JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 13.01.2010, 04:42
TsunamiZ

Exclamation Unexpected deleting of folders from hard drive!

In the Download section, using "remove from list" on containers also deletes folder from hard drive if folder is empty. This problem also happens when using "reset" on containers with empty folders. This is not supposed to happen. Can this bug be fixed??

BTW: I am sure I didn't use the other option of "remove from list and disk".

EDIT: this is still a frequent problem for me...

- sometimes i add multiple mirrors just to try which is faster and then delete the ones i dont want. but this will also delete my empty folder automatically--afterwhich i have to manually remake my folder!

-also sometimes i change the max number of simulatenous downloads and then i "reset" a link or container to temporarily suspend it [put it back on que] but this also it deletes my folder if it's empty!

can't we just delete empty folder ourselves instead of making it automatic thus creating these problems?

Last edited by Jiaz; 19.12.2010 at 12:12.
Old 13.01.2010, 13:05
remi

Cool

Can you please provide a detailed log for this bug?

Look here for logging instructions.

Make the necessary backups before you do this.
Old 13.01.2010, 13:12
Gemmor

There is no log for this, bit it deletes an empty folder if you delete the links from JD's list. Just try it yourself.
Old 14.01.2010, 17:49
TsunamiZ

i had 1 large file downloading from megashares.com and it was about 2/3 complete. but "remove from list" deleted the folder and anything in it. so it seems improper behavior. can this be fixed?
Old 15.01.2010, 12:41
remi

I don't think the devs will be able to track the problem without a proper log. Please post a detailed log.
Old 17.01.2010, 16:01
TsunamiZ

it may be reproducable. download something that is resumable such as from megashares. and try the remove from list function while the file is partially done...
Old 30.01.2010, 15:24
TsunamiZ

it just happened again. "remove from list" deletes folder from hard drive with a partially downloaded file. this should not be happening...
Old 20.02.2010, 04:38
QvasiModo

why? I thought this was the intended behavior, to remove links to already downloaded files you go use the "clean up" option, not "remove"
Old 20.02.2010, 05:27
TsunamiZ

i expect the "remove from list" to only remove the links from the jd interface. i dont expect it to change folders/files on my hard drive...
Old 20.02.2010, 11:43
remi

Don't you get a warning from jD?
Old 20.02.2010, 22:00
TsunamiZ

the warning doesn't state that it alters files/folders on your hard drive. i dont think removing links from the jd interface should be altering files/folders on your hard drive. there is a different command for that already...
Old 20.02.2010, 23:11
user12345

Bugs like this, and accidentally clicking on the proper option to delete the file/folder (especially if you check "dont show this again") is why I was not a fan of this new "feature" from the begging. I see no reason for an option to delete usable data from within jdownloader.

What purpose does deleting the usable data you just downloaded with jdownloader actually serve? You would have to navigate to the folder to use the files to begin with. So, if you use them and they are no longer needed just delete them right there.

This is why I purposely dont remove any links until the data has been moved and is not deletable with jdownloader. Which is the only thing I think jdownloader should be able to delete other than successfully extracted archives because they are not "usable data" they simply contain the data you actually want to use.
Old 21.02.2010, 12:30
remi

I never used that function for the same reasons as user12345 explains.

For the Delete function you need to go 2 levels deep in the menu and then you need to choose between "From list" and "From list and disk". I suppose you selected the first one.

A warning is given by jD when there is a risk of losing data.

I think the devs will only look into this case when they see a detailed log with the error. Try to reproduce the problem, but take backups of everything you still need.
Old 04.03.2010, 16:55
TsunamiZ

its not an error. its just the way jd is designed to function at the moment. i think it needs to be changed.
Old 04.03.2010, 17:27
English Supporter

The .part has a close connection with the link, so if the link is deleted, the .part will be deleted as well, and also the folder if it is empty. Delete from list and disk is for completed file (.rar).
What is the purpose of keeping the .part if you delete the link?
Old 05.03.2010, 07:28
TsunamiZ

sometimes i add some links and decide it is going too slow and i remove them and want to add another set of links from a different source. in such cases, i want to use the same folder i created for the download. and its inconvenient and unexpected that a command that is called "remove from list" also removes the folder and any partially downloaded files. if i wanted to do that, i can manually delete them myself.
Old 06.03.2010, 09:47
English Supporter

I have just tested it for you, added 2 links, changed folder in package, started first link, disabled when .part had been created, started second link, disabled when .part had been created, deleted first link => only the first .part was deleted. So it works as designed.
If you don't like this correct behavior, open a new thread in Suggestions & Wishes or build your own version because I don't think they will accept your request to change.
Old 06.03.2010, 12:21
remi

@tony2long

Thanks for the testing. I agree with you.
Old 06.03.2010, 17:03
TsunamiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2long View Post
I have just tested it for you, added 2 links, changed folder in package, started first link, disabled when .part had been created, started second link, disabled when .part had been created, deleted first link => only the first .part was deleted. So it works as designed.
If you don't like this correct behavior, open a new thread in Suggestions & Wishes or build your own version because I don't think they will accept your request to change.
thats because you created 2 parts. if you have only 1 part, then the part and the folder will be deleted...
Old 06.03.2010, 19:21
English Supporter

I created 2 parts because in post 16 you wrote: "... also removes the folder and any partially downloaded files." That is not true!

The part is unusable, the folder will be created automatically when you start downloading to that folder, so what is your problem actually?

It seems that you just don't like it. Or should they change from "Delete > From list" to "Delete > From list and related .part and folder if empty because it doesn't make any sense to keep it"?

Last edited by tony2long; 06.03.2010 at 19:23.