JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 07.03.2010, 05:34
JD Legend

Default Extract when unselected

I set JD to download some files last night.
These were a kind of segmented zip file:
file.zip.001
file.zip.002
etc.

JD can't extract these (they're not HJsplit, despite having a similar naming system), but I can extract using Winrar or 7-zip, so I unset the "Extract" on the package.

However I found that JD had gone ahead and tried to combine these files using HJSplit, created a large .zip file, and in the process filled up the hard disk (space is tight, but I had enough to download and was going to extract to another drive), and so could not finish the other packages.

Also, despite there being zero space available, JD kept trying to download other files, of course failing every time.

It had the error "ErrorMessage: I O: There is not enough space on the disk" but then just tried to download another file to the same location regardless.

I can't see anything in the log about HJSplit or extract status, but here it is anyway: log.

Last edited by Jiaz; 10.03.2010 at 11:02.
Old 07.03.2010, 12:35
remi

You probably already know that there's a Feature #712 : Check free disk space before unpacking in the bug tracker. Just wait for the next major upgrade.

I'm not sure it will also check disk space before downloading a new file. This has been asked many times as well.
Old 07.03.2010, 13:15
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
You probably already know that there's a Feature #712 : Check free disk space before unpacking in the bug tracker. Just wait for the next major upgrade.

I'm not sure it will also check disk space before downloading a new file. This has been asked many times as well.
Yes, but the major issue here was that JD extracted (or tried to) despite that being unset. The disk space problem was a result of that, as it made a 2 GB zip file but was unable to go further, so did not delete the original segments and I didn't have 2 GB spare.
Old 07.03.2010, 15:29
remi

I know what your major issue is, but I have no solution for it. I prefer to solve the easiest problems first. You happen to attract unique problems.

BTW, are you the guy who was operating H.A.L. in Kubrick's "2001, A Space Odyssey"?
Old 07.03.2010, 18:26
JD Legend

Quote:
I know what your major issue is, but I have no solution for it. I prefer to solve the easiest problems first. You happen to attract unique problems.
I don't think I'm unique in having problems, but maybe I'm more likely to complain about them...

Anyway, it does seem odd that while when JDunrar does its thing I see the command line and some output in the log, but nothing at all is shown for HJSPlit.

If it would help I can give the URLs I was downloading, though it is a large file (2 GB is big for me anyway).

Quote:
BTW, are you the guy who was operating H.A.L. in Kubrick's "2001, A Space Odyssey"?
Dave Bowman (Keir Dullea). From the Greatest Movie Of All Time.

Last edited by Gweilo; 07.03.2010 at 18:37.
Old 08.03.2010, 06:18
JD English Support (inactive)

BUGTRACKER

The Zip part will be fixed when unZip capability is added to JDownloader.

JD is supposed to check the file signature before combining files, so this is a bug (the leading PK should have been a tip-off). Currently, the check box is ignored for Merging.
Old 08.03.2010, 10:34
JD Manager

because of unsupported split format we temporarily disabled the part deletion of hjmerge files! also the part files only get deleted if merge is complete! not while merging (so merging of 2gb files needs 2gb empty space)! it would be bad idea to delete part while merging because if something goes wrong you lost the other parts

also jd already checks if its allowed to merge the files or not and its working okay as far as we know. we need example links that cause problems!
zip files can be merged because they use the same technique!
Old 08.03.2010, 10:37
JD Manager

extract checkbox is not for hjmerge! please write feature request if you want this
Old 08.03.2010, 10:56
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
Dave Bowman (Keir Dullea). From the Greatest Movie Of All Time.[/IMG]
Since you don't allow PMs I would like to add to that statement "By the Greatest Director Of All Time".
Old 08.03.2010, 11:39
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
because of unsupported split format we temporarily disabled the part deletion of hjmerge files! also the part files only get deleted if merge is complete! not while merging (so merging of 2gb files needs 2gb empty space)! it would be bad idea to delete part while merging because if something goes wrong you lost the other parts
I disabled the HJ deletion a long time ago because it created an invalid file and deleted the parts, I had to retrieve the whole set again.

Quote:
also jd already checks if its allowed to merge the files or not and its working okay as far as we know. we need example links that cause problems!
zip files can be merged because they use the same technique!
If JD is actually supposed to combine regardless of "extract", then it was technically correct after all.

But even if zip.00x can be merged to a valid zip (which I'm not sure they can, always -- I think I had problems when it was a passworded 7-zip archive, for instance) there is no point, it just wastes time and space as JD can't complete the extract. 7-Zip and Winrar can extract without combining first.

So I want it to only combine data files like *.avi.00x, not split archives.
The rest I will choose the application myself.

Here's my links:
Spoiler:
Code:
**External links are only visible to Support Staff**

These may be able to be combined to a valid zip, I didn't check that, there is no password so maybe it works.

Quote:
extract checkbox is not for hjmerge! please write feature request if you want this
It isn't really obvious that there should be a distinction between "merging" and "extracting". I know they are different, but both involve processing a set of downloaded files to get ("extract") the files you actually want.

I for one did expect this to already be the behaviour; and I don't think this was an unreasonable assumption. Maybe you could relabel the option as "process archives".

Now I know how you classify this, I've found and unchecked "Enabled" on the HJSplit Addons menu. By the way, surely if not "Enabled" it should toggle to "Disabled".

Last edited by Gweilo; 08.03.2010 at 12:00.
Old 08.03.2010, 13:31
remi

Cool

Quote:
7-Zip and Winrar can extract without combining first.
I'm a simple customer and I've never understood why extracting files was made so complex, while with Z-Zip I can always extract files.

Thanks to 7-Zip's knowledge about archiving formats all the needless complications are simply avoided.
Old 09.03.2010, 04:51
drbits
Message deleted by drbits. Reason: duplicate
Old 09.03.2010, 04:54

And 7za (the API version) expands most compressed archives and merges most split files. The archive format that 7za does not handle (natively) is RAR. The unrar library is proprietary to the unrar author.

The collection of split files needed to restore a whole file is a form of archive. The merging is a form of extraction as far as users are concerned. JD users rarely split files or create archives, so the distinction is not relevant to the users.

Since none of the archive processors that deal with split archives merge the files first, archives should not be merged. The exception is a split tgz. A tar file can be split with HJsplit (or equivalent) and then each part can be zipped. In that case, the file has to be uncompressed before merging the split portions.

There is already a feature request that includes merging the functionality of Merge and Extract. This is necessary from a user's point of view to do a deep extraction.
Old 09.03.2010, 14:06
JD Manager

jd already handles this correct

you can split a rar archive with normal rar splitter eg rar.r01 rar.r02 and so

but you can also split an rar.rar archive with hjsplit and result in rar.001 rar.002 and so on. this needs to be merged first!
Old 09.03.2010, 15:47
JD Legend

Quote:
jd already handles this correct
Sorry, no it does not.

In the case I reported, all JD did was waste time and 2 GB of file space by combining the zip.00x files to a giant zip file which it could not extract. The utilities that can extract it can just as easily use the original zip.00x fileset.

Only if you don't care about wasting time and disk space is it "correct" to create such a useless file.

Quote:
you can split a rar archive with normal rar splitter eg rar.r01 rar.r02 and so

but you can also split an rar.rar archive with hjsplit and result in rar.001 rar.002 and so on. this needs to be merged first!
Theoretically, but why would anyone split a rar archive like that instead of doing it within WinRar?

If someone was clueless enough to make such a file archive, I could deal with it as a special case. I don't want JD to do anything with it, and that is why I unselected "Extract" for that package.

HJsplit should only run automatically on things like .avi.00x.

Last edited by Gweilo; 09.03.2010 at 15:49.
Old 09.03.2010, 15:52
JD Manager

Quote:
Sorry, no it does not.

In the case I reported, all JD did was waste time and 2 GB of file space by combining the zip.00x files to a giant zip file which it could not extract. The utilities that can extract it can just as easily use the original zip.00x fileset.
the behaviour of jd was correct, the resulted 2gb zip file can be extracted. how should jdhjmerge know that jd cannot extract zip files. for the enduser the result is the same (no difference between 1 2gb file or 20 100mb files )
jdhjmerge merges files that need to get merged! thats its job and thats what it does
Old 09.03.2010, 18:06
JD Legend

Quote:
the behaviour of jd was correct, the resulted 2gb zip file can be extracted. how should jdhjmerge know that jd cannot extract zip files.
What? Because you (or whoever) wrote it and you (they) know it can't.
If it was a .xyz file you might claim ignorance, but zip is not a mystery format.

Quote:
for the enduser the result is the same (no difference between 1 2gb file or 20 100mb files )
Yes there is a difference, because the original files are not deleted, so it takes up twice as much space, which was critical in this case, as it consumed all the filespace I had allocated for the other downloads. And I'm still not convinced that in every case the merged files is usable. At any rare, it's not more usable than the original set of files, as they can be extracted without merging. The 2 GB file is at best redundant, and at worst, as in my case, a problem.

Quote:
jdhjmerge merges files that need to get merged! thats its job and thats what it does
Right. But these files DO NOT need to be merged.
There is no point or use in merging them.
I specifically did not want JD to even try.

Anyway, I know now how to prevent this from happening (now I know that despite my expectation that "merging" and "extracting" are treated differently) so my own problem is solved.

It seems that you are satisfied with the logic of the program in this respect so no point suggesting changes.
Old 09.03.2010, 20:33
JD Manager

1.) merging them is fine (as zip uses the same technique)
1.1) why should we start blacklisting if the merged file also works fine and with enabled deletion its the same?
2.) as i already told the deletion of the parts is temporarily disabled because of an unsupported split format (enabled deletion would kill your download in that case)
Old 09.03.2010, 20:39
JD Manager

blacklisting a filetype that works fine when merged correctly is advantage in my eyes. as i said before...i dont think there is a difference betweend 1 big file or many small files

okay the non deletion of the part files sucks at the moment, but that will be working again with next update!
Old 09.03.2010, 21:42

It really should only merge when it knows the split signature. That would mean that the unsupported split would not be merged (or that the signature has to be more specific).

If the file was split by a Zip program, the signature should be different from a zip file that was split by a splitter. The file name regex is a prerequisite for checking for a corresponding signature (header that indicates the split). I know there are at least four places you have to check for signatures, depending on the splitter.

I think in this case, either PK was included in the signatures (bad decision) or no signature was found, so a merge was done based on the regex of the name.

I am currently downloading to a USB 2.0 drive. This uses PIO, not DMA. That means that the processor is involved in the copy from external bus to file. When it is two way, it is much slower. That extra post-process would take a long time.

Quote:
but why would anyone split a rar archive like that instead of doing it within WinRar?
As archives are moved from host to host, they sometimes have to be smaller size pieces. If it is copied to ugotfile, there is no limit to file size, it just splits the file into 100MiB pieces. They cannot unrar and rerar because of the passwords on many files (and they are less smart than JD).
Old 09.03.2010, 21:49
JD Manager

hjsplit files DONT have a signature

JD already checks for any known signatures and do not merge parts if each file has a valid signature!

if more than one part contains a fileheader then it will not be merged as its done by other software. if a valid split header or only one header is found then merging is okay
Old 10.03.2010, 01:42
JD Legend

Quote:
1.) merging them is fine (as zip uses the same technique)
1.1) why should we start blacklisting if the merged file also works fine and with enabled deletion its the same?
I am not so confident that merging will always be fine.
But the question is not why not merge every fileset you (think) you can, but why merge at all if it only gives you a (very large) intermediate file that JD cannot do anything with?

What is the advantage?
What good is this big zip file? What can you do with it that you couldn't do with the original segments?
And the cost is 1) filespace 2) some minutes intensive processing to create the file.

Rather than a blacklist, it should use a whitelist of formats that it can safely and completely merge and extract.

Quote:
2.) as i already told the deletion of the parts is temporarily disabled because of an unsupported split format (enabled deletion would kill your download in that case)
But the creation of that (unwanted and unnecessary) merged file blocked the next download, causing a delay of several hours.

Last edited by Gweilo; 10.03.2010 at 01:49.
Old 10.03.2010, 06:31

@ Jiaz,
I am sorry, I misunderstood you about HJsplit in the past.

@ Gweilo,
You were inconvenienced. I think it is getting blown out of proportion. I have seen Zip files that were split. Your disk space problem and the subsequent delay in downloading other files is your own fault. It is important to keep at least 3 times the empty space as you will use for one program (for most editors and most archive programs).

@ Jiaz,
It is possible to distinguish a multi-volume Zip archive from an archive that has been split. multi-volume archives have the size of each volume in the index.

If you reassemble a multi-volume rar archive, it probably will be broken. Rar adds checksums and other data to the end of each volume.

Reassembly before extraction is an old approach for Zip. It has not been used by PKzip or WinZip for years, because with fixed sized volumes (except the last), extracting from multiple volumes is much faster. 7za never reassembles volumes to extract files. However, it can reassemble most split files.
Old 10.03.2010, 08:07
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
You were inconvenienced. I think it is getting blown out of proportion. I have seen Zip files that were split. Your disk space problem and the subsequent delay in downloading other files is your own fault. It is important to keep at least 3 times the empty space as you will use for one program (for most editors and most archive programs).
I realise you are trying to be helpful, but you can also be very patronising and dismissive.
Implying that I'm a clueless idiot and remarks like "it's your own fault" are offensive.

I did not "blow anything out of proportion".
I simply reported exactly what happened.

I knew exactly how much disk space I needed and allowed for that.
I know how long it takes to download files and I planned to deal with them the next day, using another drive.

No, it's not a big deal that I lost 8 hours of download time.
Jiaz couldn't see any downside and I was replying to that.

And from your other posts it seems you too assumed that the "Extract" option for a package also governed HJSpit, and you certainly agree that the policy of combining any fileset just because it is possible is not a good idea.

But please restrain yourself from lecturing me on the ABCs of how to use a computer. If you think the issue is trivial, just ignore it.
Old 10.03.2010, 11:01
JD Manager

i will think about a blacklist what not to merge, okay?
whitelist would be too long blacklist is much smaller!

jdhjmerge already can differ between hjsplit splitted rar archives or normal rar splitted archives! same way goes with other fileformats!
as hjsplit and many other formats do not have a fileheader to tell that the file had been splitted, we added our own check. only if 1 valid fileheader/signature is found in all parts, jd starts to merge, as rar/7zip and other formats add fileheader/signature to every part and this is recognized by jd!
Old 10.03.2010, 11:02
JD Manager

http://svn.jdownloader.org/issues/show/1428
Old 10.03.2010, 11:26
JD Legend

Quote:
i will think about a blacklist what not to merge, okay?
whitelist would be too long blacklist is much smaller!
My personal whitelist would have two or three entries.

But, whichever you do, it would be nice if this list could be edited by users, not hard wired.

Accepting regex would let users make it either a black or white list.
But I'd settle for a simple list if that's hard.

Until then I've just turned it off and will merge manually.
Old 10.03.2010, 12:00
JD Manager

what more filetypes do you want not to merge?
Old 10.03.2010, 13:51
JD Legend

Quote:
Excellent, thanks.

Quote:
what more filetypes do you want not to merge?
.zip, .rar for a start.
The appropriate archive apps can work as easily with the segments as a monolithic file.
drbits says he sees HJSplit RAR files, but I never have.
Thus my suggestion of a user-definable list to accommodate both of us.

And as I said, my whitelist would be shorter.
.avi
.mkv
and that's all.
Others might add
.iso
.flac
perhaps, but I rarely get that kind of file myself, and if I do they seem to be in RAR .r0x format rather than HJSplit.

Last edited by Gweilo; 10.03.2010 at 13:54.
Old 11.03.2010, 06:12

I am sorry Gweilo, I do not mean to be condescending.

The three times the disk space you think you need rule of thumb is not as important as it used to be, but it is always a good guideline.

JD will eventually check disk space before performing most tasks. It just has not gotten there yet. I think that will come after some of the major internal changes.

I have not seen any other archive types than Zip in which a segmented archive looks so much like a split file.

@ Jiaz,
I like the idea of a blacklist better than a whitelist.

The number of extensions in use is at least in the tens of thousands. A large percentage of them grow big enough to split (over 1.44 MB, but realistically 15,000,000 bytes). Fortunately, the traditional Unix and MacOS used tar and sit, which are not multivolume. The OSX and Linux installers use many different extensions, some of them are zip or 7z volumes and some are splits. Even Jar files come both ways (but are more likely splits, unless it is part of a scene release). Because of tar, the Unix/Linux users got used to splits. Windows users are not used to splits.

The way to distinguish a split Zip from a multivolume Zip is to look at the first two bytes of each file. If they are all PK it is a multivolume. Since you cannot tell a Zip file from its extension, you always have to check this. I believe the same applies to RAR and 7z (different signatures). With early zip files, you could merge volumes and unzip. More modern versions do not always merge into a usable file (an index is allowed only at the end of a volume and they have started distributing the index in some cases).

Whatever you use has to check again after extraction/Merging. Scene releases of music or a small group of files are normally 15,000,000 bytes. These are usually rar (a few use zip). If the data is large enough the scene uses 50,000,000 bytes (15 files per full CD). Many RS or HF files are rar containers (no compression), containing a scene release. The RS and scene sizes do not divide evenly.

Sorry I got carried away.
drbits

Last edited by drbits; 11.03.2010 at 06:17.
Old 11.03.2010, 07:03
JD Legend

Quote:
I am sorry Gweilo, I do not mean to be condescending.

The three times the disk space you think you need rule of thumb is not as important as it used to be, but it is always a good guideline.
I can see that you really can't stop yourself from lecturing. So while others might do this as a veiled insult, I will assume you just have no idea what the effect is of your "computing for dummies" homilies.

Otherwise:
Quote:
The way to distinguish a split Zip from a multivolume Zip
Which misses the point that JD cannot decode a zip of any kind, whereas the programs that can don't need the file to be merged. So JD doesn't need to distinguish, it should just leave them all alone.
Old 11.03.2010, 07:23

Quote:
So JD doesn't need to distinguish, it should just leave them all alone.
You are right about multivolume Zip archives.

However, Zips and Rars are often split after archiving (moving from MU to RS and many Linux users).

Since JD offers a Merge functionality, single archives that have been split should be merged. The user cannot tell the difference between a multivolume archive and a split archive.

One of the changes over the years is that M$ assumption that file extensions identify the type of contents has become less and less true.

Spliter programs really should add a signature, length, and checksum to each file. On the other hand, Windows users who can use the command line (10%?) can just type
copy MyArk.* MyArk to reassemble an HJsplit, because they have added no validation data. You can do the same thing in Emacs or GreaseMonkey with the right script.
Old 11.03.2010, 11:38
remi

Cool

Quote:
"computing for dummies" homilies.
:biggrin: But I like these homilies because I'm a simple customer.
Old 11.03.2010, 12:00
JD Manager

i hope jd7zip will be worked on soon, so we dont need to continue this discussion
Old 23.03.2010, 05:42
JD Fan

Just had disk full errors that sound very similar to those described above. HJSPLIT is not able to fully re-create the file due to lack of space but since HJSPLIT is not deleting the individual files as it goes along and hasn't been for some time (which I reported months ago) I have to clean-up after it. But I don't always realize that the file has not been reconstructed properly because of the lack of space and I delete the individual files only to find that when I try to extract the archive or play the file that there is a problem.

When will the HJSPLIT cleanup problem be fixed? And can't a general error message be displayed when a combine function fails and stop the rest of the program from trying to continue on creating multiple unknown failures? Unless you're extracting/combining to a different location there is no reason to continue with downloads, extracts or combining.
Old 23.03.2010, 11:02
JD Manager

http://svn.jdownloader.org/issues/show/1476

auto deletion will come back once
http://svn.jdownloader.org/issues/show/968
is done, because they use the same file extensions!