JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 12.04.2011, 15:00
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
this.
It says "do the test".

What "test"?

If you mean download a file with the firewall off, that will prove nothing.I can download dozens of files correctly with the firewall on. The error is intermittent.

Last edited by Gweilo; 12.04.2011 at 15:02.
Old 12.04.2011, 15:05
JD Manager

remove zonealarm and see if you encounter this issue again.

i can only repeat myself, this *not read all data* is not caused by java nor by jd. the socket data is intercepted between network and java by another software and not all data is forwarded
Old 12.04.2011, 15:19
JD Legend

Quote:
remove zonealarm and see if you encounter this issue again.

i can only repeat myself, this *not read all data* is not caused by java nor by jd. the socket data is intercepted between network and java by another software and not all data is forwarded

That WOULD PROVE NOTHING.

I can download 20 files correctly with the firewall on.

If you have a test suite of say 100 1 MB files I can download I would try that. Otherwise it would take me months to do a statistically significant number of downloads.

Last edited by Gweilo; 12.04.2011 at 15:21.
Old 12.04.2011, 15:39
remi

If you would be able to remove the ZA tool without leaving any remnants of it on your computer and the same error comes back then you've proven that ZA is not the cause.
Old 12.04.2011, 15:58
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
If you would be able to remove the ZA tool without leaving any remnants of it on your computer and the same error comes back then you've proven that ZA is not the cause.
You see that this is open-ended?
You're asking me to just disable my firewall indefinitely until I get an error?

For a day? A week?
Old 12.04.2011, 16:15
remi

No, it depends on your experiences with this error. As I said, you can temporarily replace your firewall with another. If you don't want to try Sygate you can try one that's recommended by drbits (see the sticky posts).
Old 12.04.2011, 16:17
JD Manager

i can only tell that the problem you have is caused by other software on your computer and not by java/jdownloader.
hxxp://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/io/InputStream.html#read%28%29
the next byte of data, or -1 if the end of the stream is reached.
-1 is recieved = no more data to read = something intercepted the download and that something can only be a firewall/av/spybot....

as many others have serious issues with zonealarm (rs not working at all, crc on downloads, clipboard not working....) i can only come to this conclusion that zonealarm is also causing your issue.
Old 12.04.2011, 20:26
JD Legend

Quote:
as many others have serious issues with zonealarm (rs not working at all, crc on downloads, clipboard not working....) i can only come to this conclusion that zonealarm is also causing your issue.
You are no doubt talking about the later, full suite Zone Alarm, not the old, simple firewall. I don't use the full featured version, not just because it costs money, but because it does have a reputation for being flaky.The original firewall product worked, and still works, fine.

It's like Norton Utilities back in the DOS days, lean, simple, powerful and reliable, before they turned into the lumbering behemoth of Norton now.

Regardless, none of that explains why this error occurs at 99.9%.

Anyway, I'm not willing to spend hours messing up the firewall that has been working perfectly well for several years now because of problems people have with different products. If you aren't going to act on my error report (except marking it "solved" without solving it) then I'll just live with it.
Old 12.04.2011, 22:05
JD Manager

i can only repeat myself over and over again. jd did read all data it received but all data received != all data send = something intercepted data and did not forward all bytes. no programm in the world can read more data that is available. the socket is end of line reached, no more data to go
Old 12.04.2011, 22:11
JD Manager

i'm willing to help but at this situation i can only wait for a test without zonealarm.
i can only repeat that zonealarm worked for the other users too since long time without any special settings and then from one moment to another, it caused issues for them.
Old 13.04.2011, 03:22
JD Legend

Quote:
i can only repeat myself over and over again. jd did read all data it received but all data received != all data send = something intercepted data and did not forward all bytes. no programm in the world can read more data that is available. the socket is end of line reached, no more data to go
JD obviously has a component that reads data, and another that makes and breaks connections. The reader thread isn't the problem. The connection could be broken by many things. But JD reports "Aborted by user". Not "connection broken". If the error messages mean anything at all, the problem is internal.

And the 99.9% timing can only be due to the disconnect jumping the gun.
Though most of the time, downloads work to completion.

Quote:
i'm willing to help but at this situation i can only wait for a test without zonealarm.
i can only repeat that zonealarm worked for the other users too since long time without any special settings and then from one moment to another, it caused issues for them.
I remain sceptical, and reiterate that you are talking about different programs from the same company, not the version I've used for over 5 years without issues.

I said I'd run a test suite if you had a bunch of small downloads I could run. But I'm not going to leave it unprotected for hours or days to make an inconclusive test.

So if my log doesn't give you enough information, just leave it at that.
Old 13.04.2011, 05:04
JD English Support (inactive)

Dear Gweilo,

The problem is not in JDownloader. It is because you are running a filter that (for some files) modifies the downloaded data or drops packets. (The JDownloader download engine has been tested millions of times and I have not seen a problem caused by it in the 1 1/2 years I have use JD.)

Even though ZA is supposed to be only a firewall, it will drop packets if it appears that they might contain an exploit. ZA has always erred on the side of safety, so it has a lot of false positives (firewalls should have no false positives).

If your router contains a firewall (most do), it filters out TCP and IP related attacks. If you want a software firewall and you are using a Windows OS (XP or later), you can enable the Microsoft Firewall and add exceptions for java.exe and javaw.exe. I personally prefer PCtools Free (for private use) Firewall, but it asks questions about "virus-like" behaviour.

If you are not using a real-time antivirus (all of them scan at least twice as often as necessary), please install an Intrusion Detection System (such as ThreatFire, free from PCtools.com). These look for dangerous activity and report it to you (so you can choose whether to allow it to continue). They are mostly just hooks into the OS and use almost no CPU time and very little memory.

Please read Choosing and installing security software.

Last edited by drbits; 13.04.2011 at 05:09.
Old 13.04.2011, 06:53
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
The problem is not in JDownloader. It is because you are running a filter that (for some files) modifies the downloaded data or drops packets.
No it isn't, but you can believe what you like.

Quote:
Even though ZA is supposed to be only a firewall, it will drop packets if it appears that they might contain an exploit.
Not the version I use.

And if it did, that would be reproducible.
It isn't. Resetting the download gets the same file correctly.

Last edited by Gweilo; 13.04.2011 at 07:00.
Old 13.04.2011, 11:12
Polish Supporter

@Gweilo

You can check your version of ZA and then check what was improved in the next version of this soft (maybe sth was improved with handling the packages etc) - hxxp://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html.
If your software is pretty old than problem may be with cooperation with latest OS libraries - old soft may start to behave strange with them.

Reading this forum for over a year I learn that most of the problems are with AV/FV.
Problem may not be reproducible because you can't reproduce all the conditions - CPU Usage, Memory Usage, running processes etc etc.

Connection may be closed because of high CPU usage: FV/AV started to test downloaded file and CPU is too busy to let jD and server to acknowledge finishing the transmission (RS has the possibility to verify CRC of the file, so after the data there are some more info sent to verify the file).

I don't know the specification of your OS, but for Win XP I can easily setup the conditions for breaking Internet connection when CPU usage is high.
Old 13.04.2011, 11:23
JD Manager

the crc errors for the other zonealarm users on rapidshare are also random. not reproducible but without zonealarm, no crc at all...

i still dont get it why you dont just try to remove zonealarm and check it yourself. its the fastest way and ONLY way to know if zonealarm is causing this.
Old 13.04.2011, 12:20
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
Anyway, I'm not willing to spend hours messing up the firewall that has been working perfectly well for several years now
I don't remember it was that difficult to un-install ZA nor that it was difficult to install.
I remember that you were having CRC errors some time ago. I'm not sure they disappeared but they might have been caused by ZA as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by editestowy View Post
Connection may be closed because of high CPU usage: FV/AV started to test downloaded file and CPU is too busy to let jD and server to acknowledge finishing the transmission (RS has the possibility to verify CRC of the file, so after the data there are some more info sent to verify the file).
This is the reason why it's not easy to reproduce such a situation. It's difficult to know which combination of processes and temporary lack of resources (CPU/memory/disk) are resulting in this packet loss (very probably) by ZA.
Old 13.04.2011, 12:22
JD Legend

Quote:
You can check your version of ZA and then check what was improved in the next version of this soft (maybe sth was improved with handling the packages etc) - hxxp://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html.
Thanks, but that doesn't have enough detail. It actually only has features of the pro version, which does have content filtering, and which I don't use.

Quote:
If your software is pretty old than problem may be with cooperation with latest OS libraries - old soft may start to behave strange with them.
I have Win2k, that's why I use old software when appropriate.

Quote:
I don't know the specification of your OS, but for Win XP I can easily setup the conditions for breaking Internet connection when CPU usage is high.
I'm often running encodes that use 99% of CPU, while doing a download and never noticed dropouts.
In the latest documented case I was just doing some light browsing.

Quote:
Connection may be closed because of high CPU usage: FV/AV started to test downloaded file .
How many times do I have to state that I do not have an antivirus running?

Quote:
This is the reason why it's not easy to reproduce such a situation. It's difficult to know which combination of processes and temporary lack of resources (CPU/memory/disk) are resulting in this packet loss (very probably) by ZA.
You'll consider any and everything except that JD might be at at fault.

Quote:
the crc errors for the other zonealarm users on rapidshare are also random. not reproducible but without zonealarm, no crc at all...

i still dont get it why you dont just try to remove zonealarm and check it yourself. its the fastest way and ONLY way to know if zonealarm is causing this.
Because the problem occurs in a small percentage of files, with no obvious pattern, I could download files for a week without error and still not prove anything either way.

------------------------------------------
I don't want to get into a big argument here.
I've uploaded a logfile, documented the problem, stated what I think the problem is, and you (collectively) think it must be ZA and won't consider any other possibility.

I'm tired of being lectured, so just leave it at "agree to disagree".

Last edited by Gweilo; 13.04.2011 at 12:56.
Old 13.04.2011, 12:30
remi

Do you have any reasons not to do the test by un-installing ZA?
Old 13.04.2011, 12:32
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
Because the problem occurs in a small percentage of files, with no obvious pattern, I could download files for a week without error and still not prove anything either way.
that was the same for the crc errors for all the other users and IN THE END it was ZONEALARM causing them. also the download aborts were caused by ZONEALARM.
you do not need an antivirus to make your firewall go crazy.

i will no longer waste my support time for this topic as long as you did not try to "remove zonealarm and try again"

Last edited by Jiaz; 13.04.2011 at 12:35.
Old 13.04.2011, 12:35
JD Manager

Quote:
Do you have any reasons not to do the test by un-installing ZA?
yes, because he wants us to think he knows better. and all other zonealarm users that had issues, he is different .......