JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 06.03.2010, 20:32
JD English Support (inactive)

Thumbs down Not a Bug.

Sorry TsunamiZ, but the program is working correctly. JD deletes any temporary files when they are no longer usable. This is not only desirable, but required for your scenario (download is slow, so you want to change hosts).

If the .Part file were to remain, the download from the new host could be wrong (it could assume the first part was correct, even if the files are not identical). Since you do not have to recreate the directory manually, the deletion of empty directories is not an issue.

SOLVED - This should end the discussion.
Old 07.03.2010, 22:01
JD Manager

drbits is correct
part files are deleted at the moment because at the moment jd cant resume part file with another link (feature for future jd versions)
if folder is empty it will also get deleted
Old 10.03.2010, 05:34
TsunamiZ

the .part is usable even if there is only 1 .part. because it can be resumed.
Old 10.03.2010, 10:29
JD Manager

no, .part files are not usable if the download link in list is gone for it
jd cant use .part files with other links at the momeent (a feature for future versions)
Old 13.03.2010, 09:59
TsunamiZ

there is another problem with the current behavior of it deleting the empty folder. sometimes we download from a source that have multiple mirrors. we might try one mirror, and if it is slow, etc. we then remove the links from list and add a different mirror. and in the process of doing this, we don't want our empty folder to be deleted because we will still be using it.
Old 13.03.2010, 10:25
JD English Support (inactive)

Recreating the folder for the mirror is not important. It will happen automatically in a negligible amount of time. If it works, don't mess with it!

Also, it is best to disable mirrors instead of deleting them. You may find that you have passwords in that package or that you want to go back to the old mirror.

As a rule of thumb, you don't remove links unless there is no file available or we have confirmed that the download was complete and accurate. Sometimes, one mirror will have a file missing, or an error in the file.

I think we have discussed this enough. A change request is not necessary here.

Let us Close the discussion.
Old 13.03.2010, 12:24
TsunamiZ

dont you get it? deleting anything from the hard drive is not expected behavior for a command called "remove from list"--in which someone would only expect it to remove the links from the JD interface. there is also no warning or mention that this command removes our empty folder from the hard drive. and the current way it works can cause unwanted problems. it would be best to fix it so that it only removes the links from the JD interface--not anything from our hard drive.
Old 13.03.2010, 13:22
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiZ View Post
the current way it works can cause unwanted problems.
What are your "unwanted problems"?
Old 13.03.2010, 13:47
TsunamiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
What are your "unwanted problems"?
post #25 is one of them
Old 13.03.2010, 14:14
remi

Then read post #26. drbits answered it in the first paragraph. I wouldn't do it better.
Old 13.03.2010, 14:51
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiZ View Post
dont you get it? deleting anything from the hard drive is not expected behavior for a command called "remove from list"--in which someone would only expect it to remove the links from the JD interface. there is also no warning or mention that this command removes our empty folder from the hard drive. and the current way it works can cause unwanted problems. it would be best to fix it so that it only removes the links from the JD interface--not anything from our hard drive.
what unwanted problems?
remove a link will also its part files as its not usable anymore! so why should we let the .part file on disk and you delete it yourself? jd does this as the file is no longer of any use

there is nothing wrong with the current way it works
Old 05.04.2010, 05:47
TsunamiZ

if jd deletes stuff, it should at least delete them to the recycle bin. so we can restore if we want. currently there is no way to restore deleted jd stuff. not good for accidents either.
Old 05.04.2010, 11:49
remi

It has been proposed a couple of times by drbits. He calls it the graveyard function.
Old 24.04.2010, 13:26
TsunamiZ

this is still a frequent problem for me...

- sometimes i add multiple mirrors just to try which is faster and then delete the ones i dont want. but this will also delete my empty folder automatically--afterwhich i have to manually remake my folder!

-also sometimes i change the max number of simulatenous downloads and then i "reset" a link or container to temporarily suspend it [put it back on que] but this also it deletes my folder if it's empty!

can't we just delete empty folder ourselves instead of making it automatic thus creating these problems?

Last edited by TsunamiZ; 24.04.2010 at 13:32.
Old 24.04.2010, 15:43
English Supporter

If you don't manually remake your folder, what is the error message?

Have you ever trust that JD will make it for you automatically?
Old 24.04.2010, 16:48
TsunamiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2long View Post
If you don't manually remake your folder, what is the error message?

Have you ever trust that JD will make it for you automatically?
i make a unique folder for each of my downloads. so if the unique folder is unexpectedly deleted, JD will use a different folder [the one in settings] instead of the one i set for that particular download...
Old 24.04.2010, 17:53
English Supporter

Can you prove it?

(Never ending circle...)
:)
Old 19.12.2010, 01:47
fullbanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
drbits is correct
part files are deleted at the moment because at the moment jd cant resume part file with another link (feature for future jd versions)
if folder is empty it will also get deleted
Please explain what is the difference between "Delete from list" and "Delete from list and disk" ?

Isn't deleting part files, delete from disk ?

When i create a folder for a movie and then i start downloading from a source. Later i decided that i don't want to continue from that source, i want from another source that i have premium account. Why is the folder deleted when clicked in the option "Remove from list". Shouldn't the links be only removed from the list no matter what ? Should't JDownloader ask if i want to replace existing files if i start downloading files with the same name to the same folder ?

Utorrent has this option, "remove torrent from list" and "remove torrent from list and disk" and it works as it should. When i click remove from disk, the torrent is only removed from the download list and the incomplete files remain in the folder.
Old 19.12.2010, 09:53
TsunamiZ

that is exactly the problem i'm complaining about. but it seems the jd developers doesn't realize the problem.
Old 19.12.2010, 12:12
JD Manager

cause jd does create its own folders if wanted and then put the file in it
eg
c:\test\file\file.rar
and test is the downloadfolder
then delete function will remove file folder too, cause it was meant for this download only.

when the downloadfolder is different from the one set in settings, only the file will get removed.
but we can can of course add an option to delete file only