JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 27.04.2024, 21:49
Junior Loader

Default JD2 won't start after update

Hi,

I've been using JD2 for years without any problems on Windows 7 x64. However, a few months ago update went wrong in a following way: a few minutes after the update was started I got one final message:

"Validating Installation. This can take up to 5 minutes..."

After about a minute or two, the message disappears and nothing happens (no messages, no nothing...) - JD2 doesn't seem to be started, but it is visible in a Task Manager process list. I tried killing JD2 and Java instances in Task manager and restarting JD2 as well as PC, with firewall turned off, but to no avail.

Reinstalling allows JD2 to be started normally again, but only till the next update - then everything happens again. It doesn't matter if I completely delete and/or uninstall JD2 prior to reinstall or I keep cfg folder and I install in the same folder again - the described behavior remains the same.

I'm attaching a detailed log (zipped "error.log") of the last time this happened (since I can't start JD2, I can't post specific details on Java or JD2 version, but I can say its the version from a few days ago, since I last installed it).

Do you have any idea what could be wrong here?
Attached Files
File Type: zip error.zip (14.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 27.04.2024, 22:01
JD Manager

Please check if you have a JDownloader.jar file after update. Most likely something on your computer (most often Firewall/AV) prevent the update of JDownloader.jar leaving you with incomplete update, see https://support.jdownloader.org/de/k...r-installation

Please check firewall/av settings and try to whitelist/exclude JDownloader. If there is no JDownloader.jar file but a JDownloader.jar.backup... then this is the cause.
Old 27.04.2024, 23:27
Junior Loader

Thank you for the quick response, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the culprit - I have JDownloader.jar file (and I did completely disable FW and AV when I tried to narrow down the problem myself).
Besides, even with FW and AV installed, if they block JD2, I would expect them to interfere with the newly installed version of JD2 also. Again, when I reinstall JD2 everything works until the next update...

Any other ideas? Does log indicate anything strange?
Old 27.04.2024, 23:39
JD Manager

@tracker: The log is not the one I need, I need the logs folder as zip.
Can you start JDownloader.jar file directly? What error is shown when you try to start JDownloader?
And no, firewall/av act random/weird. they can do nothing and then block today, but no longer tomorrow. see for example https://board.jdownloader.org/showth...ghlight=comodo
same happens with other vendors as well.

So either the JDownloader.jar file is incomplete/damaged, or firewall/Av are causing some issues or something else.
When this happens again, please zip the logs folder and send to support@jdownloader.org

Update: just noticed something that might be the cause. Do you have many links in list? can you please provide a screenshot of the about dialog of JDownloader, see
https://support.jdownloader.org/de/k...tion-directory

looks like whole starting/stopping of JDownloader takes very long and this might get in conflict with updates. the self test that should only take a few seconds, takes VERY VERY long for your installation.

Last edited by Jiaz; 27.04.2024 at 23:42.
Old 28.04.2024, 00:16
Junior Loader

Thanks again for the quick response.
I just downloaded JDownloader.jar and followed the procedure described in https://support.jdownloader.org/en/k...r-installation , but unfortunately nothing has changed.

I don't have any links in the download list, and I can't access about dialog since I can't start JDownloader. If you're sure it'll help, tomorrow I can reinstall again therefore gaining access to JD2 GUI and about dialog, but then everything will work fine, and I won't be able to provoke this problem again (and test for possible solutions) until next update.

I'll now send the logs folder to support@jdownloader.org, and hopefully you'll get some more insight into what's going on here. Forgive me, I'll have to go to bed now, and continue the communication tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Old 28.04.2024, 00:44
JD Manager

@tracker: Thanks. unfortunately the logs do not show any error but
1.) they show that after preparing/testing the update, it just stops
2.) takes VERY long for self test of the update
It simply stops. What firewall/av are you using? do you use any tool to restrict/sandbox?

If you want we can take a look together via teamviewer
Old 28.04.2024, 10:21
Junior Loader

I use Windows 7 FW and Avast AV, but as I said, I tried this with both of them being disabled to no avail. It seems this is probably due to something else in my system that JD2 or Java rely upon being broken, which is quite possible because my system is ancient (It should be reinstalled, but due to reasons I can't currently do it).

I really don't want to bother (and pester you with this any further) with teamviewer, which is another can of worms.

Before completely abandoning JD2, I'm thinking to install JD2 again, and try to completely disable automatic updates. I read somewhere that this can be done, and JD2 will still update plugins (host rules), only the JD2 "core" won't be updated, right?
Old 28.04.2024, 10:47
English Supporter

By default plugin updates get downloaded and installed in the background without restart required. But I think disabling auto updates with disable all updates core and plugins. It just means you have control over when it happens not what gets updated.

Installers only provide start menu options, file associations, and alike. Installers will typically come with a bundled JRE (or non JRE bundled, your choice of installer). Installers typically have older jdownloader.jar/core.jar and downloads all other files via update network this means installers do not need to be maintained, smaller, less wasted traffic. Other files are created on first start or if they are missing such as configs.

So you probably will still have an issue.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 28.04.2024, 11:45
Junior Loader

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Since my only alternative now appears to be abandoning JD2, I'll try it nevertheless, and maybe do a complete install every few months or so as a substitute for regular update process. I would really like to continue using JD2, its one of the best pieces of software I've used, and now I see it also has great community support.

Thank you and Jiaz for the effort and promptness!
Old 28.04.2024, 12:41
JD Manager

@tracker: there is no need to abandon JDownloader2 I'm very confident that we will find the cause for this issue. we could either do this together via teamviewer session or you try some stuff by yourself:
you should run filesystem check to make sure no damages on filesystem
when this happens again:
-delete logs folder and start JDownloader via .exe file
in case it fails, zip logs folder and send

-delete logs folder and start JDownloader via starting JDownloader.jar file

-delete logs,tmp, update folder and Core.jar file and start JDownloader

-uninstall avast/reboot and test again. then you can install avast again

Teamiewer would be the easiest way to work on this together. mainly depends on timezone and time
Old 28.04.2024, 16:11
Junior Loader

Sorry Jiaz, I misconstrued your last post as basically giving up unless further inspection via teamviewer is possible, so in the meantime I've gone ahead and again reinstalled JD2, and now everything works perfectly, so we'll have to wait till next JD update.

Since I had (some time ago) problems with teamviewer, and in the meantime stopped using it, I really don't want to delve into potentially solving this in order to solve JD2 problems, especially if there is a realistic chance that all that effort would be in vain.
Similarly, reinstalling Avast is the step I would rather skip, because, based on my experience I run a risk of complications for which I frankly don't have a time to deal with if they happen.

On the next update, I will start JD2 in various ways you mention, save the logs, and report back on this thread, but how do I start via JDownloader.jar? Do I just double click (i.e. treat *.jar file like *.exe file), or should I call it via command line (if yes, what command do I use)?
Old 28.04.2024, 22:27
JD Manager

@tracker: no no, of course I'm willing and interested to find out the cause and solution! As this of course might be something that we/JDownloader needs to be fixed or find out/find solution and can be able to help others with same issue. so in the end, of course it's always good to know why something doesn't work when it should and when there are no known issues!

another idea before this happens again:
-create a zip/backup of whole JDownloader installation folder and when it happens again you can
1.) create another zip/backup of broken/failing one
2.) can compare both zip/backup
3.) can try to restore working zip/backup
4.) do fresh installation and then override it with failing/broken one and check again

with zip/backup you can maybe find out if files are missing/damaged or if the blocking happens through avast as when the backup fails as well.

waiting for new feedback then and good luck! never give up!
Old 29.04.2024, 00:33
Junior Loader

OK, excellent - its a good idea, I will certainly make a a copy of the working JD2 folder before next update attempt. I'm not quite sure I'll be able to do a competent comparison of the whole directory structure by hand, since there are quite a lot of files in there, but perhaps i'll figure some type of automation to help on this, we'll see...

On points 3) and 4) - it won't hurt to try, perhaps some conclusions could be drawn from the behavior after these interventions...

Oh, and before I go to bed, just a quick remainder: would you mind answering my previous question on how to start via via JDownloader.jar?
Old 29.04.2024, 08:29
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
Oh, and before I go to bed, just a quick remainder: would you mind answering my previous question on how to start via via JDownloader.jar?
sorry, overlooked that one. you can launch it on two ways:
-either have java installed on your system, so file association with .jar files exist, then you can simply double click it
-or call it via batch file/cmd.exe and need to launch it via the bundled java in jre/java subfolder:
c:\....\java.exe -jar JDownloader.jar
You have to specify the full paths for exe and jar and in case in path there are spaces, you have to use quotes like "C:\....java.exe" -jar "c:\...JDownloader.jar"
while doing so, please temp. rename/move the JDownloader.exe file so it won't get used in process as the exe might be blocked
Old 29.04.2024, 10:20
Junior Loader

Got it, thanks - I'll report back after the next JD2 update!
Old 29.04.2024, 12:45
JD Manager

@tracker: thanks in advance for your help on this one
Old 29.04.2024, 18:07
Junior Loader

No problem - thank you for the effort and promptness in responses.
Old 01.05.2024, 12:44
Junior Loader

Hi Jiaz,

this time around, I turned on option for JD2 to ask me before update, so I can start JD2 by declining the update, in case you need some info (like "About...") that requires JD2 GUI.

So, these are the steps I've done after I saw "Update" button flash:

(1) Made a copy of the JD2 directory (before)
(2) Clicked on "Update" - the problem replayed in the same manner as usual
(3) Killed "JDowloader2.exe" and "javaw.exe" in Task Manager
(4) Made another copy of the JD2 directory (after)

I compared directories in steps (1) and (4) - the only differences are in cfg and tmp subdirectories and, of course, log files.

Next, I tried starting JD2 in 3 ways you suggested, unfortunately with the same result (zips of logs after each attempt is attached).

Finally, a few observations that might be of use:

1. Even without update (when everything is working ok), when I exit JD2, "JDownloader2.exe" process remains

2. During the whole start-try_update-kill_process cycle, I kept Task Manager in foreground and noticed that, when "Validating installation..." message appears, a new process "javaw.exe" is started along with already existing "JDownloader2.exe". When message disappears, these 2 processes remain, and I have to kill them both before trying to restart JD2

3. If I kill "javaw.exe" first, then"JDownloader2.exe", nothing happens, but if I try reverse, i.e. kill "JDownloader2.exe" while "javaw.exe" is still alive, I get message "java.io.IOException: Could not move C:\jd2\JDownloader.jar to C:\jd2\JDownloader.jar.backup.1 timeout." (picture in attachement)

Just in case, I tried making a copy of C:\jd2\JDownloader.jar to C:\jd2\JDownloader.jar.backup.1 manually and had no issues. I also started JD2 as Admin (just in case there are any access rights issues), but this didn't help either.

Hopefully, this info might help you decide where to go next, but please take into account I'm not willing to try anything remotely risky (since my system is ancient and a bit shaky as is, this includes things such as not running filesystem check and not reinstalling anything that might have system-wide repercussions in case uninstall or install goes sideways). In a nutshell, I'd like to keep potential debug trace interventions localized to JD2 directory.
Attached Thumbnails
Selfupdate_Err.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1_Started_via_exe.zip (20.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip 2_Started_via_jar.zip (20.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: zip 3_Deleted_various_folders_than_started_via_exe.zip (23.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 01.05.2024, 20:26
JD Manager

Quote:
2. During the whole start-try_update-kill_process cycle, I kept Task Manager in foreground and noticed that, when "Validating installation..." message appears, a new process "javaw.exe" is started along with already existing "JDownloader2.exe". When message disappears, these 2 processes remain, and I have to kill them both before trying to restart JD2
And that is the cause of the problem! Something on your system (my wild guess is Avast or any other software similiar to it) that causes some blocking here.
Normal Update happens like this.
JDownloader2.exe (launcher) wants to install a core (itself) update, so copies itself to subfolder and applies the core updates to it. then launches it via direct java(w).exe. the 2nd process then verifies the update and does some basic self tests to ensure that updated version is still functional and able to reach update server and install updates. when okay it writes a signal file. JDownloader2.exe does see the signal file and now closes itself. 2nd process now can apply the update to your installation and start JDownloader2.exe again and closes itself.
Updated JDownloader via JDownloader2.exe is started.

Quote:
If I kill "javaw.exe" first, then"JDownloader2.exe", nothing happens, but if I try reverse, i.e. kill "JDownloader2.exe" while "javaw.exe" is still alive, I get message "java.io.IOException: Could not move C:\jd2\JDownloader.jar to C:\jd2\JDownloader.jar.backup.1 timeout." (picture in attachement)
If you manually kill JDownloader2.exe, you bypass whatever blocks JDownloader2.exe from closing but still the 2nd process is unable to move/rename JDownloader.jar to JDownloader.jar.backup.1 file.

Something on your system does causes this issue. My first/wild guess would be Avast. I would recommend we either can do a Teamviewer session, or
for example any other solution like Google Chrome Remote/Teams.... I then can try to find out what is blocking/causing the issue.
Old 01.05.2024, 20:31
JD Manager

Quote:
Hopefully, this info might help you decide where to go next, but please take into account I'm not willing to try anything remotely risky (since my system is ancient and a bit shaky as is, this includes things such as not running filesystem check and not reinstalling anything that might have system-wide repercussions in case uninstall or install goes sideways). In a nutshell, I'd like to keep potential debug trace interventions localized to JD2 directory.
Well, this could be caused by damaged filesystem, so have you tried to install/move JDownloader to different drive/location?
Not wanting to run a filesystem check by your own os -> if situation is that bad I would backup my stuff and move on to different OS or full reinstall.
*just my 2 cents*
Old 01.05.2024, 20:34
JD Manager

Did you always zip whole logs folder? because all zips do only contain 1 log folder when there should be minimum two! one from session of JDownloader2.exe and one of the 2nd java(w).exe process.

Are you any tools like sandboxing or similiar?
Old 01.05.2024, 21:58
Junior Loader

Quote:
Did you always zip whole logs folder? because all zips do only contain 1 log folder when there should be minimum two! one from session of JDownloader2.exe and one of the 2nd java(w).exe process.
Yup, I did.

Quote:
Are you any tools like sandboxing or similiar?
Nope, I don't.

Quote:
Well, this could be caused by damaged filesystem, so have you tried to install/move JDownloader to different drive/location?
I just tried copying c:\jd2 to another HDD and starting from there the same scenario unfolds. Based on this, I would guess filesystem corruption on C: drive is unlikely culprit.

Quote:
if situation is that bad I would backup my stuff and move on to different OS or full reinstall.
Yup, that's the plan. One of the problems is I have too much stuff on my system and too little time for this right now. The critical data is regularly backed up, however.

Quote:
Something on your system does causes this issue.
Yes, it seems so...

Quote:
I then can try to find out what is blocking/causing the issue.
Thank you again, but I'm not too keen on remote access solutions - again, this is too much hassle for me.
Would you happen to have any tips on how would I go about trying to find what's blocking it? If this is too complicated, I perfectly understand and we can conclude this thread by leaving it as it is now (I can still continue to use JD2, just with auto-updating disabled ).
Old 01.05.2024, 22:40
JD Manager

Quote:
I just tried copying c:\jd2 to another HDD and starting from there the same scenario unfolds. Based on this, I would guess filesystem corruption on C: drive is unlikely culprit.
I agree

Quote:
Would you happen to have any tips on how would I go about trying to find what's blocking it? If this is too complicated, I perfectly understand and we can conclude this thread by leaving it as it is now (I can still continue to use JD2, just with auto-updating disabled ).
I will prepare some stuff you can do/record in order to look further on this. I will also update some logging to have more verbosity where needed. I hope you can give me some time
Old 02.05.2024, 10:54
Junior Loader

Of course, take as much time as you need.
Old 29.05.2024, 09:04
Modem User

Default I.have the exact same problem on my win 7 media pc

Im from Germany and I have the exact same behaviour with jdownloader on my win 7 pc!

Is there already any solution or is any help with TeamViewer necessary?

Br Micha