JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 21.08.2011, 20:13
JD Alpha

Default jdownloader asks to re-install

Hi, not sure if this is in the right place.

Every couple of months, I click on my icon on my desktop and instead of opening jdownloader, it re-runs the installation package. I have to reinstall the whole program, losing my link-list and any downloads I was in the middle of the last time the program was running.

I've got into the habit of constantly re-saving my link-list, but it is a bit annoying resetting everything the way I like it. It's not a major crisis but I'd like to know if there is a reason for it.

It happened again yesterday (Saturday) actually just before I went to bed! When I had re-installed jdownloader and reloaded my link-list I discovered that the 'copy url' function on every single one of my links was greyed out. That is annoying because copying the url to google is how I find any passwords.

I'm currently running Windows 7 32-bit; I used to have 64-bit and had the same problem (it doesn't happen as much as it was say 5 or 6 months ago).

Last edited by Jiaz; 22.08.2011 at 09:17.
Old 22.08.2011, 03:01
English Supporter

If you installed JD into Program Files, then move JDownloader's folder out of Program Files.
Old 22.08.2011, 04:08
English Supporter

JD doesn't have a installer part of the program itself (that I know of). What it will ask on first start is language setting/default download path if the config are cleared/reset.

Now the 'copy url' grey out is feature of jdownloader, this happens with dlcs (container) / link protection services, and only then.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 22.08.2011, 08:30
remi

@tantalus1970

Your jD folder might be in the C:\Program Files ... path and this is a protected path in W7. You better move your jD folder to a path like c:\progs\ and check whether all protections are removed, also on the sub-folders.

Make regular versions (Ctrl-B) of jD's data (link status and settings). Use a backup program to backup jD's config folder at least daily.

If you use protected links you won't find the links that were protected, including on the web. It's better to copy the passwords together with the protected links.
Old 23.08.2011, 19:39
JD Alpha

thanks for the replies.

my jdownloader folder is in another folder on my desktop. thanks for the advice about removing protections.

I know about 'copy url' not working on some links, as I've had that happen before with some of them, but never all of them before.
Old 24.08.2011, 08:54
remi

If all your links are protected links then you'll only get the protected links when you use the 'Copy URL' function. You won't be able to obtain more links than you entered into jD. Note that .dlc containers also protect their links.
Old 06.11.2011, 17:23
JD Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
@tantalus1970

Your jD folder might be in the C:\Program Files ... path and this is a protected path in W7. You better move your jD folder to a path like c:\progs\ and check whether all protections are removed, also on the sub-folders.

Make regular versions (Ctrl-B) of jD's data (link status and settings). Use a backup program to backup jD's config folder at least daily.

If you use protected links you won't find the links that were protected, including on the web. It's better to copy the passwords together with the protected links.
Hi, could you explain how to check and remove all protections? I understood when you posted this, and am pretty sure I did it at the time, but I have since forgotten how!

I appreciate it's something really simple, but jdownloader has just done the same thing for the second time in two days.

Last edited by tantalus1970; 06.11.2011 at 17:47. Reason: removed irrelevant paragraph
Old 07.11.2011, 09:35
remi

SpannerBracket explained how to do it in W7. I quote from an old, archived post SpannerBracket wrote :-

Quote:
Ah - fixed this by replacing permissions on all child objects within the folder.

For anyone else with the issue, right click the jdownloader folder and choose properties.
In the security tab click users in the listbox and click edit.
Tick the box next to "Full Control" and click OK.
Now click Advanced.
Click Change Permissions...
Tick "Replace all child object permissions..." and click OK.
Click Yes.
(original post : http://board.jdownloader.org/showpos...94&postcount=4)
Old 07.11.2011, 11:08
JD Alpha

Thanks, I'll try that.