JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 24.11.2009, 03:21
JD Manager

java needs around 50% -75% more initial ram in linux than on windows.
the mem usage you see is
java+jd+heap
heap is only freed if not needed by jd and needed by os (means your os memory must be FULL in order that java will free unneeded memory), else heap will get freed very slowly.
its okay on linux that jd needs around 100-150mb on init.
you can change this alot by tweaking with java options and its garbage collector but that depends heavily on os, system, java version and so on.
my eclipse needs around 900 mb
Old 24.11.2009, 11:33
remi

Cool

That clearly excludes running jD on an older Linux PC with 128 MB RAM.

What are the minimum requirements for jD to run comfortably on a Linux box?

Last edited by remi; 24.11.2009 at 11:36.
Old 24.11.2009, 13:01
JD Manager

128 is clearly not enough. 512m is a good start (because your os also wants some ram and your browser too and so on)
you can tweak settings a lot, but thats very depending on os, java, and so on
Old 28.11.2009, 10:00
JD English Support (inactive)

Right now, my Private Bytes for JD is over 550MB in Process Explorer. I have seen it at 630MB.

I have reported having memory problems before (various versions of JD Pinky, Brain, Nightlies). I have now uninstalled all of my antivirus and firewall software (I have a good in-coming firewall in the DSL router). I have spybot, but the "real-time" parts are not functional and the innoculation is removed.
I have also removed as much of the Microsoft SDK as I can, cigwin, and an assortment of other software. I have cleaned the registry and the Winsock stack.

The paging file is not thrashing (4-5 real paging file reads/second), so it seem like it is not the Java heap. I can try using HeapWalk, memory monitor, and Object Manager monitor to see where the memory is going. I am not sure if this is worthwhile. Can you suggest anything?

I think I may have to reinstall the OS and add things back one at a time. I will keep XP Home OEM SP3 (NT version 5.1) instead of changing to Vista (NT version 6) or NT version 7.

JD version -Nightly- 0.9.876 on Java 16u17 (32 bit).
Max Dls. usually set to 6, because I tend to have connections waiting for slots.
Maximum 1 connection per DL.
Windows XP SP3 with all applicable updates, including IE8 and MS Office 2007.
I use JD from FireFox 3.5.5.
My computer is a 2002 HP Pentium 4 (2 GHz) with 1 GB of memory.
My video card is an ATI Radion 8500 with TV functionality turned off.
Also running uTorrent and Perfectdisk (all concurrent). uTorrent is throttled to 20KB/s download speed. uTorrent and Perfectdisk run at a lower priority than JD.

JD is currently running with no active connections (I am about to restart it to get the log turned on). There appears to be a very slow increase in Private bytes (100K/hour), even though I have no connections.
Old 28.11.2009, 10:58
remi

Cool

I'm running XP SP3 with a very small memory and jD currently uses around 30 MB/ Max.Con. = 2 and 2 simultaneous downloads.
Azureus and my browser currently use 80 and 90 MB respectively, but they're doing a lot more.
I use Sygate Personal Firewall and I've never had any complaints about it.
Old 28.11.2009, 19:50
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
JD is currently running with no active connections (I am about to restart it to get the log turned on). There appears to be a very slow increase in Private bytes (100K/hour), even though I have no connections.
logentries do also need memoryso even when jd is doing NOTHING it generates debug messages in logfile (eg scheduler, bytebuffer controller and such things). that could explain the SLOW increase in memory usage.

currently there are no known memleaks in jd, all new reports were caused by firewall/antivirus/win7 64bit.

+ we are always improving jd memory/cpu usage

@remi: thats a really good value my jd needs around 150mb under linux
Old 29.11.2009, 12:49
remi

Cool

Yes, I'm amazed by the amount of memory some people need to run jD.

I think the small memory of my PC forces the Java garbage collector to do its work. At the moment my jD is using 15 MB with one download.

I suppose the more memory you buy, the more Java/Windoze will use.
Old 29.11.2009, 15:35
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I suppose the more memory you buy, the more Java/Windoze will use.
thats correct behaviour. i dont need an os that only use 10% of my memory. memory should always be used at 90-100%. (apps, caches, buffers and so on)
Old 29.11.2009, 21:18

Is the log in memory, not a file with a scroll window? In my last message in this thread, logging was NONE in Settings->Basic.

Is the Link List in memory, not in the database and read as needed? If the Link List is in memory, that can explain most of my memory problems.

Java should use more memory on computers with more memory, but not 2/3 of memory. I see log entries about memory errors if I change the -XMx option to -Xmx384m, but -Xmx468m seems to work fine.
Old 29.11.2009, 21:35
JD Manager

Quote:
Is the Link List in memory, not in the database and read as needed? If the Link List is in memory, that can explain most of my memory problems.
Edit by Jiaz: log is in memory, not on disk! if you dont need log, disable it

Java should use more memory on computers with more memory, but not 2/3 of memory. I see log entries about memory errors if I change the -XMx option to -Xmx384m, but -Xmx468m seems to work fine.
Edit by Jiaz: jd cannot use more than 512mb heap by default. more = memleak in windows/java/firewall/virusscanner. .Xmx384 works fine here and so do 200
see comments
Old 30.11.2009, 11:44
remi

Cool

Quote:
I think it's kept in memory, but it doesn't make much sense to have too many (thousands) links in your queue, because the corresponding files can go off-line. You can of course check them again but that means more manual work.
Old 30.11.2009, 15:14
JD Manager

Quote:
I think it's kept in memory, but it doesn't make much sense to have too many (thousands) links in your queue, because the corresponding files can go off-line. You can of course check them again but that means more manual work.
once the downloadhistory is done, this is no problem because the links will be saved in database and only move to memory when accessed.
Old 05.12.2009, 20:14
Tyop

Someone works on it?
Old 06.12.2009, 09:41

@Tyop:
I don't think there is a known problem to work on.

The team is always looking for ways to save memory.

There is a peculiar bug in some security software that causes memory problems with JDownloader (and I am trying to find that program on my computer). With a fresh copy of an OS, JDownloader is very conservative in memory use.
Old 06.12.2009, 19:20
Tyop

I was asking about download history (and please, save it in separate datafile. Now JD hangs for 5 seconds saving database every time i move single package on list\enable\ disable download etc.).
Old 06.12.2009, 23:30
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyop View Post
I was asking about download history (and please, save it in separate datafile. Now JD hangs for 5 seconds saving database every time i move single package on list\enable\ disable download etc.).
sounds more like a broken database. you should not have an issue with that!
how big is your config folder?

downloadhistory is on todo list and im sure it will be in a different database
Old 07.12.2009, 06:35
Tyop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
sounds more like a broken database. you should not have an issue with that!
how big is your config folder?
905K database.log
418 database.properties
7.2M database.script
4 version.cfg

(on a pretty slow comp with a pretty slow media but on a faster proc it behaved same)
Quote:
downloadhistory is on todo list and im sure it will be in a different database
Sorry, i thought that you will of course choose Bad Design Idea, like merging configuration of program with filedatabase into single file;) But still no one coded a single line for it, right?
Old 07.12.2009, 14:35
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyop View Post
7.2M database.script
your database is broken unless you have several thousand files in your list.
if that is NOT the case i would finish my downloads and then clean the config folder to get rid of the broken database and setup fresh jd
a normal database is around 100kb and 2mb
Old 07.12.2009, 17:23
Tyop

Hmm, dlc file is 2.3M, jdc 6.6M, so you're probably right, that database is quite old. But making new config is not possible - it will delete download history, thing that i try to avoid.
And that reminds me about other Bad Design Idea - make impossible to export and import [tested dlc and jdc, and they are hilarious] links without information that file status is 100% downloaded or not…
Old 08.12.2009, 12:37
remi

Cool

The DLC container mechanism was not created for backing up status information of links.

That status information is in the config database. You can make backups of your database, but once it is corrupt this doesn't make sense any more.

If there are no repairing tools I'm afraid you'll not be able to repair it yourself, because the format isn't human readable. That's a big disadvantage of databases in general.
Old 08.12.2009, 16:26
Tyop

Thank you for telling me things I already knew. You're so clever
Old 09.12.2009, 12:23
remi

Cool

Is there anything else you would like to know concerning your issue?
Old 09.12.2009, 22:37

@Jiaz:
Is the database using one of the common DB libraries that we might find tools for?

For instance, the full version of most DBMS can automatically copy the DB contents into another DB instance, leaving behind the dead space. For that matter, they can usually bebuild the indices (plural for index ).

@Tyop:
If the file is there, JDownloader will figure out not to re-download it.

If you are looking to save your completion history, select all of your completed packages, create a DLC, select the rest, create a DLC. Exit JDownloader and rename your configuration directory.

Restart JDownloader. Load the DLC for the completed packages, and disable them. Load the DLC for the rest of the link list and you are ready to go. You will lose the status of how much is downloaded within a package, but JDownloader will figure that out when it tries to download the links.

Last edited by drbits; 09.12.2009 at 22:49.
Old 10.12.2009, 03:13
JD Manager

the database contains serialized java objects. we only use put/get commands you can of course open it with texteitor, but after that you will only see the serialzed objects.
Old 10.12.2009, 19:20
Tyop

Quote:
@Tyop:
If the file is there, JDownloader will figure out not to re-download it.
Of course the files aren't there. (Really, who is so stupid to hold downloaded files intact for a year? This is not a p2p!) Rest of your recipe is better, but as in JD i can't (?) mark files/packages as downloaded manually, the only thing by i could distinguish downloaded packages from not downloaded would be 'disabled' status. Very brilliant idea

(Sarcasm !!!!!!)
Old 11.12.2009, 13:49
remi

Cool

I think drbits' recommendations are very relevant.

Until there is a real history feature, you can also drag all your disabled (and downloaded) history links in one package that you rename to "download history".
Old 15.12.2009, 20:43
Fumz

Default Memory Usage

I'm having the same problem, which only turned up recently... since the xmas inspired update.

Windows 7 x64. 4GB RAM. Comodo Firewall. Bit Defender 2010 AV.
JDownloader v. 0.9.579

After about 6 hours of using JDownloader, and only JDownloader (overnight dl) the machine's memory usage is at 70%. Closing JDownloader does not release the memory. Watching the movies, without first rebooting, will result in a bsod:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88003E7211F
BCP3: FFFFF88007CFD308
BCP4: FFFFF88007CFCB60
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Comodo firewall has been in training mode, so there was never any need to add java and javaw to the apps list; however, I did it anyway and the problems still persist. Bit Defender is set to NOT scan inside archives or scan http traffic.
Old 16.12.2009, 01:46

We know that Sun and Microsoft have not fixed the problems in Windows 7 and Java that cause a major memory leak. Apparently, this leak is in the OS global object heap or it would not cause a BSoD after all Java programs are terminated (I assume you waited at least 15 seconds before trying to watch the movie). This BSoD means that the problem is in the base kernel of NT 6.1 (which is the technical name for Windows 7).

Suggestions:
1) Find a real operating system. Regardless of what MS says, 6.1.7600 is still in Beta.
2) I would run all Java programs within a virtual machine. If you can run Java programs within the XP compatibility pack, that may solve your problem. Which installation do you have? Home, Professional, Ultimate? Retail or OEM by whom?
3) Make sure your Paging file is at least 8GB (I know that is more than normal, but you have an OS memory leak). This should allow the "Island" objects (those not actually part of a program) to swap out of memory and avoid the BSoD.
4) Make sure the system error is reported to MS. The sooner they fix this, the better.
5) If you have a router with a firewall in it, uninstall the Comodo firewall (check the Comodo forum for a "Removal tool" to clean up remaining traces.
6) I don't care what your settings are, get rid of BitDefender. It has too many problems. Again, uninstall and check for a removal tool.
The problem is that regardless of the settings, the AV and firewall have drivers and/or LSPs installed that make direct kernel calls (or are installed as part of the kernel).
6a) Get a scan-only antivirus program or one that only scans when an existing file is opened for read or execute.
7) If you upgraded to Windows 7, back everything up, and installl it as a new installation. Then, restore only your personal files (including your e-mail, etc.), but not the registry or ini or inf (etc.) files. Reinstall all of your applications. There are bugs in the installer that leave (possibly) harmful junk in the registry.

The culprit here cannot be JDownloader. It does not make direct kernel calls. Every object it allocates should be seized by the OS when the program exits.

Since Microsoft will not share information about the part of the OS that is at fault, you will have to wait for a kernel patch. Sun and the JD team are unable to fix this.
Old 16.12.2009, 10:42
Fumz

drbits,

Perhaps I wasn't clear? I had no memory leak until 4 days ago. I have been using 7 (x64 Ultimate retail), Bitdefender and Comodo without issue the entire time. I could run JD all day, close it to game for a few hours, watch a movie afterwards, reload JD for the night and in the morning repeat the process. All was good; I never had to reboot. Now... all is not good.

Since I update Bitdefender manually and haven't done so since last week, the only new additions to the machine are the JD updates. There was an update to JD that came today and the leak is less severe, but one thing is for sure: the leak is a function of the updates.

Just in this thread users of XP, Vista (x86 & x64), Seven and Linux all report the same issue, so I'm not sure what you mean by, "find a real OS", nor am I sure why you made it your number one point? It wasn't helpful... or practical.

Everything you said about Sun and MS may very well be true? I have no reason to doubt you or your sincerity; however, one cannot escape the fact that the issue presented itself only recently, and that, to me, is a clue that perhaps the solution is more complex than just, "get a real OS?"

Previously I ran Vista x64 (ultimate retail), Bitdefender, Comodo and JD without even as much as a hiccup.
Old 16.12.2009, 12:44
remi

Cool

Although Vista probably was the worst M$ OS ever released, don't think W7 is a good OS. You probably believe everything politicians say. Isn't it? M$ has an extremely powerful marketing machine, comparable to the propaganda machine during Hitler's regime.

If you would remove all that virus crap, your computer would run better as well. The problem is that most Windoze customers are so afraid of using their OS, that they need all that virus crap to defend their crap OS.

If you're still running a 64 bit version of Java then you need to replace that by a 32 bit version. The 64 bit version causes many problems

Your problems will be gone.
Old 16.12.2009, 13:48
Fumz

Quote:
Although Vista probably was the worst M$ OS ever released, don't think W7 is a good OS. You probably believe everything politicians say. Isn't it? M$ has an extremely powerful marketing machine, comparable to the propaganda machine during Hitler's regime.
Remy,

I never gave my opinion on Windows Vista or Windows 7, nor did I ask for yours. I'm just here because JDownloader has a memory leak and I assumed I was posting relevant info in the proper thread? If you're confused about that, then I suggest you re-read Jiaz's first post in the thread, because all you've done here, aside from making a bunch of incorrect assumptions, is insult someone for following the rules.

How did you miss that before you hit the reply button?

As for your suggestion that I remove my anti-virus... well... that's not something I'm prepared to do either. My computers run just fine; in fact, they run excellently and I don't recall complaining about performance... but then, it seems you're reading a lot of words that just aren't on the page today...
Old 16.12.2009, 20:25
JD Manager

JD has NO memory leak, its comodo or bitdefnder (no you dont have to setup scan inside archives) its the ONLINE scanner (use boardsearch, comodo caused memleaks for many other users too). also there has been no update since weeks so it CANNOT be jd its either comodo or bitdefender.
i suggest to disable the online/web/http scanning completey and to be sure, deinstall both, restart computr and test again..

its not jd whos having the memleak.
Old 16.12.2009, 20:27
JD Manager

Closing JDownloader does not release the memory

THIS is a 100% sign its NOT JD because no java process memory gets freed.
its 99% comodo, 1% bitdefender
Old 17.12.2009, 08:06

Jiaz, can you recommend a specific tool for examining the Java heap and the JD heap?

If you are on Windows and having serious memory problems, one thing to do is to check for parts of programs you thought you uninstalled.

First, save a restore point. This backs up your registry, etc.

In your device manager, in the View window, set View hidden devices.
Then, go through the non-PNP drivers section. Make sure none of the drivers correspond to an uninstalled program (deleting these involves editing the registry). If you cannot figure out what you are looking at, make a copy in a text file, make a RAR archive of it and attach it to a PM to drbits (me).

Use Google to find a LSPFIX. Download and install it. This is a program that will diskpay all of the special Windows sockets drivers (LSPs). If any of them are for a program you have uninstalled, you can see them and delete them from the registry with this tool. Be careful, don't delete your regular TCP/IP components or parts of programs you have installed.

Reboot and see what happens. If your system doesn't boot properly or acts crazy, reboot again, but press F8 when it asks which OS to install (or just after the hardware part of the boot). Select SafeBoot or Restore (if it is there). Either of these should take a while to boot, but should give you an option to select a restore point and restore your system to that point.
Old 17.12.2009, 12:20
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
Remy,
It's remi. Please, learn to read yourself.

Quote:
I never gave my opinion on Windows Vista or Windows 7, nor did I ask for yours. ... ...all you've done here, aside from making a bunch of incorrect assumptions, is insult someone for following the rules.
When you post on a forum you can expect opinions from other members. If you want to avoid reading those opinions, please stay away from public forums. I don't understand how I might have insulted you. I've not complained that you're not following the rules. I just tried to help you. If you don't accept it, please explain.

Here is what you said about drbits first point "1) Find a real operating system. Regardless of what MS says, 6.1.7600 is still in Beta.":

Quote:
nor am I sure why you made it your number one point? It wasn't helpful... or practical.
That's why I explained M$'s OS not only cause problems but also cause terror among customers. It's unbelievable if you see what people need to install on these OSs in order to feel safe. No wonder that more than half of the problems reported on this forum are caused by M$'s terror.

Quote:
As for your suggestion that I remove my anti-virus... well... that's not something I'm prepared to do either. My computers run just fine; in fact, they run excellently and I don't recall complaining about performance... but then, it seems you're reading a lot of words that just aren't on the page today...
Note that all defences you install on Windoze to protect that crap dump OS will also decrease your computer's performance.
Old 17.12.2009, 21:00

@Fumz:
Since you say that everything was fine until you updated to xmas, I suggest you reinstall JD from the web site and do not allow any xmas updates. Wait for a new release before you update.

We do know that your version of Windows (6.1x64) has a bad memory leak in the kernel. That might not be your problem, but it is a problem other users are having.

As has been mentioned before, if you have a firewall in your router, you do not need a software firewall. I personally would never suggest your run without an antivirus, but that you use one that only scans files when they are opened for read or execute or when you request a scan. If it has other features, turning them off is not sufficient, they leave pieces of code in the OS. You have to uninstall the AV and reinstall it with just the features you want.
Old 17.12.2009, 21:31
Fumz

drbits,

I uninstalled Comodo and deleted the legacy reg keys left behind. Since this is a relatively new install of 7, there's nothing else I've uninstalled. I thought the problem was less severe, but this A.M. I see memory usage is at 70% again. If you have any recommendations on effective anti-virus apps, I'm all ears... please let me know.

I have Bitdefender mostly because I've had Bitdefender for years... and continuing the license was easy; however, I have noticed that with each new release there are fewer and fewer options, so something new would be welcomed.

After I install another AV, I'll give previous versions a shot and see how it goes.

remi,

You assumed to know what I thought of a certain product, then decided to insult my intelligence based on that false assumption. If you can't figure out what's wrong with that, then I can't help you... nobody can really.

Surely there must be another thread you can hijack with nonsense about OS's, right? I mean your work here is done... the e-penis was unleashed... and everyone knows you don't think much of Windows... we get it.
Old 18.12.2009, 11:16
remi

Cool

M$ lovers are becoming rare these days. I hope you're not too young to see M$'s final implosion, because that might hurt you a lot. More and more people are suffering from the computer terror caused by this extremely, criminal mafia company. They're turning away and seeing the light of safe OS's and free, open software.

If flaming and insulting is your last escape, then it shows a lot about what type of person you are. I feel sorry for your state of mind.

I only use my right of free speech. If you can't stand that or if you're living in a dictatorship, then I'm sorry for that as well.
Old 18.12.2009, 12:35
Fumz

Seek help dude, seriously... or perhaps consider another hobby? Being unhinged isn't cool. Since nobody in this thread but you has offered their opinions on Microsoft, you're ranting to yourself.

You asked me to explain what was offensive, and I did. Again: people tend to get offended when you insult them. Not being able to understand this even after it's been pointed out... well... seek help.
Old 18.12.2009, 13:10
remi

Cool

I'm sorry I can't help you if you feel offended by someone who's telling you something that you don't agree with. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings about M$.

I understand that the omertà has been extended to perverted, communist, terrorist organisations like M$.

I recommend you to stay away from forums where free speech is still allowed.