm guessing it didn't renew my IP.

So how can I make it work?
And just another small question: If I'm downloading from different websites at the same time (megaupload, rapidshare, etc.) wouldn't a reconnection kill my currently running downloads?..

Thank you in advance!
Tom
Old 07.12.2010, 07:52
JD English Support (inactive)

Create a batch file containing this information.
Then use the external program tab with CMD <filename.bat> as the program.

Reconnection waits until current downloads complete before changing your IP address.

There are also two check-boxes in Reconnection -> Advanced. You can change them to adjust how often reconnection occurs:
1) Allow reconnection to interrupt resumable downloads? (ignore other downloads if they are can be resumed). Mine is unticked, because many resumable hosts require wait times or reCaptcha.

2) Do not start new links if Reconnect requested? Mine is ticked, because I download from 4 to 6 hosts and almost always come close to filling my download bandwidth. Most people do not tick this option.
Old 07.12.2010, 12:46
killwin98

Thank you for replying so quick!

Quote:
Create a batch file containing this information.
Then use the external program tab with CMD <filename.bat> as the program.
How do I do these things exactly?
This is a screenshot of my batch tab:

Quote:
1) Allow reconnection to interrupt resumable downloads? (ignore other downloads if they are can be resumed). Mine is unticked, because many resumable hosts require wait times or reCaptcha.
Why would hosts require wait time if the IP is renewed?

By the way I don't even have those options on the advance. This is what I have:

Thank you again for your help!
Tom
Old 07.12.2010, 15:58
remi

I think your first screen dump is correct and should work.

From drbits' post I understand that you need to put the script in a .bat file. Put that file in jD's folder (application folder) and put its file name in the Batch Script field. Try this if the first method doesn't work.

The first option drbits is talking about is "Let Reconnects interrupt resumable downloads" and can be found in Settings -> Basic -> Downloads and connections -> General. The option "Do not start new links if reconnect requested" can be found under the first option.
Old 07.12.2010, 18:59
killwin98

Quote:
From drbits' post I understand that you need to put the script in a .bat file. Put that file in jD's folder (application folder) and put its file name in the Batch Script field. Try this if the first method doesn't work.
I'm sorry, but I still don't quite get it Should I just copy-paste that into a text file and then change its extension from .txt to .bat? And what do you mean "put its file name in the Batch Script Field"? Do you mean that on the Batch tab screen I should click the "select" button and then choose the new bat file I created?

Could you also please explain what is the reason not to choose the "Let Reconnects interrupt resumable downloads" if the whole point of reconnecting is to renew the IP so that I won't have to wait?

Thanks!
Old 08.12.2010, 15:58
remi

Try my method instead. You can try drbits' method if my approach doesn't work.

Note that I don't know what drbits means exactly. He should make it clear, not me.

A .bat file should always have a .bat extension, although it's a simple text file.

The Select button is used to locate the folder where the batch script should be executed. Don't change anything there.

"Let Reconnects interrupt resumable downloads" is good when you don't need to wait for resuming a file. I don't know which hosts force downloaders to wait before resuming a download. I don't use reconnection and I don't care, because my jD window is always minimised. I'm not interested in that sort of details.
Old 08.12.2010, 17:53
JD English Support (inactive)

1) You have the correct idea about the batch file.

2) If you are downloading from multiple hosts, it is often a bad idea to interrupt the download. Resuming usually works, but if the server is busy or it requires a manual captcha response, you do not want to interrupt the download.

Whether it makes sense to tick these options depends on your overall download speed and your download speed for each server.

For example, with 2 free downloads, my computer uses my full download bandwidth (around 160 KiB/second). With only one download I usually get a little over 100 KIB/second. I usually figure that the extra overhead of stopping a resumable download, reconnecting, and starting the downloads is not worthwhile. However, I want to reconnect whenever nothing is downloading.

If I am waiting to reconnect, because I already have one active download, then starting a new download prevents the reconnection (when the first file is done), but uses my full bandwidth almost all of the time.

This has recently changed. I completed my downloads other than Hotfile and RapidShare (mostly RapidShare). Since neither of these are resumable, it does not matter whether I check the "Interrupt resumable downloads". Because the AntiReCaptcha still works for Hotfile, but takes a long time, I do not want to delay that, so I allow a new download when I am waiting to reconnect.

These are my personal choices. If you have a download bandwidth that is significantly higher than mine, your choices would probably be different.
Old 08.12.2010, 18:18
killwin98

I think I understand now! I'm upgrading my speed, so by the end of the month I'll have 30mbit/3mbit connection! So I'm assuming I shouldn't change any option (leave it as the current default), right?

I will try to create the batch file and let you know if it works.

Thank you for your patient and help!
Tom