JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 26.09.2017, 14:12
Fibre Channel User

Default Removing finished downloads

I have customized my JD2 Main Menu to include buttons for Removing All, Removing Selected, and Removing Finished Downloads. I have also added these as entries to my JD2 Context Menu.

I sometimes have a long list of downloads and these three entries help me keep things moving along. "Removing All" works as expected. "Remove Selected" also works as expected.

The button/context menu entry that I would want to use the most, "Remove Finished Downloads" only works if I highlight one or more of the downloads. This would be the behavior I would expect of "Removing Selected". "Remove Finished Downloads" ought to be able to work without having to highlight or select anything, much as "Remove All" works without doing so.

This factor has persisted for a long time; I had hoped that subsequent updates would sort this out, but I am here now to ask if the busy JD Team could find the time and the means to address this, please.

As stated before, and as bears repeating, your ongoing efforts with the Downloader are amazing. This is an excellent utility.

Many thanks.
Old 26.09.2017, 14:51
JD Manager

I cannot reproduce the issue.
The actions work fine in Menubar and Contextmenu.
Does this happen always or random?
Maybe we can do a Teamviewer session so you can show me? Send an e-mail to support@jdownloader.org
Old 26.09.2017, 14:53
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super JD View Post
This factor has persisted for a long time; I had hoped that subsequent updates would sort this out, but I am here now to ask if the busy JD Team could find the time and the means to address this, please.
We can only fix bugs we know of And of course we must be able to reproduce them
Old 26.09.2017, 15:23
Fibre Channel User

Thanks for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
We can only fix bugs we know of And of course we must be able to reproduce them
Yes, of course

I had posted about this some time ago while asking about something more urgent; likely more than one year ago. I had thought that this might end up getting resolved in one of your many updates. It hasn't been a crucial issue, and I haven't wished to bother you while there are other, more important matters at hand, but, as this aspect persits, I am revisiting it now.

Quote:
Does this happen always or random?
It happens always.

Here is what my "Menu Customizer: Downloads list - Rightclick menu" for the "Remove Finished Downloads" has shown as checked (enabled):

- Menuitem is visible

- Affected Links: Finished

- Bypass the 'Really?' Dialog

- Include Selected Links

- Include Unselected Links

- Item is visible for empty sections * SEE NOTE BELOW *

- Item is visible for selected links

Here is what my "Menu Customizer: Main Toolbar" shows as checked (enabled) for "Remove Finished Downloads":

- Menuitem is visible

- Bypass the 'Really?' Dialog Delete Mode

- Exclude filtered Links

- Include finished Links

- Visible in All Tab

- Visible in Download Tab

- Visible in Linkgrabber Tab

Perhaps the above information helps in lieu of being able to reproduce the problem on your end; alternatively, maybe you will note if I have enabled something by mistake, or have otherwise neglected to check/enable yet something else.

* REFERENCE TO ABOVE NOTE (Item is visible for empty sections) *

This entry, in particular, ought to show the context menu entry and allow to remove the download. It neither appears in my context menu, nor does it, obviously, allow for removal.

Again, many thanks.

Last edited by Super JD; 26.09.2017 at 15:27.
Old 26.09.2017, 17:37
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super JD View Post
The button/context menu entry that I would want to use the most, "Remove Finished Downloads" only works if I highlight one or more of the downloads.
I don't understand. For context menu you have to select something. how else do you open up the context menu?
Old 26.09.2017, 17:40
JD Manager

Can we do a teamviewer session? I'm unable to reproduce the issue
Maybe I did understand wrong, but the problem is that the button in menu bar is disabled until you have something selected, right?
Old 26.09.2017, 18:35
Fibre Channel User

Quote:
I don't understand. For context menu you have to select something. how else do you open up the context menu?
Well, yes and no. If I click on an empty white area within where downloads are listed, on the Downloads tab, I am able to access a context menu, though it doesn't show all of my customized entries - UNLESS - yes, I select a given download. A long time ago, prior to JD2, I was able to utilize my "remove all", "remove finished", and "remove selected" entries. So this did exist, though it hasn't worked for ages. I've been trying to enable this ever since.

Moreover, related to this, and to answer your other question:

Quote:
Maybe I did understand wrong, but the problem is that the button in menu bar is disabled until you have something selected, right?
Yes, exactly. My custom Main Menu button "Remove Finished Downloads" is disabled (greyed out) until I select something. "Remove All" is NOT disabled. The "Remove Finished Downloads" button used to be (at least in the Main Menu though not, for a long time, as noted above, in the context menu) until very recently likewise always enabled. The "Remove Selected" is, and as it should be, disabled/greyed out until I select something. This is logical; this also highlights the fact that "Remove Finished Downloads" should behave differently from that button, in that it ought to be enabled so long as there are any finished downloads in the list and without having to select something.

It's a quirk, but if I temporarily switch tabs, my "Remove Finished Downloads" button suddenly does become enabled without having to select anything. So clearly something is a) amiss and b) working differently than until recently.

The two issues are separate matters, clearly, though they are related insofar as I'm trying to accomplish the same action via two distinct means. Ideally I would like them both to be in effect.

I can elaborate further, if need be. TeamViewer, is not an option for me, unfortunately. Thank you for offering your help via that service.
Old 27.09.2017, 17:22
Fibre Channel User

Might this be solved without TeamViewer...?

Thanks again.
Old 27.09.2017, 18:30
JD Manager

Finally understood and can reproduce it. I'm on it
Old 27.09.2017, 21:51
Fibre Channel User

Outstanding. Thank you very much! Let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 28.09.2017, 11:26
JD Manager

Please try again with next core update. I hope I didn't break any stuff
Feedback would be nice
Old 28.09.2017, 15:54
Fibre Channel User

I'm currently running Core #37937.

This update has resulted in an advancement that I've been seeking for ages. My context menu now shows "Remove All" and - most importantly - "Remove Finished Downloads". That is an action that I use an enormous amount, so it's a huge help to have this so easily accessible in the context menu. It saves me lots of clicks. Thank you!

What doesn't (yet) work:

"Removed Finished Downloads" remains unselected/greyed out in the Main Toolbar.

Though this toolbar button and the context menu entry both trigger the same action, I would prefer to have them both; depending on what I'm doing I would more readily be drawn to one or the other. I may in fact be inclined to use the toolbar button more. That said, it's a great step to have at least one of the two features for now. But, if you have the time, I would be very happy if you could get the toolbar button to work as well.

I haven't noticed that anything has been broken as a result of your changes. I will certainly continue to follow up if or when I take note of anything that could be informative. It's the least I can do; your efforts and those of your team should be the standard that others making apps, browsers, and OS ought to be aspiring to. It's especially commendable how you patiently address the wishes and preferences of your user base. I encourage my fellow JDers to donate or to at least give a thank you wherever possible.
Old 28.09.2017, 18:25
JD Manager

will check/fix that tomorrow. Thanks for feedback!
Old 29.09.2017, 13:01
JD Manager

I'm sorry but I cannot reproduce the issue for Toolbar Button :(
This button works on current visible Table. So when you switch to Linkgrabber, it will disable because Linkgrabber cannot contain finished files.
With 'Exclude filtered Links' enabled , then the current list must contain a visible finished file.

Maybe you can check again the button settings and tell my step by step how to reproduce the issue?
Old 29.09.2017, 13:26
Fibre Channel User

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your main point:

Quote:
This button works on current visible Table. So when you switch to Linkgrabber, it will disable because Linkgrabber cannot contain finished files.
Of course, that makes sense. The problem is that the button is not enabled in the Downloads tab when there are finished downloads.

OK. Let's say I'm starting JD2 and there are no active or pending downloads in the Downloads tab. Everything is empty.

I copy a link and next I click on my Main Toolbar button "Analyse Text with Links".

The "Analyse and Add Links" dialog opens. I click "Continue" and the link is added in the LinkGrabber tab.

I right-click on the newly added entry in LinkGrabber and via the context menu I start the download.

A pop-up / bubble notifies me that the download has finished.

I now switch to the Downloads tab and I see the following button icon behavior in my customized Main Toolbar:

- "Remove All" enabled (This is OK)

- "Remove Selected" disabled / greyed out (This is OK and logical - I haven't selected anything)

- "Remove Offline Downloads" disabled / greyed out (This is OK and logical - There is only one finished download and it isn't offline)

NEXT IS THE PROBLEM BUTTON:

- "Remove Finished Downloads" disabled / greyed out (This is not OK - There is one finished download and I should be able to click on this button to remove my download)

IMPORTANT: If I click on the download or briefly switch tabs, the button becomes enabled. It ought to be enabled without doing this. It's noteworthy that this used to work perfectly well for a very long time. Recent updates - perhaps over the last month or so - have broken this somehow.

I hope this explanation helps. Thanks.

Last edited by Super JD; 29.09.2017 at 13:31.
Old 29.09.2017, 13:48
JD Manager

So when you switch tabs the button may work again, even without selecting anything, right?
Old 29.09.2017, 13:58
Fibre Channel User

Yes, if I switch to any other tab (including, Settings) and then switch back to the Downloads tab, the button becomes enabled.

In fact the button becomes enabled if I do any number of things; for instance:

- left-click on the download

- right-click on the download

- open a Menu Manager

- restart JD2 (my JD2 is set up not to remove finished downloads on close, so the list is still there on restart, if I haven't manually removed anything).

In short, I have to start clicking and moving around before a button that ought to logically be enabled in the Downloads tab whenever there are any finished downloads actually becomes enabled. Until very recently, the moment any finished downloads appeared in the Downloads tab, this toolbar button would instantly become enabled without requiring me to move and click around in order to make that happen.

And again, your update from yesterday now does this perfectly. As soon as there is a finished download, my context menu instantly enables my custom entry to "Remove Finished Downloads" if I am in the Downloads tab. Thanks again for doing that. The toolbar button should work under the same conditions too, in particular because it used to.

Last edited by Super JD; 29.09.2017 at 14:01.
Old 29.09.2017, 14:04
JD Manager

Thanks for the feedback. Then I know where to look. Seems somehow an event gets missing and therefore button isnt updated. I'll look into it
Old 29.09.2017, 14:16
Fibre Channel User

Thank you again.
Old 29.09.2017, 15:09
JD Manager

Try again with next core update
Old 29.09.2017, 17:04
Fibre Channel User

I look forward to it!
Old 29.09.2017, 17:31
JD Manager

Update is live
Old 29.09.2017, 17:50
Fibre Channel User

Quote:
Try again with next core update
Core updated to #37950 in time for the weekend and I very pleased to announce that the Main Toolbar button now works precisely as wished. Immediately upon completion of a download, the "Remove Finished Downloads" button turns from greyed out to its enabled and colored form, allowing me to, well, remove finished downloads.

All other toolbar buttons continue to behave as expected.

Best of all, my context menu entries continue to work according to your earlier efforts; all is exactly as I had aimed.

I hope that this thread has been of benefit to the many others who've viewed it, and indeed also in some way for the great crew at JD2.

(Applause)

Thank you very much!
Old 29.09.2017, 17:51
JD Manager

Thanks for the feedback